TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

Ok seriously. I know the whole 3-way tie thing has been argued to death (especially by me) but ESPN sure has kept it alive all week. Everytime the Big XII title game is brought up they have to bring up that it should be Texas (despite the fact that Texas agreed on these rules before the season) but there is one thing that is really bugging me that I have to ask some of you guys about.

And that's the Tech being thrown out of the equation thing to justify Texas going ahead of OU. McShay keeps saying "I know it's a 3-way tie, but I think you have to throw Tech out after the way they got dominated at OU."

So what I'm wondering is.....why is this a strike against OU? People keep throwing Tech out and wanting to prop Texas over OU because OU destroyed Tech enough to make them completely fall off the face of the planet. So why isn't OU given credit for this? I have not heard one person at that network give OU credit. It's always "Tech lost bad so they're out. It's down to OU and Texas and OU won head to head." Not "Well Texas beat OU but lost to Tech. Then OU completely killed Tech. It's obvious the Sooners are playing great now with the way they manhandled Tech." No credit at all for the win over Tech, just another excuse to prop Texas up.

I guess I shouldn't care since OU is in the game and will go to the national title game if they win Saturday (despite what some conspiracy theorists say), but I mean damn it's frustrating to continually hear that and never hear credit being given for why Tech was knocked out of the equation. They act like it was all Tech screwing up.

Oh well McShay and Kiper are douche bags anyway who always think they're right.

In other news.............Sarkisian may be the man in Washington. . Before you know it every head coach in college football will have worked for Pete Carroll, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Bobby Bowden or Bill Snyder at some point or another.\

Dama, stop it. Seriously.

Tech getting thrown out is because of how fucking stupid the Big 12 rule was and in showing that despite it being a 3 way tie, the only two reasonable teams to discuss were both OU and Texas due to Tech's drop in the rankings.

Sorry Dama but OU beating Tech isn't the huge thing you think it is because Tech's always been like, the Groom's friend that isn't awesome enough to be best man...but like, he's been a friend long enough that you've gotta like, invite him anway or he gets all pissy and shows up drunk and ruins things. Everyone figured Tech would drop a game after beating Texas (and hell, there were enough thinking they wouldn't win that game anyway) and were simply waiting for the shoe to drop.

Well it did...and it dropped hard. Tech got exposed and while OU did demolish them, they hurt their own standings because of how easy they wrecked 'em. Make no sense? Partially, but had OU won a close game..it would've validated Tech's ranking and climb up the Big 12 this year and make it look like a bigger win for OU instead of everyone writing Tech off once more and OU simply validating what everyone already knew.

So as mentioned above, you then look to OU and Texas as to who deserves the spot and while yes.. in the large scheme of the 3-way race and OU playing some good ball after losing to Texas, it remained they lost to Texas and when comparing just those two teams, its fair to put Texas ahead.

...and as far as this "Oh..well .. Texas and Mack Brown agreed to this..and Mack's just bitching and politicking.." shut it. Stoops would've done the same fucking thing if not worse if he was having to watch Texas play the Big 12 title game based on some bullshit ruling.

*ahem*

Oh, and Rutger's killed Louisville. Here's to Notre Dame simply accepting the bid to the Texas Bowl and giving me a chance to see my first ND game.

So four years of 9+ wins (including 11-2 and 13-0 seasons), 6-1 in bowl games since 2002 and six previous straight wins over your rival provided no job security whatsoever, huh

Did I miss something here?

He resigned of his own free will; Auburn said his job was safe, tried to get him to reconsider 3 times, and agreed to give him the $5.1 million buyout even though they weren't required to once they gave up trying to win him back.

Okay, I haven't said a huge amount about the current pathetic state of U of L's football program in these threads this season, but here goes. This is absolutely embarrassing, seeing a program that only 2 years ago was a FG from playing for a national title now not even try and lose 63-14 on national TV to the same team. Steve Kragthorpe was never an especially inspiring hire, but the sheer swiftness of U of L's decline is jarring. I figured maybe the Cards would get 1 more good year with Brohm still there before the rebuilding and/or decline began, but U of L didn't even make a bowl. Think about that: 12-1 to 6-6 in one year with some of the same personnel. Losing to Syracuse back to back years. Have an abysmal kicking game that makes FGs all but impossible and thus lose seemingly any close game.

Seriously, take a look at what has happened to Hunter Cantwell this year. Under Petrino, Cantwell got in a few games when Brohm was hurt (including the Gator Bowl vs. Va Tech). He looked pretty solid in 2006 in a couple of starts. But look at how horribly he has regressed this year. In every game the TV announcers harp on Cantwell's bizarre windup throwing motion, yet at no point has this been corrected during the season. Hopefully this inept coaching hasn't totally ruined any pro chances for Cantwell, since maybe a real QB coach could fix his mechanics.

Ron English should leave while he can. Eastern Michigan wants him to be head coach? Take the job, man. This situation here is about to get really ugly. Bear in mind as well that stadium expansion is going to begin soon so unless the team improves we'll likely see 20,000 people in a 60,000 seat Papa John's Cardinal Stadium on TV.

