TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MARTYEWR

Interview with HHH

Credit to the pop-up city wrestling website. Please don't bother clicking it...

HHH TAKES AIM AT INTERNET WRESTLING WRITERS, WHY BOOKER AND RVD DIDN'T GET A PUSH, WHY BRET HART WAS WRONG IN MONTREAL AND MORE

by Anthony Greff @ 1:05:00 PM on 1/29/2005

Anthony Greff: You began bodybuilding at age 14, why exactly did you get involved in it?

HHH: It wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision to start bodybuilding. I was always impressed by the larger then life physics of wrestlers and bodybuilders and thing like that. The first time I went into a gym there were these huge larger then life guys that I was just in awe of and I wanted to look like them, I wanted to be the guy that was larger than life. I knew going to the gym would get me there and when I started lifting weights, the “iron bug” caught me and I realized the harder I pushed myself the better benefit I would receive. It was a cause and effect thing and it thrilled me.

AG: You were accepted pretty easily into this group of body builders too, weren’t you?

HHH: I don’t believe it had anything to do with who I was, but the fact that they saw this skinny young kid, who just wouldn’t stop. I think they came to respect that fact about it.

AG: At age 19 you went on to win the title of Mr. Teenage New Hampshire. Did you win any other titles or compete any more outside of this?

HHH: I never actually competed outside of the teenage realm. I was very tall and needed time to fill out before I went into the men’s division, so I held off on competing any more. I was still training heavily, but around that time I started getting involved in pro wrestling and that took off.

AG: You also went on to manage a health club?

HHH: Ya, I started working at health clubs when I was 16 and then I got good at that and was went on to manage heath clubs and consult for another one at that time.

AG: Are there any future plans to open up a heath club chain under the WWE umbrella?

HHH: The hardest thing with that is that you would have to be there to run it. It’s kind of a hands on thing and when you’re on the road 200 days a year, it’s not really conducive to a hands on business.

AG: Moving back to your book once more, do you have any real expectations for it?

HHH: If one guy out there reads this book and makes something of his life because my book inspired him, then it was a success. As far as all the stuff about the New York Times Best Sellers list and all that, I’m not worried. It would be great if it did though. I’m on a the self help list with Dr. Phil, who sells like 70,000 books a day, so it’s somewhat hard to do. The reason this book came about was due to Simon and Schuster wanting me to write a biography, to which I said no. I felt that it’s too early in my life and my career for that, it’s something you do in the end. They then moved on to wanting me to write a book about anything, so I asked them about writing a work out book, for all those kids that come up and ask me, what I do when I go to the gym and the process of getting in shape. I feel if I didn’t walk into that gym and I didn’t start body building at 14 years of age, then I wouldn’t be where I am today. The discipline and everything that I’ve learned in the gym are what allowed me to be successful in what I do.

AG: In the new movie “Blade 3” you handled all of your own fight scenes. Was there any worry that an injury would cause problems with your pro wrestling career?

HHH: Not really! To be quite honest, doing a fight scene in a movie is quite easier then doing it in the ring, if you know what I mean. In the ring there is no room for error or a second chance at things and things are a lot more real. In movies things are carefully scripted and it’s a very same environment. You may hear about movie stars hurting themselves, but they don’t do anything the rest of the time.

AG: There is also word going around that you may get the role of “Conan” in the new “King Conan” movie. Do you know anything about this subject, right now?

HHH: John Milius is currently writing the script for “King Conan” although it’s a project that’s been in the works for quite a few years. It’s like one of those big Hollywood projects that keeps floating around and everybody wants to make it, but nobody’s pulled the trigger yet. John has been slated to write it and John has talked to me about doing it, so time will tell. Until I was on the set the very first day shooting it, then it’s all just talk.

AG: Your name is also on the credits for a new movie “Jornada Del Muerte.” What can you tell me about this?

HHH: That was another project that was written by John Milius, when I first met with him about doing “King Conan.” He was really intrigued by what I do and who I am, so he told me he wanted me to do “King Conan” but he that he also wanted to do something for me in the meantime. It’s a revenge movie about brutal madman who just happens to be on the right side for a change. It’s kind of like “Man of Fire” on wheels.

AG: So, it kind of like the “Triple H” character then?

HHH: In a way it is. The character is totally different, but there are some things that fans just come to expect from us in an action movie like that. Right now the anti-hero is a big thing, so that’s kind of where we are with that right now.

AG: When you started to wrestle as the character “Triple H” were you ever hesitant that it wouldn’t work out?

HHH: Obviously at the time I got into the business I want to be a star. I watched Ric Flair growing up and he was “the best” so that’s what I wanted to be. I don’t know if a blue-blood character would have been my first selection, but I didn’t dislike the role and I didn’t dislike the character. I enjoyed doing it. Did I ever think that I would get to where I am now? I don’t think you can ever envision that. At the time I just wanted to be the best wrestler that I could be. I left WCW to come to Vince McMahon’s company for just an opportunity, no guarantee no nothing. I just wanted to be a great wrestler. To get to where it is now, going on Conan O’Brian and Howard Stern, while making good money is such a thrill to me right now. Especially since this is something that I would do for free. I just love doing it.

AG: On the subject of gimmicks, do you ever see the “Terra Rising” character coming back?

HHH: (laughs) I would highly doubt it. It’s funny that a lot of people mention that to me and that they can actually remember that because it was such a small gimmick. I did it WCW for such a short period of time and prior to that it was just in the independents. I’m shocked a lot of times that people even remember what that is.

