TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest EQ

A kid from my home town died this week

Guest EQ

He was 17... Junior or Senior in High School. I didn't know the kid (I graduated in 2000), but I know a couple of people that did, and from talking to them, I was able to gather that he was a fairly popular kid and the school was pretty devistated over the loss.

This just got me thinking... I wonder how many people would have cared had the same thing happened to me when I was at that time in my life.

Do you ever think about that kind of stuff?

All the time...I think about my funeral and who would show up. That's the most important thing to me. Who gave a shit enough.

Dames

Guest caboose

Well seeing as I've reached the point in my life, where I will do what ever seems like the most fun thing to do at the time, I don't think about who would care that I was gone.

I don't believe in mourning someones death, you should celebrate their life.

Guest Zack Malibu

I think about it a lot. When my cousin got killed, he had over 2,000 people show up to the wake, leaving a line down the sidewalk from the funeral home. A turnout like that, knowing how many people actually do give a shit (TM Dames, heh) is touching. I hope I receive the same treatment one day.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

All I ask is that Shadows Fall, Slayer, The Misfits, and Metallica are played at my memorial service (since my family believes in cremation) instead of the stupid fucking church music.

I've thought about who would turn up too many times for a 16-year-old kid. Guess that happens when you lose two friends, a schoolmate (albeit not a friend, and one you barely knew), and a teacher at your school (albeit one you never had nor talked to) within the span of 6 months...

Guest AM The Kid

I think about it alot too. I've even figured out what friends would give a shit(tm Dames, lol). I want a ton of people to show up, that would be amazing...not like it'll matter to me then anyways I guess.

Guest T®ITEC

I considered the idea of setting aside a large amount of money, so that people will be paid to show up at my memorial service. Just because, even in death, I wanted people to think I was popular,.. and a better person.

What a lame idea that was!

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, of course I have. Everyone who has even been mildly depressed has thought of this.

This thread's too depressing :(

+1

Guest Choken One

I have this particular thing I Put in My Will (Yes, I already Made one)...I want A Maximum of only 50 People at my Memorial Services...and I want no Ministers or anything. Just close the casket...Do the whatever and drop my body into the earth and move away.

My only fear is that I will have a Son and I'll die before I see him grow to be a man.

Of course, Growing up I was preoccupied with those thoughts thinking how I would have more of my father's friends then My own show up.

The thing that really made me thinking about it was when 4 of my classmates died in seperate events in one Weekend in my Freshmen year. One commited Suicide (I remember people going "Who?" when they made the anouncment, I knew him, only because he loaned me 5 bucks for lunch), Two of them in seperate Car Accidents (both Popular Seniors) and another whom had some type of sickness and it come as no surprise.

I attended only one of the services (The Suicide) and there were only maybe 10 people total (His Mom, Step-father,a couple Cousins and Uncles and myself). He had no friends and no one knew him.

I heard over 5,000 turned out for one of the popular seniors services...I wasn't there though.

I do wonder about this shit alot...I hate Funerals...It's depressing and you only find yourself thinking "When is it my time?"...

Guest What?

That's the fucking reason I hate the people at my school.

This one kid killed himself (I didn't know him at all), and people were making jokes about it! JOKES!

Another kid died in a car accident (one of my other friends was the driver...poor guy) and people were fucking sobbing...

The difference? The first kid was an unknown face. The other, a popular Senior.

Fuck everyone at my school. Everyone.

Guest Anglesault
That's the fucking reason I hate the people at my school.

This one kid killed himself (I didn't know him at all), and people were making jokes about it! JOKES!

Another kid died in a car accident (one of my other friends was the driver...poor guy) and people were fucking sobbing...

The difference? The first kid was an unknown face. The other, a popular Senior.

IMO, it boils down to a horrible tragedy and, quite frankly, (And this is my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone) coward who couldn't deal with what life dealt him. Personally, I lose a great deal of respect for people who commit suicide, and I think other people feel that way. When you kill yourself, you're not only ending your life, you're inflicting pain and anguish on those who care about you.

I don't think a lot people understand why someone would commit suicide. They think they're just a coward. But as someone who has thought about committing suicide on more than one occasion. I can tell you it's a little bit more than that. You have to either go through it or know someone who's going through it to understand. Anyway, I figured people would come to my funeral. I have a big family!

Guest treble charged

Whether or not the person is a coward, committing suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do, IMO. Your friends and family are left to suffer, and you're off wherever you go when you die.

Guest Anglesault
Whether or not the person is a coward, committing suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do, IMO. Your friends and family are left to suffer, and you're off wherever you go when you die.

Thank you. That's what I was trying to say.

Whether or not the person is a coward, committing suicide is one of the most selfish things a person can do, IMO.  Your friends and family are left to suffer, and you're off wherever you go when you die.

That's true, and its one of the main reasons I never acted on my thoughts. I didn't want to hurt anyone.

AS, I knew what you were trying to say. I hope my post didn't come off as rude.

Guest Anglesault
But as someone who has thought about committing suicide on more than one occasion.

But you didn't. You chose NOT to end your life, you chose to be brave and keep on going in the face of whatever. I'm assuming that you dealt with/are dealing with/sought help for whatever was bothering you. You are obviously a strong person. And believe me, because people kill theselves, that doesn't mean they had bigger problems. It means they are weaker, selfish people.

