TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zhangmeijie

Stand up if you like crap wrestlers

I just realised something, actually that’s a lie I always knew but just never admitted to anybody, that I love crap wrestlers. Actually the worse the wrestler the more I like them. Call it the anti talent inversion factor. (Just because it sounds like something cool even though its silly.) As much as I like the Finlay’s and Jericho's of this world they can’t compare to a good old barely talented walking joke. It’s much more fun to watch somebody who is a half assed wrestler than it is to match a perfectly executed flawless match. Not that I complain about them mind.

Take Carlito for example, He blows as many moves as He hits but I enjoy Carlito matches about a Billion times more than I do Jericho ones. Not because they are better just because I gain fun from wondering how well the particular match I am watching will be pulled off. With Jericho you know you will get something perfect or close, and that’s cool too, but with a Carlto anything can happen.

Carlito is a wrestling god next to some of the walking, talking rejects that I love though. Bogeyman, The Goon, good old Nathan Jones. I love these guys for the very fact that they are crap. Even going back to the 80’s, Hogan and Savage were always of secondary importance to me. I was too busy enjoying Zeus and Uncle Elmer to care about them. I loved Warrior naturally.

Is it crazy to be this fascinated with what is known elsewhere as wrestlecrap? It probably is but give me Doink the Clown vs. T.L. Hopper and I will be just as happy as if you had giving me AJ Styles vs. CM Punk.

I don't like crap just because it is crap. I like stuff that is so goofy and crazy that it is actually solid gold and infectiously entertaining to watch.

Snitsky, for example. Many liked to say "oh, you only like Snitsky because it's the new silly trend to like stupid things", but Gods honest truth, I absolutely LOVED watching Snitsky as a character. Not so much in the ring, but certainly his crazy promos, the baby-punting and the foot fetish. It was all capitvating TV and I felt better for having watched it than had I never seen it. To most, probably correctly, the guy is a useless goof with no business being in the ring and a childish character (well, at first at least). But it was so over the top and played so beautifully by Snitsky himself, that I got a huge kick out of it, and he quickly became a weekly highlight for me. Pity he's gone

WCW in its dying days is similar. In theory, it should be a little harder to swallow because of the ramifications (the company went out of business), but I'll be damned if the ineptitude of Nitro and Thunder for its final two years weren't so bad that they very nearly became good. WCW was at least unintentionally hilarious when the product was a stinking lump of garbage.

But on the flip side, there is the plain bad, and that doesn't really float my boat as much. Some of the WWE Divas and The Goon for example's sake, I didn't find the same enjoyment from. Ditto for Eric Young, the Kiss My Ass Club, the Big Fat Oily Guy/Big Dick Johnson, etc. They're just bad in the sense of being bad.

So, um what do you think. Do you garner as much fun from the crap as you do the gold in your wrestlers?

Jillian Hall. She's average at best as a wrestler and wouldn't go out of my way to see her in Playboy, but the singing gimmick has me rolling every time.

Jillian Hall. She's average at best as a wrestler and wouldn't go out of my way to see her in Playboy, but the singing gimmick has me rolling every time.

Yes I fully endorse that pick, for the reason stated.

This man:

sycho-sid.jpg

I don't know what it is about Sid, but while others have condemned him, I've never once minded watching him perform. I've always enjoyed his powerbombs, chokeslams, and sledgehammer punches. I'm waiting for the once-a-year "Sid is returning to WWE" rumors to start up again.

This man:

sycho-sid.jpg

I don't know what it is about Sid, but while others have condemned him, I've never once minded watching him perform. I've always enjoyed his powerbombs, chokeslams, and sledgehammer punches. I'm waiting for the once-a-year "Sid is returning to WWE" rumors to start up again.

That man is my hero. When he pinned HBK at MSG for the 123, for the acronym world title, I was ecstatic.

This man:

sycho-sid.jpg

That man is my hero. When he pinned HBK at MSG for the 123, for the acronym world title, I was ecstatic.

I just remember the crowd turning on HBK, and being nearly 100% behind Sid. As a HUGE Sid fan, I loved this and still do. Sid did have some pretty good brawls with people not named Shawn Michaels though. His match with Scott Steiner at Starrcade 2000 is 100X better than it has any right to be. It's either a testament to Steiner's ability to carry someone at the time, or proof Sid can fucking GO when he wants to.

Didn't Sid have a pretty good I quit match around the same time with Bill Goldberg?

If you like crap wrestling, try to watch AWA on ESPN Classic. Sure they have good wrestlers like Curt Hennig and the Midnight Rockers, but they also have plenty of crap like Soldat Ustinov and Teijo Khan, Ricky Rice, an 80 year old Baron von Raschke, and the worst wrestler in the history of the sport, Rocky Mountain Thunder.

Didn't Sid have a pretty good I quit match around the same time with Bill Goldberg?

That he did (in 1998, IIRC), though that match may be remembered better for Sid's epic bladejob than the actual match, which admittedly, was a GREAT brawl.