AG: After you were on the rise so to speak, rumors started to come out that you were getting held back due to the “one night embrace” with fellow “Kliq” members Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash. Now here it is over eight years later and people are saying you are the one holding people back. What do you make of this?

HHH: First off the internet can only bash the top guys. I’m the perfect scapegoat for them; I’m married to the boss’s daughter, which makes me the bad guy. If you had to work with a guy that is married to the boss’s daughter and he was above you, then you would begin to say that he’s only there because he is in fact with the boss’s daughter. Here’s the thing when it comes to the internet, I didn’t believe it when they said I was the “greatest” wrestler in the world and I don’t believe it when they say that I’m the “worst.” I go out every night, enjoy what I do and try to have the best match that I possibly can. I try to do my job, to the best of my ability and if that means I’m a heel, then my job is to make people hate me as much as I can. I do the best that I can. If that means I’m the top guy, then I’m the top guy. If that means that I’m not the top guy, then I’m not the top guy. It kills me to say that I held people down this year; I tapped out and make Chris Benoit champ last year for most of the year. I think if you ask any of the guys in the business, instead of the twelve-year-old kids that are writing stuff on the internet, you will find out that nobody believes that. The internet is all guys that want to be in our business but aren’t. They never have been, never will be, don’t know anybody who is and even if they did, it’s somebody that is either bitter or doesn’t really have an inside track on it anyway.

AG: Was there every any tension between you and the guys since you’re in such a high position with the company? For example you worked with both Dave Batista and Randy Orton who were still relatively wet behind the ears.

HHH: No, I think if anything, one of the first things that I explained to Randy and Dave when we first did this was that the Evolution thing was that they were going to get a lot of heat from the other guys over this because all of the sudden, your going to get put in a top spot, with top guys and nobody is going to like that. You have to understand that the Evolution gimmick was a shoot. I went to Vince and told him that I didn’t think we were using Ric Flair to the best of his ability; I would like to take him with me and then find two or three new young guys that we think have the potential and the future and just groom them. Give them the rub from both myself and Flair from our positioning and try to teach them and to make them stars. Ric and I looked at everyone and Randy and Dave were the ones that we selected and felt that had that ability.

AG: On the subject of stars, why do you think a couple of guys by the names of “RVD” and Booker T haven’t made it to that top level?

HHH: You would have to have Booker T and Rob Van Dam answer that.

AG: You don’t have a point of view on the situation then?

HHH: Here’s the thing, nobody is this business, Vince McMahon included, makes stars in this business, except the stars themselves. Booker T is not a top guy or Rob Van Dam is not a top guy is because they’re missing the piece of the puzzle that allows fans and I’m talking the massive fans, to connect with them. “Stone Cold” was hugely popular before the office ever got behind him. “Rock” made himself what he is and then the office pushed him. It’s the same thing with me and the same thing with a lot of guys. That’s the way it works and anybody that says this guy holds me down or the office doesn’t push me or anything, need to look into the mirror and say that’s is all on me.

AG: Looking back at the “Montreal Screw job,” do you believe that the right decision was made?

HHH: Definitely! Our business is what it is, sports entertainment. If a movie producer tells Mel Gibson that at the end of the movie you’re going to die, he doesn’t go back and say, “I’m a big star in North America, so I’m not going to die.” Bret Hart said, “I’m a hero in Canada, I can’t lose this belt and I’m leaving by the way tomorrow or whatever it is to go work for another company. Therefore you’ll just have to take my word for it, that I’ll get the belt back to you.” That couldn’t happen. If I came up tomorrow and said you know what, I’m a big star in the United States, I’m a hero in the United States, so I’m not losing anymore in the United States, do you think that would be ok? The same is the case for what Bret Hart was doing. What I get it that it’s real in Canada and not real in the United States? To me, the evil party in that was Bret Hart. He didn’t want to do business and yet he’s “gloried’ because of that. Vince McMahon owns a company where we tell the stories that he’s wanting to tell and Bret refused to tell the story, so Vince made it happen.

AG: Ric Flair has gone on record in his autobiography calling Mick Foley a “glorified stuntman.” What is your take on this whole situation, since you’ve had some entertaining matches with Mick?

HHH: I agree with the statement. I don’t believe that people read it the way that Ric wrote it, he puts Mick over. Mick Foley was a big star, which he is, but is Mick Foley Lou Thesz? No! Is Mick Foley a great wrestler? No! Let’s separate that out now. Lou Thesz was a great wrestler. Now what is Mick Foley famous for? Not his ability to work a hold for an hour or grab a top wristlock and do incredible wrestling moves or anything like that. He is famous for falling off the top of a cage, and he’s even more famous for barbed wire, thumbtacks and more stuff like that. What Ric was saying was basically the truth. Was Mick a great star? Yes! Did Mick draw a lot of fans to a lot of arenas? Yes! Was he a huge factor in the popularity of our business at a large time in the business, when business was white hot? Ya! I made a lot of money with Mick Foley, I will be the first one to sing his praises, but I do agree with what was said. Mick Foley is not a great wrestler, but he was great at what he did. To me I don’t see why Mick does take that as an insult, if he even does. It’s like saying Dennis Rodman wasn’t a great basketball player, but he could rebound a ball like nothing. There isn’t a lot of difference there. Ric put him over, but he said the truth about why he was over.

AG: How did you get the nickname “The Game”?

