TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 12/3 - 12/6

Ok I said something earlier that was kind of glossed over in all the OU heat. Boise being left out. Does nobody else think Texas vs. Boise would be wildly more entertaining than Texas vs. Ohio State?

I honestly don't think Boise State is all that good this year, and I think TCU (who really are a good team) is going to beat them fairly soundly. BSU's only really good win this year was against Oregon, in a game where the Ducks played most of the game with their 4th string QB who couldn't get the ball more than 10 yards downfield through the air, and finished 0-3 passing with 2 INTs. If the Ducks had taken the redshirt off their 5th string QB at halftime they might have been able to complete the comeback and win that game.

San Diego really lucked out with the bowl matchups. The 2nd best mid-major team (TCU) against the 3rd or 4th best (Boise State, depending on what you think of BYU), then the best 3-loss team in the country (Oklahoma State) against an Oregon team that is really good when they bring their game (and really sucks when they don't, so I'm hoping for the former, both as a Ducks fan and someone who wants to see a good game).

Hmm...

Something that struck me was the massive difference between the offenses/defenses of the Big 12 and SEC (in light of Tebow's comment).

In the SEC, the top two offensive teams went 12-1 with PF/PA of: Florida - 587/167 and Alabama - 405/169. Only three other teams offensively topped 300 points scored on the season!

In the Big 12: Oklahoma - 702/319 (Av. 54 PPG), Texas - 527/223, Texas Tech - 535/315, Oklahoma State - 499/323, and Missouri - 561/358. Of note, only one team (Colorado) scored fewer than 300 points on the season.

Personally, I think part of the reason that SEC is so defensively dominant is because the opposing offenses straight up SUCK. In the SEC, it seems like scoring 20-21 points is something to be celebrated whereas in the Big 12, scoring 28-30 may not guarantee a victory. I'm with Dama that part of the "success" in the Big 12 is because the offenses are so explosive both passing and running.

The one game that Florida lost? They allowed 31 points, their season high, to Mississippi. Mississippi also outscored Florida 24-13 in the 2nd half of that game. As dominant as Florida has been, they've NEVER faced an offense as explosive as the one posed by Oklahoma and I think if Oklahoma can score quickly and early, it'll force Florida on their heels rather than getting up 24-3 or 28-10 and being able to wind the game down.

God I'm so fucking glad I worked all day today and didn't have to deal with Dama-mania running wild on the boards.

Bro, OU is being "doubted" against Florida because they're fucking Florida and have been a solid team all year with a QB who could potentially be the first in a long while to win back to back Heisman's. A prolific offense and a coach that's about as big a douche as Stoops is and wouldn't mind running up the score for all to see that the SEC is better than the Big 12.

The "OH EM GEE! Mack voted his team numbah one!!!~!11" shit is laughable..I like how you don't mention how Tech and a few others voted them down at 5th.

The "6 Big 12 Titles and One Nat'l Title" ... wow Dama, for the most part its beat Texas and you're going to the Big 12 game to destroy some sorry ass Big 12 North team..I love my conference as much as the next guy, but mopping up a Mizzou a K-State or Nebraska or even Colorado isn't going to instill much respect into your team from the national media...and that whole "well, they tend to not play well when picked to win" is a damning point to Stoops in that he can't get his team up for every game and thus isn't the second coming of Jesus walking the America's that everyone in Norman wants to believe.

As far as where we ended up? I'm happy with a Fiesta Bowl birth and a shot at Ohio State. Graned, I'd love to have seen Utah or Boise in there because I personally believe they deserve it more than Ohio State but hey..too big-time programs in a marquee bowl. I have no clue why we'd be deflated when we went into last night knowing we'd need OU to pull a choke job and thus didn't get our hopes up too high. We just now get to look forward to Jesus Christ Superstar himself walking down to the stadium from his place at God's right hand to vanquish the vile land-squatters and bring about glory to those that believe in Tebow.

Oh..lastly... fuck Notre Dame. I can only hope Hawaii either crushes the golden domers or the islander's get pissy and the warrior's start another Hawaii Bowl beat-down.

Dama is quickly morphing back into old Dama. OU's gotten every break this year. They are no. 1 in the nation and playing for the national title. How anyone can think that they've been disrespected is beyond me.

ARGH! Why is nobody reading what I'm writing!?!? I never said they were being disrespected!

even though OU is No. 1 they're going to be talked down to and disrespected in the month leading up to this title game.

So this does bode well for OU if they continue to be disrespected.

