TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Oscar Nominations Thread

Best animated feature film of the year

* “Bolt” (Walt Disney), Chris Williams and Byron Howard

* “Kung Fu Panda” (DreamWorks Animation, Distributed by Paramount), John Stevenson and Mark Osborne

* “WALL-E” (Walt Disney), Andrew Stanton

That's all they could come up with. What a farce.

What else should've been nominated? Fly Me to the Moon? 3 films always get nominated for this category.

Yeah, really. Though I'm surprised Waltz With Bashir wasn't nominated in that category instead of Best Foreign Film. Then again, last year I was surprised that Persepolis was nominated for Best Animated Feature instead of Best Foreign Film. Oh The Oscars have never really made all that much sense to me. Hence, why I don't understand the anger around these parts when nominations come out. Besides it's not like The Reader will win.

Worst example ever. Everything about the Matrix is borrowed or poached from other stories.

Huh? If you're talking about the storyline, absolutely, Phillip K. Dick used to whip up stuff like that in his sleep. But I was referring more to the style of action, with all the bullet-time special effects and watching superpowered folks doing gun-fu fights in super slow-motion. If there's an earlier movie which did that shit quite like Matrix did it, actually watching the lead fly through the air and combining a mobile camera shot with intricate CGFX work, I haven't seen it. And Wanted's action scenes did indeed lean on that style pretty hard.

My predictions:

Picture:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Dark Knight

Frost/Nixon

Milk

Slumdog Millionaire

4/5. Had TDK instead of the The Reader.

Actor:

Leonardo DiCaprio, Revolutionary Road

Frank Langella, Frost/Nixon

Sean Penn, Milk

Brad Pitt, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

4/5. Had Leo instead of Richard Jenkins.

Actress:

Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married

Sally Hawkins, Happy Go Lucky

Angelina Jolie, Changeling

Meryl Streep, Doubt

Kate Winslet, Revolutionary Road

3/5. Had Sally Hawkins and Kate Winslet instead of Melissa Leo and Kate Winslet.

Supporting Actor:

Josh Brolin, Milk

Robert Downey, Jr. Tropic Thunder

James Franco, Milk

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt

Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

4/5. Had James Franco instead of Michael Shannon.

Supporting Actress-

Amy Adams, Doubt

Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Viola Davis, Doubt

Kate Winslet, The Reader

Rosemarie DeWitt, Rachel Getting Married

3/5. Had Winslet and DeWitt instead of Tomei and Henson.

Best Director-

Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

David Fincher, Button

Ron Howard, Frost/Nixon

Christopher Nolan, TDK

Gus van Sant, Milk

4/5. Had Nolan instead of Daldry.

Robert Downey Jr.? Really? That playing an Australian playing a black guy was a cute gimmick, but Best Supporting Actor? Did I miss something?

Yes. It was easily the funniest performance of the year, and probably the most daring. If you don't get an actor playing this as good as Downey, Tropic Thunder's pretty much fucked from all the controversy.

The line about him staying in character until the DVD commentary is almost worthy of the nomination itself.

It was also a way of applauding Downey for his comeback, and for his performance in Iron Man.

No Springsteen for Best Song and fucking MIA gets one? Lick my nuts, Oscars.

That's bullshit. I can't stop listening to The Wrestler, and yet it gets snubbed? Really?

What's the deal with Weinstein and the Oscars? I know he's a big time producer, but what kind of influence does he have?

Weinstein is a master at playing the game. He always runs very aggressive campaigns and makes sure to get the word out there. Remember Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan?

He got into a pissing match with Scott Rudin over when to release The Reader, and Weinstein won, so he went all out to show that he was right.

Robert Downey Jr.? Really? That playing an Australian playing a black guy was a cute gimmick, but Best Supporting Actor? Did I miss something?

Yes. It was easily the funniest performance of the year, and probably the most daring. If you don't get an actor playing this as good as Downey, Tropic Thunder's pretty much fucked from all the controversy.

The line about him staying in character until the DVD commentary is almost worthy of the nomination itself.

It was also a way of applauding Downey for his comeback, and for his performance in Iron Man.

Fair enough. I don't think he was even the funniest guy in that movie, but I guess I'm off base. Come to think of it, I didn't like Iron Man either, so maybe I'm not an RDJ guy.

The Weinsteins (2 of 'em, Harvey and Bob, brothers) were the guys who made Miramax into the "independent" prestige-picture powerhouse studio, and a couple years back they left that company to start their own. They've helped start many people's careers, and as executive producers have provided the funding for everything from Pulp Fiction to Lord of the Rings. They're also infamous for being persistent lobbyists in going after the Academy to get their company's movies on the voting ballots, although ironically they only have one actual Oscar of their own, Harvey's for producing Shakespeare in Love.