HHH: It came from an interview that I did with Jim Ross, when I was chasing “Stone Cold” and his title for the very first time. I was basically saying that I was tired of being overlooked and hearing announcers saying that in order to be successful in this business, you have to be a student of the game. I actually said “F” that J.R., “I am the game.” Then the next week when I came out on television, there were a lot of signs saying that Triple was “the game.” Then I continued to use it in interviews to where it caught on with the announcers and the fans.

AG: How involved are you in creating your own merchandise?

HHH: We all have input in that. They for instance ask if you’re going to be saying certain things or doing certain things, but I tend to not use catch phrases, so it ticks them off. It’s hard to stay a heel this long in the business, if you use a lot of catch phrases. If I have a lot of catch phrases, people start repeating them and it gets out of hand. There are things that I would say, if I wanted to say them all of the time, but they would become catch phrases and become popular and so on. Then you’re going against what your trying to, if you know what I mean. It doesn’t sell as much merchandise unfortunately, but that’s part of the deal.

AG: Where does the “Triple H” character end and your own personality kick in?

HHH: “Triple H” to me, is my own personality with the volume turned up. That’s the way Austin was, and to a degree I think that’s the way “The Rock” was. The best guys out there are the ones who actually feel what they do out there, unless you’re a character like George “The Animal” Steele or something. If you’re going out there pretending to be a wrestler, then you’re not going to be successful. People can see through that.

AG: Are you usually still in character right after you walk out of the building or has your real personality already kicked in by then?

HHH: It just depends on the scenario and the situation. There are times when a big group of people is around; I will very much stay in resemblance to the character. There was a time when I did it all the time, to continue the heat that I was already receiving. Now it’s a bit different, especially since I may be promoting a movie or a book. People will tend to see outside of the character that I portray on TV. People may see me doing an interview on Access Hollywood where I’m a nice guy, so I had to change that. It’s like that Eminem song “I am what you say I am.” If you want to treat me nice, then I’m a nice guy, but if you are rude about it, then I’m not going to be a nice guy and I won’t have any regrets about it.

AG: What is your official title with the company?

HHH: Wrestler!

AG: You don’t have an outside business title then?

HHH: I’m an independent contractor, just like every other single wrestler that we have under contact. It’s my only job with the company. All the extra business related tasks that I do, whether that is attending creative meetings or production meetings, its just extra. I’m not required to do any of that. I don’t get paid to do it. I do it because I care about the business. One of the things that people don’t understand is that Vince and I have had a creative relationship together, where Vince respected my opinion, for whatever reasons, as far back as the days of Shawn and me teaming together in “DX.” I was in on conference calls then to determine creative. In actuality it was before we did the “DX” gimmick. Half the time I’m in on these calls, it’s not about me. I’m in there talking about storylines, creative and other things for these other people. I don’t have to do any of it.

AG: There has been speculation that by the time your career is over, you will have tied Ric Flair for the world titles wins with 16. What do you think of this?

HHH: Ya if I’m a penis I’ve gotta go 17, right? If you’re going to believe the internet fans, then I’ve gotta go for 17. I’ve gotta beat Flair.

AG: If you’re going to do 17, why not do 18 or 19?

HHH: Well it’s just going to depend how old and beat up I get.

AG: I take it you’re not going to be pushing 55 and still doing the cage matches then?

HHH: I’m sure if you would have asked Ric Flair twenty years ago, if he would be out there at age 55, he would have told you no, but he’s still doing it. I have no intent on being in the ring at 55 years of age. Do I have intent on still being heavily involved in the business? Yes! This is a business that I’ll still be in for the rest of my life.

Guest eBayBrison

Hmmm.... That was an interview from HHHonk that didn't TOTALLY annoy me. Some things in there I personally feel that he had a point on, like the Bret Hart situation, but that's neither here nor there.

Brison

Guest wrestling365

HHH: First off the internet can only bash the top guys. I’m the perfect scapegoat for them; I’m married to the boss’s daughter, which makes me the bad guy. If you had to work with a guy that is married to the boss’s daughter and he was above you, then you would begin to say that he’s only there because he is in fact with the boss’s daughter. Here’s the thing when it comes to the internet, I didn’t believe it when they said I was the “greatest” wrestler in the world and I don’t believe it when they say that I’m the “worst.” I go out every night, enjoy what I do and try to have the best match that I possibly can. I try to do my job, to the best of my ability and if that means I’m a heel, then my job is to make people hate me as much as I can. I do the best that I can. If that means I’m the top guy, then I’m the top guy. If that means that I’m not the top guy, then I’m not the top guy. It kills me to say that I held people down this year; I tapped out and make Chris Benoit champ last year for most of the year. I think if you ask any of the guys in the business, instead of the twelve-year-old kids that are writing stuff on the internet, you will find out that nobody believes that. The internet is all guys that want to be in our business but aren’t. They never have been, never will be, don’t know anybody who is and even if they did, it’s somebody that is either bitter or doesn’t really have an inside track on it anyway.

Once again Triple H groups everyone under the same radar... :throwup:

Guest Loss

I find it interesting how HHH always talks about how he doesn't think about the criticism he gets all that much, yet he goes out of his way to bash his critics in every single interview he does. It obviously bothers him. He gave a nice non-answer on wanting to break Flair's record for number of World titles held, and for all of RVD's weaknesses, suggesting that the crowd hasn't connected with him enough for him to become a top guy is absolutely ridiculous. He's living in a fantasy world.

Guest Loss

Also, as for Montreal, anyone who agrees with him hasn't read up on the whole story, despite the whole story being one of the easiest-to-find things out there.

