TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/25 - 11/29

Since the Big XII South three-way tie predicament has already been talked about ad nauseam, I thought I'd quickly rundown the conference/divisional races that are still undecided. The one exception is the Sun Belt conference as I couldn't find anywhere on their website that explains there three-way tiebreak rules. I guess they figure no one gives a shit and they are probably right.

And I'm here to attest that the Big XII's three-way tiebreak rules are better than the Pac-10 and MAC.

ACC Atlantic

-Boston College will clinch division if they beat Maryland.

-Florida State will clinch division if Maryland beats Boston College.

ACC Coastal

-Virginia Tech will clinch division if they beat Virginia

-Georgia Tech will clinch division if Virginia beats Virginia Tech

Big East

-Cincinnati will clinch conference title if they beat Syracuse.

-West Virginia will clinch conference title if they beat Pitt and South Florida (12/6) and Syracuse beats Cincinnati

Conference USA West

-Houston will clinch division if they beat Rice.

-Tulsa will clinch division if they beat Marshall and Rice beats Houston.

-Rice will clinch division if they beat Houston and Marshall beats Tulsa.

MAC West

-Ball State will clinch division if they beat Western Michigan.

-Central Michigan will clinch division if they beat Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan beats Ball State.

-Western Michigan will clinch division if they beat Ball State and Eastern Michigan beats Central Michigan.

Pac-10

-Oregon State will clinch Rose Bowl bid if they beat Oregon OR if UCLA beats USC (12/6).

-USC will clinch Rose Bowl bid if they beat UCLA (12/6) and Oregon beats Oregon State.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Western Michigan at #15 Ball State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

Texas A&M at #2 Texas, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

West Virginia at #25 Pittsburgh, Noon/9:00 AM, ABC

LSU at Arkansas, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, CBS

Fresno State at #9 Boise State, 6:00/3:00 PM, ESPN2

UCLA at Arizona State, 9:30/6:30 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

#22 Georgia Tech at #11 Georgia, Noon/9:00 AM, CBS

Virginia at Virginia Tech, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

South Carolina at Clemson, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

Kansas vs. #13 Missouri, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FSN

Grambling vs. Southern, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, NBC

Auburn at #1 Alabama, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

#4 Florida at #20 Florida State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2*

Maryland at #21 Boston College, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2*

Baylor at #7 Texas Tech, 3:30/12:30 PM, Versus

Kentucky at Tennessee, 6:30/3:30 PM, ESPN2

#23 Oregon at #17 Oregon State, 7:00/4:00 PM, Versus

#3 Oklahoma at #12 Oklahoma State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

Notre Dame at #5 USC, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

TUESDAY

Navy at Northern Illinois, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN Classic

FRIDAY

Ohio at Miami of Ohio, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, ESPNU

Mississippi State at Mississippi, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Raycom/GP

UTEP at East Carolina, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, CBSCS

Kent State at Buffalo, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, GP

Bowling Green at Toledo, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPN Classic

SATURDAY

FCS Playoffs First Round: South Carolina State at Appalachian State, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

Miami at N.C. State, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom/GP

Syracuse at #16 Cincinnati, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Nevada at Louisiana Tech, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, GP

New Mexico State at Utah State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

North Carolina at Duke, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPNU

Houston at Rice, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBSCS

Vanderbilt at Wake Forest, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

Washington State at Hawaii, 11:00/8:00 PM, GP

All Other Division I-A Games

FRIDAY

Central Michigan at Eastern Michigan

Akron at Temple

SATURDAY

UAB at UCF

Arkansas State at North Texas

Southern Miss at SMU

Tulane at Memphis

Tulsa at Marshall

FIU at Florida Atlantic

Edited by Bored

Screw the I-A division... F-C-S I-AA Playoffs! are kicking off, booyah!

And only one 1st Round game is on ESPNU? Boo...

Here's the 1st Round Schedule!

November 29th

12:00 PM: South Carolina State (10-2) @ Appalachian State (10-2)

2:00 PM: New Hampshire (9-2) @ Southern Illinois (9-2)

2:05 PM: Texas State (8-4) @ Montana (11-1)

5:05 PM: Maine (8-4) @ Northern Iowa (10-2)

9:05 PM: Weber State (9-3) @ Cal Poly (9-3)

TBA: Wofford (9-2) @ James Madison (10-1)

TBA: Eastern Kentucky (8-3) @ Richmond (9-3)

TBA: Colgate (9-2) @ Villanova (9-2)

Other Game of Note

- 35th Bayou Classic: Grambling State (9-2) @ Southern (6-4) on NBC at 2:00 PM

BSU gonna clench the MAC Tuesday night. Everyone watch the game.

MAC Title game is next week.

FUN FACT - If everyone in the top 3 of the Big 12 South loses this week, Tech goes!

