TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The OAO NHL 2003-2004 Season Thread

OK, I got tired of there being a thread to talk about every sport under the sun, in and out of season, except hockey, and I know there are enough hockey fans to support it. So here it is. Discuss.

I'll start by saying I may be watching Mark Messier's last game ever. He just took a pretty bad knee-on-knee hit with the freaking LINESMAN, of all people.

I have a pet theory...they're not playing with the desperation they had last year, when the team went bankrupt and they were playing, basically, to keep the team in Ottawa. No coincidence, then, that they slacked off in the conference final last year when Melnyk was announced as owner.

Hopefully the Philly win was a sign of greater things to come. It's so funny, though, that whenever the Sens win a game, the Ottawa dailies proclaim the slump over...then they lose another two or three.

Oh, and Messier was reported as only having a charley horse. *whew*

You want Messier to stay? :huh:

I've been a Messier fan since I first started watching hockey, back when he was breaking in with the Oilers in the early 80s. I certainly don't want him to leave because of such a stupid thing as that.

You want Messier to stay?  :huh:

I've been a Messier fan since I first started watching hockey, back when he was breaking in with the Oilers in the early 80s. I certainly don't want him to leave because of such a stupid thing as that.

oh, ok

I respect what he's done, but I'd hate for his legacy to go with this Rangers team. I'm having a hard time blocking out all of this stuff now, and am trying to remember him for what I remember him for:

Messier_StanleyCup_action.jpg

is what I remember Messier for. I was 10. I have that image of him just hysterically laughing as bettman hands him the Cup forever engrained in my memory. Now? I just think of him as a slow skating hasbeen.

It's sad really.

Looks like it is. He might have been working for the league at the time.

See, that picture is why Mess never worked out here in Vancouver. He beat us for the cup, and then ran the beloved captain (Trevor Linden) out of town. Plus the Canucks lost a lot while he was here. Punk.

Fuck ottawa needs to get their shit together and win the cup this year like i've been telling my fellow wings fans. I mean they aren't playing that shitty , its just that for some reason the east is really good this year

I knew this was coming, but still...wow.

ESPN.com news services

The Detroit Red Wings placed goaltender Curtis Joseph on waivers on Wednesday. Should he clear, the Red Wings will have the option of sending him to the minors.

Joseph went unclaimed in the Oct. 3 waiver draft with no other team willing to take on his $8 million salary. Joseph also had yet to play a game after undergoing offseason ankle surgery.

Since then, he's played in five games for the Wings, posting a .885 save percentage with a 2-3 record.

If a team claims Joseph by noon ET Thursday, it will assume the remaining portion of his two-year, $16-million contract. If the rest of the NHL passes on him, the Red Wings will continue to have a messy situation in goal, and may send Joseph to the minors.

Joseph signed with Detroit before the 2002-03 season to improve his chances of winning his first Stanley Cup after playing 13 seasons with St. Louis, Edmonton and Toronto.

He had a 2.08 goals-against average in the first round of the playoffs as the Red Wings were eliminated by Anaheim. That followed an inconsistent regular season in which he won 15 of his last 19 regular-season games to finish 34-19-6.

After Dominik Hasek ended his one-year retirement in July, Detroit has tried several times to get rid of Joseph.

The Red Wings have played this season with Hasek, Joseph and Manny Legace, one of the league's top backup goalies, on the roster.

I think the Wings are going to end up regretting dropping Joseph (if they ever do), since I don't know if Hasek's wonky groin will be able to hold up for the rest of the season. Not that Legace's not a good goalie if Hasek is lost for any period of time, but I'd rather have CuJo as my starter.

I'm surprised Detroit doesn't try to unload him to someone for a defenseman to fill the Hatcher void for the time being.

Dallas learned when Manny Malhotra was taken by Columbus.

Fleury willing to accept demotion

The agent for goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury says he would accept being sent back to junior hockey, if that is what the Pittsburgh Penguins decide.

However, Allan Walsh says Fleury will not restructure his contract in order to improve his chances of staying in the NHL.

It has been speculated that the Penguins would demote Fleury in order to avoid paying him certain bonuses and that Fleury would consider deferring some the money owed to him this season.