Anyway.. i can't believe the fucking GMAC Bowl or whatever the hell it's called is on January 6. That is a joke. Although, it might end up being one of the more exciting bowl games if it is just offense, offense, offense like I think it will be.

I love my conference as much as the next guy, but mopping up a Mizzou a K-State or Nebraska or even Colorado isn't going to instill much respect into your team from the national media

hey now, one of those teams actually won a conference championship this decade!

Hmmm........the first quote you listed does not incriminate me because I am saying that it will happen in the future. Nice try. The first one was a reaction to the amount of hype Florida has gotten and the questioning of OU's defense. Once again.....nice try. ;)

I love my conference as much as the next guy, but mopping up a Mizzou a K-State or Nebraska or even Colorado isn't going to instill much respect into your team from the national media

hey now, one of those teams actually won a conference championship this decade!

oh wait, forgot about Colorado's title in '01

Oops

God I'm so fucking glad I worked all day today and didn't have to deal with Dama-mania running wild on the boards.

A few posts and it's Dama-mania? Wow dude.

Bro, OU is being "doubted" against Florida because they're fucking Florida and have been a solid team all year with a QB who could potentially be the first in a long while to win back to back Heisman's. A prolific offense and a coach that's about as big a douche as Stoops is and wouldn't mind running up the score for all to see that the SEC is better than the Big 12.

Florida is a good team. A very good team. They have a great QB and a great offense. They also lost to Ole' Miss at home. So let's not get ahead of ourselves and pretend they steamrolled everything in their path.

The "OH EM GEE! Mack voted his team numbah one!!!~!11" shit is laughable..I like how you don't mention how Tech and a few others voted them down at 5th.

Well actually I was wondering aloud if Mack had voted himself #1 and Psycho Penguin was kind enough to inform me he didn't. Not sure where you're going with this.....

The "6 Big 12 Titles and One Nat'l Title" ... wow Dama, for the most part its beat Texas and you're going to the Big 12 game to destroy some sorry ass Big 12 North team..I love my conference as much as the next guy, but mopping up a Mizzou a K-State or Nebraska or even Colorado isn't going to instill much respect into your team from the national media...and that whole "well, they tend to not play well when picked to win" is a damning point to Stoops in that he can't get his team up for every game and thus isn't the second coming of Jesus walking the America's that everyone in Norman wants to believe.

So you don't think winning 6 Big XII titles and a national title is good at all? So you're telling me that you're not impressed with Mack Brown as a coach? Because he's won 1 Big XII title and a national title. So if OU winning 6 isn't impressive to you then you must think that Mack sucks the big one since he can only win 1.

I also don't know a coach in America that can get his team up for every game. Not even the best coach in CFB Pete Carroll (that's not a joke, i really think he is) can get his team up for every game. Especially when they're supposed to blow their opponent out. Once again, not sure where you're going with that.

As far as where we ended up? I'm happy with a Fiesta Bowl birth and a shot at Ohio State. Graned, I'd love to have seen Utah or Boise in there because I personally believe they deserve it more than Ohio State but hey..too big-time programs in a marquee bowl. I have no clue why we'd be deflated when we went into last night knowing we'd need OU to pull a choke job and thus didn't get our hopes up too high. We just now get to look forward to Jesus Christ Superstar himself walking down to the stadium from his place at God's right hand to vanquish the vile land-squatters and bring about glory to those that believe in Tebow.

Yes, the Fiesta Bowl is a good bowl. And Ohio State sucks, so your team lucked out there too. Looks like Texas will probably bring another BCS bowl win home. Good for you getting to cheer your team on doing that.

I'm just going to say this now before things get out of hand. I'm not looking to get into any huge board spanning arguments with everyone on the board where I type everything in all caps and froth at the mouth. If that's what you're expecting then stop, because it's not going to happen.

OU is my favorite team. I am an alumni of OU. Obviously I will want to talk about OU and them playing in the national title game. If you don't like that because you have bad memories of me or OU then just don't talk to me. I'm not going to get into any flame wars over this. If me mentioning OU or saying anything about OU annoys you or bugs you because of said bad memories, not liking me, not liking OU, or any other number of reasons then please just put me on ignore.

I really am not looking for any trouble.

Thank you.

Guest Vitamin X

Good job on handling that, Dama.

I also don't want things getting out of hand here. Funny thing with Texas that the only people who seem to care Texas is being left out are- surprise- Longhorn fans! but I do kind of enjoy watching Red River rivalry bitching back and forth.

