TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw - February 16, 2009

What the hell kind of emotion is HHH trying show?

None. He was practicing motorboating Steph later.

Putting Steph and Hunter back together could really help bring back the female audience if only temporarily.

for 7 years this has been their dream (going by a alot of stuff I see online and at the occasional show)

Agreed, Piper's promo was a highlight of the show and has me intrigued as to where this is definitively going with Jericho. Ditto HBK/JBL to get to the Taker next week, though they almost have to go with Shawn here. They can't tease Michaels/UT for WM and then not deliver.

As far as HHH vs. Orton goes....why would this be so awesome? It's not like we haven't seen these guys feud ad nauseum over the years and I would be hard pressed to think of one above average match they've had. As absurd of a WM main event as Edge/Orton would be, they at least had one excellent Raw match in 2007.

That's the comical aspect of this entire storyline on Raw. Orton can put together a wimpy heel faction, win the Rumble, attack Vince, Steph, Shane, etc. But at the end of the day when it comes down to it, he's just going to lose to HHH.

Nice of Piper to put me over.

Excellent promos & angles...matches were bland tonight. I didn't really give a shit about any of them but the last one (am I the only one getting sick of Beth getting fluke pinned all the time? Either she's dominant or she's not, pick a side!) and that technically wasn't sanctioned.

WWE needs a heel announcer. So many things can be easily explained (and enhanced!) if you don't have two incompetent faces trying to sell fans the exact same story simultaneously.

What I wouldn't give for somebody like Ventura to pull out a "What do you expect, Lawler, it's unsanctioned! He knew what he was getting himself into! What, you want to sanction the unsanctioned match? You know better than a McMahon, Lawler, huh?" after Legacy's appearance, or a "She was badmouthing him! I read her lips!" after the RKO.

The return of INTENSITY~!

At first I thought HHH was livid, but livid is qualified by pacing around the ring, shaking the ropes, and frothing. Simply frothing at the mouth does still qualify him as INTENSE~!

That was a strong ending, although a horribly weird way to get there. I didn't get the idea of needing to put Shane over anymore than what offense he was given last night. It was extremely hard to even grasp from a suspending disbelief deal as well considering he was in and out of consciousness last night. But they did get the punt angle in, which seemed to be inevitable. And then the RKO to Steph took it another notch, so I can at least understand why they waited to do the angle, so both Shane and Steph would be taken out at the same time, seemed more effective that way. It just seemed retarded to have Shane kicking the shit out of Orton like he was, though. HHH's run-in was effective and the fans popped for the final tip of the hat to them regarding the whole off screen HHH in the family thing. Still not sold on Orton/HHH for Mania, but the angle there was good at the end. I just can't see them doing 6 weeks of build to this properly since it seemed to have peaked here.

Cena/Edge.....here is another match that is just kind of solid enough sounding on paper (much like Orton/HHH) but I just really think Mania 25 should have more than these rehashed programs, albeit significant ones in the past. But in either case, nobody has really been screaming that we have to see one last match with Cena/Edge or Orton/HHH, much less for the belts. The opening segment with these two didn't particularly draw me into another potential match between them as much as they did with HHH/Orton at the end of the show. Both Cena and Edge could be and should be doing so much more at Mania, although don't ask me what really. Just seems dumb that we get to a point of Mania and they fall back on Cena/Edge again, just is kind of "eh" without the really compelling reasoning or storyline attached.

As strange as this may sound, they may want to consider doing a fatal four way of Cena/HHH/Orton/Edge with both titles on the line to make this a bit more intriging for Mania. Winner becomes unified champ. I see potential in having Steph back HHH against Vicki and Edge in some storyline at some point from the beginning of the show here too, with Vicki admitting she took over "power" of the WHC match with all the Raw guys on it, since Steph left the arena. I could see a stupid dominant female angle between the two, especially since they are both the GMs of each brand.

The Piper promo on Jericho was excellent, and another highlight of the night. I still think this is just leading to Rourke against Jericho, but we'll see. It could very well lead to Austin coming back and working with Jericho at Mania (w/ Flair, Piper, and Rourke in his corner) since Orton particularly is booked otherwise. Austin is scheduled for next week, IIRC, although they aren't announcing it ahead of time (I think it was in this week's Observer). So this makes sense.

