TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Football (Soccer) for Americans

Football (Soccer) for Americans

There's been a few people on the board who have shown interesting in learning about Football (Soccer), and wish to learn more about it, the various leagues and teams, etc. This thread will hopefully help introduce everyone unfamiliar with Football to the sport. It'll contain various sections on the sport throughout the Thread, with each section linked back to the first post for easy reference and access.

Questions are welcome, and hopefully we can spread the joy of Football (Soccer) to everyone interested, and introduce an element of interest into those originally not.

Contents

- The Rules

- The Leagues

Rules

A Football game is governed by a set of rules as set by FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association), which are then observed and enforced on the field by a Referee and his Team. Unlike other sports there are no video referees in the modern game of Football, however, recently Women Referees have been allowed to referee at Professional level in the English Football League.

Standard games last 90 minutes split into two halves of 45mins each, plus any extra time added for stoppages (injuries for example) the Referee has added on. Any extra time will be indicated towards the end of each half by the Fourth Official. Some games, such as Cup or Tournament games can go longer if teams are still drawn by the end of regulation time. If scores are still equal at the end of the extra time then the game goes into penalties.

Referee

Collina_med.jpg

Covers the whole of the pitch and is the 'Head' Referee of the match. Will consult with his Assistant Referees if they had a better view of incidents before making a decision. The referee's decision during the match is final, they can over rule decision made by the Assistant Referee in regards to offsides or throw ins. The Referee is also the time keeper, logging any extra time needed to be displayed by the Fourth Official.

Assistant Referee

298086217-soccer-fa-cup-semi-final-west-bromwich-albion-v-portsmouth.jpg

There are usually 2 Assistant Referees in a game, and they will govern the side lines of the field. One Assistant Referee will stick to one side line on one half of the pitch, and the other Assistant Referee will run the other side line in the other half to cover the best range of the field without being stretched. They generally flag for Offsides and Throw Ins. Though they can also give their take on a situation if the Referee asks for it, usually regarding tackles on the side line, off the ball incidents or penalty kicks.

_41763852_assistantsignals2_416x300.gif

Fourth Official

4002264323-soccer-barclays-premier-league-birmingham-city-v-blackburn-rovers-st.jpg

Responsible for making sure the substitutions are legal and recorded, and that they don't enter the field of play with any illegal objects (rings, earrings, necklaces, etc) uncovered. The Fourth Official is also the replacement Referee should the match day ref become injured or ill.

Offside

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football)

Bookings and fouls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foul_(football)

If a player commits a bad foul, then they'll receive a yellow card - 2 yellow cards and the player is sent off. If the player commits a dangerous or professional foul (last player/line of defense before the goal) then they'll receive a red card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misconduct_(football)

Red Card

Professional Foul - no intention to win the ball. Clearly stopping the player from a goal scoring opportunity.

Violent Conduct - Fighting, kicking, spitting to fellow players, referees or fans.

Dangerous Tackles - 2 Footed off the ground challenges, or worse.

Yellow Card

Goals

A team can score a goal by putting the ball into the oppositions goal. As long as the whole of the ball completely crosses the goal line, it will be classed as a goal. If any portion of the ball is still on the goal line, then its still classed as in play.

The Field of Play

:reserved for Leagues around the World:

As mentioned earlier FIFA governs Professional Football across the world and over seas the rules of the game, as well as its over all development. However, each region has its own governing confederation which directly oversees internal rules and development of the game, but still has to report and adhere to guidelines set by FIFA.

AFC - Asian Football Confederation in Asia and Australia

CAF - Confédération Africaine de Football in Africa

CONCACAF - Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football in North America and Central America

CONMEBOL - Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol in South America

OFC - Oceania Football Confederation in Oceania

UEFA - Union of European Football Associations in Europe

Each of the Countries within the various Confederation also have their own Orgainsation that directly looks after their Country's development. For example in England:

The FA (Football Association) over sees the Development of English Football from Grassroots to the International Level, it makes sure rules are being followed and appoints the Head Coach for the national Team. The FA answer to UEFA who answer to FIFA.