Good point.

Meant MAC West.

BSU gonna clench the MAC Tuesday night. Everyone watch the game.

MAC Title game is next week.

FUN FACT - If everyone in the top 3 of the Big 12 South loses this week, Tech goes!

If everyone in the top 3 of the Big XII South loses (that being Tech, OU and Texas) then it's still a 3-way tie with them all having 2 losses. If OU loses then Tech goes because they have the tiebreaker over Texas.

In all actuality if it's between OU and Texas and one goes to the title game over the other then the one that didn't go will probably end up getting the BCS nod if the other loses to Mizzou. That's what I've heard anyway and the rankings right now lead you to believe that.

I have an even more bizarre scenario along those lines. Let's say OK State beats OU on Saturday. OU would go from possible national title game to finishing 4th in the Big 12 South. Texas Tech would end up going to the Big 12 title game over Texas (head to head win if both win out) and face Mizzou. We have pondered what would happen if Mizzou won that game, but what if Tech simply wins it? They would be below both Texas and OU in the BCS standings and the Mizzou win isn't so astounding that it would vault them from #7 to 2.

There would be no viable way to take either Texas or OU in that scenario since a 1 loss team from the same conf. would be the conf. champion. USC is out for various reasons like being in a mediocre Pac 10 and possibly not even winning that league if Oregon State beats Oregon, not to mention the notion of taking USC over an undefeated Utah team that beat Oregon State.

I have an even more bizarre scenario along those lines. Let's say OK State beats OU on Saturday. OU would go from possible national title game to finishing 4th in the Big 12 South. Texas Tech would end up going to the Big 12 title game over Texas (head to head win if both win out) and face Mizzou. We have pondered what would happen if Mizzou won that game, but what if Tech simply wins it? They would be below both Texas and OU in the BCS standings and the Mizzou win isn't so astounding that it would vault them from #7 to 2.

There would be no viable way to take either Texas or OU in that scenario since a 1 loss team from the same conf. would be the conf. champion. USC is out for various reasons like being in a mediocre Pac 10 and possibly not even winning that league if Oregon State beats Oregon, not to mention the notion of taking USC over an undefeated Utah team that beat Oregon State.

I'm not following this at all.

A 1-loss Tech team would go since they won the Big 12.

Texas would go for being the next rated team in the BCS, if not the national title game then certainly the Fiesta or something. That's why at-large bids exist! And again, there's no rule that a non conference champion can't go to the title game. If anything, it's been proven to be the opposite at times.

USC would win the Pac 10 if they win out, they just won't be the BCS representative. They would need an at-large.

Why would OU be ranked ahead of Tech if OU lost to OSU?

Oh I can't wait for the UF/FSU game. I hope UF beats them good so they can be above Texas in the BCS like they should be. Oh and go A&M.

Man the Florida people are really angry about this Florida being behind OU and Texas thing as if it really matters at all. It doesn't matter at all where Florida is ranked at this point, beat 'Bama and you're in. That simple. Who cares if OU and Texas are ahead right now? Sheesh people.

Nobody really cares. Every Gator fan knows win and we're in.

Cowboy doesn't seem to think that.

As for cabbageboy, Utah beat Oregon State by 3 at home. USC lost to them on the ROAD. Disregarding that, your next biggest win is over BYU, already tainted by a loss. But if we're using BCS power conferences only, your biggest win was over a Michigan team that obviously suck. You're right, they should go over USC who would in theory have beaten teams like Ohio State, Notre Dame, Virginia, etc. Try again. I mean, I know you hate USC, but shut the fuck up.

And that's not just to cabbageboy. Everyone needs to shut up about Utah. They proved nothing. Their first REAL test is the BCS bowl. That's way too late.

Utah deserves a shot a lot more than Ball State does. Oregon State, TCU, and BYU are legit enough wins. Let them have their BCS shot, and hopefully it's against someone a little better than Pittsburgh this time.

(Even though I still say THAT Utah team was a once-in-a-blue-moon really good mid major that could have won the national title. And this one isn't. Oh well.)

NEITHER Utah or Ball State deserves the shot. USC doesn't either, but they would deserve it more than Utah, is my point.

And get off the 2004 team. As good as they were, they weren't as good as USC or Auburn or even Oklahoma.

I said the 2004 team has a CHANCE. And I meant a shot in the BCS series. You know, the other 4 games besides the fake national title game we'll end up with.

Noted Ball State hater (?) Ray Bentley just said Ball State deserves a shot at a national title if they go undefeated. Yeah, he's real biased so far.

You said they could have won the national title. That's not saying they could make a BCS bowl (which they did do). So I merely pointed out that it was not likely. And who's Ray Bentley and why should I care about his opinion?

