TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Affliction: Day of Reckoning

I don't know how many people in this folder actually dislike boxing, just that they recognize MMA to be more exciting and thusly are drawn to it. Personally I can watch boxing but I need it to be really fucking good or it gets turned off.

But yeah, a co-promoted event likely would do well money-wise and there are still things for MMA promoters to learn.

This is probably a whole thread in and of itself, but why is there such a dislike for boxing from some of the MMA fans here? I enjoy both.

Becuase they don't understand the science of it, and they think it's boring because it's only one aspect of MMA.

I grew up watching boxing my whole life, trained boxing for nearly half my life, and I will never stop watching boxing. But when it comes down to it now, and if theres a huge boxing card and a huge MMA card on the same night, I would choose MMA.

All the clinching in a bad fight makes me turn it off immediately. I can't even watch it.

Thats pretty much like saying lay and praying makes a boxing fan turn off an MMA fight immediately. I don't know how many boxing matches you've watched, but not all of the fights are always clinching matches.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

^That's where I was going to go with this, but I'm not going for a BOXING IS BETTER. NO MMA IS BETTER. YOU'RE A GAY. NO YOU'RE A GAY. Type thread.

I'm happy watching two men beat the shit out of each other, no matter what the discipline is. A boring fight's a boring fight, and doesn't merit one discipline being better than another when "a shitty fight" is as universal as "a great fight."

I don't know the MMA equivalents of Hagler/Hearns or conversely...John Ruiz, but they're surely out there.

I used to love watching boxing before I got into MMA.

I don't argue that there are a lot of great fights out there but for one reason or another I just can't get in to it any more. I don't think I can offer a truly logical explanation but I can't find myself getting into it or wanting to tune in to the fights.

Outside of guys like Mayweather I really don't care to see boxing. It's just boring most of the time. I used to be able to name all top 10 heavyweights when I was a kid. Now I couldn't name 10 contenders...not just in a division, but total

To resurrect the earlier points.

Co-Promoted stuff historically doesn't really work. It's odd, but it just doesn't.

Pro-Wrestling and MMA mixed together on the same show doesn't work.

MMA and K-1 mixed together really doesn't work either.

There's an odd disconnect. Some of the fans will come to only see *one* side of the fights, and viceversa for the other. It probably has something to do with the rules of each "sport" as well.

So I don't think Boxing will work with MMA on the same card. K-1's closer to MMA then Boxing, and none of the K-1 shows with them have really been that great I don't think. Then again, K-1 before they grabbed the DSE crew had no fucking idea how to do MMA at all.

MMAWeekly is reporting that Babalu has been bumped off the card for unknown reasons and we will in fact see the originally planned fight between Vitor Belfort and Matt Lindland take place here.

Updated Main Card Info

Arlovski vs Fedor

Belfort vs Lindland

Horodecki vs Lauzon

Josh Barnett vs Gilbert Yvel

Hurricane vs Barnett is official.

Yvel by thumb to the eye/flying knee combo.

I personally wouldn't mind Andrei "Hey Tim Sylvia, how taste my pee-pee" Arlovski being considered the top heavyweight in the world.

As long as he keeps fighting like he's been fighting.

I like Arlovski and seeing the internet collectively shit itself if he KO'd Fedor wold be amusing but let's be real. Arlovski was getting grapple-raped by Big Country until he got gifted a standup. Fedor's gonna run a train on him.

I'm surprised Yvel got licensed considering some of his actions in the past, especially attacking that referee a few years ago. Still, he's usually entertaining to watch. I've been watching Yvel's loss to Igor Vovchanchyn at PRIDE 14 over and over again recently, so I look forward to seeing more of the same here, with a quick submission win for Barnett.

And add me to the list of people who would like to see Arlovksi take out Fedor. I don't think it'll happen, but if it does, it would make future negotiations with Dana more interesting.

People are still acting like Nelson was going to do shit against Arlovski on the mat? Yeah, Arlovski sucks off his back, but he survived against a much better grappler/fighter in Ricco mauling him for a good while until he finally succumbed. Nelson's bitch tits and fuckin' KEYLOCK attempts were going to end him? Pfffst. In the end, it was a shitty stand-up that simply hastened the inevitable end of the fight.

Also, I love Tito, but his voice gets even more high-pitched & hard to listen to when he's having to talk rapidly, and he can stutter a fair bit. That being said, his technical knowledge is good enough that he shouldn't embarrass himself.

That's the first thing I thought of myself. He stutters ALOT. He always seems well prepared with good notes but then he talks far too quickly and jumbles 35-40% of his words.

I hope he tones it down on the PPV.

I'll always take fighters over actual commentators like those retards who did the EXC shows. To me whatever little displays of unprofessionalism you see with fighters will never be as bad as the just plain idiocy of commentators who've never learned you actually have to know what you're talking about to sound intelligent.

So the winner of Barnett/Yvel is fighting the winner of Arlovski/Fedor.

Imagine Yvel upsets Barnett and then does something hilariously awful in his fight with Fedor like punch him in the nuts 7 consecutive times and then attack the ref. This might not be the smartest decision they've ever made.