TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

"Regulate" by Warren G and Nate Dogg

Guest Czecherbear
The whole point of this thread was for it not to end up in this folder where it will no doubt wither away and die.

Yeah, if I had kept this amidst "byron fite me u poser" and "i'm a mutant from green bay with a limp dick" then maybe we could have analyzed and discussed the 1993 Warren G/Nate Dogg hit single "Regulate" well into June 2011. Leap up my ass.

"Regulate" is a pretty popular song to be played during a party at my house once the alcohol has been flowing, and blunts have burning and people are looking to hear some music.

True, I think it's less about where the sample is from and more what it's saying. Unless you're trying to tell us that you don't think that black people are fans of Westerns? :lol:

Come on, everybody loved "Young Guns".

As for rap and westerns not mixing, obviously you forget the 1988 Kool Moe Dee song "Wild Wild West". Take a western thing, turn it into a song about gangs, keep in the noise of six shooters and presto!

I will boldly claim that Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None) is the peak of both Nate Dogg's and Warren G's respective recording careers. Regulate is good too, of course.

A strong counterargument, and one I can allllmost get behind. I think their respective verses on that song are better than anything they do on "Regulate," but there's something about this one being the showcase for them and them alone that makes me content to note it as the peak. This extra-smooth g-funk sound is also one of the most distinct to come off the early-mid-90s g-funk mixing boards, which suits the two of them even better than the slightly bouncier party-track feel of "Ain't No Fun."

Yeah, I also think that Regulate's more storytelling oriented lyrical approach lends it a bit of dramatic heft that makes it feel more definitive.

Really, though, I just think that Ain't No Fun was a career high for every single person involved.