TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CuddlyKnife

McCain: Instead of emergency room, go to Wal-Mart

As Ombudsman, I don't really have a problem with megathreads

An ombudsman (English plural: conventionally ombudsmen) is an official, usually (but not always) appointed by the government or by parliament, who is charged with representing the interests of the public by investigating and addressing complaints reported by individual citizens

Do your job!

What's wrong with mega threads? I like having one thread for all things campaign. I mean, what other threads would there be?

What's wrong with mega threads? I like having one thread for all things campaign. I mean, what other threads would there be?

It's 248 fucking pages! How in the hell do you navigate through something like that? Stuff about the economy and what not just gets buried in there amidst stupid youtube videos and posters arguing with one another over inane stuff. Maybe I'm just neurotic, but I don't care for threads that go more than a few pages. I lose interest in checking them.

Anyways, I may be the only poster that feels this way. I made it a poll in Site Feedback about it. Go vote.

There are Walgreens and CVS with medical clinics inside them? Really? All the ones I've been to are just miniature grocery stores attached to a pharmacy.

The clinics at Walgreens and CVS can't really deal with anything other than routine maintenance.

You're forgetting about essential medical care like physical exams to participate in high school sports.

It's 248 fucking pages! How in the hell do you navigate through something like that? Stuff about the economy and what not just gets buried in there amidst stupid youtube videos and posters arguing with one another over inane stuff. Maybe I'm just neurotic, but I don't care for threads that go more than a few pages. I lose interest in checking them.

Anyways, I may be the only poster that feels this way. I made it a poll in Site Feedback about it. Go vote.

I agree with you 100 percent.

MEGA-THREADS = less conversation, peroid.

The initial point that Emergency rooms are the most expensive form of healthcare available is 100% true. Most of the people who go to emergency rooms could be treated at these places for a much lower cost. All the talk about cheaper affordable healthcare and we're laughing at this like its crazy old man McCain who doesn't know what he's talking about. I assume he does mean Walgreens, but to be honest Id rather have Wal Mart doing this kinda stuff than the Government.

People don't go to emergency rooms for fun, Marvin, they go because they don't have health insurance.

How much does the Walmart doctor cost (the sheer idea is terrifying. Reminds me of the Pepsi School system...)

He's just making comparison. As in, there should be a Medical Facility that is to patients what Wal-Mart is to consumers - a place where you can get a need fulfilled at a reasonable cost. He's not saying put doctors into Wal-Mart. Am I the only one who got that?

We actually could have Wal-Mart medical, if we had the UHC that McCain opposes but has always had for himself.

The longest standing lobby against UHC is the medical workers unions/lobbies, because doctors are going to make MUCH less a year if UHC were ever enacted in this country. They've literally been battling it since the 40s or so. They'd be reduced to making as much as their foreign counterparts.

Considering how well some ERs work, you probably WOULD be better off just going to Walmart and bleeding to death in the candy aisle. At least then you can die with a bag of twizzlers instead of die reading an old Sports Illustrated while filling out the 29th form that no one bothers to read it seems.

We actually could have Wal-Mart medical, if we had the UHC that McCain opposes but has always had for himself.

The longest standing lobby against UHC is the medical workers unions/lobbies, because doctors are going to make MUCH less a year if UHC were ever enacted in this country. They've literally been battling it since the 40s or so. They'd be reduced to making as much as their foreign counterparts.

Which would probably lead to a shortage of doctors in a decade or so. The financial incentive to become a doctor is very strong, and taking that away would result in a lot of people jumping ship on the medical program.

Not the ones they were having me fill out. It was basically like a questionnaire of what was wrong, how long had it been happening and the like. The insurance ones were simple and pretty straight forward, these were hospital related crap to supposedly help the doctors and nurses better treat you. Then they just end up asking the same questions at the pre-entry section, then it's another long wait before FINALLY entering to see a nurse who once again ask the exact same shit followed by the doctor some 30 to hour later who once again asks the same questions. Honestly, even if the forms are all for insurance, the ER is probably the biggest waste of time if you are really sick and need medical attention.

Doesn't matter the time of day or night either, it's just really inefficient and overall bad.

What we really need is medical records available online.

And also for everyone to have medical records available online, thus input by a doctor thus having BEEN to a doctor recently thus EVERYONE needs medical insurance.

That's definitely not something I would like to have on the internet. That's just one thing that I'm willing to sacrifice expediency for; my privacy.

Hope they have one hellacious firewall. Cuz, having everyone's medical records in one place, yikes, hacker bonanza. Not to mention possible abuse via crooked doctors or anyone else who has access to it. It would be incredibly convenient and speed things up if you could make it secure, but that's a big if.

Fuck firewalls, they are about as effective as putting up a chain-link fence. Even the most advanced firewalls have serious holes.

That's definitely not something I would like to have on the internet. That's just one thing that I'm willing to sacrifice expediency for; my privacy.

Here, here.

As for the ER, they might be inefficient, but the one here at least is better than the InstaCare place that opened up in town about two years ago. When my appendix burst (I didn't feel any pain and thought it was food poisoning) and a co-worker took me to InstaCare instead of the ER I filled out the form, waited for about half an hour alone because my co-worker had to go back to work, and then the doctor comes in.

"Oh... you are much too sick for us to deal with, you have to go to the ER."

Like you couldn't have told me that when there was someone there to drive me to the ER? A half an hour before that? When there was nobody else in the clinic? (No cars in the lot at all, so she couldn't have been THAT busy)

They called an Ambulance that I had to pay 1000 bucks for to drive me freaking 15 minutes across town. Without any cool ass lights on or anything.

Screw you InstaCare. Screw you in the BUTT.

Also InstaCare is kinda what McCain is wanting, it's supposed to be a cheaper option than the ER, but they can't deal with much more than basic cold/flu symptoms. My uncle took my cousin there for a broken arm and they didn't even have the ability to reset his arm.

But then wouldn't they be unable to pay off medical school???

Subsidize it in exchange for them working for a period in areas that are identified as needing more doctors. This way you don't have that Canadian thing where everybody flies to Vancouver/Montreal/Toronto and the midwest is largely without service.

Which would probably lead to a shortage of doctors in a decade or so. The financial incentive to become a doctor is very strong, and taking that away would result in a lot of people jumping ship on the medical program.

Not true, really. The rest of the world already experiences a "brain drain" because all the talent goes to the US for the big bucks. With Universal insurance the US' pay would fall to in line with the rest of the English speaking world.

So, yes, the absolute best of the best doctors would reduce in number as they are spread out around the world; but unless you personally use the Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins, it's not like you're getting face time with our country's best doctors anyway. And if you did use those two hospitals, you can probably afford to fly out to the doctor of your choosing.