TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dames Edna

Hypocricy at the Smarks Board?

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Psych drugs attempt to restore that by producing more of a certain substance, or by making it's receptions more infrequent.
Yep. And since we still don't understand how the brain works, I really think we shouldn't be messing around with it - especially not when the "mental patient" is forced to take the drugs. In my mind, that's aggravated assault and battery, plain and simple, and saying that the illness is rejecting the treatment is a cheap cop-out. And frankly, it's frightening too, because it dehumanises the "patient" completely, treating him (or, more frequently, her) like an animal rather than a sentient person with inalienable rights.

The mental patient can flush the pills down the crapper any time they want. If you're meaning an institutionalized patient, well, they're in an institution for a reason, 99.99999% of the time. Occasionally there'll be some fucked up parents sending a kid to treatment because sonny got busted drinking when he was 15 or whatever, but pretty much 100% of the time, someone is in the nuthouse because they're a danger to themselves and others. Hell, in that thread about the deranged kid with the BB gun that was killed by the cops, some psych treatment could've prevented that from ever happening. As far as things actually played out, well, I stated my opinions pretty clearly in the CE folder.

Anyway, the point I was making was that the mental illness do in fact exist, and are a pretty big problem today.

Psych drugs are making leaps and bounds in terms of actually working without permanently scrambling the inner circuits.

As far as robbing people of their humanity and rights, I can definitely see that opinion, but someone in their own world doped up on Thorazine is in that state because their actions when not on the drug could only be loosely termed as "human." Examples being beating and biting nurses and orderlies, refusing to eat, attempting suicide, attempting homicide, attempting to start fires, actually starting fires, and actually killing people, (ala Andrei Chikatilo and Albert Fish, two HOPELESSLY deranged individuals that were incurably insane.)

A lot of these things which you earlier claimed "didn't really exist" are quite alive and well in any or all of the several serial killers active in the world today.

Guest Cancer Marney
The mental patient can flush the pills down the crapper any time they want. If you're meaning an institutionalized patient, well, they're in an institution for a reason, 99.99999% of the time.
Yeah. There are always reasons. Usually they have to do with the fact that certain behaviours disturb and threaten us. Personally, I feel a lot better about imprisonment when it's mandated by a jury of the accused's peers, validated by a judge, and the accused has the right to defend himself in open court. I don't think doctors have the right to lock people up and force "treatment" on them. See R Whitaker's Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine, and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill.

Psych drugs are making leaps and bounds in terms of actually working without permanently scrambling the inner circuits.
So they temporarily scramble the inner circuits instead. Well that's a step forward if you believe that people's inner circuits should be scrambled in the first place. I don't. I believe that we should help people, rather than brutalise, imprison, or drug them. They aren't criminals. They're having problems in living.

As far as robbing people of their humanity and rights, I can definitely see that opinion, but someone in their own world doped up on Thorazine is in that state because their actions when not on the drug could only be loosely termed as "human."
How is "vegetable" better?

Examples being beating and biting nurses and orderlies
Crime, assault and battery
refusing to eat
Exercising right of self-determination; coercion immoral, persuasion fine
attempting suicide
Ditto
attempting homicide
Crime
attempting to start fires, actually starting fires
Crime; attempted arson and arson are both felonies
and actually killing people, (ala Andrei Chikatilo and Albert Fish, two HOPELESSLY deranged individuals that were incurably insane.)
Also a crime, known as murder one. Treat them as responsible adults and give them a fair trial, then punish them if they're found guilty. Don't let them skip the laws that apply to everyone else just because they're retarded, depressed, or hear Satan in their heads. That's called a double standard, and it's unconstitutional.

A lot of these things which you earlier claimed "didn't really exist" are quite alive and well in any or all of the several serial killers active in the world today.
No. Serial killers are sociopaths, but that's a descriptive term, not a diagnosis. Diagnoses are based on incontrovertible physical evidence and diseases or traumas with clear etiologies and histopathologies. No "mental illness" has either. No reputable neurologist anywhere in the world pays any attention to the pronouncements of the APA - which recently decided to pathologise relationships between people as "sickness" in their next edition of the DSM. Would you like to explain now how a relationship can be "sick" in anything but a metaphorical sense? And why the APA should have the right to dictate to others that their relationships are "sick" and require "treatment?"

It's all such a sad farce. In the Soviet Union, people were regularly diagnosed with a type of schizophrenia known as "seeking reform." Yes, that was really the name of the disorder. They made it up out of thin air, as the APA's still doing today. Has anyone in this thread ever taken a post-graduate course in this subject? Has anyone in this thread ever read the DSM-IV? It lists ages of legal responsibility as symptoms of disease. No real medical science does that. It's biology that matters in real medicine, puberty and menopause, that kind of thing, not whether you're 18 or 21.

Behaviour is not disease. I'm sorry. I know it's easier to believe the lies, but they are lies, and they damage millions of Americans every day. And none of that damage can be repaired.

