TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BifEverchad

Mid-Season NHL Awards 08-09

I was going to start this the other day, but never got around to it/forgot.

So to all the hockey fans out there, jump out of the NHL thread and cast your votes!

Who do you think is most deserving of the NHL awards for the first half of the 2008-2009 season?

I'll list just the major awards and you give 3 nominees for each, while also choosing your own winner.

Here's mine:

JACK ADAMS AWARD

-Todd McLellan (SJ)

-Claude Julien (BOS)

-Joel Quenneville (CHI)

winner: Claude Julien (BOS)

NORRIS TROPHY

-Dan Boyle (SJ)

-Nicklas Lidstrom (DET)

-Shea Weber (NSH)

winner: Dan Boyle (SJ)

CALDER TROPHY

-Steve Mason (CLB)

-Kris Versteeg (CHI)

-Blake Wheeler (BOS)

winner: Steve Mason (CLB)

VEZINA TROPHY

-Tim Thomas (BOS)

-Miikka Kiprusoff (CAL)

-Steve Mason (CLB)

winner: Steve Mason (CLB)

HART TROPHY

-Alexander Ovechkin (WSH)

-Ryan Getzlaf (ANA)

-Jeff Carter (PHI)

winner: Alexander Ovechkin (WSH)

Dan Boyle?

DAN BOYLE?!

For all those points he's put up on a great San Jose team, he's a +9. He's never been great defensively, something that can be masked by playing for a very good team. Meanwhile, a guy you ignored plays for the other best team in the league. He can actually be counted on for big minutes later in the game, penalty killing, toughness AS WELL AS his offensive skills. Zdeno Chara is second among defensemen in +/-. He's got 25 points and, unlike Boyle, has more dimensions than just skating and running the point on the powerplay. If Dan Boyle won the Norris trophy, a zombie James Norris would run amock and destroy San Jose.

MVP:

Ovenchicken, Marleau, Lidstrom.

Vezina:

Thomas, Mason, Backstrom

Norris:

Chara, Lidstrom, Markov

Calder:

Wheeler, Versteeg, Mason

Adams:

Julien, McLellan, Sutter

Funny thing is, I was on two minds about my Norris nominees..

It was between Chara and Boyle and I went with Danny Boyle, although Dennis Wideman is having a great year as well!

Boyle leads all D in scoring, has more shots and powerplay points than both Chara and Wideman.

So what if he's a +9 on a great SJ team. You voted Markov, who is only a +10 on a great Montreal team and has less points, shots, etc with a game in hand.

And I'm a Habs fan, go figure.

Oh, and how can you question my picks when you have Lidstrom and Marleau nominated for the Hart?

Both great players, no doubt. But they aren't even their team MVPs, let alone the NHL MVP..

Funny thing is, I was on two minds about my Norris nominees..

It was between Chara and Boyle and I went with Danny Boyle, although Dennis Wideman is having a great year as well!

The difference is that Chara is a better defenseman than both Wideman and Boyle.

Boyle leads all D in scoring, has more shots and powerplay points than both Chara and Wideman.

So? The Norris isn't the Defenseman Who Acts Most Like a Forward Award. Call me crazy, but for a defenseman to win the Norris, he should at least be able to find his defensive zone without a map. Something Boyle has always struggled with.

So what if he's a +9 on a great SJ team. You voted Markov, who is only a +10 on a great Montreal team and has less points, shots, etc with a game in hand.

And I'm a Habs fan, go figure.

Markov is at least 10 times better defensively than Dan Boyle.

Oh, and how can you question my picks when you have Lidstrom and Marleau nominated for the Hart?

Both great players, no doubt. But they aren't even their team MVPs, let alone the NHL MVP..

Who's the Sharks MVP? Thornton? Why because he has more points? Lidstrom is the best defenseman in the NHL. Hard to argue against him.

Who's the Sharks MVP? Thornton? Why because he has more points? Lidstrom is the best defenseman in the NHL. Hard to argue against him.

Yes, Thornton is the Sharks MVP. He's not? Look at the Sharks before he arrived and look at them after he arrived. I believe Marleau was there the whole time, so go figure. Lidstrom is infact the best Defensemen in the NHL. I don't disagree with that statement one bit. But that's why there's a Norris Trophy.

I have no problem with Thornton getting the nod as the Sharks MVP, but your argument is about three years too late. The shelf life of "look how good they were before he got there, compared to after" has expired; it's the same case I made here for him winning the Hart in 05-06. That said, Patrick Marleau's renaissance, along with the rise to prominence of (on pace for) 20-goal scorers Devon Setoguchi, Joe Pavelski, Milan Michalek, and Ryan Clowe - that's enough for me to name Thornton the Sharks MVP.

Hart Trophy:

Ovechkin, Parise, Getzlaf/Luongo (Put Luongo in if Vancouver makes the playoffs, thanks to Sundin's sudden penchant for late-game idiocy).

Norris Trophy:

Lidstrom, Chara, Markov

Vezina:

Kiprusoff, Thomas, Mason/Luongo (See above).

Calder:

Mason, Wheeler, Versteeg

Jack Adams:

Julien, Sutter, McLellan

I have no problem with Thornton getting the nod as the Sharks MVP, but your argument is about three years too late. The shelf life of "look how good they were before he got there, compared to after" has expired; it's the same case I made here for him winning the Hart in 05-06. That said, Patrick Marleau's renaissance, along with the rise to prominence of (on pace for) 20-goal scorers Devon Setoguchi, Joe Pavelski, Milan Michalek, and Ryan Clowe - that's enough for me to name Thornton the Sharks MVP.

Well, the argument still holds up.

Also I don't get what you're trying to say. Marleau has had a "comeback" year and the young guys are turning it up, so Thornton is the MVP?

Put Luongo in if Vancouver makes the playoffs, thanks to Sundin's sudden penchant for late-game idiocy.

You know this is the MID-SEASON awards, right?

Hart Trophy

Evgeni Malkin, Jeff Carter, Steve Mason

Vezina Trophy

Steve Mason, Tim Thomas, Nicklas Backstrom

Norris Trophy

Andrei Markov, Dennis Widemann, Duncan Keith

Calder Trophy

Steve Mason, Kris Versteeg, Blake Wheeler