TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

The Concert Thread

No band you shall ever see at any other point in your lifetime shall ever have so much as a fighting chance of matching the performance that Radiohead shall inevitably give

I HAD NEVER SEEN A SHOOTING STAR BEFORE. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap. The staccato piano chords ascended repeatedly. "Black eyed angels swam at me," Yorke sang like his dying words. "There was nothing to fear, nothing to hide." The trained critical part of me marked the similarity to Coltrane's "Ole." The human part of me wept in awe.

I was there. I think I might have met this prick, too. He told us how he didn't own a TV.

I just got back from Sunbears/The Virgins/Black Kids. For all the shit we give Black Kids on this board, I had a fuck ton of fun. And The Virgins put on a fan-fucking-tastic show.

I just picked up tickets to see Fountains of Wayne do an acoustic show at The Paradise Rock Club in Boston, MA on February 28th. Really curious to see this. I love Fountains of Wayne and they'll be playing some new songs but it doesn't seem like most of their songs would lend themselves to acoustic versions but I guess we'll see. I love band and I like the venue so I'm there.

December 19th has Gwar, Kingdom of Sorrow, and Toxic Holocaust back up here at Lupo's/The Strand in Providence, RI.

PRO's:

-GWAR

-TOXIC HOLOCAUST

-Best Gwar show I've ever been to, and I've seen them every time but one when they're up here since the summer of '06 (which is a surprising 5 times).

-Kingdom of Sorrow combined the few things I like about both Hatebreed and Crowbar into one band.

-The pit will be more insane than it was at Rock and Shock, since there will be less casual Gwar fans and more diehards.

CON's:

-Providence is a good 45-minute drive, and parking is always a bitch to find.

-December 19th is going to be FREEZING, and nobody wears hoodies at a Gwar show.

-Leaving we'll be covered in food coloring dyed water, and thus will be freezing even more than we would normally.

-Every time I go to a show at Lupo's/The Strand, there's always some complete fucking asshole in the parking lot who just won't move even when there's plenty of room to go.

Needless to say, the pro's definitely outweigh the con's. It's fucking GWAR.

I really want to see Byrne when he's in the UK next year. Broke right now, but picking up tickets as soon as I get paid next month. Have fun tomorrow night Bps, I look forward to hearing how the show is.

The next thing I'm going to is Slipknot, in London on Monday. A friend had a spare ticket and I fancied a day in London, maybe hit the Tate Modern, or possibly another museum if my friend doesn't fancy the Tate. So long as it's free, I'm game.

Neil Young with Wilco opening tonight. Pretty excited as I've enjoyed both a ton in the past when I've seen them.

How was it?

Neil Young with Wilco opening tonight. Pretty excited as I've enjoyed both a ton in the past when I've seen them.

How was it?

Really good. Wilco's set was longer and more adventurous than I expected it to be with them opening. They tore it up on Spiders. The audience was more receptive than I expected too.

Neil Young was good too, but it did grow a bit tiresome. He doesn't really take the songs to anywhere new and you can only hear so many distortion guitar solos before they start to blend together a bit.

Uh-oh...due to the impending weather we're going to get up here in the Northeast this weekend, I might not be going to Gwar after all. I've already seen them this year, true, and it was the best show I've ever seen by them, but it's fucking GWAR.

Saw Titus Andronicus and Los Campesinos! tonight. Preeeetty good show. Titus Andronicus are a pretty great live band. We got to hear a new song, too, and it was fucking fantastic. It was 6 or 7 minutes long, and at one point Andrew Cedermark kicked his drummer's crash cymbal off of its stand. At one point he was talking about how there's nothing in New Jersey and I, being a former resident of Ridgewood and Titus Andronicus being from Glen Rock, shouted "you guys have the huge fucking rock!" and I realized that being the asshole that shouts shit at the band isn't really that fun. We had a funny conversation about it at the merch table after the show though, and it turns out they don't know my only friend who went to Glen Rock High School.

Los Campesinos! were pretty fun too. They're a lot more aesthetically polished than Titus Andronicus. At one point the singer (Gareth? They all have those stupid stage last names) broke his microphone, rolled it off stage to a roadie (or some tech guy, they probably don't have roadies), the roadie fixes the microphone, rolls it back, and Gareth picks it up and immediately starts singing. This all happens in perfect 4/4 time. I thought that was funny. The two girls in Los Campesinos were the cutest two girls in Jacksonville this evening. Especially the bassist. Wow. Like I said, aesthetically pleasing.

It was fun.

Oh, to live in Germany. Seriously, this year's Roadburn festival has a great line-up: Amon Duul II, Saint Vitus, Baroness, Cathedral, Wolves In The Throne Room, Negura Bunget, Ufomammut, Bohren & der Club of Gore, Mono, and Church of Misery-that is too great for words. I'd kill to see Saint Vitus live.

Oh, and Earth and Tribes of Neurot are playing. Saw it on their Myspace.

Saw Metallica this past Saturday in Philly. Great show, but they played six songs off the new album. I think four would have been enough.

I went down to this show too. Agreed on the number of new songs (especially since I've only briefly listened to the new album), but I enjoyed the mix of older songs they played. Thought the set-up/effects were good too. Overall I really enjoyed it.

Saw Metallica this past Saturday in Philly. Great show, but they played six songs off the new album. I think four would have been enough.

I went down to this show too. Agreed on the number of new songs (especially since I've only briefly listened to the new album), but I enjoyed the mix of older songs they played. Thought the set-up/effects were good too. Overall I really enjoyed it.

What older songs did you guys get? And how long did they go for, the usual 2 plus hour Metallica or shorter?

I think it ended up being a bit longer than 2 hours (I didn't really pay attention to what time it actually started).

Older songs they did: Creeping Death, Ride the Lightning, Master, One, Seek and Destroy, and then a bunch of songs off the Black Album (Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Unforgiven and Sad But True).

Probably "uncool" to mention this show. On February 11th, theres a concert with Disturbed feat. Sevendust and Skindred coming to Augusta, GA. I've never had the chance to see Sevendust live, and Skindred is a bit of a guilty pleasure. Disturbed's last album was decent enough, so I may check it out.

On May 17th I'm going to see Queensryche. I can't wait for this, as last year I didn't get to see them. Should be great!

Coachella lineup went up this morning. Leonard Cohen is on it, among others, but the Killers are somehow headlining Saturday night.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Oh, to live in Germany. Seriously, this year's Roadburn festival has a great line-up: Amon Duul II, Saint Vitus, Baroness, Cathedral, Wolves In The Throne Room, Negura Bunget, Ufomammut, Bohren & der Club of Gore, Mono, and Church of Misery-that is too great for words. I'd kill to see Saint Vitus live.

Oh, and Earth and Tribes of Neurot are playing. Saw it on their Myspace.

It's in Holland, isn't it? That's sick.

Oh, and Grails will be there, plus Neurosis and fifteen bands invited by Neurosis, which will probably add up to Isis, Red Sparowes, Justin Broadrick in some fashion, Mouth of the Architects, Pelican, Russian Circles..who knows. Sick.

Sick.

Though I'm not a huge fan, KISS will playing a concert in Halifax in July that I'm hyped to see. It's an out door show, expecting around 40,000. They are saying that it will be a full out KISS show (makeup, pyro, crazy shit galore). No other bands for the festival like show have been announced as of yet.