Guest Kotzenjunge

That was a rather pointless statement. I wonder if he actually read through this thread.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Incandenza
That was a rather pointless statement. I wonder if he actually read through this thread.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

I think there were too many big words for him. It maked hiz hed hurted.

Guest EL BRUJ0
That was a rather pointless statement.

Yes it was.

I wonder if he actually read through this thread.

I did.

I think there were too many big words for him

No, the words were alright in length.

It maked hiz hed hurted.

Actually, it brougt a fuzzy feeling to the pant area.

That is all... or is it?

Guest bob_barron

What's so good about WDI honestly??

It's just another message board, it's not some message board of utopia

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Seriously..this board is one of the better ones I've been to..and better moderated than most.

Guest Dames Edna

Well its free of Avril Levigne lovers, it had the balls the ban Anglesault, and it is free of the complete shit that goes on here. In short, we wouldn't want you

Guest Cancer Marney
Seriously..this board is one of the better ones I've been to..and better moderated than most.
Yeah, the mods are great. They don't ban people for substance, only procedure, which is exactly as it should be. And I think we should all be grateful that we have an admin whose ego isn't bound up in the board. Dames admits his mistakes, and he's big enough to change his mind. I like and respect that.

Guest bob_barron
Well its free of Avril Levigne lovers, it had the balls the ban Anglesault, and it is free of the complete shit that goes on here. In short, we wouldn't want you

I like Avril Lavigne. So that means I would'nt be welcomed at a message board?

And you accuse this board of having complete shit that goes on here?

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Now I don't listen to it..but..

What does it really fucking matter if someone likes Avril whatever her name is? There's nowhere it SAYS that everybody has to like the same music. That's just a tasteless cheap shot.

"Complete shit"? Since I seem to be ignorant in these matters, enlighten me, o' wise one.

Guest Some Guy

They also banned you twice didn't they?

Guest LooseCannon

It was just a little gratuitous Avril bashing. No big deal. I like the way the WDI guys pimp their forum around here now and then, seemingly oblivious to the fact that if we went over there and posted, we'd likely bring our complete shit with us.

Guest Dames Edna

I wasn't talking to you Marney, don't flatter yourself. I wouldn't waste my time engaging in any form of dialogue with you. In fact, I am currently hating myself for talking to you.

Ah, I feel better already

Diablo, between the ubsurd amounts of people who pimp Avril and have Michael Cole banners - I'd say its pretty ridiculous around here.

And the pyscho maneater Marney doesn't make anything better. Considering no one defends themselves against her, and continue to get walked all over - I'll pass.

No one acts superior to the other at this board. If someone acts like a sarcastic shit, or is unjustifiably rude - another will defend them. Its a community, not an ego stroke for elitist individuals.

Guest El Psycho Diablo

Bah. People trying to act superior to another is something going to a different message board is gonna change.

Guest Dames Edna

I suppose you guys are right, I am retracting my invitation. This was a bad idea.

Guest treble charged

Now, I've got nothing against WDI, I go there often and enjoy having conversations with many of the posters there, but to say that the board is free of the 'shit that goes on here' is completely untrue.

The past day's worth of 'drama' that has gone on over there far surpasses anything that's gone on during the time I've spent posting here.

And, it's not free of Avril Lavigne lovers, either, just so you know.

Guest bob_barron
I wasn't talking to you Marney, don't flatter yourself. I wouldn't waste my time engaging in any form of dialogue with you. In fact, I am currently hating myself for talking to you.

Ah, I feel better already

Diablo, between the ubsurd amounts of people who pimp Avril and have Michael Cole banners - I'd say its pretty ridiculous around here.

And the pyscho maneater Marney doesn't make anything better. Considering no one defends themselves against her, and continue to get walked all over - I'll pass.

No one acts superior to the other at this board. If someone acts like a sarcastic shit, or is unjustifiably rude - another will defend them. Its a community, not an ego stroke for elitist individuals.

Okay-

What's so wrong with Marney? She really only flames people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Ubsurd (sic) amounts of people who pimp Avril?? Ummm what? Most people hate her with a passion.

Me, Flyboy, Superstar and SuperTonyJameyz are fans of her and we were only pimping her to Bionic Redneck who wanted to know what the big deal was.

I like her and I enjoy defending her in various debates. That's what like message board are like.

If people at WDI are like you- then I wouldn't to go there.

Guest Some Guy

I've posted quite a bit at both WDI and here, the difference is that WDI is roughly the same posters in every folder, making it a whole community, while here it's more like the WWF, CE, GC, etc... are their own communities with overlappinf members. Here you need to find your niche, there if you don't get along in one folder chances are you won't on the whole forum.

That is not a critisism, just an observation.

Guest Incandenza

I've posted a handful of times at WDI (mostly in the Music folder), but I've lurked a lot elsewhere, and they seem like a fine bunch. BDub--who has been banned there before--is not represenative of the board as a whole.

And I'm tired of this "our board is better than your board" bullshit. Who gives a fuck? The only thing I don't like about this board here is the WWE folder. Other than that, I think it's a fine place.