I terms of prestige here are a list of leagues to watch:

English Premier League

The top tier in British Football, and some would say the best in the World. Home of Manchester United and Liverpool, two of the most successful teams in European Football. Over the years it has been graced by Legends such as Dennis Bergkamp, Alan Shearer, Thierry Henry, Eric Cantona and David Ginola.

Best Teams:

Manchester United - Official Website - History Part 1 - History Part 2 - History Part 3 - Legends - Legends 2

One of the most Successful teams in the English Premier League (EPL), along side Liverpool, and have been near dominant over the last 10 years. If they win the title this Season they will equal Liverpool's overall record for most top tier League Titles won. Manchester United, also known as Man U or the Red Devils, play in a Red strip with White Shorts and play their home games at Old Trafford (one of the biggest stadiums in England).

Their main Rivals are:

Manchester City - Local Derby

Liverpool - Intense feud due to the two Big Cities being close, and the rivalry built up over the years to be the best team in England and Europe.

Arsenal - Not so much in recent years, but in early 2000 there was a strong war of words between Arsené Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson as the two teams battled for the League Title.

Current Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson - One of the longest standing Managers and Man U's only Manager in the EPL.

Star Players:

Ronaldo

Wayne Rooney

Ryan Giggs

Chelsea - Official Website - History. - Legends

To be fair Chelsea have only really emerged into Football over the last 10 years, with many citing that Roman Abramovich has bought success with his money rather then built it up over time. As such a lot of the Premier League frown upon Chelsea's sudden success and new found fan base. However, it can't be denied that they're part of the 4 big teams that battle for the title every season.

They play in a deep blue shirt with blue shorts, and they play their home games at Stamford Bridge.

Their main Rivals are:

Totteham Hotspurs - North London Derby

Arsenal - North London Derby

Manchester United - Battle for the Title

Liverpool - Battle for the title and European Titles

Current Manager: Luiz Felipe Scolari (Past managers include: Gianluca Vialli, José Mourinho)

Star Players:

John Terry

Frank Lampard

Deco

Liverpool

Arsenal

Other Teams:

Aston Villa (Owned by Brown's Owner Randy Lerner) - The team most likely to break into the 'Top 4' (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U) personal battle for the EPL Title.

Manchester City - Recently taken over by mega rich Arab Oil Tycoons and are currently in the process of forming a Real Madrid style super team consisting of the best players in the world. Bought Robinho for £32.5m ($47m) from under the noses of Chelsea on the last day of the Summer Transfer Window.

List of all other teams in the EPL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_2008-09

Italian Serie A

Best Teams

Best Players

Spanish La Liga

Best Teams:

Best Players:

German Bundes Liga

Best Teams:

Best Players:

:Reserved for FAQ and Reference Websites:

League and Bodie Websites

World

FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) - Governing Body for Football.

Europe

UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) - European Governing Body for Football

http://www.thefa.com/default.aspx - Website for the English Football Association. Over sees Football Development in England.

Premier League - Top division in England

North America

CONCACAF (Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football)

Major League Soccer - Top League in US

Stats

http://stats.football365.com/

http://www.soccerstats.com/

http://stats.football.co.uk/

News/Gossip

English Football (Soccer) Thread - You know that, dirty thread that floats about TSM's Sports Folder like a turd in a rich man's Swimming Pool

TeamTalk - Mainly covers English Football, but also has world football news too

Fantastic. I got Fifa '08 a few weeks ago. I enjoy the game but I am absolutely clueless about the leagues, teams and players.

Philadelphia is gaining an MLS franchise in 2010. I anticipate becoming a fan.

To be honest, FIFA is probably one of the better ways to learn about the game and the players. Since you physically have to play the game and like any game adapt to the rules they set you. Of course, its going to be a season or so behind in terms of Rosters, so that might be a problem. Was there a certain aspect of the game (the actual game not the computer game) you were unsure about? Or was it generally the whole relegation/promotion side of it?

To be honest, FIFA is probably one of the better ways to learn about the game and the players. Since you physically have to play the game and like any game adapt to the rules they set you. Of course, its going to be a season or so behind in terms of Rosters, so that might be a problem. Was there a certain aspect of the game (the actual game not the computer game) you were unsure about? Or was it generally the whole relegation/promotion side of it?