As for Montreal, it turned out to be the best non-worked work in wrestling history, if that makes any sense. Vince did it to create controversy and help usher in the Attitude era, and on that level, it was a smashing success. It had nothing to do with "time honored tradition", it was just a way to spark interest and establish the attitude era out of the gate.

Once again Triple H groups everyone under the same radar... :throwup:

It makes it easier for him to avoid having to make a good argument that way. Call everyone on the internet 12-year old kids, brush them off as wannabe's, and quickly move on without having to properly discuss the issue at hand.

I would have asked Hunter why his bodybuilding book completely avoids talk about steroids.

As for Montreal, it turned out to be the best non-worked work in wrestling history, if that makes any sense. Vince did it to create controversy and help usher in the Attitude era, and on that level, it was a smashing success. It had nothing to do with "time honored tradition", it was just a way to spark interest and establish the attitude era out of the gate.

I seriously doubt that.

I'll give Vince credit for being a great promoter, but there's no way he'd know what the reaction would be from the fans. Its not like was sitting around thinking to himself "Wow, I really need to do something that'll usher in the Attitude Era."

As for Montreal, it turned out to be the best non-worked work in wrestling history, if that makes any sense.  Vince did it to create controversy and help usher in the Attitude era, and on that level, it was a smashing success.  It had nothing to do with "time honored tradition", it was just a way to spark interest and establish the attitude era out of the gate.

I seriously doubt that.

I'll give Vince credit for being a great promoter, but there's no way he'd know what the reaction would be from the fans. Its not like was sitting around thinking to himself "Wow, I really need to do something that'll usher in the Attitude Era."

The idea was to create controversy, which is essentially what the Attitude Era was about. The product was headed in a new direction and this was the final nail in the coffin for the "new generation era". I think Vince knew that scewing one of his biggest stars at the time would create controversy and interest, maybe not at the absurd level it turned out to be in the long run, but he knew it would get people talking.

That was at the very least an insightful interview. I think alot of people 'DO' hate HHH cause he's married to the boss's daughter and actually the "if you believe internet fans I have to beat Flair" sounds like he's been reading these boards.

Guest Hass of Pain

I'm sure HHH has nothing better to do than read TheSmartMarks messageboard, you're absolutely correct.

I love HHH and think this was an intelligent, well spoken series of answers from a guy who obviously loves the business. He's absolutely correct in everything he said aside from RVD not having a connection with the crowd, and I think for the most part his statements on internet "journalists" is pretty spot on. The internet can be a very obnoxious beast who hates on a guy like HHH and praises a guy like Steve Austin who held just as many people down, put himself over everyone even after his in ring career ended and abused his wife to top it all off.

I could buy Triple H loving the business if he wasn't so intent on burying people. Someone who genuinely loved the business would try and make as many people as they could, not bury as many people as they could. As for his tired and cliched line about the internet, yeah, there are some 'reporters' on the internet who don't know what they're talking about, but you can say the same thing for any form of media.

As for Montreal, it turned out to be the best non-worked work in wrestling history, if that makes any sense.  Vince did it to create controversy and help usher in the Attitude era, and on that level, it was a smashing success.  It had nothing to do with "time honored tradition", it was just a way to spark interest and establish the attitude era out of the gate.

I seriously doubt that.

The idea was to create controversy, which is essentially what the Attitude Era was about. The product was headed in a new direction and this was the final nail in the coffin for the "new generation era". I think Vince knew that scewing one of his biggest stars at the time would create controversy and interest, maybe not at the absurd level it turned out to be in the long run, but he knew it would get people talking.

I still believe all he was thinking about was how to get the belt off of Bret so WCW couldn't say that had the real WWF champion on their show.

Guest Hass of Pain
I could buy Triple H loving the business if he wasn't so intent on burying people. Someone who genuinely loved the business would try and make as many people as they could, not bury as many people as they could. As for his tired and cliched line about the internet, yeah, there are some 'reporters' on the internet who don't know what they're talking about, but you can say the same thing for any form of media.

Where exactly have you been for the last year? HHH has had one of the best years of his career because he's been so busy helping new guys get over. Sure he's had the title for most of the year, but Raw needs HHH as champion to keep the gears turning towards the future. In what his father-in-law's company billed as the largest Wrestlemania of all time, HHH tapped out to Chris Benoit in the center of the ring in Madison Square Garden, and you're kidding yourself if you think that The Rock, Steve Austin or Hogan would even consider doing that in the last match at Wrestlemania. The Undertaker won't even agree to lose in the undercard.

HHH put Shelton Benjamin over twice and made him look like a star. HHH has made Randy Orton, and he's making his own character look like a sniveling pussy around big Dave to get Batista over. To say that HHH is burying people left in right in insanity when you look at the track record of almost every other long term World Champion of the last 10 years. You know HHH has been planning on jobbing to Orton or Batista at Wrestlemania for almost six months now? What more can you possibly ask from the guy that wouldn't weaken his character and destroy his ability to get these young guys over? There hasn't been a bigger team player than HHH in the last 12 months.

So he didn't put over Booker T? You know why that was? Because Booker T is mediocre in the ring, unintelligable on the mic and no longer a big fish in a small pond like he was in WCW.

Smart fans really are on a witch hunt to knock HHH in any way possible, and there hardons for The Rock and Steve Austin blind them to the fact that both guys were every bit as bad as HHH at times, if not worse in Austin's case.

