TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geniusMoment

US Senator recommends steriod regulations

Is the schedule really all that brutal anymore? It's kind of an outdated cliche.

In a typical week there are 3 or 4 days off. There are never shows on Wednesday or Thursday, and with the new Smackdown taping schedule those guys now have every other Tuesday off, and of course the RAW guys always have Tuesday off. A full plate of weekend house shows for one brand is the exception now and not the norm. A brand might go Friday on, Saturday off, Sunday on, or Friday/Saturday on, Sunday off, you get the idea. Occasionally SD has a Monday house show, but when that happens it means they had one less over the weekend or I guess now it would be done in the off week of taping TV.

And the loops they work generally make geographic sense. The days of guys crisscrossing the country by air and 12 hour car rides are long gone. The travel is not unreasonable.

A quick look at WWE.com tells me RAW this month has 15 live dates, and that's including TV and the Rumble. Smackdown has 14.

It's not like guys are constantly on the road and working every night, there is a lot of downtime built into the schedules.

Really the easiest thing to do would be to give guys a week off between TV here and there rather than mandatory scheduled months off. A lot of guys wouldn't want that much time off. It would be a lot easier convincing someone to skip the weekend house shows than to sit at home for a month or two off of TV collecting their downside.

Roy has a very good point here. A week off for a wreslter would be good every 3 months or so, amounting to a month of every year and the average mark wouldn't notice a damn thing.

15 live dates over 31 days, but what do they do the rest of the time? When RAW goes off the air this Monday they have nothing scheduled until Saturday; do they make a flight home for 3-4 days and then fly in for the house shows & RAW, or are they heading straight there and staying in town to do radio promos & such? Either way, that's a ton of flying.

We all want to see wrestling make changes. But Congress getting involved is not a good thing.

Is it a bad thing?

The issue really is stupid on several levels. One, wrestling is nothing more than physical acting...it's not an actual sport. Look at how many tv/movie actors we have that are drugged up all the time, where is congress?! So the government treating it as an actual sport and not the "entertainers" they are, just like those in hollywood, is absurd, it really is. Second, of all the important issues and crisis this country faces, to have the government spend millions of tax payer dollars to investigate and then regulate wrestling is irritating as hell to me. I don't know if or how this would effect smaller promotions but if it's just mainly for the wwe and tna...it's even dumber. All that time and money to regulate around 100 quasi actors? Since when is this such a national emergency? It's yet another ridiculous farce in the joke that is the "war on drugs".

Lastly, Mcmahon is a fucking idiot in the way he handles himself and the way he mocks the very same people that could and probably will make the way he runs his company a lot harder. I seriously think mcmahon has mental issues...no person in his right mind would say the things he does and act like such a complete fucking douchebag in front of people who could have such a huge impact on your business and talent. Despite how stupid it is, I almost want it to happen just to maybe humble him in some way.

Q Are you aware of whether anybody with authority to speak for WWE has ever told a WWE talent or prospective talent that he or she needed to be more muscular?

A No.

WHAT!?!?!

SOMEONE PLEASE show them the part of Beyond the Mat where Jim Ross is telling the guy he needs to get bigger up top while Vince McMahon is standing in the same area of the room.

It's all about the superstar look. Edge is awesome and all, but the dude needs tips from Orton on how to not look have that small layer of pudginess on him in a Post-Benoit World. Ditto Helms and Batista. I mean this in the least gay way possible... but it's just not very aesthetic. This is why Savage wore a shirt for the rest of his career during the Steroid Crisis of 1991.

And he doesn't mention Triple H's Chris Masters comment.

The best part of that is the end when McMahon & McDevitt go nuts when they try to ask Vince if he's used steroids after 1996.

It's all about the superstar look. Edge is awesome and all, but the dude needs tips from Orton on how to not look have that small layer of pudginess on him in a Post-Benoit World. Ditto Helms and Batista. I mean this in the least gay way possible... but it's just not very aesthetic. This is why Savage wore a shirt for the rest of his career during the Steroid Crisis of 1991.

Edge can pull that off though. As in, he doesn't look out of shape, at all, despite that.

I'm reading through Vince's interview. Pretty good stuff. His hostility is great.

"Well Nobody is trying to penalize anyone"

"Then I would expect a gold star on my lapel when I leave this room"

and won't endear him to the Government.

Q. You didn't admit to using steriods?

Mr. McDevitt - He didn't even testify in his trial. He didn't have to testify in his trial. We whipped the government's ass in 19 days without putting a witness on. Get your facts right. He didn't testify in the trial.

I read Steph's, Dixie Carter's and Vince's interviews. It really seems like Vince was the only one coming across as uncooperative. I mean hell, I don't want him to lose everything per se', but a bit of a wake-up call probably wouldn't hurt.

Personally, I would think with an economy in the toilet and radical Islamists out to destroy us or convert us all to kneel before Allah, I figure the government has much more important stuff to deal with than whether Cena is roided up.

The only way this is going to work is if Congress would go out of their way to subpoena Vince, Dixie, and other top wrestling execs to appear on Capitol Hill. Much like we've seen baseball's steroid policy growing teeth since Selig and Fehr were raked over the coals.