TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Legends of WrestleMania

Info from E3 about the game (and this is actually from a "Members Only" news post at F4Wonline... I normally don't like violating that and C&Ping to message boards, but really, THIS is pay news?):

E3 2008 at the Los Angeles Convention Center-Los Angeles, California I am proud to say I was the first, and to this point possibly only journalist to see WWE Legends of WrestleMania. Therefore, this preview will be short to be first.

First the numbers. The game is going to be exclusive to the XBOX 360 and PS3. It has a firm release date of in the period right before WrestleMania XXV. The game is going to have a roster of around 40 Superstars. Anyone who is under a WWE Legends contract is eligible to be placed in the game. The game will feature 4 player online multi-player. Today they announced 1 venue, the Pontiac Silverdome. The developers are still in discussions about adding the cart thing that drove the wrestlers to the ring during WrestleMania III.

The game was playable today, just not for the press. The match was, of course, Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant with Bobby "the Brain" Heenan. Those were the only Superstars announced for the game, so far. However, there was the strong suggestion that Mr.Fuji may appear in the game. Managers are going to play a major role in this game, hearkening back to the old days when managers played a major role in matches. THQ was unable to comment at this time if Divas would be included in the game. They were unprepared to announce who would be calling these classic matches. They were unable to announce who the ring announcer would be, however it is a safe guess that Howard Finkel will get the call for that job.

There will be a create-a-legend mode, similar to the create-a-superstar mode in SmackDown! vs. Raw. However, it will be much more limited. Since it is a Legends game they are trying to keep it somewhat authentic to the times, which means not even the created legend will be able to break out the 630 splash. The older Superstar's move package has been beefed up, though. The designers felt Hogan and Andre needed more then 4 moves to have a match that would be enjoyable for players to recreate. The game will feature a classic arcade style game play. That means only the left analog stick and 4 face buttons will be used. The shoulder buttons, triggers, and right analog stick will serve as decoration for this game. Players will even have the option of using the D-pad and foregoing the left analog stick for an even more retro feel. The wrestlers have been made larger then life, as they are designed to have been remembered when players were children. In this game Andre is 10 feet tall and has the body of a Greek god. Hogan looks like the next Mr. Universe. There is still some tweaking with the graphics to be done, though. The giant yellow Hogan number 1 fingers the crowd was waving were bigger then 2 people in the crowd.

There is going to be a tour mode. There players can re-enact great matches from history and change the outcomes or add wacky stipulations. For example Hogan vs. Andre can now be in a cage and Andre would win. The most exciting feature of the game for me is that they announced real footage from the WWE vault will be used in the game. They were unable to announce how they are going to use the footage, but there are a lot of interesting possibilities open for them to explore. There was also talk of a possible special edition game featuring some of the matches that are recreated in the game. That is very speculative, though. Email me any questions you guys have. I will answer every one about this game or anything else I see at E3. My contact info is at the bottom.

I will be back probably tomorrow morning with an article on the UFC Undisputed 2009. Also, Derek Burgan the Corresponding Editor for number1contender.net has written up a great review of SNK Arcade Classics for the Wii which should be up later today.

Sincerely,

Jereme Warneck

number1contender.net

Boxing and Video Game Correspondent for f4wonline.com

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

My thoughts, bulleted to disguise the disjointedness:

- WM3 carts? Hell yes!

- I'm a bit iffy about overexaggerated physiques since I wasn't a bit fan of the LoW graphical presentation.

- Howard Finkel as ring announcer is a gimme. It's a shame Gorilla isn't around anymore and Heenan's voice has been ravaged by cancer because that would have been fun for nostalgia purposes.

- Anybody have a list of people under a WWE Legends contract? If I remember, Nikolai Volkoff and Kamala were among the names of people that had a Legends contract and hence could be put into a LoWM game, which doesn't really light my world on fire.

- WM3 carts? Hell yes!

- I'm a bit iffy about overexaggerated physiques since I wasn't a bit fan of the LoW graphical presentation.

- Howard Finkel as ring announcer is a gimme. It's a shame Gorilla isn't around anymore and Heenan's voice has been ravaged by cancer because that would have been fun for nostalgia purposes.

- Anybody have a list of people under a WWE Legends contract? If I remember, Nikolai Volkoff and Kamala were among the names of people that had a Legends contract and hence could be put into a LoWM game, which doesn't really light my world on fire.

According to wiki (source of all internet rumors) he can't talk at all anymore and is having reconstructive surgery on his jaw :(

Hope they don't go over the top LoW style presentation, Beefcake Bret Hart didn't do much for me.

The game will feature a classic arcade style game play. That means only the left analog stick and 4 face buttons will be used. The shoulder buttons, triggers, and right analog stick will serve as decoration for this game.

Ugh.

As for who's eligible, take a look at the WWE Classics figure line and you can probably figure out who's in, but I think a lot of those are separate deals with Jakks and wouldn't be allowed in this if WWE has their say. I know it said 'WWE Legends' contract anyway, but I believe Jakks is also highly involved in the process.

Personally I'm all for a new look to the wresters, even if it is similar to how LOW was. Getting kind of sick of the "so real we even scanned their sweat" models that the SVR series uses.

everyone in the Hall is fair game....

So is Tully, Arn, Windham, IRS, Melenko, Steamboat, Von Erichs, and Terry Funk

Jakks has signed figure contracts, but not legends contracts with Honky Tonk Man, Warrior, and maybe Savage

I wonder who we'll have as commentators. When we look at announcers from the 80's early 90's, there aren't many options availlable. What would rock if Vince would come back doing commentary only for this game, throw a huge amount of money at Jesse Ventura to reform the pairing and have him ridicule McMahon again.

The obvious choice would be Ross and Lawler, since they're now splitted they're eligible to be a legendary combo.

Yeah I'd think that Ventura and McMahon would be the only true 80's team they could possibly pull off. I wonder if Vince could channel his old unassuming good guy commentary personality for this... lol

- WM3 carts? Hell yes!

According to wiki (source of all internet rumors) he can't talk at all anymore and is having reconstructive surgery on his jaw :(

Hope they don't go over the top LoW style presentation, Beefcake Bret Hart didn't do much for me.

I heard he was getting the reconstructive jaw surgery to get his voice back, so who knows.

If Lord Alfred hadn't passed away I would suggest the dream team from Coliseum Video of Hayes and Mooney be an alternate selection in the game.

Seriously though I would mark for some sort of Mooney appearance.

ONE TWO AND.....

....NO.

IGN just had to pick the most questionable frame in the entire trailer for the preview image...

ignhoganwtf.jpg

I could understand because Foley just because he hasn't fully retired yet. Savage on the other hand, should be in the game.