TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Brett Favre

Wrestling Quirks

When two people who really want to kill each other can't be contained they are ordered to settle their differences in a steel cage.. where the object is to get away from them.

This one is all Vince's fault. The escape rule was put in for some retarded reason, and killed the premise of the match. Although it does still serve as a mild deterrent to a gang run-in.

I've mentioned this one, time and again. Tag team match. Face team is trying to get the tag. Heel team keeps blindly tagging behind the referee's back, and because he hears a hand slap, or the devious heel tells him a tag was made, he goes with it. Face team makes a tag behind the Ref's back, NO! That is just not going to work, because the referee didn't SEE it. This has bugged me ever since I first started watching.

When two people who really want to kill each other can't be contained they are ordered to settle their differences in a steel cage.. where the object is to get away from them.

This one is all Vince's fault. The escape rule was put in for some retarded reason, and killed the premise of the match. Although it does still serve as a mild deterrent to a gang run-in.

The reason behind the escape rule (from what I can tell) is to make it so you have to beat the guy so badly that he can't prevent you from escaping. Remember, in a regular match you only have to keep him down for 3 seconds. In a cage though, it takes a lot more than 3 seconds to climb out so you theoretically have to beat your opponent worse than you would in a regular match.

It's a good idea in theory.

Yeah, I get the theory, it's flawed though in the fact that there are Last Man Standing matches which for all intensive purposes give the "satisfaction" of beating the man long so he can't regain his feet for a full ten count.

I'll take Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard's cage with I Quit rules over any escape the cage rules.

I'm semi-old school in that the Cage Match should be the end all be all blow off of a fued, the cowardly heel can't run away, or have his buddies do a run-in. Actually, when I think about it, I don't mind the climbing over the cage escape rule since it does add some excitement to the matches, but only if you can get a pinfall or submission in the match too. Also fuck the door escape.

[Comic Book Guy]Worst Rule Implemented Ever[/Comic Book Guy]

How about this. Two guys wrestle each other in a main event. It takes 30 minutes for one to beat the other enough to get just ONE pinfall.

Meanwhile the same two guys have a 2 out of 3 falls match and suddenly they're able to pin each other once and someone is able to get a third one in that same 30 minute time-frame!

And in an Iron-Man match they're somehow able to pin each other a bunch!

Similar to above, wrestlers must train really hard for elimination matches and wear themselves out as a result. They seem a lot more prone to 3 counts in those matches.

However, to defend the above, the kayfabe idea is if you have 60 minutes or 2 more falls to beat your opponent, you're more willing to let yourself be counted to the mat instead of exerting the enormous amount of energy we're to believe it takes to raise a shoulder.

Meanwhile the same two guys have a 2 out of 3 falls match and suddenly they're able to pin each other once and someone is able to get a third one in that same 30 minute time-frame!

And in an Iron-Man match they're somehow able to pin each other a bunch!

and they get pins with moves other than their finisher.

another thing with finishers... if someone else uses your finisher, he never gets the pin. especially if someone's finisher is something like a DDT.

Sadly the DDT has been watered down where I don't even really consider it a finisher anymore, unless done onto a chair or on the floor or something.

Whenever you want to run in to save someone, you MUST have your music blaring over the speakers.

I've always assumed that there's somebody sitting backstage by the entrance with a computer, and whenever a wrestler walks/runs by them towards the stage, the person plays their music.

At times when a different wrestler's music is played to "trick" the crowd or whatever, it's because the wrestler asked the music guy to do that.

Sadly the DDT has been watered down where I don't even really consider it a finisher anymore, unless done onto a chair or on the floor or something.

Cody Rhodes has a pretty sweet looking one, and the modified versions used by Edge (jumping) and Christian (top rope) are pretty sweet.

-Whenever someone wants to interrupt an interview, they must always have their music played. They wanna say something so badly that they first need to inform the sound guy to play their music before going to the ring.

I'm going through some tough times right now and this one legitimately gave me a good, laugh out loud moment. Thank you.

Another laugh out loud moment. Thanks.

Similar to above, wrestlers must train really hard for elimination matches and wear themselves out as a result. They seem a lot more prone to 3 counts in those matches.

However, to defend the above, the kayfabe idea is if you have 60 minutes or 2 more falls to beat your opponent, you're more willing to let yourself be counted to the mat instead of exerting the enormous amount of energy we're to believe it takes to raise a shoulder.

"He took that long 2 and a half!"

