TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

All-Time Football (Soccer) Team Draft

I'm going to leave the stadium a while longer and take a man who seems to be perhaps a bit underrated in the scheme of things.

John_Charles_'62.jpg

The "Gentle Giant", John Charles

He could play centre back or centre forward equally well while still scoring at rate of a goal every other game throughout his career. He became not only a Leeds but a Juventus legend (3 league titles during his spell 1957-62, voted their best ever foreign player in 1997), and despite his size and strength was never booked in his whole career.

OOh sorry, didn't get a PM, reet, so for my 2 Picks...

Deco

"He may look like a lost boy in a Japanese comic but Deco is intelligent, focused, hard, arrogant and a superb passer." - British football magazine FourFourTwo on Deco's abilities.

deco2702_400x978.jpg

Some say he's past it, but for me he's the one who can pass it. Sublime player and I'm surprised in a way he's drifted this far back in the picks and is sitting on someones bench - mine no less. Hey and fun fact time, he started his career at Corinthians who have a Black & White away kit (ok so he only made 2 appearances but shh). I honestly can't wait to watch him this season at Chelsea - even more so if they sign Kaka to play alongside him! Lucky cockney gits.

and here's the mandatory Deco skills youtube video.

and for my 2nd pick:

Kevin Keegan

I would love it, just love it...

kevin_keegan-head_over_heels_in_love_s.jpg

OK, so his qualities as a manager are questionable, even I as a devout Geordie will admit that. He's passionate, but a bit TOO passionate and I think that can rub off both positively and negatively on the players around him - (read 1996/1997 season - never has a team blew a lead and a hold on a Championship so great as Newcastle that year).

However as a player? Jesus, I'm surprised he's slipped back this far as well! Was told he was too small to play football, so played it anyway and became the only English player to be voted European player of the year twice. Skillful, fast and a great knack of scoring. Ended his playing career at Newcastle United by leaving the pitch on a helicopter... seriously. We love him, can't explain why, we just do. He's an adopted Geordie.

Keegan announced his retirement prior to the end of the 1983-1984 season. His last league game came against Brighton and Hove Albion, scoring in a 3-1 victory. Keegan's final appearance for Newcastle came in a friendly against Liverpool some days later, leaving the pitch in a helicopter whilst still dressed in his kit. He moved with his family to Spain, stating that he would never enter football management, although he did carry out occasional work as a football pundit for British television.

Keegan Leaving Newcastle

To be able to have two players like Keegan and Deco to come off the bench to add their vision, pace and skill to the line up is just a gift I never thought I'd have - Keegan and Milburn up front? wow.

I was wondering how much longer Keegan would be around for, I remember discussing him many pages ago.

Cheer up Kevin Keegan

Oh, what can it mean

To a sad Geordie bastard

And a shite football team

I have to have at least one Forest player in my squad, and as Pearce is gone I'll go for the next best defender we've had in modern times

_41155285_des203.jpg

Des Walker

Pacey, strong in the tackle and an accomplished international. The Forest fan's renditions of "You'll Never Beat Des Walker" were (almost) literally true.

I'm going to take the best North American player ever, not because he's North American, but because he's really that damn good.

Plus, I need a smaller striker to come off the bench.

Hugo Sanchez.

I'd like to thank you all for not selecting a ground with the last few selections and to be honest I was also keeping my eye on Molineux and Christie Park. Bonus points to you, if you know where Christie Park is. With how most of my side looks, I almost have to make this selection, now if only I could keep out all the OOT JCL's.

DSC00798.jpg

Old Trafford

I'd like to thank you all for not selecting a ground with the last few selections and to be honest I was also keeping my eye on Molineux and Christie Park. Bonus points to you, if you know where Christie Park is. With how most of my side looks, I almost have to make this selection, now if only I could keep out all the OOT JCL's.

DSC00798.jpg

Old Trafford

Nice stadium, shite supports worse atmosphere - and you know that's true if Roy Keane even has a go at them. However, if you're choosing it just as a stadium without the often quiet (despite the amazing football) supporters, then that's a good choice. If I had to pick one for Supports, I'd have gone with Anfield, despite being a Geordie, as I feel their are some of the most vocal, passionate and dedicated fans to their club - look at the stands they've taken this season towards how their owners have treated the club. Man U were in a similar circumstance when Glazer took over, and they basically rolled over and accepted it, apart from the few guys who went and formed FC Manchester (Power to them to be fair).

Nice stadium, shite supports worse atmosphere - and you know that's true if Roy Keane even has a go at them. However, if you're choosing it just as a stadium without the often quiet (despite the amazing football) supporters, then that's a good choice. If I had to pick one for Supports, I'd have gone with Anfield, despite being a Geordie, as I feel their are some of the most vocal, passionate and dedicated fans to their club - look at the stands they've taken this season towards how their owners have treated the club. Man U were in a similar circumstance when Glazer took over, and they basically rolled over and accepted it, apart from the few guys who went and formed FC Manchester (Power to them to be fair).

I couldn't give a fuck about the support that fills it. See this line.

...now if only I could keep out all the OOT JCL's.

Just rolled over and took it too.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/06/30/sports/world.php

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...er-protest.html

Doesn't matter in the end, the Dippers will lose out when Dubai comes calling and no one will care once the money starts flowing in.

Well there's attacking people due to being a thug, and protesting and actually trying to remove them from the club through vocal protesting and action like Liverpool have done.

And that will get them nowhere.

Shareholders United, IMUSA, protests, rallies, sponsor boycotts. All useless in the end, money is the only thing that matters in the Premier League.

Created a new postion by playing in the space between Midfield and Attack, a great option if I need to change formation at any time

Nandor Hidegkuti

Hidegkuti.jpg