TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 14

In perhaps the surprise move of the century the NFL not only decided not to fine Ryan Clark for his hit on Wes Welker but basically said it wasn't even a penalty.

“A lot of people think it’s a foul to leave your feet,” Pereira said. “Launching is not a foul. There is nothing in the rulebook that states that at all. It’s a misconception people have.

“It is a foul to hit with your helmet against a defenseless receiver. It is a foul to throw a forearm into the neck or head area of your opponent. I don’t think either of those things happened. I’m not a fan of those high hits but if you do it with your shoulder you’re OK.”

So...the game in Toronto finally sold out today.

If it hadn't...we wouldn't have been able to watch it in Buffalo.

Someone can explain that to me later. We've sold out all the games in Buffalo...and it's not like the people in town wanted to watch the team make its slow move north. Fuck this stupid league. Toronto barely sells out a frigging 50,000 seater and they were planning on punishing the people 2 and a half hours away...in another country...who sell out their 70,000 seats every home game. Seriously...Fuck this league.

I honestly didn't think it applied in this case...but the newspaper today told me that it did. As for London, I can't imagine it could. Bills season ticket holders had options to buy a game ticket to Toronto as part of their package, and that can't be true for the overseas games. Funnily...no one I know bough the Toronto ticket...because Canada won't let you in after you get a DWI. It's frigging Buffalo...we've all got DWIs here...

My brother-in-law is a huge Bills fan, and he wasn't going because of the price. His dad finally caved and bought the tickets, but it was obscene how much they were charging even for the worst seats.

Guest Vitamin X

How much were they going for? NFL tickets are pretty expensive in general. I've seen people pay at least close to $100 for bleacher seating.

According to Ticketmaster they range from $105 to $350 per ticket. At Ralph Wilson Stadium, they range from $36.00 to $77.00. It isn't that much more expensive to get season tickets in Buffalo than they are for the one game in Toronto. People aren't going to pay 4x the price to see the Bills in Toronto when they can hop on the QEW and just go to Buffalo instead. I know many Bills fans that feel like that.

Guest Vitamin X

On the other hand I could see why the tickets are more expensive- the NFL probably looks at something like an affordability index and can determine that Torontans (??) are more likely and able to pay more for tickets than Buffalonians (?) are based on the costs of living in each one of those cities. I can imagine why it would be frustrating though, but it would be kind of the same reasoning for why seeing the shitty 49ers play in San Fran is probably still way more expensive than seeing the one-loss Titans in Nashville.

The tickets are so expensive because Rogers paid a ton of money in order to have the games in Toronto. And then laughed when people complained about how expensive it would be to go to the games. And now he's dead.

Guest Vitamin X
Doesn't help that the Niners are still one of the more popular franchises in NFL.

Okay, maybe Seattle is a better example then. Or Miami prior to this year. Good god. During the Dolphins' season of ineptitude (not the really bad one last year, but the one before in 2006) I had a chance to go see the Packers play them but couldn't afford it because even the cheapest seats were over $100 and I was moving cross country soon.

This is a good reason why that stadium gets very empty, very quickly (aside from Miami sports fans being generally awful about their teams) if the Dolphins aren't doing well.

Doesn't help that the Niners are still one of the more popular franchises in NFL.

Okay, maybe Seattle is a better example then. Or Miami prior to this year. Good god. During the Dolphins' season of ineptitude (not the really bad one last year, but the one before in 2006) I had a chance to go see the Packers play them but couldn't afford it because even the cheapest seats were over $100 and I was moving cross country soon.

This is a good reason why that stadium gets very empty, very quickly (aside from Miami sports fans being generally awful about their teams) if the Dolphins aren't doing well.

This is true. I don't like going to Ravens games when they come to Miami just because tickets are outrageous. Even though Miami had ZERO wins at the time last year when Baltimore came to town.

Guest Vitamin X

This plays into the problem with Miami sports fans- I once thought of going to see a couple Heat games with some friends but I balked at the price, particularly for a team I don't give a crap about. The Marlins have the problem with their location and the Panthers, shit I don't think they could pay people to go see them.

I didn't bother to watch the game, but I've heard the NFL Network crew and announcers shit all over Al Davis and the Raiders tonight. I hope Al was listening. I mean damn, I'm no football genius, but when the Raiders have been worst team in football this decade (the 00-02 glory days seem to be a distant memory now), you would think some of the other general managing partners would try and have Al push aside. Look at the state of the franchise for gods sake: terrible terrible team, one of the worst stadiums in the NFL, terrible draft picks and the highest payroll in the NFL with 3 wins to show. I feel bad for Lions fans and all, but I wish we were the ones going 0 fer the season. I think that would help bring the change we need in Oakland, because 3-5 wins have become acceptable. Sorry for the rant and all, but watching the Raiders "play" football is pretty depressing now a days.

Fat black dude on ESPN 2's First Take claims that Atlanta will win the NFC South because Michael Turner will be able to grind out tough yards in bad December weather. Atlanta's December schedule features two home games, one game at Minnesota, and one game at St. Louis.

Fat black dude on ESPN 2's First Take claims that Atlanta will win the NFC South because Michael Turner will be able to grind out tough yards in bad December weather. Atlanta's December schedule features two home games, one game at Minnesota, and one game at St. Louis.

lol, that's great. It's not like Atlanta normally even gets bad weather to begin with. Great point from that show, as always.

At least the Chargers can claim they are the only divisional opponent that Oakland has failed to defeat this season.

The Chargers have won the last 11 games in the series, the longest current streak in the NFL.

At least the Chargers can claim they are the only divisional opponent that Oakland has failed to defeat this season.

The Chargers have won the last 11 games in the series, the longest current streak in the NFL.

New England still has a shot at tying that in the final week, if they beat Buffalo for the 11th time.

So New England has inked Rosevelt Colvin and Junior Seau this week. Gee, are they going to try to lure Andre Tippett out of retirement too or will the Medicare payments be too high?

New England still has a shot at tying that in the final week, if they beat Buffalo for the 11th time.

Pittsburgh vs Cleveland too

Just looking at some stats for no real reason and I noticed this:

Tony Romo: 8 sacks, 7 fumbles

It's pretty impressive how rarely he gets sacked, but considering that he has maybe 2 legitimate rushes all season I'm left wondering; does he fumble every time he gets hit this year?