TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JoeDirt

Fact or a myth?

The Blue Blazer winning the IC title could have *maybe* happened. Russo was out of his mind enough then for it to be a possibility. It wasn't like the belt had any prestige left with it at that time. A quick run-down of the champs during that period:

Jesse James

Goldust

Godfather

Jeff Jarrett

Not exactly "next in line" material for a World's title shot.

Vince had more faith in face vs. heel than he had with face vs. face filling out a 60, 000 + arena at the time. Hogan vs. Perfect did get changed to Hogan vs. Warrior at the end of the Rumble when Hulk called for the Warrior to be the last guy.

Remember, Hogan was the one who pushed for the Warrior to be his heir, whether for sincere or insincere reasons. Vince didn't think the Warrior had the charm that Hogan had to fill up arenas or carry month + long storylines like Hogan could. Oh, the irony.

I think this is a question that I'll shoot Meltzer an e-mail about. It's been a while since I read how the build-up for Mania 6 was going down.

Owen Hart was to win the IC title at Over The Edge

This one is true.

Yeah, it was supposed to be the reward for Owen going along with the whole Blue Blazer thing in the first place, I believe.

Owen Hart was to win the IC title at Over The Edge

This one is true.

Yeah, it was supposed to be the reward for Owen going along with the whole Blue Blazer thing in the first place, I believe.

I guess I keep reading too much into the "Owen Hart" part of it rather than the "Blue Blazer" winning the title, to me I thought it meant Blazer loses to Godfather and "Owen" wins the next night or down the road

I mean were they planing a Richter-Moolah situation (or Los Conquista-Hardyz) situation where after winning the Blazer would have been revealed to be Owen Hart?

Another thing from useless moron useless moron Scott Keith:

Was Mr. Perfect really supposed to win the 1990 Royal Rumble? (might be 1991)

If he's so useless stop making use of him by posting his tidbits.

Vince had more faith in face vs. heel than he had with face vs. face filling out a 60, 000 + arena at the time. Hogan vs. Perfect did get changed to Hogan vs. Warrior at the end of the Rumble when Hulk called for the Warrior to be the last guy.

Remember, Hogan was the one who pushed for the Warrior to be his heir, whether for sincere or insincere reasons. Vince didn't think the Warrior had the charm that Hogan had to fill up arenas or carry month + long storylines like Hogan could. Oh, the irony.

I think this is a question that I'll shoot Meltzer an e-mail about. It's been a while since I read how the build-up for Mania 6 was going down.

So you're saying Hogan called an audible DURING the actual Rumble itself?

Yes.

I'm waiting for a response from Meltzer on this one since I want to be sure about this. But yeah, that's what I remember about the match.

I doubt that Hogan/Hennig was going to headline WM 6. They did the Hgoan/Warrior tag against Hennig and Poffo at a SNME where Hogan and Warrior teased problems.

From Cawthon's site:

WWF @ Chattanooga, TN - UTC Arena - January 3, 1990

Saturday Night's Main Event #25 - 1/27/90:

WWF World Champion Hulk Hogan & WWF IC Champion the Ultimate Warrior defeated Mr. Perfect & the Genius at the 8-minute mark when Hogan pinned the Genius with the legdrop after the Genius sustained Warrior's gorilla press slam; after the bout, Warrior accidentally clotheslined Hogan after Hogan grabbed him from behind as Warrior was fighting off Perfect & the Genius; moments later, Hogan and Warrior had a face-to-face confrontation and shoving match as a result of the miscommunication

I've heard and read about Sid shitting his pants during the main event of Wrestlemania 13 against the Undertaker. That can't posibly be true can it? If so is that something that happens alot during matches or did the Undertaker really scare the shit out of Sid

Guest LooneyTune

Sid shat his pants AT A HOUSE SHOW. It happend on a chokeslam spot, and Undertaker pinned him a second later after Sid declared it.

I asked about the WM 9 incident once on WOL when Meltzer had some guest on who was really close to Liz and Savage, and he said that Savage hitting Hogan was a myth, and that it really WAS a jetski accident.

I remember reading once that towards the end of his run in 1997, Duke Drose got in serious trouble because he used to go to local bars and clubs after shows, hook up with random women and slip them date rape drugs and pretty much have his way with them. This led to him getting "roughed up" by Bradshaw, and eventually his getting fired. Any truth to this?

Guest Salacious Crumb
Sid shat his pants AT A HOUSE SHOW. It happend on a chokeslam spot, and Undertaker pinned him a second later after Sid declared it.

The thing people always leave out is that Sid had a stomach virus.

Guest LooneyTune

The thing people always leave out is that Sid had a stomach virus.

I gave up mentioning that, since no one pays attention anyway. People don't just outright shit themselves, unless they have something wrong with them.