Here’s the thing, nobody is this business, Vince McMahon included, makes stars in this business, except the stars themselves. Booker T is not a top guy or Rob Van Dam is not a top guy is because they’re missing the piece of the puzzle that allows fans and I’m talking the massive fans, to connect with them. “Stone Cold” was hugely popular before the office ever got behind him. “Rock” made himself what he is and then the office pushed him. It’s the same thing with me and the same thing with a lot of guys. That’s the way it works and anybody that says this guy holds me down or the office doesn’t push me or anything, need to look into the mirror and say that’s is all on me.

There's an old cartoon of three fish of three different sizes. The smallest fish is thinking to himself "Life isn't fair" as he's about to be eaten by the medium sized fish. The medium sized fish is thinking to himself "Life is sometimes fair". As he's about to be eaten by the biggest fish, the biggest fish thinks to himself "Life is fair."

People who get to the top through some unfair advantage always rationalize that they deserve to be there, and that the people below them aren't in their position simply because they're not as good as the top guy.

In any event, for Triple H to assume that he can connect with fans better than RVD is ridiculous in its arrogance. One only has to look at RVD's WWF career during 2001 to see that he connected with fans on his own in a way that Triple H was never able to do. Then they jobbed him out to the Undertaker. Booker T also got over in a big way at the end of 2002, but was buried at Wrestlemania XIX by Triple H himself.

He's got a point that Austin and Rock got over on there own, but he himself did not. Triple H needed Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels to get over, and if he really thinks that he has some special quality that Booker T and RVD lack, he is simply the most full of shit person currently in professional wrestling.

and you're kidding yourself if you think that The Rock, Steve Austin or Hogan would even consider doing that in the last match at Wrestlemania.

I agree with Steve Austin and Hogan, but I don't know about The Rock considering he tries to put over people.

Guest Hass of Pain
He's got a point that Austin and Rock got over on there own, but he himself did not.

Someone seems to be forgetting the DX days when HHH was the second most over face in the company only behind Austin, as well as the fact that he was being pushes towards the world title before he even began dating Stephanie. If you want to get super technical, he was in line for a King of the Ring win and a major push before Hall and Nash even left for WCW, so I would hardly blame all of his success on Stephanie.

He's got a point that Austin and Rock got over on there own, but he himself did not.

Someone seems to be forgetting the DX days when HHH was the second most over face in the company only behind Austin, as well as the fact that he was being pushes towards the world title before he even began dating Stephanie. If you want to get super technical, he was in line for a King of the Ring win and a major push before Hall and Nash even left for WCW, so I would hardly blame all of his success on Stephanie.

I challenge you to find anywhere in my post where I use the word "Stephanie".

His earlier pushes were the result of being buddies with Shawn Michaels.

So he didn't put over So and So? You know why that was? Because So and So is mediocre in the ring, unintelligable on the mic and no longer a big fish in a small pond

Right and so are Chris Jericho, RVD, Kane, Shawn Michaels, and every other person HHH put into the ground?

Where exactly have you been for the last year? HHH has had one of the best years of his career because he's been so busy helping new guys get over. Sure he's had the title for most of the year, but Raw needs HHH as champion to keep the gears turning towards the future. In what his father-in-law's company billed as the largest Wrestlemania of all time, HHH tapped out to Chris Benoit in the center of the ring in Madison Square Garden, and you're kidding yourself if you think that The Rock, Steve Austin or Hogan would even consider doing that in the last match at Wrestlemania. The Undertaker won't even agree to lose in the undercard.

HHH put Shelton Benjamin over twice and made him look like a star. HHH has made Randy Orton, and he's making his own character look like a sniveling pussy around big Dave to get Batista over. To say that HHH is burying people left in right in insanity when you look at the track record of almost every other long term World Champion of the last 10 years. What more can you possibly ask from the guy that wouldn't weaken his character and destroy his ability to get these young guys over? There hasn't been a bigger team player than HHH in the last 12 months.

So he didn't put over Booker T? You know why that was? Because Booker T is mediocre in the ring, unintelligable on the mic and no longer a big fish in a small pond like he was in WCW.

Smart fans really are on a witch hunt to knock HHH in any way possible, and there hardons for The Rock and Steve Austin blind them to the fact that both guys were every bit as bad as HHH at times, if not worse in Austin's case.

Where exactly have you been for the last year?

Watching the results of the previous 3 years worth of cutting the legs off nearly every guy who could have become a superstar.

HHH has had one of the best years of his career because he's been so busy helping new guys get over.

Who did he get over ? Benoit, the guy who he never lost cleanly to outside of WM XX ? Benjamin, the guy whose challenge for a rematch he laughed off as if Benjamin was nothing ? Eugene, the babyface who he treated like crap in the cage match ?

Sure he's had the title for most of the year, but Raw needs HHH as champion to keep the gears turning towards the future.

And I wonder how they've come to have to rely on HHH so heavily.

In what his father-in-law's company billed as the largest Wrestlemania of all time, HHH tapped out to Chris Benoit in the center of the ring in Madison Square Garden, and you're kidding yourself if you think that The Rock, Steve Austin or Hogan would even consider doing that in the last match at Wrestlemania.

Rock would absolutely have done it, and to say otherwise is beyond silly. Austin probably would have done it, if after some talking to. Hogan for sure wouldn't have done it without going into business for himself to steal the spotlight. And, if you think Hunter did the tap out purely out of the goodness of his heart, it's you who is kidding themselves.

The Undertaker won't even agree to lose in the undercard.

And what exactly would Kane beating Undi have acheived ? Better that the guy who ends the streak, if it ever does get ended, be someone who can really use the boost.

