TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

1) Were the Steiner Brothers' two title victories for the WWF tag belts televised? I've never seen footage of these matches with IRS and I'm curious as to whether the title changes occurred at untelevised house shows.

IIRC, the first was on RAW the night after King of the Ring, where Hogan lost to Yoko.

2) Did the Road Warriors ever face the original Demolition (Ax and Smash)? If so, what was the result?

They met at a few house shows in the fall of '90 with LOD winning each meeting.

4) How many times has Hogan faced Flair one-on-one and what were the results of those matches? Was Hogan ever involved in a match with Flair in Flair's first WWF run (1991-1992/93) besides Royal Rumble '92?

1. Several house shows near the end of '91, where they traded CO or DQ finishes, or a reverse decision in Hogan's favor.

Sorry of any of these already have been asked...

1) Were the Steiner Brothers' two title victories for the WWF tag belts televised? I've never seen footage of these matches with IRS and I'm curious as to whether the title changes occurred at untelevised house shows.

2) Did the Road Warriors ever face the original Demolition (Ax and Smash)? If so, what was the result?

4) How many times has Hogan faced Flair one-on-one and what were the results of those matches? Was Hogan ever involved in a match with Flair in Flair's first WWF run (1991-1992/93) besides Royal Rumble '92?

Thanks!

1) The first win was the day after the 93 KOTR at a Wrestling Challenge taping. No clue why it was never televised. The other switches were at house shows that week.

2) Yes. LOD won all the matches.

4) Several dozen times. If you want to know the specific results, try 1991 and 1992.

4.) Hogan and Flair faced off against each other in a singles televised match in December 1991 shown on the Madison Square Garden Network. They would not face each again in the WWF until May 2002 on an episode of RAW where Hogan defended the Undisputed Title against RAW GM Flair.

On the 2nd to last episode of SNME, Hulk Hogan teamed up with Sid Justice to take on Ric Flair and the Undertaker. Sid turned heel.

There's also a match on Battle of the WWF Superstars 1992 where Hulk Hogan teams up with IC Champ Roddy Piper to take on Ric Flair and Sid Justice.

Off the top of my head in WCW:

Bash At The Beach 1994 - Hogan's first WCW match, defeats Flair to win the WCW Title

Halloween Havoc 1994 - Hogan defeats Flair in a Steel Cage Retirement Match, retaining the WCW title

Superbrawl 9 - Hogan defeats Flair courtesy of David Flair's heel turn, retaining the WCW title

Uncensored 1999 - In one of the strangest match endings ever in prowrestling history, Flair defeats Hogan via pinfall in a First Blood Steel Cage Match to win the WCW title.

Uncensored 2000 - Hogan defeats Flair in a Strap match.

Guest Fook
The Austin-Hart double turn is often referred to as the best in WWF history.....

I can't honestly think of any others....Fill me in?

The only other one I can think of was with the Powers of Pain and Demolition at Survivor Series 88.

You could make a case for Rock and Foley at Survivor Series 98, but Foley was never officially a heel (despite being with Vince) and Rock was never officially a face (despite being against Vince). That's Russo's "shades of gray" for ya.

- I believe they both occured on house shows, as I only remember hearing about it on WWF TV after the fact.

- I believe they did one time at a house show...it was supposed to be a six man tag (LOD/Ultimate Warrior vs all 3 Demos), but Warrior no-showed and it ended up being Ax/Smash vs LOD. LOD won, as they were the ones being pushed, and the Demos were kind of on a downslide at that point.

3) During the Road Warriors' prime (1983-1992), how many times were they pinned? Were the Steiners the only team to score a clean pin over the Warriors during that stretch (at Starrcade 1989)?

- Couldn't tell you this one. Can't really remember them jobbing much otherwise.

- A lot. They faced off at WWF house shows numerous times (Hogan usually won by countout or something). They also wrestled each other several times in WCW.

