TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheFranchise

All-Time Football (Soccer) Team Draft

Well, we decided to "freeze" any DQ'ed teams in the NFL draft, but it doesn't really matter to me either way.

Have to put a goalkeeper on my bench. And that's gotta be Pepe Reina.

reinaDM_468x518.jpg

Prone to games like at Old Trafford once every year, but otherwise, top shot stopper. And you wouldn't dare ask to face him in a penalty kick situation.

my two make-up picks are:

Shay Given

i think in the last couple of years he been awesome.

Joe Cole

i think he would be a great person to put on in the last 10 mins if wanting something to happen.

my two make-up picks are:

Shay Given

i think in the last couple of years he been awesome.

Joe Cole

i think he would be a great person to put on in the last 10 mins if wanting something to happen.

He hasn't been the same since he ruptured his stomachs a few seasons ago, still an awesome shot stopper though! With any luck he'll stay at the Toon till he retires and becomes a goal keeper coach.

Well, since we're all stealing Ron's old picks, I'll grab Alessandro Nesta as my sub defender. And for a manager, the one and only, soft spoken lothario, Sven Goran Eriksson. As we're drafting a club and not a national team, he would have a clue what was going on.

Well, since we're all stealing Ron's old picks, I'll grab Alessandro Nesta as my sub defender. And for a manager, the one and only, soft spoken lothario, Sven Goran Eriksson. As we're drafting a club and not a national team, he would have a clue what was going on.

That's an interesting Manager choice, considering the selection that's still out there. To be fair, I thought his sacking at Man City was a bit odd considering how he turned them into an exciting team capable of pushing into Europe - compared to the Keegan and Pearce years.

We are in round 17 of 18 currently.

I'll make this simple:

Sixteen players required including 5 subs

One manager

One stadium

Picks left:

Sivy 1

King Cucaracha 1

TheFranchise 2

Deancoles 2

Huss 1

909 1

Gert T 2

MFerXtreme87 2

Mystery Eskimo 2

UndertakerHart 3

Chriswok 2

===

Because the draft has been messed up a little and the majority of 'great' players have gone already.. everybody might as well get their last pick or two picks in as soon as possible, everybody is eligible to pick right now.

Well, I'll take a player who I should have taken long ago:

celebmattletissier.jpg

Matt Le Tissier

I'm sure UK drafters won't need any reasons why, but if anyone hasn't seen him check YouTube for some of the best goals scored in modern times.

With my last player pick, I'll grab one of those guys that fell back into the pool.

1soccer-thierry-henry-with-arsenal.jpg

Thierry Henry

I finish with the following, 4-2-3-1 formation:

Peter Shilton

Cafu Bobby Moore Paul McGrath Paulo Maldini

Lothar Matthaus Graeme Souness

Ruud Gullit Dennis Bergkamp Gianfranco Zola

Jimmy Greaves

Bench:

Pat Jennings (GK)

Des Walker (CB)

John Charles (CB/CF)

Denis Law (CF)

Matt Le Tissier (AM/CF)

Manager: Brian Clough

Stadium: The Bernabeu

Quite pleased with how my team turned out. A very solid, classy defence protected by the discipline of Matthaus and, well, thuggery of Souness. The trio of Gullit, Bergkamp and Zola would keep any opposition defence busy and feed one of the most natural goal scorers to play for England in the shape of Greaves. It was tough chosing between him and Law for the poachers role, though, and Denis would make a great impact sub, as would Le Tissier on his day.

I reckon Cloughie would have been quite happy to lead this lot.

2008729104135653.jpg

My bench is obviously

GK: Reina

CB: Carragher

Midfielder: Robert Pires

Striker: Alfredo di Stefano

Striker: Hugo Sanchez

Manager: Fabio Capello

Ground: Anfield

I picked Capello to manage these guys for a few reasons. Number one, he's the best manager alive. Number two, he speaks multiple languages...always a plus when you have a group like this. Number three, quite a few of my players had their brush with Italian and Spanish football, so it only makes sense. Baresi and Stam will have to be rocks at the back, because this team is ridiculously attack minded. That's why I drafted Vieira, because he can drop into the backline when needed. I drafted Cruyff at the end, and it was basically take your pick in regards to my decision on where to play him.

For my coach I'll take a legendary Dutchman who won the European Cup with Ajax, La Liga with Barcelona and a few spells as Netherlands Coach most notably in 74 and 88.

Most known for "total football" but was one of the first managers to use the offside trap.

Rinus Michels

Walking out on a lovely, sunny Saturday in front of 80,000 screaming fans at their ground, Wembley Stadium..

Team Franchise kick off their first game of the season with the following line-up, handed to the referee by manager Bill Shankly:

1. Gianluigi Buffon

2. William Gallas

3. Ashley Cole

4. Norman Hunter

5. Steve Bruce

6. Claude Makelele

7. Jairzinho

8. Steven Gerrard

9. Wayne Rooney

10. Pele

11. Michael Owen

-----

Subs

-----

13. David Seaman

14. Roberto Carlos

15. Roy McFarland

12. Geoff Hurst

16. Duncan Edwards

footballdraft.jpg

After much deliberation, i've decided against a fancy formation, these players dont need any help, they will just go on the pitch and play football better than anybody else can. Buffon is usually as solid as they come, and put in front of him Bruce and Hunter, two rock hard centre-halfs who wont let a sniff get past them, and you're going to be keeping a lot of clean sheets.

In William Gallas and Ashley Cole, you've got two wing backs who will be bringing the ball into play and setting up attacking moves on the break.. which is why i've opted to select Claude Makelele and sacrifice an attacking player, so my centre-backs will have some extra support while the wing-backs go forward.

While Makelele is staying back, Gerrard and Jairzinho will drift out to each wing, taking defenders with them and really confusing them with their tricks and great crosses from each side, into the two strikers, Pele and Owen.

I've put Owen in ahead of Hurst for the sole reason of playing with Pele, Owen's pace and Pele's vision and tricks to find him, will be the ultimate strike force.

And if by some small fluke of a chance that the ball is cleared out of the area, there's Wayne Rooney waiting outside the box to slam the ball into the back of the net.

If things aren't working or I need a change, then Edwards and Hurst can come off the bench to add extra firepower in front of goal. If i'm needing to keep the lead, then I can bring McFarland on to play alongside Makelele in front of the defence and take off one of my strikers.

Carlos is there for the sole reason of being able to play anywhere down the whole of the left side and adds a lot of versatility, and can strike a sweet free kick.

Team Franchise

2010 Champions League Winners.

St. James' Park is my stadium and my last signing will be... in goal...

Neville Southall!

Yeah that's right, NEVILLE FUCKING SOUTHALL! Take that Goalkeepers around the world!

I'll do a team review and update tomorrow :)