HHH put Shelton Benjamin over twice and made him look like a star.

Granted, Hunter waved the wand over Benjamin in their first singles match, but by blowing him off the way he did when Benjamin asked for a rematch, he let everyone know that he didn't take Benjamin seriously. And if the top star doesn't take someone seriously, why should anyone else ?

HHH has made Randy Orton,

That's a good one.

and he's making his own character look like a sniveling pussy around big Dave to get Batista over.

Of course he is. He's got to make the guy he's going to beat for World Title #11 or whatever look good, so he looks good. Hunter makes people for one reason; so it means someone when he beats them, and sends them on their way to Midcard Town.

To say that HHH is burying people left in right in insanity when you look at the track record of almost every other long term World Champion of the last 10 years

Hunter has buried tons of people over the last five years or so, and if you don't see that, then you're blinkers must be on too tight.

You know HHH has been planning on jobbing to Orton or Batista at Wrestlemania for almost six months now?

Hunter can't get to that magic 17th reign without dropping the belt a few more times. Every time Hunter has dropped the belt, it's been to get it back as and when he wants to, so he can beat Flair's record. He hasn't done it to be any kind of team player.

What more can you possibly ask from the guy that wouldn't weaken his character and destroy his ability to get these young guys over?

How about stepping down from the main event scene for a year or so, and letting others have a go with the ball ?

There hasn't been a bigger team player than HHH in the last 12 months.

4 years of burying > 1 year of being a team player.

Booker T isn't the best in the ring, but he's far above being mediocre. His mic work is pretty decent too. He's by no means the gibbering idiot you think he is.

Smart fans really are on a witch hunt to knock HHH in any way possible

If Hunter didn't give people reason to knock him, they wouldn't. Those that did would soon fall off the wayside.

and there hardons for The Rock and Steve Austin blind them to the fact that both guys were every bit as bad as HHH at times, if not worse in Austin's case.

The only one with a hardon for anyone is you for Triple H. How many guys has Rock buried six-feet deep ? As for Austin, yeah, he's been guilty of guzzling people at times, but to compare him to Hunter is absurd.

A few points here.

Firstly, Mick Foley is FAR better wrestler than Triple H will ever be. Hunter may babble on about Mick "not knowing holds" or whatever crap, but that's not important. Wrestling is an art form. It's about telling a story. Mick Foley knows more of psychology and stoytelling than Triple H ever will. Does he have the finest 'technical' bouts? No. But, nor does Triple H. Good wrestling doesn't have to be technical wrestling. Good wrestling tells a story - good wrestlers are good storytellers. In that department, Mick Foley SMOKES Triple H.

Secondly, his usual "RVD and Booker missing that special something" speech. I wouldn't usual bother with this, seen as though he makes a point to mention it every single month. However, THIS comment is insane:

"Stone Cold was hugely popular before the office ever got behind him. “Rock” made himself what he is and then the office pushed him. It’s the same thing with me and the same thing with a lot of guys".

No Trips, you fool. You were pushed to the moon and you STILL wasn't over until Mick Foley made you a star. You beat Austin, you beat Rock, you beat Show, you beat McMahon, you were made THE TOP GUY. You were given Stephanie McMahon as a valet, and yet you STILL weren't as over as RVD in 2001, and Booker T in 2002. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. And YOU had already been in the company 4 years. They'd been there for less than ONE year. Triple H, you got over because they decided they were going to MAKE you a star, even if killed them. RVD and Booker were on the CUSP of stardom, without the office ever giving them fuck. You went and ruined it.

Guest Hass of Pain

"Three years of cutting the legs off of people" is exactly what a World Champion does. It's what Hogan did for seven years, it's what Austin did for five years, what Sammartino did for 8 years and what Flair did for a decade at his peak.It's what sets a main eventer apart from the rest of the roster. A main eventer has to be booked strong so that when the time is right, on rare occassions, he can put over a guy beneath him and pull him up to his level. If HHH did every job the internet wanted him to, he would kill his own drawing power and sink Raw to even lower depths.

You assume entirely too much. You aren't inside of the man's head so you can't paint all of these elaborate conspiracy theories and expect me to buy them.

Case in point:

1990: The fans turn Sting into the most popular babyface in WCW after a strong year in 1989, and Ric Flair puts him over at The Great American Bash 1990 and makes him look like a million dollars in the process. Once Sting is no longer working with Flair, he begins to tank as a draw and doesn't generate much interest. WCW is forced to put the title back on Flair at a house show.

2004: HHH makes Randy Orton look like a star along with help from Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels. The fans turn Orton face and rally behind him, and on pay-per-view HHH puts him over strong for the title and makes him look great. After a few weeks, it's obvious Orton isn't ready for the title as something isn't clicking. WWE is forced to put the title back on HHH.

So, what you are telling me, is that in the first case Flair was doing a good thing for the business and putting over Sting, and because he couldn't see into the future and didn't know Sting's title reign would be weak, he did what was right for business and took the title back. But, in almost the exact same scenario 15 years later, HHH knew ahead of time Orton's title reign wouldn't work with the fans and went through ALL over the trouble of putting him over just so he could add another title win to his name?

Don't you think that's being just a tad presumptious?

I'll respond to the rest in a second....

"Three years of cutting the legs off of people" is exactly what a World Champion does.