(looking at google, he's some random ESPN analyst)

Ok yeah, who cares? It'll suck when USC misses out the title game, but Florida/Alabama and Oklahoma/Texas are a lot more deserving than Utah or Ball State.

You said they could have won the national title. That's not saying they could make a BCS bowl (which they did do). So I merely pointed out that it was not likely. And who's Ray Bentley and why should I care about his opinion?

Ok yeah, who cares? It'll suck when USC misses out the title game, but Florida/Alabama and Oklahoma/Texas are a lot more deserving than Utah or Ball State.

I said they deserve a shot in the BCS (series, not title game, since apparently there's no S in BCS) THIS YEAR, then said 2004 Utah COULD HAVE won the national title. It's two different things.

Also, I was making a comment on this game currently on, because someone kept saying Ray Bentley is biased against Ball State. It has nothing to do with whatever inane argment you want to make since I was agreeing Utah doesn't deserve a national title shot, and I've been saying Ball State shouldn't even be in the BCS.

I said they deserve a shot in the BCS (series, not title game, since apparently there's no S in BCS) THIS YEAR, then said 2004 Utah COULD HAVE won the national title. It's two different things.

Also, I was making a comment on this game currently on, because someone kept saying Ray Bentley is biased against Ball State. It has nothing to do with whatever inane argment you want to make since I was agreeing Utah doesn't deserve a national title shot, and I've been saying Ball State shouldn't even be in the BCS.

Gotcha. You were making the points in different posts so it confused me until you explained it all together.

Honestly, it makes me sound like I'd be a perfect BCS conference chairman, who gives no respect to the smaller conferences, but until there's a playoff, I don't ever really think a mid major deserves the title game shot. In a playoff, you'd see the mid major knock off legitimate teams, and therefore, their credibility is raised enough and you can't argue against their appearance in the title game. But how do you reward them when their biggest wins are over teams that usually end up in the middle of the pack of other conferences?

What other people seem to forget, and I'm guilty of this with Florida this year, is you play USC/Oregon State ten times. I doubt Oregon State would hold a winning record against USC in that series. Same goes for Florida/Ole Miss. It bugs me that, while it proves the "THE SEASON IS THE PLAYOFFS!" talking point, it can only take one miscue or one slip up, and you're forever doomed as "not deserving to be anywhere near the conversation".

That's the main thing that bothers me about the BCS. You can be the New York Giants and afford to lose 2-3 more games the rest of this season. You can be North Carolina basketball and afford to have 5-6 losses. Hell, even a high school football team (at least in my state) can lose 3 games and still make the playoffs. But in Division I-A football*, a team like Texas (for example) can lose only one close game on the road against a top-10 team and potentially have zero shot of competing for the national title. The regular season and the playoffs are supposed to be two different things; no other sport at any level has this type of system. Every other sport has some type of playoff or tournament to determine their champions.

*On another note, why the hell do they have this FBS and FCS junk anyways?

That's the main thing that bothers me about the BCS. You can be the New York Giants and afford to lose 2-3 more games the rest of this season. You can be North Carolina basketball and afford to have 5-6 losses. Hell, even a high school football team (at least in my state) can lose 3 games and still make the playoffs. But in Division I-A football*, a team like Texas (for example) can lose only one close game on the road against a top-10 team and potentially have zero shot of competing for the national title.

*On another note, why the hell do they have this FBS and FCS junk anyways?

And I'm sure it infuriated you when it bit Michigan in 2006. I mean, you lose to the #1 ranked team, and you no longer had a shot. It sucks.

Well it does, but under the current system, that's the way it goes. I think a playoff will happen at some point. It might not be until these TV deals expire, but it's gotta happen eventually.

Looks like Ball St.'s taking care of business against Western Michigan. It'll be interesting to see which bowl they end up in (if they win the MAC title game). It would suck to see them in the Motor City Bowl but it may very well happen.

Announcers talking about Utah made the comment about the conference thing and here's my issue with that "argument"...

Let's say you have a Utah or a Ball State and you have their scheduling. How are they supposed to get such a 'conference' comparable schedule to an SEC or Big 12 schedule? Coming into the season, I'm sure people were expecting the Big 10 to be better and it wasn't so Penn State kind of got screwed over once they lost.

It bugs me that everybody (mostly media and fans of the big conferences) talk about how a team like Utah played in a poor conference and didn't face the quality of competition that a Florida did. Short of scheduling Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, and Alabama as OOC opponents how is Utah supposed to help itself there? Utah and others (Boise State off the top of my head) schedule and beat mid major teams in conferences like the Pac 10 and Big 12 but there's always going to be the argument about SOS that essentially dooms any and all mid major teams.

To MFer: I think they changed the names to make them sound more professional and comparable rather than DI-AA being seen as second level and a couple notches below the competition at the I-A level.