TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WWF/E Tidbits from the past

Any reason Diesel didn't have a match at WMX after coming off of his Rumble push?

Diesel was in the 10 man tag match that was cut due to time constraints

The 10-man was IRS/Martel/Jarrett/Headshrinkers. Unless Diesel was put in as a replacement; I didn't see the match.

I was watching "The Main Event" from 2/89, where the Mega-Powers exploded, and it ends with Hogan in a rage searching the backstage area for Randy Savage, and in one of the strangest moments (in hindsight) he grabs a passing Shawn Michaels by the head screaming "Where's Randy!" and then does the very same thing to Bret Hart who's coming up behind Shawn.

I just found that incredibly odd and funny, thought I'd share.

I remember in the late 90's, the Headbangers turned heel and started a feud with the Oddities. They wore toy tag team championships, and dubbed themselves the "Tag Team Champions of the Universe". If I remember correctly, they "defended" the titles a few times, before actually losing them to the Oddities, then the entire angle was scrapped.

yea and the oddities actually celebrated and the bangers mocked them. end of angle

I think this one has already been covered, but had the Gulf War not happened / Vince decided the Slaughter angle would be in bad taste, would WMVII have been Hogan getting his win back over Warrior?

I was watching "The Main Event" from 2/89, where the Mega-Powers exploded, and it ends with Hogan in a rage searching the backstage area for Randy Savage, and in one of the strangest moments (in hindsight) he grabs a passing Shawn Michaels by the head screaming "Where's Randy!" and then does the very same thing to Bret Hart who's coming up behind Shawn.

I need to see video of that.

- Sabu turned down a contract offer in 1993. He worked two dark matches vs. Owen Hart and one vs. Scott Taylor (Scotty 2 Hotty) and Vince offered him a contract, but to Vince's shock, he said no because he wanted to help out the upstart ECW, which hadn't even turned into Extreme Championship Wrestling by that point.

- New Jack was contacted to be brought in in 1998 for the Nation of Domination angle, but the deal fell through.

- RVD & Sabu vs. Tommy Dreamer & Sandman was rumored to be booked for SummerSlam '97, but obviously never happened.

I need to see video of that.

The best part was how the Rockers and Neidhart sold Hogan's rage like death while Bret barely budged and just had a look as to say "What's wrong w/ you?"

That ridiculous animal rights thing was probably just another thorn in the side of a beleaguered WWF that they didn't need to deal with. Chances are, there were similar charges years prior, but Vince and company simply laughed them off. Remember, Koko had Frankie, the Bulldogs had Matilda and Ricky had that Kimono dragon for a short time. On the other hand, it could have been that the kooks wanted to attack a weakened WWF and kick them while they were down.

This isn't quite old-school, but I think it's kind of interesting. I was just looking at Cawthon's site, and it appears that during his WWE comeback in 2003, Hogan wrestled FIVE matches: 2 as himself and 3 as Mr. America.

This is all from Meltzer on the Wrestling Classics board:

"The day before Owen's funeral, when Vince and Bret met on a bike path in Calgary to hash things out, Vince was wired and there was a Calgary police officer listening. I don't know this to be the case, but I do know Bret has alleged there were also SWAT team members waiting in the wings because Vince didn't trust that Bret wasn't going to throw him off a bridge near where they met. They talked on the tape about Montreal, only the two of them, and it was a shoot."

"Owen never had an option. I had a discussion with him in November 1997 while this was going on. He wanted out of his contract to go to WCW, although he was not vociferous about it like Davey was. Vince refused to give him a release. Neidhart never had a contract so he was free to go. Davey was offered a release if he paid Vince $100,000, which he did. Owen did ask for a release and was turned down. His options at the time were either quitting the business or wrestling for Vince. Vince offered him a raise to stay, probably to make him feel better, but ultimately he had no options anyway."

"HHH and Shawn, who were jealous of Rock (since Rock and HHH were on the same path upwards as the tall guys with good bodies who were good athletes that the company loved), wanted Bret to pin Rock in a TV match in 1997. Bret refused to pin Rock, perhaps as much because he liked him (which is why Rock always goes out of his way to praise Bret even though his stardom really came after Bret left), more because it was his way to stick to to Shawn and HHH for Shawn getting out of Mania"

This is all from Meltzer on the Wrestling Classics board:

"The day before Owen's funeral, when Vince and Bret met on a bike path in Calgary to hash things out, Vince was wired and there was a Calgary police officer listening. I don't know this to be the case, but I do know Bret has alleged there were also SWAT team members waiting in the wings because Vince didn't trust that Bret wasn't going to throw him off a bridge near where they met. They talked on the tape about Montreal, only the two of them, and it was a shoot."