Thank you for calling me a strong and brave person. Yes, I have sought help for my problems. I didn't feel very brave when I did, but I'm glad I did it.

I think if someone and kills themselves without seeking proper help, then that is a very foolish, stupid and selfish thing to do. There's always someone willing to help.

Guest Vitamin X

I specifically have scars on both my arms and wrists from suicide attempts to this day, so I udnerstand what Shattered Dreams is talking about.

If you look at the I have no friends thread in NHB, you'll notice I kind of went off on this tangent about making your own choices, blah blah blah. Even though I'm naturally a pessimistic guy, I still strongly believe in having the ability to say well I fucked up, the reason why this sucks in my life is because blahblah blah this and that, and you're able to point out and single out that there are things you could have done better to prevent that, so really if it's something you did to fuck up your own life, why should you be so angry and so spiteful as to want vengeance on the world by killing yourself?

I've learned to just analyze and fix the things I get depressed in my life over, and know better now thankfully...

Guest Choken One

One of the reasons people DO commit suicide is because they didn't have some one that was there for him to leave behind...they might might have neglected by parents...Unable to make relationships...

Of Course, We've all contemplated finishing our selfs off be it because of Depression, Fear, Lonliness, Anger or what ever the fuck...

My Only problem is that we as people aren't doing enough to reach out to the motherfuckers calling for help...And don't act like they are recluses...They aren't...Suicide Victims are often very open about their desires to die but no one ever listens until it's to late...

So Take from me, A person whom stared down into the barrel and held up the fucking Knife to his throat...If you see someone, In need for help, take some out of your motherfucking busy life, and save that person because you never know, Maybe that guy was supposed to be the President or something...Maybe he has an extrodinary gift that no one knows about...

Don't you dare just walk past them and judge them because you don't understand the concept of suicide...You could be a god send to that one person...Take the opportunity to save a soul.

Hopfully, You read the words I say and then you can pass them on for the world to see.

Guest Anglesault

I will always try to help.

HOWEVER

If you are not trained in this field or have some sort of experience, you have to be VERY, VERY careful. I would just be worried about saying the wrong thing and doing more harm then good.

Guest Choken One

I do agree with you there (perish the thought) but any thing can help...Just say Hi and talk them for five minutes, Maybe even get their number and invite him to a party or out for a drink or something...Anything can help...

Clearly you don't go up a Depressed person and go

"So Ya Depressed?"

No reaction.

"What? C'Mon man...It's a beautiful day! Cheer Up Mate!"...

you won't do any good there but I assume that MOST of us are mature enough to know how to handle this because we all either gone through that stage or known some one who has...

Guest Your Olympic Hero
He was 17... Junior or Senior in High School. I didn't know the kid (I graduated in 2000), but I know a couple of people that did, and from talking to them, I was able to gather that he was a fairly popular kid and the school was pretty devistated over the loss.

This just got me thinking... I wonder how many people would have cared had the same thing happened to me when I was at that time in my life.

Do you ever think about that kind of stuff?

cause of death?

I've always been more afraid of dying before I can do anything with my life. Sure I'd be in a better place (I'm a Christian), but I just feel that I could do something worthwhile on this planet to justify my being here. It hasn't happened yet. I'd like to make an impact on someone else's life, even if it's just one person. I was reminded of this when I saw the local paper this past summer, to see a story on the death on one of the kids in my school, through a car accident. He was only eighteen, and while I didn't know him personally, I recognized who he was and had seen him in the halls quite a few times. The fact that he died so quickly kind of startled me, and I was simply shocked for a good five-ten minutes. It freaked me out that it happened so easily, especially since it was due to a drunk driver, and how he wasn't really in control of anything. I say all this because what's the point of living if you experience middle age at nine years old? Too scary to think about, and I know I said that alot, but man, it's a little weird.

Regarding others, I always thought I'd see who actually cared about me if I went to jail. I mean, if you're dead, you're dead and the person wouldn't feel any guilt in not visiting you since you're not feeling anything. You got shit in prison, except for a visit from a friend, which could mean the world.

Guest Choken One

So the fact your christian justifies you to live a better afterlife? I hate that Shit.

Yes, We can't control our destinies...That's why we need to seize the day, freeze it and hold it tight every day...

No, the fact that I'm a Christian means that I believe that there are better things for me once I die. It's not a truth, but it's what I believe, and you can prove any different? I'm open to believe that I might be wrong, but at this point I don't see it. Also, I should point out that I think that we're judged based on who we are as people, not on our religious beliefs. That's personal though, and alot of Christians believe differently.

Back on topic, I believe that the lack of knowledge of when our time is up means that we should be trying to do as much with life as possible. That's why I don't understand people who take it for granted and squander it away, if only due to fucking around during the early part of their life and working a shitty job for the rest of their life. What's the point in that? Just get up and do something man, because you don't want your legacy to be a guy who worked in a factory his whole life, or something like that anyway.

Guest What?

AS, I think it was the fact that people were making jokes about it while others cried about it is pretty sick...

But I totally see where you're coming from