A: While I don't think Brown sucks the big one, I don't think he's a great coach. Masterful recruiter..yes. Awesome coach? No. He's been complimented by outstanding Def. Coordinators and has had some great talent walk into DKR but his inabilities to get past OU and once past OU not choke to AnM or any other Big 12 team and his poor clock management always come back to bite us in the ass. Look at the Tech game for the proof on the latter.

Like I said, I'm as proud of the Big 12 as the next person is of their conference, but lets face facts... the power of our conference is in the South and until it either gets re-destributed or the North climbs back into prominence, winning the Big 12 isn't that huge a measuring stick of how great of a coach you are. Again, as far as OU goes.. get past Texas and its almost certain you're going to the title game and nearly just as certain you'll win the conference.

B: I will enjoy rooting on the Longhorns in the Fiesta Bowl and knocking off Mr. Sweater-Vest in Phoenix whilst I sit along side my friend who's a huge tOSU fan and sing "Texas Fight" all night. I can only hope recent bowl game mishaps don't crop back up and cause the city of Norman to implode.

VX: I'm not too pissed we got left out...again, if we had handled our business we'd be playing Florida. The only complaints come from a BS tie-break rule. (Yes Dama... I know that crazy ol' Mack Brown agreed to it...) I'm happy we're goin to the Fiesta Bowl and only upset that we couldn't play a team like Boise or Utah who again, I think deserve the bid more than tOSU.

I hate OU because Jim Ross instilled it in me with his retarded, gay, faggoty, stupid, ignorant, gay, ugly, phony, bitchy, gay shilling about BOOMER SOONER~! every Monday night.

That said, please win the Rose Bowl, Nittany Lions?

Good job on handling that, Dama.

I also don't want things getting out of hand here. Funny thing with Texas that the only people who seem to care Texas is being left out are- surprise- Longhorn fans) but I do kind of enjoy watching Red River rivalry bitching back and forth.

I am confused as to why you used a right parenthesis and not a left one in the same sentence. MASS HEADACHE

Did anyone here actually watch the Ole Miss-Florida game? It was a bad loss, yes, but Florida all but handed Mississippi the game with something like 3 turnovers in the second half. Florida played easily one of their worst games since the Zook era for fuck sakes. And after all that, they were still a 4th and 1 (and a botched extra point) away from winning the game. It's not like Florida got handled easily like some people make it seem.

Did anyone here actually watch the Ole Miss-Florida game? It was a bad loss, yes, but Florida all but handed Mississippi the game with something like 3 turnovers in the second half. Florida played easily one of their worst games since the Zook era for fuck sakes. And after all that, they were still a 4th and 1 (and a botched extra point) away from winning the game. It's not like Florida got handled easily like some people make it seem.

I'm with this guy.

Hmm...

Something that struck me was the massive difference between the offenses/defenses of the Big 12 and SEC (in light of Tebow's comment).

In the SEC, the top two offensive teams went 12-1 with PF/PA of: Florida - 587/167 and Alabama - 405/169. Only three other teams offensively topped 300 points scored on the season!

In the Big 12: Oklahoma - 702/319 (Av. 54 PPG), Texas - 527/223, Texas Tech - 535/315, Oklahoma State - 499/323, and Missouri - 561/358. Of note, only one team (Colorado) scored fewer than 300 points on the season.

Personally, I think part of the reason that SEC is so defensively dominant is because the opposing offenses straight up SUCK. In the SEC, it seems like scoring 20-21 points is something to be celebrated whereas in the Big 12, scoring 28-30 may not guarantee a victory. I'm with Dama that part of the "success" in the Big 12 is because the offenses are so explosive both passing and running.

The one game that Florida lost? They allowed 31 points, their season high, to Mississippi. Mississippi also outscored Florida 24-13 in the 2nd half of that game. As dominant as Florida has been, they've NEVER faced an offense as explosive as the one posed by Oklahoma and I think if Oklahoma can score quickly and early, it'll force Florida on their heels rather than getting up 24-3 or 28-10 and being able to wind the game down.

You also have to consider that Florida has also faced better defenses than Oklahoma. It goes both ways here. While Oklahoma can claim to have faced a better defense than Florida (TCU at #2 shockingly), it was at home. This one will be at a neutral site, and actually closer to Florida's home base.

You also have to consider that Florida has also faced better defenses than Oklahoma. It goes both ways here. While Oklahoma can claim to have faced a better defense than Florida (TCU at #2 shockingly), it was at home. This one will be at a neutral site, and actually closer to Florida's home base.