The rest of the show kind of dragged on in spots, but Rey looked good in there with Knox. I'm betting he will be one of the guys in MITB, probably throw Punk, Kennedy, Benjamin, Even Bourne, MVP, etc, and that will work.

Were can you watch the episode for those that missed it ?

It's on the Universal channel on the weekends, but you need HD.

Otherwise, there are torrents of the show around the net in no time, probably tomorrow or late tonight.

So according to King - Non sanctioned match - NO REF - and Legacy is banned from ringside. How exactly is that enforced with no ref?

It's a fight, not a match. If you listened to Shane he was challenging Orton to a fight, between Randy and himself. Not a match.

I for one, am disappointed that JBL didn't come out to announce his retirement so he could fulfill his dream of turning "The Bro" from "Seinfeld" into a reality.

MANZIER!

I didn't even realize HHH had shown up. I had to leave for work and Orton was just standing around doing nothing after punting Shane, no music was playing for the HHH save, so I shut the TV off and was on my way. Oh well.

The Piper segment was fantastic.

Another quick observation: I don't intend on this to come off as "Anti Blinged Out WWE Title", though deep down that might be what it is, but it just looked "right" for Edge to hold high the World Heavyweight title high instead of the WWE belt.

I think your racism is fairly well-established at this point, Venkman. I appreciate the gesture, but it really isn't us that you need to be apologizing to.

Anyway, I'm 100% on board with Orton needing to look a little less remorseful after taking Shane and Stephanie out. That was his intention, right? But other than that and Triple H's overinflated frothing dog act, the segment came off pretty well. The only thing that's a little disappointing to me is that they've apparently blown off the HBK-JBL deal (like there's any doubt who's winning that match next week). I like the idea of building WM programs for months in advance, so that the blowoff means that much more for the biggest show of the year. As it stands, none of these programs will have started prior to No Way Out, which to me makes WrestleMania feel like just another show.

Edit: I actually marked the fuck out when Orton RKOed Stephanie. I actually marked the fuck out when Edge pinned Cena last night. This whole "not watching wrestling for years, but then sort of diving right back in" thing is casuing me to behave strangely. But, hey, listen: Who the hell are the tag champs on Raw right now? I honestly have no idea.

The Miz and John Morrison. Because ECW guys can appear on whatever show they want, there were some weeks they appeared on every show. They won the Raw tag belts at a house show and have been on Raw much less since.

I suspected that it might be them, due to the fact that they're one of three tag teams that ever appear on Raw at this point. Is there a petition that I can sign to change Dibiase and Rhodes's music? Because those guys are okay, but that shit is terrible.

Also, who will be the first to introduce a gif of HHH's facial expression tonight? I think that might come in handy at the bottom of the board.

You know what would be awesome?

Sometime during this program, Orton punts someone (either Steph or HHH have yet to take one) and starts looking all remorseful and crap, but his expression slowly twists into a grin and he starts laughing. That would be so perfect. I'm not really a fan of Orton acting all 'what have I done' but if they put that in the feud it would more than make over for it, and put Orton over as Satan.

Orton's remorse has been explained already. He shows remorse because he's not in control of his actions, he basically has anger outs where he does things he didn't want to do and then afterwards he can't believe he did them. Eventually yeah they will break it and maybe the best way to do it is have Orton WIN over HHH and take out the whole clan. The only McMahon he hasn't dropped now is Linda and Shane's wife..well and the babies but I think him RKO'ing a baby might be a little too Snitsky for him. Hopefully the Linda one is avoided because her acting is a black hole. It's just really hard to think the McMahon's thought Orton taking all of them out would make him a heel. Maybe that is why they do the remorse? Because otherwise, you are going to really want to cheer for the guy wiping out the McMahon clan.

For me the best moments had to be Shane forgetting to sell the kick to the head for a few seconds and HHH doing his gall stone passing shake and shiver to show how mad he was.

BS, Dennis Stamp should induct the Funks.

He'll be the diva to go arm-in-arm w/ Terry on his way to the podium.

But he's not booked!

So according to King - Non sanctioned match - NO REF - and Legacy is banned from ringside. How exactly is that enforced with no ref?

It's a fight, not a match. If you listened to Shane he was challenging Orton to a fight, between Randy and himself. Not a match.

I think he knew that. His point was how would a non sanctioned fight keep Legacy away from the ring?