TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jobber of the Week

"I'm fascinated by rap and hip-hop"

Kerry: 'I'm Fascinated by Rap and Hip-Hop'

Likely Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry claimed Tuesday night that he's a big fan of rap and hip-hop music.

The straitlaced Beacon Hill blue blood who married into the $700 million Heinz ketchup fortune told MTV: "I'm fascinated by rap and by hip-hop. I think that there's a lot of poetry in it. There's a lot of anger, a lot of social energy in it."

Kerry said America's leaders disregard rap music at their peril, telling MTV, "I think you better listen to it pretty carefully because it's important."

Asked about some of the more outrageous lyrics in today's rap songs, Kerry replied: "Do I think some lyrics in some songs have stepped over what I consider to be a reasonable line? Yeah, I do."

He then explained, "I think when you start, you know, talking about killing cops or something like that, it bothers me."

Still, Kerry defended the gangsta rap genre, telling MTV: "I'm still listening, because I know that it's a reflection of the street and it's a reflection of life. And I understand all that."

I have to say my biggest problem with Kerry, while I still think he's the better choice, is that he says absolutely nothing with feeling. Like here he's trying to connect with people who both support artist's rights and people who want decency standards, as shown in the first bold line.

But the second bold part is... LOL!!

Guest MikeSC
Kerry: 'I'm Fascinated by Rap and Hip-Hop'

Likely Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry claimed Tuesday night that he's a big fan of rap and hip-hop music.

The straitlaced Beacon Hill blue blood who married into the $700 million Heinz ketchup fortune told MTV: "I'm fascinated by rap and by hip-hop. I think that there's a lot of poetry in it. There's a lot of anger, a lot of social energy in it."

Kerry said America's leaders disregard rap music at their peril, telling MTV, "I think you better listen to it pretty carefully because it's important."

Asked about some of the more outrageous lyrics in today's rap songs, Kerry replied: "Do I think some lyrics in some songs have stepped over what I consider to be a reasonable line? Yeah, I do."

He then explained, "I think when you start, you know, talking about killing cops or something like that, it bothers me."

Still, Kerry defended the gangsta rap genre, telling MTV: "I'm still listening, because I know that it's a reflection of the street and it's a reflection of life. And I understand all that."

I have to say my biggest problem with Kerry, while I still think he's the better choice, is that he says absolutely nothing with feeling. Like here he's trying to connect with people who both support artist's rights and people who want decency standards, as shown in the first bold line.

But the second bold part is... LOL!!

Man, this is going to be such a total slaughtering in November.

-=Mike

...Hmm, Air America is run by Democrats and will attack Bush --- possible FEC violation? I'd suggest bringing up the charge, but it might give them an audience

Guest Dids

You know- I never step into CE, but the hip-hop in the subject got me interested.

Kerry's answer is fine. As a hip-hop fan I feel the same way. His second statement is on point.

I saw people rip on Mike in HD, and now I understand why.

Dids, I would have agreed with his point, but the thing is that I actually saw the interview, and he said it without any actual feeling. Like it was something he was just handed off by his handlers.

And yes, GW has done the same before. And Wesley Clark's comments on Outkast humored me, too. But, man...

And no, Mike, I don't think it'll be a slaughtering, because of both independents and the "any idiot over what we have now" vote.

Guest MikeSC
You know- I never step into CE, but the hip-hop in the subject got me interested.

Kerry's answer is fine. As a hip-hop fan I feel the same way. His second statement is on point.

I saw people rip on Mike in HD, and now I understand why.

I know.

Intelligence is in short supply in that pit.

Hence, I ignore the place.

Leave the mutants, troglodytes, and genetic U-turns to themselves.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Well you know Kerry is going to be America's second black president...

Just look at that photo:

If that doesn't scream "Friend of the Common Man", nothing does.

Do you think we could get him to do some "He's a Man's Man" promos, like William Regal did years ago in the WWF? Now THAT would rock.