Fair enough but those SEC defenses proved they too can allow points in bunches to the opposition. Alabama when confronted with a decent offense allowed 30 to Georgia and 31 to Florida. Arkansas allowed 49 to Alabama and 52 to Texas. Auburn allowed 34 to West Virginia and 36 to Alabama. Georgia allowed 41 to Alabama, 38 to LSU, 38 to Kentucky, and 45 to Georgia Tech. LSU allowed Troy to 31 and Mississippi to 31. Mississippi allowed 30 to Wake Forest.

Having a great defense is swell but doesn't matter much when you can barely score more than 20 points a game (Hi Tennessee (17), South Carolina (22), Auburn (17)). If you want to go the record route, the Big 12 was also much tougher with 6 teams finishing at 8-4 or better.

Florida and Tebow can throw the ball, but partly 'cause of stout defenses, he's never been asked to utilize his arm to win a game against an opponent that can drop 50+ on you if they heat up quickly. They lost to Michigan after allowing 41 points last year and they weren't a powerhouse offensively (Tebow threw for only 154 yards but had 3 TD).

Since 2005, Florida has gone 2-1 in Bowl Games: 31-24 win over Iowa, 41-14 win over Ohio State, and 41-35 loss to Michigan. Ohio State had averaged 36 points prior to the NC game. Oklahoma is averaging around 54... either way, this is gonna be a big test defensively for Florida and I honestly don't expect a 42-21 type win for Florida. If anything, I expect this to more resemble Oklahoma/Texas earlier in the year, a 35-32 finish or something similar.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think Oklahoma is going to blow Florida's doors off. 56-31. Something like that.

Harley, UK has a good offense? They were like 100 or so in offense in Div. 1.

I won't try and predict every bowl game, but here are some early BCS game predictions:

Title game: Florida vs. Oklahoma. We all know the deal. It's OU. It's a national title game. OU hasn't scored less than 35 this year, so that is likely what they get here. Florida 52-35.

Rose Bowl: USC vs. Penn State. Best BCS game and the only one I can actually say I am looking forward to seeing. The Big 10 has been a bit underrated this year so for whatever reason I'll say Penn St. wins this thing 28-27.

Sugar Bowl: Alabama vs. Utah. Every year there is that one team that has their dreams crushed and winds up tanking in a bowl game. With Nick Saban at the helm, I don't think that is Bama. That said Utah seems like a legit team so Bama will have to bring it. Alabama 20-16.

Orange Bowl: Cincy vs. Virginia Tech. This may well be the most useless major bowl in history, especially when there are fun undercard bowls like Boise/TCU. Having seen Cincy a few times this year I feel safe in saying they aren't any good, so by default I'll take VT 24-14. That said, can the ACC please put forth a serious BCS team instead of 4 loss FSU or VT teams?

Fiesta Bowl: Remember the part about a team that gets screwed and tanks a bowl game? I think that Texas will be really deflated here and OSU will be happy to get what is an unwarranted BCS game. Buckeyes 35-31.

The Rose Bowl matchup is the most interesting game to me. Seems like both of those teams have been forgotten in a bit the madness surrounding the Florida-Alabama-Texas-Oklahoma logjam. Not a lot of respect given to a couple of one-loss teams who won BCS conferences. Granted, the resume might not look as good as those other teams at the top, but they won the games when they counted. Whatever, no sense in beating a dead horse.

Rose Bowl: USC vs. Penn State. Best BCS game and the only one I can actually say I am looking forward to seeing. The Big 10 has been a bit underrated this year so for whatever reason I'll say Penn St. wins this thing 28-27.

What's your logic for this one? I'm just curious. I can see either team winning this game, but I'm inclined to choose the team that quite frankly don't know how to lose against the Big Ten. Of course, that could be homerism speaking.

And at the Rose Bowl, which is almost a home game for USC. Yes Texas beat them there but it required a hell of a 4th quarter performance by Vince Young to do it.

I wish I can see Penn State winning 28-27, but their defense would need to score about 14 of those for that to happen. USC's defense is crazy.

I think the BCS Bowl being forgotten about is Cincy vs VT. Everyone is mocking it, but for fans of underdog schools, it should be a fun game to watch. Cincy played 2 bad games all year (one at Norman, where OU is basically unstoppable) and won 11, and VT is pretty up and down. Should be an entertaining game.

I'm surprised to see so many people thinking it will be a blowout one way or the other. I've heard about 10 predictions now, and all of them involved one team blowing out the other. I think it will go either way and that's what intrigues me. Depends what VT team decides to show up.