Just basically who the star players are, the teams to pay attention to, which competitions are more important than others. The basic rules I've got a firm handle on. Strategies less so, but that doesn't hamper my enjoyment.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's all your original information, up there? Terrific. Hard boarding.

I hated soccer for the longest time, but I've since mellowed on many things, and should give this a fair shot. I tried watching a bit during the olympics.

I think my greatest success will be to do what you did with the Browns, and just pick a team and pay attention to only them. I discussed this a little with PLAGIARISM! elsewhere online, and decided that my favorite team is Arsenal.

I think my greatest success will be to do what you did with the Browns, and just pick a team and pay attention to only them. I discussed this a little with PLAGIARISM! elsewhere online, and decided that my favorite team is Arsenal.

I've wanted to do this for ages, but I'm clueless as to which team I'd want to support. I don't even know if it would be a Premier League team or one from elsewhere in the FA. All I know is it's not Man U.

I've wanted to do this for ages, but I'm clueless as to which team I'd want to support. I don't even know if it would be a Premier League team or one from elsewhere in the FA. All I know is it's not Man U.

On the right tracks already! English fans are very hard on anyone supporting a club that isn't their home team. Obviously for guys in different Countries that love our game, its impossible for them to pick a 'local' team. So its even more frowned upon when they picked one of the big teams (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool), though to be fair Arsenal this season have been pretty poor so can't hold that against you!

Generally though as long as you stick to your team and don't change people won't really care. A Football team is for life. For your reference AoO your rivals are:

Tottenham Hotspurs

Chelsea

Lesser so:

West Ham

Crystal Palace

Basically any team in London, but more so Chelsea and Tottenham since they're closer.

I'm trying to make a list of Networks in the US that show Soccer, so any help on that would be great so I can compile them together. I know ESPN have a good selection.

Wayne Rooney says fuck you to whomever didn't let me hotlink this picture.

Good job on the thread Chris, and yeah you're right, it's better late than never!

I'm trying to make a list of Networks in the US that show Soccer, so any help on that would be great so I can compile them together. I know ESPN have a good selection.

ESPN2 shows the Champions League, Setanta shows the lunchtime Premier League game and a few others (Carling Cup and FA Cup included in that) in addition to Scottish League play and sometimes the French League, Fox Soccer Channel shows the Premier League (FA Cup too) and Serie A in addition to the Argentine League and MLS, while GolTV shows the Bundesliga, La Liga, and some South American stuff.

ESPN2 shows the Champions League, Setanta shows the lunchtime Premier League game and a few others in addition to Scottish League play, Fox Soccer Channel shows the Premier League and Serie A in addition to the Argentine League and MLS, while GolTV shows the Bundesliga, La Liga, and some South American stuff.

Cheers 909. I had no idea the US got Setanta too.

We do, but I don't have it. It's only on Dish Network, DirecTV, and Verizon FioS as far as I know. It's also 15 dollars a month. I have a different cable company.

I hated soccer for the longest time, but I've since mellowed on many things, and should give this a fair shot.

I'll tell you something i've always thought about Americans, they were never going to accept soccer for what it is, I think purely because of the state and skill of your own league/teams. All of the Americans I talk to on MSN and such tell me they can never get into soccer because their local team/whatever are really bad and boring to watch. My biggest piece of advice to someone who wanted to get into soccer would be to start watching the English Premier League and the Champions League before they even think about watching their own product.

Basically any team in London, but more so Chelsea and Tottenham since they're closer.

And if you're to follow Arsenal, you are not, under any circumstances, to like Ashley Cole, who moved to Chelsea for basically more money, and was quite open about it.

I'd actually recommend watching the Championship, which is England's second tier, 24 teams all fighting it out to get out of the league and into the Prize Pool of the Premier League.

Chris, what's the sign mean when the assistant holds the flag across his chest? I see it quite often.

If they turn the flag and hold it across their chest with one hand, they are indicating that a foul was committed within the penalty area warranting a penalty kick.

Not sure if that's what you meant, but I can picture it my mind.

What's up with the randomness of the schedule? The Premier league taking extended breaks for the Champion's League which then goes on extended breaks too? Why don't they do it at separate times?

