TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Notorious BIG biopic

JAxl, knock it off. This is borderline trolling.

I saw the trailer for this last night on TV and I thought it looked pretty damn interesting, which is curious since I wouldn't normally find a movie like this interesting. I'm probably going to check it out.

Disagreeing with someone's opinion and pointing out how boring this flick will be is not trolling.

I was worried about this film when I read that Puff Daddy was on as a producer for this, but since then it has been getting great reviews, and many are calling it the best biopic of an artist yet.

You know what is an extremely overlooked biopic? Hendrix... It's was a TV movie from back in 2000.

Wood Harris (Avon Barksdale from the Wire) did an amazing job as Hendrix, one of his best performances and it was on par with Jamie Foxx as Ray, and Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash IMO.

Also can't forget about Bird... Forest Whitaker did amazing as Charlie Parker(on par with the performances I mentioned), and Clint Eastwoods directing was great as usual.

Does the Joe Strummer movie that came out last year fit this category? If so, that's my pick for best one yet. Followed by Control, and Ray. I still haven't got around to watch I'm Not There.

I thought I'm Not There was really poor. Control is much better, imo.

I like them both, though I tend to switch on which one I liked better. Hated "The Doors", though that most likely has to do with my hatred of Jim Morrison.

Let me get this straight, Christopher Wallace is playing a young Biggie from the ages of 8-13. Is he of relation to Notorious BIG? Too bad they couldn't get the kid from the Sky is the Limit video. He looked just like biggie.

True that. But that kid's probably well into his 20's by now.

Let me get this straight, Christopher Wallace is playing a young Biggie from the ages of 8-13. Is he of relation to Notorious BIG? Too bad they couldn't get the kid from the Sky is the Limit video. He looked just like biggie.

True that. But that kid's probably well into his 20's by now.

He would have been perfect to play Biggie in his older years. Kid from the video is probably in his early 20's now and Biggie was almost 25 when he died.

Ray really isn't that good.

Walk The Line is fantastic.

Come on Barron, they're the same movie. One with black people, one with white.

They're both basically VH1 biopics with bigger budgets. Not to say that's a bad thing since I'm always entertained by those damn things.

Well, I just got back from seeing this. Surprisingly, the theater I went to, which is usually not very busy, was pretty full (75%) for this movie. A lot of punks and wanksters, but that was to be expected - we're not seeing Benjamin Button here. Regardless, the movie was pretty good. Although it comes off more as a HBO-type movie than a big-screen feature. Jamal Woolard did a fantastic job as Biggie, but the rest of the cast is questionable at best. There's also a few gaps in the story and would tend to leave a lot of questions unanswered for people who don't know the full history of the tale. But overall, the story, the music and overall intention of the movie makes me give it a thumbs up. Not too high, but up nonetheless.

Ray really isn't that good.

Walk The Line is fantastic.

Come on Barron, they're the same movie. One with black people, one with white.

They're both basically VH1 biopics with bigger budgets. Not to say that's a bad thing since I'm always entertained by those damn things.

I disagree completely. Ray was a complete whitewash of his life acting like Ray Charles was this great man who happened to have a drug problem. It totally ignores the fact that he divorces Kerry Washington two years after the movie ends.

I felt Walk the Line was more authentic in its portrayal of Cash. It wasn't afraid to show him as an asshole whose drug use nearly ruined his life.