More on entrance music:

Somehow, the guys in the back know exactly which music to play at the end of a beatdown or heated confrontation. If you think about it, they're really forcing their will on the audience.

For example: Legacy beats down Shane, HHH makes the save, agents including Rotunda and Malenko run in to help out, and HHH music places as he stands triumphant. Malenko's retired and he risked his health out there...ya ever think maybe he deserves to have his James Bond gimmick music played?!

Not that I dont like his music now, but I loved when Kozlov would come to the ring with no music.

And no 'tron video, either. Just a feed of the camera following him down the ramp.

Cody Rhodes has a pretty sweet looking one, and the modified versions used by Edge (jumping) and Christian (top rope) are pretty sweet.

True, Cody's is pretty nice, but it's still a shame that one of _the_ legit feared moves (kayfabe) moves in wrestling is used as a transitional move in matches with women trained enough that they don't die from bumping.

More on entrance music:

Somehow, the guys in the back know exactly which music to play at the end of a beatdown or heated confrontation. If you think about it, they're really forcing their will on the audience.

For example: Legacy beats down Shane, HHH makes the save, agents including Rotunda and Malenko run in to help out, and HHH music places as he stands triumphant. Malenko's retired and he risked his health out there...ya ever think maybe he deserves to have his James Bond gimmick music played?!

They're trained to know. I know who's music is going to play, and I don't even work there. It's not hard to assume they know who's music to play at what times. Besides, Malenko being retired = them not even having his music on hand to play if they wanted to.

I don't care how deep you guys dig with this music stuff, it all makes perfect sense.

-Whenever someone wants to interrupt an interview, they must always have their music played. They wanna say something so badly that they first need to inform the sound guy to play their music before going to the ring.

Like I already said, I imagine it as the entrance music guy sitting backstage and playing a wrestler's music as they pass him towards the stage (Unless they tell him not to), not the wrestlers asking for it to be played.

Like I already said, I imagine it as the entrance music guy sitting backstage and playing a wrestler's music as they pass him towards the stage (Unless they tell him not to), not the wrestlers asking for it to be played.

What about when music plays and then the wrestler enters from a part of the arena nowhere near the entrance, coming through the crowd or something? Does he call the music guy's cell phone? And if he wants it to be a surprise, does he sit in a supply closet with his hand over the phone, talking really quietly saying, "Hey man, go ahead and play my music, but I'm gonna be entering from somewhere else. Don't tell anyone! Man, this is gonna be neat."

Shawn Michaels' superkick started to gain magical powers around 1995.

"Hey, why did Rob Van Dam just throw that chair at me? Good thing he threw it so gently, otherwise-- ERK."

"Boy, this is a competitive match between a bunch of us high-flyers, huh? Weird we all ended up brawling by the foot of the entranceway. Hey, look! There's a guy climbing the ropes up there! Let's put our hands up while we stand here and look at him. What's the worst that could-- ERK."

That was kind of addressed on an episode of Heat by Michael Hayes and Kevin Kelly during a Steve Blackman / Funaki hardcore match.

Hayes: Why did Funaki catch the trash can?

Kelly: Why wouldn't he? "I'm just going to let the trash can hit me in the head!"

-This has been mentioned before this thread, but when a wrestler does the 10 punches to Taker in the corner, they get caught with the Last Ride.

-A high-flyer doing a diving crossbody to a big man. Don't they know by now they're going to get caught and slammed?

The reason behind the escape rule (from what I can tell) is to make it so you have to beat the guy so badly that he can't prevent you from escaping. Remember, in a regular match you only have to keep him down for 3 seconds. In a cage though, it takes a lot more than 3 seconds to climb out so you theoretically have to beat your opponent worse than you would in a regular match.

It's a good idea in theory.

I always figured it was because the two combatants had heat with one another to such an extent that it was unsafe to lock a scrawny referee inside a steel cage with them, and therefore the only way to declare a winner was to see who managed to leave the cage first.

Seriously, can you envision somebody like Mike Chioda reffing a UFC bout? He'd jump in to stop the fight, catch a fist on the jaw and wake up in 2037.

What about when music plays and then the wrestler enters from a part of the arena nowhere near the entrance, coming through the crowd or something? Does he call the music guy's cell phone? And if he wants it to be a surprise, does he sit in a supply closet with his hand over the phone, talking really quietly saying, "Hey man, go ahead and play my music, but I'm gonna be entering from somewhere else. Don't tell anyone! Man, this is gonna be neat."

Yes.