Also, why don't they have a playoff, or tourney? Why is it just the team with the most points? Knockout stages are proven to be fun in all sports, even in soccer for the FA Cup and the big international competitions, why not do it for the Premier League?

1a. The Champions League isn't a huge (as in depth) competition really, it's mostly knockout (apart from the first group stage) so to make it last over the whole season (it needs to end after the rest of football in Europe's regular season has ended) it needs to be spread out. In England, the league finishes, then eight days later is the FA Cup final, and then six days later the Champions League final, at least in theory that's how it usually happens.

1b. In English football, there are playoffs in the three football leagues below the Premier League.

The lack of play-off's isn't England's decision, the whole of europe adhere to the same set-up for their top leagues to determine who gets into the relevant European competitions.

Also, which is generally considered to be the more legitimate win, a Champions League or English Premiership? I feel like Champion's would be because of the fact that you're taking teams from all over Europe, but at the same time I feel like with the Premiership league it could be tougher because the competition amongst the top four big teams (Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man U) gets pretty intense.

Football does not lend well to a playoff system at club level. Playoffs and knockout rounds encourage ultra-defensive tactics. It's different in international play where the players don't spend as much time with each other. Bunkering down tactical schemes are much harder to perfect over the minimal preparation time prior to a tournament. There is something to be said for being on top of the league after 38 matches, especially in a game in which you only have three substitutes and can lose players due to bad temperament.

The Champions League goes on a winter break because most every first division in Europe except for the Premier League goes on a winter break. Some for longer than others.

And the Champions League is the ultimate prize. More money, more notoriety. More glory.

Football does not lend well to a playoff system at club level. Playoffs and knockout rounds encourage ultra-defensive tactics. It's different in international play where the players don't spend as much time with each other. Bunkering down tactical schemes are much harder to perfect over the minimal preparation time prior to a tournament. There is something to be said for being on top of the league after 38 matches, especially in a game in which you only have three substitutes and can lose players due to bad temperament.

The Champions League goes on a winter break because most every first division in Europe except for the Premier League goes on a winter break. Some for longer than others.

I was going to say this, but i'm not sure how many countries actually do have a winter break. I figured we'd be the idiots bucking the trend.

As 909 alluded to, the Quarters (Man United's 7-1 win over Roma not included) and the Semi's generally seem to be poor games, but you do get the odd exciting ones. I remember a few years ago, Liverpool beat Chelsea 1-0 on aggregate over two legs.

Also, which is generally considered to be the more legitimate win, a Champions League or English Premiership?

Now that one really depends on who you ask. Liverpool, a team who in the 80's ruled Europe and England, who won the Premier League something like 18 times in their history, but haven't won the League now since 1990, crave the Premier League again, it's the one trophy that they want more than anything, just so they can be the top team in the country again. It doesn't help that one of their biggest rivals, Manchester United, pretty much made the 90's their own.

Teams like Chelsea, though, will go all out just for the Champions League.

I think in most of the teams cases, the league is the main priority, but the Champions League is hardly something to sniff at.

I'd rank the importance like this:

English League Championship

UEFA Champions League

FA Cup

English League Cup (This is another cup competition, mostly ignored by the big teams who send their reserves/youth players out, unless they're really interested in winning the damn thing. Or they get to the very late stages, like Man United, who my team Derby beat in the Semi first leg, United will field a full strength side in the return leg to overturn the aggregate score and reach the final.)

English Charity/Community Shield (This is the curtain-raiser to every season, played between the previous years Premier League winners and the previous seasons FA Cup winners.)

I was going to say this, but i'm not sure how many countries actually do have a winter break. I figured we'd be the idiots bucking the trend

Germany's is long. Month and a half. Spain takes a Christmas and New Year's two week break, while France and Italy extend that by a week.

I've let it be known that being American, I chose Man U because they were one of the few teams I could catch on TV at any given time.

I read up a bit on 'em and just found them to be a team I could follow and root for. They've got a long-standing history and being known as the Reds or Red Devils isn't too bad either.

As far as local...I support the Houston Dynamo and have done so since they moved from San Jose.

Chris (or any other Brit) .. the Charity Shield, if someone wins both the FA and Premiership title, who do they wind up playing? I wanna say its whomever finished second in the Premiership, but I'm not too sure.