TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest oldschoolwrestling

Could a mainstream star launch TNA

Guest oldschoolwrestling

Do you think a WWE main eventer or really high upper mid-carder could make fans really start supporting TNA? I'm talking about someone like a HHH, Chris Jericho, Stone Cold, Goldberg, etc.

Before you dismiss as mere fantasy, picture these scenarios which could all happen:

SCSA walked out on the company, what if his contract had run out before he returned and he wasn't injured. What would have happened if he went to TNA just to spite Vince?

HHH and Steph break up, he leaves the company, and to spite Steph goes to TNA.

Goldberg's 1 year contract expires and he isn't happy with the WWE so he goes to TNA where he only has to work a day a week.

Jericho finally gets fed up and after his contract expires he leaves for TNA.

How many stars would it take to make it a serious threat?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I don't know.

It's hard to imagine anyone but the Rock being able to get them a TV deal.

Austin can't work anymore...so he's out.

I'll just say no.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

A big star gains attention. A good product keeps the attention.

Guest Zack Malibu

I would say it would gain them notoriety, but at this point it would turn NWA into the "leftovers" fed. WCW was established before Hogan, Hall, Nash, etc. went over there. If TNA were to get a big name star from WWE somehow, all the credit for any ensuing TNA popularity would go to them.

The best bet is to continue with the alternative to the WWE product. Turn your starts like AJ Styles, Truth, Glen Gilbertti, XXX, into mainstream stars anyway possible. There is more hype to be gained from "You HAVE to see that Styles kid" or "That Truth guy is GREAT on the mic!" rather than "By the way, Steve Austin is the new commisioner of NWA:TNA. Hooray." People don't wanna see that crap on RAW these days, and that's a free show. No one would go out of there way to see it on a different show.

Guest oldschoolwrestling

Right Zack but I was thinking more along the lines of, Chris Benoit is the NWA-TNA champ and he's defending against faces, heels, etc and busting serious ass. "I must order this show" type of stuff.

Or Chris Jericho is and AJ Styles are tearing down the house every show.

But Chris Benoit isn't a mainstream star. Outside of the wrestling world, he isn't known, unlike guys such as The Rock, Hogan and Austin.

Dames

Guest oldschoolwrestling

My bad. I actually meant mainstream in the wrestling world. Wrestling fans know the main WWE stars, even if they have stopped watching WWE.

You know what...I wouldn't even consider Chris Benoit a mainstream WWE star, which is sad.

He hasn't built up a legacy, like The Undertaker or Shawn Michaels. He's never won the WWE Title, although he has come very close and has never been given the #1 babyface or heel slot in the company ever. He would be seen just like everyone else that left the WWE by marks, in my opinion.

I wish I was wrong, but until WWE pushes Benoit like a star, he won't be seen as one.

Dames

Guest El Satanico

Yes a big name who's not totally washed up would likely do alot for TNA.

However, they couldn't just rely on a big name like WWe is doing now. They'd still need to have a good midcard and a decent lower card. They'd also need to push young guys who aren't "WWe rejects" into main event slots.

WWe may not use Beniot as a major star, but the fans have shown that they want to cheer the guy. I think even Beniot who never recieves real pushes would get some attention from the WWe universe of fans if he were to go TNA and tear shit up in the ring.

Guest RedJed

I know I've said this before, but I think the only guy that really could maybe get some mainstream appeal for the company would be Mick Foley. He left WWE before he became watered down and "just another guy" in the company, so he could still draw if it came to it, I think.

If they could play out this whole TNA commish role for a bit and make it into a big deal, and then have him come in and get into an interesting storyline, even leading to him coming out of retirement for a few matches (how about one with Raven?) I'd be all for that.

Guest El Satanico

Yeah, Foley would give them some good exposure and he's obtainable unlike the other big names that would help TNA.

Since Foley knows he'd be able to contribute something to TNA, I'd say they'd have a good chance to talk him into coming out of "retirement" for a couple of months or so.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

If TNA actually got Foley, and he wrestled, I'd mark out like a fat guy at an all you can eat buffet.

Foley also would have an ulterior motive. He could plug his new book on TNA, and they could, in turn, advertise it.

However, Mick wrestling I'm not so sure about.

Guest Blue Bacchus

It would take an Act of God (Foley) to get them a TV Deal. As much as I love watching TNA, I doubt they will ever get a TV any time soon.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Even though he wouldn't help them get on TV or challenge the WWE in any way...

I STILL maintain that RVD is the absolute perfect fit for this company.

Guest Blue Bacchus

At least then he might be able to go back to Heel Cocky RVD which will be how I will always remember him.

Guest TheGame2705

If Jericho got fed up? Why would he get fed up? What's he mad about?

NWA already is the leftovers fed. They may as well accept it. They have Jeff Jarrett, Disco, K-Kwik, etc.

I'm gonna have to say that no, a big name wouldn't be able to do it.

Edited by TheGame2705

Guest Dynamite Kido

I think it is possible if a star would show up that it could help TNA rival WWE. I also think that TNA would have to really rise up the product quality. I don't think that there product is bad but they would have to step it up that much more to get noticed and bulid a fan base.

Guest RedJed
NWA already is the leftovers fed. They may as well except it.

You're ignorance never fails to surprise me.

Mick Foley could get them some recognition, maybe enough to get a TV deal. I'm surprised that USA hasn't gone after a fed for awhile. RAW was their main draw a few years back and they suck now, only showing a cool movie every once and awhile.

Guest TheGame2705

Funny, I was re-reading this topic and noticed my spelling mistake and was gonna put

EDIT: corrected "Accept" before any spelling nazis come and get me

....too late.

Also why not try debating the point. How is it NOT the rejects and never will be's fed?

Double J- Gone from WWE twice

Raven- Best thing he's ever done is main event ECW

AJ Styles- Wrestled as a freelancer on Velocity and whores himself to any place looking for a good cruiserweight

I could go on but maybe I'm too ignorant :-\

Guest Kotzenjunge
But would you pay 10 bucks to see The Rock for 2 hours every week?

Yes. Throw some wrestling on there too, and we've got ourselves the best weekly show ever.

Guest oldschoolwrestling
AJ Styles- Wrestled as a freelancer on Velocity and whores himself to any place looking for a good cruiserweight

He was offered a contract and turned it down to be close to his family.

Guest Steel_Fury

I'd never miss a show if they signed Kurt Angle. That probably wouldn't get them a TV deal alone though. I think they will eventually get a good TV deal. It looks like they are moving in that direction. The production quality is getting better; I dont think it's as good as what even ECW was doing on TNN yet.