TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Jon Fitch, Christian Wellisch and possibly others cut by UFC

Meltzer on WOR basically summed it up like I thought it had gone down.

Everyone seemed to be okay with the idea of UFC having exclusive rights (They already have rights, just not exclusive) for their contract or employment, or even a few years after, but the lifetime thing is what kills it.

Dana firing Fitch was a scare move. It's like the mafia targeting someone high up in the police. It was a "sign now or else" move instead of it being anything meaningful.

Meltzer seems to suggest the fighters sign the deal, and then when UFC stops using them and tries to retain the rights, simply to take them to court like Brock Lesnar did to WWE. The sheer legality of it all is questionable. I don't think you can enforce any kind of "lifetime rights issue.

The thing with Dana White, is he doesn't get what Vince McMahon gets even when Vince is ragingly pissed. It's a business. Vince hates him some fuckers, but he never mixes personal feelings (at least publically) with business. Dana White goes out and just BURIES AKA and by proxy himself with shit like that. It makes him look horrible, and if I was a fighter, I'd seriously be considering if I want to work with someone like that. Friend today, the next you don't do what he wants and he cuts you.

This is probably the best time for fighters to have this happen, theoretically. It'd be much worse if Affliction was already dead, but you know if Koscheck goes out then they'll try to get him. This'll be so much more worse when there's no other competition other then UFC.

I don't consider a fighter having to cave in to make a living after the president goes on a radio show and blasts you, "everything working out", personally.

Just shows that Dana can make the fighters do whatever he wants. Sad.

Settlement in UFC/Fitch talks

Jon Fitch spoke with Lorenzo Fertitta today and agreed to sign the merchandising contract. He is back in UFC and will fight Jan. 31 against Akihiro Gono as scheduled.

Christian Wellisch has also been reinstated. He had agreed to sign the merchandising contract but was fired as part of the blow-up between Dana White and Zinkin Entertainment, his management company. Right now things are being negotiated regarding the other fighters affected but those aren't settled yet.

F4W

I don't consider a fighter having to cave in to make a living after the president goes on a radio show and blasts you, "everything working out", personally.

Just shows that Dana can make the fighters do whatever he wants. Sad.

More sad for the fact that Fitch is a top-level guy and if he can be made to sign that sends a message loud and clear to lower and mid-level guys to not even attempt this.

Fitch had to go behind Dana's back to Lorenzo to get reinstated because Dana was being so unprofessional.

I can envision a scenario where Dana winds up on the outside looking in. It's not likely, as of now, but still something of a possibility.

Fitch had to go behind Dana's back to Lorenzo to get reinstated because Dana was being so unprofessional.

I can envision a scenario where Dana winds up on the outside looking in. It's not likely, as of now, but still something of a possibility.

But this is pretty much what Lorenzo was brought in for, no? To be the voice of reason to Dana's expletive-laden impulsiveness?

Yeah, don't be surprised in a couple of years if Dana is nothing more than a spokesman...

The funny thing is... Thats what he is right now. You dont think he has to answer to higher ups?