-=Mike

..."John Kerry: He makes his OWN orange juice --- and he leaves the PULP IN! HE'S HARDCORE! HE'S A MAN'S MAN! EAT THAT, YOU LITTLE..."

Good lord, Kerry's out of his mind.

Yes, Virginia, he will be slaughtered come November.

Thanks to Kerry's Vietnam experience, he probably got a good understanding of black culture, especially when fighting alongside Afro-American soldiers.

Kerry's probably got more black culture in his pinky finger than all of us combined...

Guest thebigjig

Kerry needs a hip-hop possey that follows him around... a thug enterage (sp?)

I see potential here... Kerry could adopt the Warren Beaty Bullworth act!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Hey, that's a pretty good random comment. Ok, I'm voting for Kerry again, as opposed to not voting at all.

Guest MikeSC

Heck, I might vote for him if he pulled that off.

-=Mike

-=Mike

If he started "rapping" in debates and managed to fuck Halle Berry, hell I KNOW I'd vote for him.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

If he started "rapping" in debates and managed to fuck Halle Berry, hell I KNOW I'd vote for him.

Well, if he set up so that I could fuck Halle Berry, I'd CAMPAIGN for him.

-=Mike

Guest thebigjig

Could you IMAGINE President Kerry, accompanied by the ComeBackKerry possey... decked out in gangsta gear, opening his inaugural

address with something like this line, from Bullworth

"Yo, everybody gonna get sick someday / But nobody knows how they gonna pay / Health care, managed care, HMOs / Ain't gonna work, no sir, not those / 'Cause the thing that's the same in every one of these / Is these motherfuckers there, the insurance companies!"

He should run as "Lil John."

I would pay money to hear him yell OKAYYYYYYEEEEEE~! out of nowhere and scare the crap of everyone. E-YEAH-UH!

-=Mike

Ripper, my Africian-American friend, I hate to do this but I feel like I must.

I can appreciate how oppresed your race has been over the years, but is it really necessary to have such an exploiting Avatar? I'm sure this is nothing more than some sort of defensive mechanism that your people enact to fend off the countless effects of racism your group has faced every day for the last 400+ years. But remember, women have been objects of explotation even longer. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we need to respect each other and focus our aggressions on who's really responsible for all your troubles -- the Bush Administration, the WTO and the IMF. Oh, and Ronald Reagan, too...

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I would pay money to hear him yell OKAYYYYYYEEEEEE~! out of nowhere and scare the crap of everyone. E-YEAH-UH!

Howard Dean tried that. Didn't work.

Kerry should just keep it crunk in his normal monotone voice.

-=Mike

Ripper, my Africian-American friend, I hate to do this but I feel like I must.

I can appreciate how oppresed your race has been over the years, but is it really necessary to have such an exploiting Avatar? I'm sure this is nothing more than some sort of defensive mechanism that your people enact to fend off the countless effects of racism your group has faced every day for the last 400+ years. But remember, women have been objects of explotation even longer. So I guess what I'm trying to say is we need to respect each other and focus our aggressions on who's really responsible for all your troubles -- the Bush Administration, the WTO and the IMF. Oh, and Ronald Reagan, too...

I see your point, but I just must pay tribute to the hotness of assless women with their ribs visable. I don't think that there is anything more attractive and I must share this with the world.

At least i don't have some disgusting fat woman with a round ass in the avatar. UGH. The beauty that is there now is something that can bring together the races and sexs. Man, woman, black, white...we all can appreciate the "starving" look.

While I can appreciate your affection for the female gender, take these words of wisdom from my Feminine Studies Professor back in college:

"A woman that's beautiful on the inside completes a man more than one that's beautiful on the outside."

Lara Flynn Boyle is just as beautiful as that Jennifer woman that dated that one actor for so long.

Tolerance is a two-way street...

Guest MikeSC
He should run as "Lil John."

"I won't take any special interest money...BEE-YOTCH!"

-=Mike