That right there tells me you don't know what you're talking about. A World Champion doesn't cut the legs off of people. A real World Champion builds people up, and, while he does beat them, he doesn't make them look like crap in the process. Have fun 'responding to the rest', because I don't intend to waste my time on someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

2004: HHH makes Randy Orton look like a star along with help from Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels. The fans turn Orton face and rally behind him, and on pay-per-view HHH puts him over strong for the title and makes him look great. After a few weeks, it's obvious Orton isn't ready for the title as something isn't clicking. WWE is forced to put the title back on HHH.

THIS NEVER EVEN HAPPENED!

Where exactly have you been for the last year? HHH has had one of the best years of his career because he's been so busy helping new guys get over. Sure he's had the title for most of the year, but Raw needs HHH as champion to keep the gears turning towards the future.

You know why Raw need HHH as champion? Because before 2004, there had been no elevation on Raw from 2002-2003. Good for him for putting Benoit over, yada yada yada, but I don't think there was much choice but to elevate people.

Erm, not really. I actually don't blame Triple H for this one though. I blame the freaking writers for not following up! He beat Triple H 3 (?) times. The first time was great, and the followed up alright. The second and third time: forgettable. Why didn't they feud? Shelton wasn't 'made' in '04. He was nicely introduced, but far from being a star.

HHH has made Randy Orton

How? Orton got popular after his feud with Foley. And then when he beat Benoit. The only thing that feuding with Triple 'made' Orton look like was a bland babyface who should desperately be a heel.

and he's making his own character look like a sniveling pussy around big Dave to get Batista over.

I'm waiting until this feud concludes to say anything. They can still fuck it up, you know. There's a lot of room for error here.

What more can you possibly ask from the guy that wouldn't weaken his character and destroy his ability to get these young guys over?

To follow up and make them look as good after the feud than during?

Guest Hass of Pain
That right there tells me you don't know what you're talking about. A World Champion doesn't cut the legs off of people. A real World Champion builds people up, and, while he does beat them, he doesn't make them look like crap in the process. Have fun 'responding to the rest', because I don't intend to waste my time on someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about.

I've been watching wrestling for 20 years, and following it through the Observer and Torch Newsletters for eight. Ric Flair was a real world champion, you are right. He built people up, made them look great and sometimes they succeeded, sometimes they failed. That's not what every drawing WWE champion since the nationwide expansion has done though. They feed on people until their time on the top is over. If I may quote Booker T, "Don't hate the player, hate the game". It's the WWE system, not HHH.

You call me uneducated. Fine. I call you close minded.

HHH didn't laugh off Shelton Benjamin in the way you think he did in my opinion. He nervously laughed when Benjamin asked him for another match and made excuses why he shouldn't which is exactly what a cowardly heel does. HHH put Benjamin over twice, and Shelton hasn't fallen off since because of HHH, he's fallen off because he still can't connect with the crowd as well as he needs to be able to when he isn't facing the World Champion and the most hated man in wrestling. Any rookie can get over slapping the top heel in the territory in the face, it's making the crowd pop for all of your offense when you're wrestling a lower carder who isn't over that sets those who have the crowd connection down apart from those who don't. Shelton doesn't have it yet, but he's getting there and he'll no doubt be one of the greats of this decade by the time all is said and done. HHH put him on the radar, it's now up to Shelton to build on that. HHH was in the middle of other programs and wasn't in the position to continue to hold Benjamin's hand.

They've come to rely on HHH so heavily because no one else has emerged as a viable replacement yet. The internet can cream over Benoit until the end of time, and I appreciate his matches as much as anyone, but he isn't good enough on the mic and promos sell pay-per-views, not the possibility of ***** matches. Jericho should have gone over HHH a few years ago that night on Raw, but that was a call that came from the office, but HHH's run at the top was still very short compared to most mega main eventers and he was still doing really good business on top. Internet fans have had a vendetta against HHH ever since.

No, it's not silly to say that The Rock wouldn't have tapped in the final match on Wrestlemania. He might have, but it's far from a given. I seem to recall a "heel run" where he was so worried about getting all of his cutesy stuff over that he cut Goldberg's legs out from under him before he even got going and turned the crowd on him.

There is no way that Austin would have done that. Austin left the company rather than having to job to Lesnar, whined about having to face Scott Hall at Wrestlemania, flat out refused to work with Jeff Jarrett in the exact same way Goldberg wouldn't work with Jericho, came back to the company, left again, and then as "sheriff" or Raw stunned every heel week after week after week never giving ANYTHING back. How about the Undertaker? Still feeling like he is owed nonstop wins because he put Lesnar over what has to be three years ago now. Remember when he "put John Cena over"? HHH would never take 95% of the offense of a sure bet future star, kill someone's finisher and then act like it never happened. You say Kane didn't need the win, no he didn't. But what the Taker does every single year for a while now it seems is end up in a safe match that he won't end up losing. The guy is ten times more obnoxious than HHH because at least you don't read in the Newsletters every single January that "HHH has begun lobbying for another high profile win at Wrestlemania this year".

Again, if you think that HHH is making Batista look great lately as part of a nefarious plan to build him up before he beats him (especially with talk of the Raw and SD champs switching brands post WM), I would say you're jumping to some pretty big conclusions without much proof.

Anyway, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion, HHH is doing nothing that any other major champion of the past 20 years hasn't done. The Undertaker and Steve Austin are twice as bad as HHH has been in the last 7 or 8 years, and Hogan was worse than any of them in their prime. For some reason though internet fans have decided to put HHH under a much more intense microscope and crucify him for his every action, and assume that everything good he does has some sort of an ulterior motive.

