TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Post in this thread if you have never stood in shin-deep snow

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Inspired by Brujo's comment.

I mean, I know there are people in the world who have never been around this shit, but...wow.

Most I've ever been around was last Christmas in Missouri, but it was only ankle-deep. Other than that, I've never experienced more than a light dusting of the ground.

We're lucky if we get flurries once a year around these parts. Even at the first sign of a snow flurry, most of the schools and businesses around here will shut down, because we're unprepared or some shit. The deepest snow i've ever been in probably barely covered the soles of my shoes. We usually just get that bullshit freezing rain instead of actual snow.

Guest Vitamin X

Born in Miami, grew up in Southern California, moved back to Miami, have lived in Portland a little over 2 years now. I have experienced a grand total of 2 snow days in places I've lived, one of which included the shin-deep variety which you just mentioned. Also, the city of Portland was so ridiculously underprepared for that day of snow that the entire city SHUT DOWN. That's right- it snowed once and people were completely unable to figure out how to drive-

and everyone got a couple free days off of work and school. I remember waking up that day and looking out my window and there was this huge snowball fight at my school.

The only times when I have seen a significant amount of snow continuously where when I was a kid and my folks would drive up to the Sierra Nevada mountains to go skiing/snowboarding. But as for places I've lived? I guess I'm pretty lucky in never having had to do the dreaded snow shoveling ritual.

Guest Vitamin X

I'm excited! We're supposed to be getting anywhere from 2-4 inches, even higher if you live in higher elevation area (which I sort of do)!

Shin deep? I walked out of work after a 4 hour shift and I was shin-deep in 4 hours. I think the deepest I've actually physically stood in (as a teen, childhood the shit was over my head most of the time) was up to my nipples when I was 14 and I went snow camping and tripped on my snowshoes and felldown in a bank. I had to work my snow shoes off, "swim" to a tree and climb the tree while my friend's dad reattached the shoes to my feet. Fun stuff.

It snowed last wednesday in Houston and people were so fucking excited. The stuff was enough to white top off vehicles, mailboxes, roofs, etc. but footheel height was about what it piled up to.

So you guys living in places with the deep snow, how's that work out for ya?

Guest Czecherbear

All of my snow melted this week, save for the drivewayside ramparts of snow which were so awesome for snowball fight trench warfare as a kid, and a few spots here and there. It was up to 45 and rainy, then went back down to 15, so everything is really cold and brown. The fuckin' worst.

Guest Vitamin X
All of my snow melted this week, save for the drivewayside ramparts of snow which were so awesome for snowball fight trench warfare as a kid, and a few spots here and there. It was up to 45 and rainy, then went back down to 15, so everything is really cold and brown. The fuckin' worst.

That's how it is all the time here in Oregon during the winter.. which is why I've heard people from out there say the winters out here are sometimes worse than they are back where they came from.

This week, it's actually staying fairly steady.. all the snow that fell Sunday and earlier Monday morning is still there since the temps are in the 20s and below... more snow on Wednesday! This is good news because since not a whole lot of it fell, there's fuckin' ice EVERYWHERE and it's pretty damn hard to get around town unless I had ice skates, and even then.

It snowed last wednesday in Houston and people were so fucking excited. The stuff was enough to white top off vehicles, mailboxes, roofs, etc. but footheel height was about what it piled up to.

Yeah it was only about the 3rd or 4th time I can remember it snowing like that, and I've lived in Houston my entire life.

I once went to Washington D.C. after snow had fallen, but it was ankle deep at best.

Guest Vitamin X

The 4 inches of snow most of the Portland metropolitan area necessitated a damn near shutdown of the city, particularly the schools and whatnot. A whole lot of local businesses were "closed due to inclement weather", but to be fair, the roads and sidewalks are icy as FUCK. I slipped like twice on the sidewalk during my 15 minute walk to work this morning. I can't imagine how it would be like driving right now, even with the snow chains.

The 4 inches of snow most of the Portland metropolitan area necessitated a damn near shutdown of the city, particularly the schools and whatnot. A whole lot of local businesses were "closed due to inclement weather", but to be fair, the roads and sidewalks are icy as FUCK. I slipped like twice on the sidewalk during my 15 minute walk to work this morning. I can't imagine how it would be like driving right now, even with the snow chains.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Granted, I have four-wheel drive, but I have hard time seeing why people must drive 5 fucking miles an hour down major arterials. The Public Works department has been good about throwing down gravel and most major streets have enough traffic to prevent any sort of major ice build-up. It boggles my mind that people drive like we're in the middle of a white-out blizzard. I can see the pavement, fer chrissakes!

This past weekend's snow event wasn't especially noteworthy, as my little corner of the world topped off at about 1 1/2 inches. My brother-in-law, who had spent his entire life in Florida prior to moving here, was a lot more enthused by the whole thing than I; he insisted on doing all of the snow-related things children generally do after much more significant snow events, like building snowmen, having snowball fights, making angels, etc. I was sort of embarrassed for the guy. We're supposed to get more tonight/tomorrow/Thursday, and then some more on Sunday. I'm told that this is unusual for this part of the country.

Guest Vitamin X
It's not as bad as people make it out to be. Granted, I have four-wheel drive, but I have hard time seeing why people must drive 5 fucking miles an hour down major arterials. The Public Works department has been good about throwing down gravel and most major streets have enough traffic to prevent any sort of major ice build-up. It boggles my mind that people drive like we're in the middle of a white-out blizzard. I can see the pavement, fer chrissakes!

Yeah I was out and about yesterday on my way to the Blazer game and back and some of the sidewalks were pretty icy, but other than that, not all that bad. It just depends on where you are, I guess.. My little piece of town has been pretty darn neglected, which is why I slipped all over the damn place yesterday and had to take baby steps around my apartment, but large parts of downtown were okay. I saw some hapless chick in a Dodge Neon that could NOT get her car to move out of the Rose Garden parking, and that's when I noticed that neither she nor of the cars I saw behind her had any snow chains, which was fairly ridiculous.

I'm told that this is unusual for this part of the country.

Might be different up there in Seattle, but we do have a couple snow days a year, it's just unusual that it's this much for this long.

The cool thing about it though, is that it's not enough snow like in other parts of the country where you have to shovel driveways and do much other than throw some rock salt down, however the bad part is it's a lot more icy and we're still getting a lot of freezing rain too. As a result, we are still getting a lot of days off work/school.