TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
YourKock'sReallyGreat

From Cluless to Champion to Classless

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3859198

What a bitter old man he has become. How can anybody be so bitter after making tens of millions, playoffs every year and 4 Championships? What he has done is completely classless and clueless. He doesn't need the money to air dirty laundry out in public.

Guest Smues

Sounds like it'll be an interesting read. I'm kind of surprised it's coming out now though. It seems like the kind of book he'd release when he was retired, but I guess it's not like he was ever going to go back to New York anyway.

As Al pointed out, it seems to be a book by Tom Verducci about the New York Yankees with Joe Torre as possibly a subplot to it all. Much like Moneyball featured Billy Beane as a subplot but wasn't really about him.

The book is not a first-person tell-all, but rather, a third-person narrative by Verducci, who interviewed dozens of players and team personnel while researching for the book, the source said.

Even if he's associated with it, I really don't see the problem here. I don't see anything written thus far that's out of line. And managers have been associated with books all the time. Some are brutally honest, and quite a few of them are excellent reads.

I hate the recent media's obsession with criticizing sports figures who speak out. Creating a corporate atmosphere where everyone toes the party line makes for truly boring sports.

Don't forget the Yankees fired him, and after years of threating to fire a guy that brought them to the post season 12 years in a row. I doubt love is in the air between him and Yankee management.

The Yankees are on television a lot, though. They have to be protected from things like reality seeping out into the open.

Don't forget the Yankees fired him, and after years of threating to fire a guy that brought them to the post season 12 years in a row. I doubt love is in the air between him and Yankee management.

The Yankees fired him? I didn't get that memo. Last time I checked his contract ran out and the Yankees offered him a new one (which he refused).

I don't want to say this in such a way as to make you feel dumb (word is, I tend to do that), but there are many ways in the business world to get rid of somebody without actually 'firing' them.

I don't want to say this in such a way as to make you feel dumb (word is, I tend to do that), but there are many ways in the business world to get rid of somebody without actually 'firing' them.

I know full well that the Yankees offered Joe a contrac that they full well he would turn down. That contract was still one of the highest contracts if not highest in baseball for Managers plus bonuses. He wasn't "fired".

He was offered $5 million to manage a baseball team. I'd like to be fired like that.

Semantics or not, I'll never consider a $5 million contract to be a manager to be demeaning

It is when you start tying it to playoff round advancement. That's just a ridiculous idea on so many levels.

Maybe, just maybe, Joe Torre doesn't consider himself to be a prostitute and thought he'd take a principled stand (I know, right?!) rather than pocket the money in exchange for a terrible deal.

If that stuff is what Torre said I don't see anything especially inflammatory about it. Let's see, in this "3rd person" piece A-Rod is a phony, Brian Cashman screwed him over in contract talks, and Torre feels that the Yankees lost their way after 2001?

If Torre does feel this way....so what? He's in L.A. now and obviously has no plans to go back to NY.

Apparently Torre also reveals that no one liked Carl Pavano.

I know, I'm shocked too

That's a real suprise. It was mentioned in the book that Joe had Carl brought back up to NY one year after rehab so the rest of the teammates could give him a hard time.

This is classic

From Bronx Banter:

Quote:

Verducci writes that Clemens’ usual pregame preparation included taking a whirlpool bath at the hottest temperature possible. “He’d come out looking like a lobster,” Yankee trainer Steve Donahue told Verducci. Donahue would then rub hot liniment all over Clemens’ body. “Then Donahue would rub the hottest possible liniment on his testicles,” Verducci writes.

“He’d start snorting like a bull,” the trainer said. “That’s when he was ready to pitch.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was listening to Mike Francessa today and apparently Torre soured on Cashman because he thought Brian was turning into a "stat geek".

Times like this I was FJM was still in business