No Springsteen for Best Song and fucking MIA gets one? Lick my nuts, Oscars.

You referring to the hip-hop singer chick? No, that's not her. The nominated girl is an Indian musician.

You referring to the hip-hop singer chick? No, that's not her. The nominated girl is an Indian musician.

Maya Arulpragasm= MIA.

Good luck, presenter of Best Original Song!

Yeah, that's the only snub that's really got my blood a boilin'. Two songs from Slumdog Millionaire? I really like the movie but none of the songs were particularly memorable let alone two.

Yeah, that's the only snub that's really got my blood a boilin'. Two songs from Slumdog Millionaire? I really like the movie but none of the songs were particularly memorable let alone two.

"Gah! How dare the Academy not acknowledge universally loved blue collar singer-songwriter guy! Indian music?! Pshaw!" - TSM Movies Forum (2009)

The only song I remember was the Paper Planes remix.

The Bruce Springsteen song is so good, it made me want to see The Wrestler just by its use in the trailer.

"Gah! How dare the Academy not acknowledge universally loved blue collar singer-songwriter guy! Indian music?! Pshaw!" - TSM Movies Forum (2009)

Shut up, Byron. Did you see The Wrestler?

I don't like Springsteen at all, but the song was perfect for the movie.

Maya Arulpragasm= MIA.

Oh. Nevermind. I thought she was black. Learn something new every day.

It's not unusual for the Best Song category to be a bit wacky; double-dipping is pretty common here. Like Enchanted picking up three different nominations in that category last year, while Sweeney Todd got zero. For me, the weird part is that they only nominated three songs total this year, instead of the usual five. (For the record, I did think Slumdog probably had the best soundtrack I've heard from 2008.)

Maya Arulpragasm= MIA.

Oh. Nevermind. I thought she was black. Learn something new every day.

It's not unusual for the Best Song category to be a bit wacky; double-dipping is pretty common here. Like Enchanted picking up three different nominations in that category last year, while Sweeney Todd got zero.

None of the songs in Sweeney Todd were written for the movie. That's How You Know, from Enchanted, is a great song.

Yeah it was a great song, but it's retarded that Sweeney's songs were inelligible. The Academy has so many bizarre little rules in its various subcategories, like the early deadline for the foreign language flicks that kept Let the Right One In from a seat at the table. Or the weird documentary strictures which say that you have to see all five of the nominations in special Academy-only screenings in order to vote for them, or whatever dumbass rule kept Hoop Dreams from being elligible a few years back.

Yeah it was a great song, but it's retarded that Sweeney's songs were inelligible. The Academy has so many bizarre little rules in its various subcategories, like the early deadline for the foreign language flicks that kept Let the Right One In from a seat at the table. Or the weird documentary strictures which say that you have to see all five of the nominations in special Academy-only screenings in order to vote for them, or whatever dumbass rule kept Hoop Dreams from being elligible a few years back.

The point is to nominate songs written specifically for the movie, otherwise, any musical could just own the Best Original Song category. It's not the Tonys.

Yeah if you start to nominate non-original songs from film adaptations of stage musical, where is the line drawn? Do we start nominating old Stones songs because they were used well in the latest Scorsese film?

No, wait, that's a dumb example...

The point is to nominate songs written specifically for the movie, otherwise, any musical could just own the Best Original Song category. It's not the Tonys.

But that's... just... dumb. How many Broadway musicals are made into movies now, anyway? I see the point of this rule if it's just to stop possible retarded decisions like nominating a movie cuz it had a great Beatles song in it or something like that. But for original musical numbers which were very specifically written to go with this script, I don't understand what terrible injustices they're trying to prevent by banning those from contention.

And hey, wasn't Chicago nominated for Best Song a few years back, anyway? ::checks IMDB:: Hey yeah, it was. And so was Phantom of the Opera. So how does that rule work, exactly?

But that's... just... dumb. How many Broadway musicals are made into movies now, anyway? I see the point of this rule if it's just to stop possible retarded decisions like nominating a movie cuz it had a great Beatles song in it or something like that. But for original musical numbers which were very specifically written to go with this script, I don't understand what terrible injustices they're trying to prevent by banning those from contention.

And hey, wasn't Chicago nominated for Best Song a few years back, anyway? ::checks IMDB:: Hey yeah, it was. And so was Phantom of the Opera. So how does that rule work, exactly?

Chicago's song was written specifically for the movie. Ditto Phantom.

The only song I remember was the Paper Planes remix.

The Bruce Springsteen song is so good, it made me want to see The Wrestler just by its use in the trailer.

Shut up, Byron. Did you see The Wrestler?

I don't like Springsteen at all, but the song was perfect for the movie.

Count me in with those two comments. I'm the furthest thing from a Springsteen fan but that song is genius coated in pure awesomeness.