That's how the story goes altough it doesn't make sense. Bulldog is legit strong and probably take out 3 guys no problem and Waltman knows some form of matial arts HOW THE FUCK can't they handle around 8 marienes and attempt to save their friend?

That's crazy, military training includes martial arts, and Waltman's pretty scrawny, so one on one I'd believe a Marine could take him. Bulldog may be able to handle himself, but one on seven (subtracting one to deal with Waltman), no way.

That's how the story goes altough it doesn't make sense. Bulldog is legit strong and probably take out 3 guys no problem and Waltman knows some form of matial arts HOW THE FUCK can't they handle around 8 marienes and attempt to save their friend?

That's crazy, military training includes martial arts, and Waltman's pretty scrawny, so one on one I'd believe a Marine could take him. Bulldog may be able to handle himself, but one on seven (subtracting one to deal with Waltman), no way.

THe version of the story I heard were that all three guys, Shawn, Bulldog, and Waltman were extremely intoxicated at the time of the incident, and wouldn't have even been able to put up a fight if they wanted to.

Shawn was pretty well passed out in the back of the car, and Bulldog and Waltman, for whatever reason, had trouble getting out of the car, so the marines had a ton of free shots on Michaels, who was in no condition to defend himself. When Bulldog and Waltman finally did get out of the car, the marines, however many were there, quickly fled.

I remember reading once that towards the end of his run in 1997, Duke Drose got in serious trouble because he used to go to local bars and clubs after shows, hook up with random women and slip them date rape drugs and pretty much have his way with them. This led to him getting "roughed up" by Bradshaw, and eventually his getting fired. Any truth to this?

That was in Martha Hart's book. I could buy it was true, but I get the feeling a lot of it was bullshit.

Guest LooneyTune

Droese was gone by the Summer of 1996 I thought, but otherwise, I've heard the same thing. Probably a little exagerated, but meh. Who cares about Duke Droese?

I stand corrected. Meltzer said "no" on Hogan/Hennig headling the Skydome for Wrestlemania 6. The feud never drew and Hennig wasn't a draw in the WWF.

Is it true that Hulk Hogan was supposed to drop the WWF title to Bret Hart at King of the Ring 93 but refused because he felt Hart was beneath him?

For all intents and purposes, yes.

It's one of the main reasons why Hart never had a kind word to say about Hogan before jumping ship to WCW in '97 after Survivor Series. Many folks were surprised they managed to get along so well in WCW but Hogan's charm has no bounds with people.

Vince had more faith in face vs. heel than he had with face vs. face filling out a 60, 000 + arena at the time.  Hogan vs. Perfect did get changed to Hogan vs. Warrior at the end of the Rumble when Hulk called for the Warrior to be the last guy.

I know you already said you were wrong, but I thought it was worth pointing out that you clearly don't even remember the match correctly. While Hogan and Warrior did have a confrontation during the Rumble, it was during the MIDDLE of it and Warrior was soon eliminated. The Rumble actually came down to Hogan vs. Perfect so if that what was supposed to lead to your supposed Hogan-Perfect match at Mania it did occur.

I don't know for sure, but I think the Luger thing at WM10 is true. I thought I heard Meltzer say that Luger was supposed to beat Yoko to sort of give him the win he never got in his feud with him and then Luger was going to turn around and lose it to Bret later in the show.

As for the Blazer winning the IC title, it has been confirmed as true, but I didn't even really need to hear it because I thought it was fairly obvious that he was going to win it.

As most have said, Dibiase was definately winning the title at WM4 and I still think it's a travesty that he never held the belt, even more so now that JBL has done it with a lesser version of his gimmick.

As for the Austin winning the Final Four match, I think it may be semi-true. I thought I remember hearing Meltzer say that when it was still just a #1 contenders match Bret was going to win. But when Shawn lost his will to lose, I mean smile, they panicked and planned on having Austin win it. But then later they came up with the have Bret win then drop to Sid plan. So the part about the injury costing Austin the title isn't true, but I believe the part about him being booked to win it, although for only a very brief time, is true. But I most definately could be wrong about this, I just think I remember Meltzer mentioning it once.

Guest Pariah

How can something be semi-true? Its either true or false, there is no middle ground.

Guest LooneyTune
Luger was Never Scheduled To Win. Bret Hart was already penciled in to win the title since the Rumble PPV, which was exactly 3 months and 1 day before Wrestlemania X.

I think Luger was scheduled to win the belt at WM 10 since prior to Summerslam 93 but the plan changed to Bret getting the strap at RR 94. Luger was obviously being groomed to take Hogan's spot and I believe they did the count out finish at SS so he could get the win at the biggest show of the year. But Luger was not a guy with enough charisma or star power to be able to afford not winning the belt at that show and as such his heat died down a lot. If they wanted Luger to be a big star they needed to have given him the belt at Summerslam. Trying ot stretch it out was a mistake and history proved it.