SATURDAY

Cardinals at Red Sox, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Indians at Dodgers, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Cardinals at Red Sox, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, TBS

White Sox at Cubs, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Guest Jesus Freaks on Coke

NO SUCH THING

Ugh, I'm really not in the mood for crosstown baseball this year. With both teams in first place, there's going to be just way too much dumbassery, and I'm going to be a part of that dumbassery. I'll just hope for 2 out of 3, and that my Cub fan brethren at the games don't get pelted with beer bottles by the opposition's unfortunate combination of mean and stupid, like they did last year, or maybe two years ago.

I'm not ready, either. Where both teams are in the standings never takes away the sense of urgency that permeates these series, but it's going to be even worse with both teams in first. I'm slightly encouraged the White Sox have looked so human at the plate this last week after murdering the ball for a nice stretch there.

ESPN/FOX/TBS Games to Poison Our Youth

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

I know this is supposed to be an '04 rematch, but how many of those guys are still on the team AND not injured (unlike Schilling, Pujols and Ortiz)?

ESPN/FOX/TBS Games to Poison Our Youth

SATURDAY

SUNDAY

I know this is supposed to be an '04 rematch, but how many of those guys are still on the team AND not injured (unlike Schilling, Pujols and Ortiz)?

In the Cardinals' case, Jason Isringhausen.

Wang is out for at least 6 weeks with a lisfranc (sp?) injury. Given that his arm will probably need time to get back up to speed that's more likely an 8-10 week injury.

Updated article at ESPN says Wang is out until September at the earliest. Hank Steinbrenner is lambasting the NL for having such archaic rules where pitchers still run the bases. It was a rule from the 1800's he said. Fuck, why stop there? Baseball could implement Designated Fielders, too. Pitchers that are required to hit is so outdated, we should get rid of hitters that have to field as well.

Hank Steinbrenner is providing some great material. Hopefully he continues to provide great quotes like this for the next several seasons.

Guest Smues

What a gas bag. I'm sure there are plenty of valid arguements against the DH, but the fact that pitchers batted in the 1800s is not among them. Balls and strikes are from the 1800's as well, let's get rid of those. And baseball is a game from the 1800s, we better stop playing it.

Hey how is MLB.tv this year?

If the Marlins are still in the race by the time I get my internets back at home (and I don't see why they won't be) then I think I have no choice but to pick it up.

FYI about Manuel, he was actually the bench coach of the 1997 champion Marlins.

The advertisements (for other products and MLB.tv itself) that play in between the action are still pretty obnoxious and the functionality has taken a couple steps backwards in regards to switching between games on the MLB.tv window itself. Still, the price is the best you're gonna find for baseball service and the addition of 1.2k video quality is nice.

Hank Steinbenner is right. God damn the NL for not instituting a DH. Just look at this list of NL pitchers who have also injured themselves running the bases:

No kidding. Injuries like this just lend credibility to the argument that most baseball players are inferior athletes to football, basketball, soccer, and hockey players.

So what major deal is Stein going to pull off now that his best pitcher is gone for the majority of the season?

Well even if you are an AL pitcher, your lazy ass should be running at some point throughout the year. You figure it would help people stay in shape or prevent injuries. Like I alluded to before, what if this injury would have happened while he was fielding a bunt? Better have someone right by the pitcher to be his Designated Fielder.

I wonder if TheDon yelled "SUCK DICK CHINK GOOK" when Wang went down.

I also wonder if he yelled that when the Yankees' pitcher got injured! o/ \o

Guest Smues
The advertisements (for other products and MLB.tv itself) that play in between the action are still pretty obnoxious and the functionality has taken a couple steps backwards in regards to switching between games on the MLB.tv window itself. Still, the price is the best you're gonna find for baseball service and the addition of 1.2k video quality is nice.

That and the damn advertisments that sometimes play when you first load it. It's really annoying when you try to join a game for a specific at bat and have to sit through an ad.

I hate Hank with all my heart, but he does have a point. Every other level of baseball (except for when two NL affilites meet up in the minors) uses the DH, but the NL has such a great tradition is too damn good to make the game more entertaining so the fans get to see a pitcher try to bunt 95% of the time.

Thing I love about MLB.tv is that within an hour of the game being over it is archived and free. If you don't mind watching a game an hour after it's completion there is no point in buying the service. Last year this is how i watched reds games when i worked.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm sorry, but as a casual fan of baseball up until this season, I think all 9 players on the field should have to fucking bat. Fuck a designated hitter. Act like an athlete and learn to hit the ball better, fucking pussy. You don't see little leaguers suck ass at hitting the ball then going back out and notching K's. Are you more of a pansy than a 12 year old? Lameass AL.

Why stop there? Lets have position players become pitchers as well. Little Leaguers can do it. You won't even need 25 players on the roster. Just pick the five position players who can throw the hardest and have them become the rotation.

Little league pitchers can hit because the competition is much, much easier. You can tell how advanced a league is by where their best hitters usually play. If the pitcher bats fourth, that doesn't say much for the league.

I'm not opposed to the DH. The NL "strategy" is overstated. If the pitcher comes to bat with runners on and less than two outs, he bunts. Otherwise he flails at the ball. A lot of effort it took for the manager to figure that out. It's not exciting, almost never exciting, to watch the pitcher hit.

This is dumb. Why does anyone take anything Hank Steinbrenner says seriously in the first place, let alone when he's pissed off that his best pitcher just got hurt?

This should be a complete non-issue.

I think the pitcher hitting is exciting, because the Cubs rotation actually hits pretty well. Dempster and Lilly have hit a few doubles already, and Zambrano's triple against San Diego was pretty cool. The designated hitter is stupid. "Well, look at how it's allowed great players to extend their careers!" No! That sucks. If you can't play both phases of a baseball game, then get your creaky old ass out of here and make way for someone who can. It doesn't enrich my life as a baseball fan to see Jim Thome in 2008, hacking at slop and sitting on the bench for half a game.

Guest Vitamin X

I was being facetitious with my little league comment, if that wasn't obvious, but Czech beat me to the point I was going to make about the Cubs' rotation not being too shabby at hitting, particularly Zambrano.

Besides, there's always pinch hitting when it comes around to the later innings when the game should get really exciting, so wtf.

Don't hurt 'em, Bavasi!...

I asked Bavasi on Monday about Bedard’s pitch-count threshold. After bouncing between defending and explaining Bedard, the axed GM — clearly exasperated — said I needed to ask the pitcher.

“You gotta ask him,” Bavasi said. “You gotta ask him. Good luck. And he’s gonna have some stupid answer, some dumbass answer.”

I want more comments like this.

Sometimes the pitcher bats 4th because he is the best overall athlete in LL, al. That's not to say that the league sucks, because most of your best hitters are the best overall players at that age and have the best arms. No one is throwing curves or sliders at that point (shouldn't be, anyway) so if you can throw strikes and have a good arm, you will pitch.

Sometimes the pitcher bats 4th because he is the best overall athlete in LL, al. That's not to say that the league sucks, because most of your best hitters are the best overall players at that age and have the best arms. No one is throwing curves or sliders at that point (shouldn't be, anyway) so if you can throw strikes and have a good arm, you will pitch.

That the pitcher can do that is the point. You never see pitchers doing that in professional leagues.