"It is entirely the Penguins' prerogative and within their rights under the CBA to send him back to junior," Walsh tells the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "If he goes back, he'll play with the same kind of zeal he had last year in junior and the same kind of zeal he has shown so far in Pittsburgh."

While Penguins general manager Craig Patrick says they have not asked Fleury to restructure his deal, Walsh points out that there is a clause in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement which prohibits reopening contracts of entry-level players.

"There has been absolutely no discussion with regards to Marc-Andre and his bonus money," Walsh said.

The Penguins, who say they expect to lose $5-million this season, will have to pay Fleury $3-million if he reaches 25 appearances this season. He has made 13 appearances so far but it's possible they could spread out his remaining appearances to try and keep him under the limit. 

The Penguins could elect to loan Fleury out to Team Canada for the upcoming World Junior Championships rather than send him back to junior. That would allow Fleury to return to Pittsburgh following the tournament in the new year. If he goes back to his junior team in Cape Breton, he would only be allowed to return on an emergency basis.

Penguins president Ken Sawyer admitted that money will play a part in the final decision on Fleury.

It's a dilly of a pickle for the Penguins, as Fleury is the franchise goalie that they need, but they can't afford him; while Sebastien Caron (the back-up) currently has a 3.6 with a .888. Sucks to be the Penguins.

I just hope he plays in the World Junior Championships. But the Penguins should just keep him in the NHL, anyway. They're fucked just as bad with him in the lineup as they are if they don't have to pay him.

According to Bob McKenzie at intermission of Senators game, he said Peca would like to leave LI as much as the Isles would like to trade him. He said Sens are likely team and that Bonk for Peca is what he is hearing. Could happen after Rags game.

I would not at all mind this. Both teams are struggling and Bonk would be a good fit on the Islanders. Peca has worn out his welcome and now he is getting the Mike Must go Chants. He only has 2 goals in his last 48 games counting playoffs and one fo them was a EN. In Bonk, the Isles would finally get the linemate Yashin needs. They woudl be reunited and it would fit very well. We can give the C to Scatchard.

According to Bob McKenzie at intermission of Senators game, he said Peca would like to leave LI as much as the Isles would like to trade him. He said Sens are likely team and that Bonk for Peca is what he is hearing. Could happen after Rags game.

I would not at all mind this. Both teams are struggling and Bonk would be a good fit on the Islanders. Peca has worn out his welcome and now he is getting the Mike Must go Chants. He only has 2 goals in his last 48 games counting playoffs and one fo them was a EN. In Bonk, the Isles would finally get the linemate Yashin needs. They woudl be reunited and it would fit very well. We can give the C to Scatchard.

OH MY GOD this has to happen. Peca would be an amazing third line centre...maybe more if being around such a great offense gets him going.

4-0 Senators late...Prusek looks headed for his first NHL shutout.

Well the Ducks got owned today. Maybe, we could get some defensemen or have the refs make the right calls. I heard Federov was bleeding, what is up with that? Plus, Nashville Predators are in the playoffs so far. This is a bad start for the Ducks.

Ducks aren't sticking to their system. They need to stay with a patient trap and wait for chances. They try to force things, and get burned.

Patience, patience, patience.

I think the Wings are going to end up regretting dropping Joseph (if they ever do), since I don't know if Hasek's wonky groin will be able to hold up for the rest of the season. Not that Legace's not a good goalie if Hasek is lost for any period of time, but I'd rather have CuJo as my starter.

Legace was ready last year. He's the Steve Young of hockey.

I think the Wings are going to end up regretting dropping Joseph (if they ever do), since I don't know if Hasek's wonky groin will be able to hold up for the rest of the season.  Not that Legace's not a good goalie if Hasek is lost for any period of time, but I'd rather have CuJo as my starter.

To my knowledge, I don't think Legace has any concussions yet

I think the Wings are going to end up regretting dropping Joseph (if they ever do), since I don't know if Hasek's wonky groin will be able to hold up for the rest of the season.  Not that Legace's not a good goalie if Hasek is lost for any period of time, but I'd rather have CuJo as my starter.

To my knowledge, I don't think Legace has any concussions yet

True, but Young never got any concussions when he was Montana's backup...