Tonight has to be the final straw. Tom Jurich has to fire Steve Kragthorpe after this fiasco, at least he better if U of L wants to have any football fans left. I defy anyone to name another coach who has done a worse job in the past 2 years than this buffoon. It would be less insulting if Kragthrope didn't try and blame all of his problems on Bobby Petrino and the so called "mess" he left. Yeah, the guy left you a 12-1 Orange Bowl team. All coaches should inherit such a mess!

The Cardinals are getting ass-raped worse than the Raiders. I didn't think that was possible.

That's good for you. Puts me behind the 8-ball in our matchup. Thanks a lot Louisville for shitting the bed and smearing it all over the walls.

Oh and Sarkisian going to Washington? Yeah, go ahead, take him.

Check out this bit from Eric Crawford of the Louisville Courier-Journal:

I asked U of L coach Steve Kragthorpe about his future at U of L, and he said, "I'm here for the long haul."

He added, "If I were going to leave, I'd have left last year."

If Sarkisian to Washington is true... then good for him. I always liked him better than Lane Kiffin. I always thought the Sarkisian had run his course at USC anyways; this last years and this years offense were kind of off to me. No reason with all those blue chippers USC has on offense to struggle like they have.

...and as far as this "Oh..well .. Texas and Mack Brown agreed to this..and Mack's just bitching and politicking.." shut it. Stoops would've done the same fucking thing if not worse if he was having to watch Texas play the Big 12 title game based on some bullshit ruling.

Point is he knew the rule and he agreed to it, so he has no cause to bitch. If he thought the rule was unfair then he shouldn't have agreed to it at the time it was put in place. It only became unfair once it didn't benefit him. So that's what he needs to shut up.

And yeah Tech was the little sister, but they were ranked 2 in the country and very much in the race for the Big XII and national title. Then OU completely took them out of the race. What I'm saying is that OU is more punished for doing that than given credit for it.

As someone who rooted against the Sooners for years simply because of Damaramu, I've got to say he's 100% right here. The argument being put forth by the mainstream media about Texas deserving the shot over OU is one of the single dumbest arguments I've ever heard in my life. And they're still going on about it days later. Listening to these blathering idiots trying to influence the national title picture is like toddlers telling NASA how to build rockets. The fact that if OU played in the SEC, they could have lost the conference because they won by too many points is mind-boggling.

Ahh... I remember the last time OU won their games by "too many" points... they got their asses handed to them by USC. Perhaps people remember that, and sees a similar scenario vs Florida?

But yes, ESPN needs to shut up, and Damaramu needs to cool off on regurgitating ESPN points here. I don't watch ESPN because of all the crap they say, I don't need to have it brought over here in this forum.

Two things:

1) Why are we still on this?

2) Why does the guy whose team WON the argument keep bringing it up?

THANK YOU.

Christ, you'd think there was nothing else in the entire college football world going on.

Maryland has accepted a bowl bid to face Nevada on the blue field. Fuck.

Ahh... I remember the last time OU won their games by "too many" points... they got their asses handed to them by USC. Perhaps people remember that, and sees a similar scenario vs Florida?

What? You have your years mixed up. They had a ton of close calls the year they played USC. It was the year they played LSU that they dominated everyone in the regular season.

Oh my bad. Point is, don't bring ESPN here, please.

Why? They're practically taking over the sports world and have a very big influence on what the rest of the media and the average joe fan thinks.

Why? They're practically taking over the sports world and have a very big influence on what the rest of the media and the average joe fan thinks.

Yeah, but nobody here likes to watch ESPN. Really, I don't want to hear their stuff either. Not be rude or anything, I just don't.

And you wonder why people here look down on you? If you can't give us credit for formulating our own thoughts on things in the sports world without relying on ESPN, I don't know what to tell you.

And you wonder why people here look down on you? If you can't give us credit for formulating our own thoughts on things in the sports world without relying on ESPN, I don't know what to tell you.

Wow way to jump to conclusions. Quit assuming what I'm saying.

I never said anyone here is influenced by what they say. However because so many people are what they say pisses me off and I want to mention it in the college football thread (since it is cfb related) to see if people agree or disagree or have any thoughts.

Wow way to jump to conclusions. Quit assuming what I'm saying.

I never said anyone here is influenced by what they say. However because so many people are what they say pisses me off and I want to mention it in the college football thread (since it is cfb related) to see if people agree or disagree or have any thoughts.

I'm not trying to start up anything. I understand what you're trying to do, but when most people here are telling you to knock it off, that means they are probably not interested. And hell some other posters just repeated what I said, so that should tell you something. I mean it's really like this:

You: "Hey listen to what these morons are saying! Blah blah"

Others: "They're just morons. Ignore it."

You: "But they are so important, we need to listen!"

So, ESPN: Dama :: Glenn Beck : Marvin ?

Maybe I should lay down the law when it comes to discussing ESPN talking points in the college football threads. Anyone agree?

It's up to you guys. I won't do anything unless I get an overwhelming response in favor of it.