I think that the internet as a whole lacks the ability to be objective. They can't recognize the faults of internet darlings like Benoit and Chris Jericho, and they can't even praise the occasional contributions that internet heels like HHH make to the sport. They jump to WILD conclusions that HHH is scheming to win 17 World Titles and destroy Chris Jericho's career and report them as fact when no concrete evidence of that has ever existed, only speculation. That's why no one takes the internet seriously, and I don't blame them.

Guest Loss
I'm sure HHH has nothing better to do than read TheSmartMarks messageboard, you're absolutely correct.

I love HHH and think this was an intelligent, well spoken series of answers from a guy who obviously loves the business. He's absolutely correct in everything he said aside from RVD not having a connection with the crowd, and I think for the most part his statements on internet "journalists" is pretty spot on. The internet can be a very obnoxious beast who hates on a guy like HHH and praises a guy like Steve Austin who held just as many people down, put himself over everyone even after his in ring career ended and abused his wife to top it all off.

Who did Austin keep from reaching superstar status? I want names. You want some names HHH has buried? I'll name them ALL since I'm in the mood to do so.

Rob Van Dam

Kane

Booker T

Chris Jericho

Jeff Hardy

Test

Eugene

Randy Orton

Scott Steiner

William Regal

Kurt Angle

Some of those guys have had more success than others, but none of them are seen at the same level as HHH, and that's because of they way HHH treated them during their feuds. Some of them, like Steiner and Test and even Jeff Hardy, had less potential than the others, but Jeff Hardy lost almost all of his heat when HHH squashed him for the Intercontinental title in 2001. Scott Steiner wouldn't have been a long-term player anyway, but since they were doing a three-month feud, pushing for a shorter match that wouldn't purposely set out to expose all of his weaknesses would have done both guys a favor. There was a time when Test had the potential to become a player, and HHH stole his wife and he wasn't booked to get revenge. He powerbombed him through a table in 2001 and he wasn't able to get revenge. Test was never able to get over again after that because he was a big guy being manhandled so easily by the real main eventer. Eugene wasn't going to be in the big picture for the long-term, but HHH even working a program with him was a bad idea, since it should have gone to someone like Christian who could have used the feud.

Van Dam, Kane, Booker, Jericho all should be major players at this point in time, and the only reason they aren't is HHH. The ONLY (I stress ONLY) reason they aren't is HHH.

In Orton, you have a guy who was turned face after a year of push finally got him over as a heel and is no longer seen as the chosen one. There was no build to Orton's breakaway from Evolution, and now Orton is floundering, when he was scheduled to be the next big star. Regal had great chemistry with HHH and could have worked a long program with him, but HHH squashed him repeatedly and Regal was never booked to even seek revenge.

Also, Austin ushered in a wrestling boom. HHH has not. Therefore, Austin's actions never hurt business. HHH's did. THAT'S the difference and THAT'S what some people refuse to see.

Guest Hass of Pain
Who did Austin keep from reaching superstar status? I want names.

It's easy to get blinded by what his act has become now, but Jeff Jarrett was good enough to be a main event level heel when Austin flat out refused to work with him.

Guest Loss
Where exactly have you been for the last year? HHH has had one of the best years of his career because he's been so busy helping new guys get over.

Who?

*snip*

If HHH would have made Benjamin a star, Benjamin would be in World title matches right now. He's an IC-level wrestler, which means absolutely nothing.

HHH has made Randy Orton, and he's making his own character look like a sniveling pussy around big Dave to get Batista over.

HHH is doing a good job with Batista, but they haven't had a match yet. HHH didn't make Orton because Orton isn't even a main event star, or at least the fans haven't accepted him at that level. If anyone made people care about Orton, it was Foley and Benoit, not HHH.

To say that HHH is burying people left in right in insanity when you look at the track record of almost every other long term World Champion of the last 10 years.

He's somewhere alongside Nash, Michaels and latter-day Hogan. Not exactly the best company in the world. Bret, Guerrero, Benoit, Lesnar, Angle and Austin were far more professional as champs.

You know HHH has been planning on jobbing to Orton or Batista at Wrestlemania for almost six months now? What more can you possibly ask from the guy that wouldn't weaken his character and destroy his ability to get these young guys over?

Do jobs to Jericho. Do jobs to RVD. Do jobs to Booker. Cut down on your TV time and let someone else carry the ball. Had he done all that the first time, we wouldn't be in this situation.

There hasn't been a bigger team player than HHH in the last 12 months.

Chris Jericho. Chris Benoit. Eddy Guerrero. They've all put practically everyone over with a smile on their faces.

Booker T is NOT mediocre at all.

Tell me this -- what's the worst that would have happened if HHH would have lost cleanly to Booker T at WM and worked in the midcard for six months, getting less TV time and leaving RAW to be built around Booker T and a new top heel? Would the company have gone out of business?

Rock never did anything on that level. Austin was a draw and HHH is the responsible for the boom being over.

Guest Loss
Who did Austin keep from reaching superstar status? I want names.

It's easy to get blinded by what his act has become now, but Jeff Jarrett was good enough to be a main event level heel when Austin flat out refused to work with him.

WHAT?

I was around at the time, and Jarrett had a rep for not being over despite them doing everything under the sun to try to make people care about him. He only got mild heat when he refused to do the Jarrett program, and it came from only Jarrett and Russo. Management backed Austin 100% on his refusal to do the program because he'd be working with someone who was so NOT over that he would have lost heat working with him. The fans were not booing Jarrett enough to put him at that level.

There's a reason Jarrett was never resigned after the monopoly.