"

That is one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time. I can just picture it now.

re: Assault and Battery, wasn't this rumored to be the new name for Public Enemy when it was thought they'd sign with the WWF in 1995? (They even had a tryout dark match at Survivor Series that year against the Smoking Gunns, IIRC)

Hello Dave,

I have a question, you've probably heard it before but I hoped you could still answer:

What is the truth behind Hogan winning the title at Wrestlemania 9? Was the original plan to have Bret beat Yoko then face Hogan at Summerslam, but Hogan said Bret was too small?

Thanks, Ray Smith.

DM: A funny story. I don't think anyone knew Hogan was winning the title ahead of time, and it may have been a last minute plan. I do know that as of the day before the show, Hart didn't even know he was losing to Yokozuna, and considered it kind of unprofessional, because he did assume he was, to not be at least told ahead of time. Hart and I were not friends by any means at the time, but I do know he contacted a mutual friend to find out if I knew what the finish was, and this was the day before the show. I assumed Yokozuna was winning, but also didn't know for sure. After Hogan won, the idea was for Hart to beat Hogan for the title, to firmly establish Hart as the new big star, at SummerSlam 1993. Hogan didn't want to lose to Hart, and quit the company, but agreed to drop it to big Yokozuna instead of small Hart at King of the Ring, and then after fulfilling house show commitments, quit. Hogan was already working for New Japan and WWF at the same time, which led to some issues when Hogan did an interview in Japan on the New Japan TV show, saying that the IWGP title was a much bigger deal than the WWF title, because anyone could win the WWF title, but you have to be a great wrestler to hold the IWGP belt. You can imagine Vince McMahon and all of the WWF's reaction to that. Hogan soothed their feelings by saying he never said it and was misquoted. Only problem was, it was not a print interview but an interview shown on the New Japan show, but I don't think anyone in WWF ever saw the tape so they believed Hogan.

I just read that The Bushwackers caused a ruckus at a November 1991 house show by initiating a "Faggot" chant in a match against the Beverly Brothers.

I also read that Bushwacker Luke handled contract negotiations between Vader and theWWF in 1996.

I also read that Bushwacker Luke handled contract negotiations between Vader and the WWF in 1996.

Whenever I picture a Bushwhacker being serious, I automatically think of the WMVII Instant Replay Debate "I just don't know cousin Luke, what do you see?" "Oh boy Cousin Butch, I just can't tell!"

How exactly did the Ultimate Warrior debut in the WWE? Were there vignettes shown or what?

And what show did he debut on?

No.

Angle would go in as the face and lose to WWE Champ Lesnar.

Booker would win the Rumble and defeat HHH at Mania for the WHC.

Lesnar would then drop the WWE title to Benoit at the next SD PPV.

Woah, that's like my dream scenario.

So, what would Brock have done in the PPVS after SurSeries? I presume a title defense against Edge, maybe Eddie?

I'd always assumed that the plan was for Angle (as a face) to end the undefeated streak of Brock at Mania. Why was the plan to go with Benoit winning the belt? Any info on what would have happened afterwards?

And, what would have resulted from Booker's title win? A feud with Jericho?

How exactly did the Ultimate Warrior debut in the WWE? Were there vignettes shown or what?

I think he got one of those "next week we'll see in action a newcomer here to the WWF, the Ultimate Warrior" intros at the end of Challenge when they were hyping the show for the next week.

His actual debut was on Wrestling Challenge sometime in October.

Guest MikeSC

I think he got one of those "next week we'll see in action a newcomer here to the WWF, the Ultimate Warrior" intros at the end of Challenge when they were hyping the show for the next week.

Was that steel chain thing with Hercules his debut? I honestly am fuzzy on the debut of Warrior.

-=Mike

Was that steel chain thing with Hercules his debut? I honestly am fuzzy on the debut of Warrior.

-=Mike

The Hercules thing was in February, Warrior was mainly involved in squash matches from his debut until then and his only competitive tv matches were a 10 man battle royal on Superstars(won by Bam Bam Bigelow) and the 88 Royal Rumble.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

His 1st televised match was taped in Wisconsin in 87. His last taped match was taped in Wisconsin in 96.

/pointless fact