Uncensored 1999 - In one of the strangest match endings ever in prowrestling history, Flair defeats Hogan via pinfall in a First Blood Steel Cage to win the WCW title.

The fuck?

I realise it was Russo..leave it at that?

Uncensored 1999 - In one of the strangest match endings ever in prowrestling history, Flair defeats Hogan via pinfall in a First Blood Steel Cage to win the WCW title.

The fuck?

This was at least 6 months before Russo joined the company.

- I believe they did one time at a house show...it was supposed to be a six man tag (LOD/Ultimate Warrior vs all 3 Demos), but Warrior no-showed and it ended up being Ax/Smash vs LOD. LOD won, as they were the ones being pushed, and the Demos were kind of on a downslide at that point.

That's a Scott Keith story. They fought more than once.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

That Flair win in the 1st blood match was WCW's version of the Hart/Austin double turn

Hogan was to be face/Flair heel

Hogan was gone within 4 weeks. Flair jobbed the belt to DDP within 4 weeks. Woo!

The fuck?

Then I re-offer my 'the fuck?'

How do you pin in a steel cage first blood?

The fuck?

Then I re-offer my 'the fuck?'

How do you pin in a steel cage first blood?

The only real answer I have is that it's WCW.

Guest Dumb Monkey

Tony Schiavone's explanation on the Uncensored '95 finish: Because it's Uncensored!

The show also featured Randy Savage winning a No DQ match against Avalanche by DQ. That was also the match where Ric Flair ran in dressed as a woman. WCW = great for comedy.

Wasnt' the deal with the Hogan/Flair cage match that Charles "Lil Naitch" Robinson was the ref, and basically screwed Hogan by counting the pinfall?

Guest Hass of Pain
The Austin-Hart double turn is often referred to as the best in WWF history.....

I can't honestly think of any others....Fill me in?

People tend to forget that Austin was pretty much getting cheered and Bret Hart was pretty much getting booed on the television for the two weeks leading up to Wrestlemania, so it wasn't like it was really that masterful of a double turn.

It borrowed some elements from the Dibiase/Murdoch double turn in Mid South, only Dibiase and Murdoch did it a thousand times better and Dibiase truly went from being the top heel ot the top babyface in a matter of minutes and Murdoch went from being a beloved face to the top heel. It hadn't been building for weeks like Hart/Austin had.

Another ECW question . . .

Did Rhino ever blade in ECW? I don't recall ever seeing a trickle of blood leave his body during his entire run . . . and he wrestled New Jack. If he never did bleed, was it because Heyman wanted to protect his monster aura by not having him hemmorage all over the place? Was it coincidence? Or did he bleed every now and then and I just didn't see it?

Guest Hass of Pain
Can you expand on that Haas? What exactly happened between DiBiase/Murdoch?

Sure, it was one of the last really awesome angles that Mid South did. This was 1985, back in the days when a World Title shot actually meant something, and Ric Flair was coming into the territory to face Ted Dibiase who was one of the best wrestlers in the business at that time and the top heel in Bill Watts' territory.

At the time, Dick Murdoch was one of the top babyfaces in Mid South and before the match between Dibiase and Flair began, Murdoch showed up in the ring and voiced a little displeasure that Dibiase was granted a title shot before him, again because the NWA World Champion coming through a territory was such a rare thing at the time.

Out of nowhere, Murdoch just TAGS Dibiase with a really stiff punch in the face. He then takes Dibiase outside of the ring and sets up him up to ram his head into the ring post. Because this is Watts and you either don't use a gimmick or you use it to the degree that it's going to be convincing, Murdoch DRIVES Dibiase's head into the post to the degree that it looked like it should have knocked Dibiase out. Dibiase does this insane bladejob which is one of the worst you'll ever see.

After the break, Bill Watts was in the back talking about the situation. Watts sells an angle like it is nobodies business, and explains that Dibiase had arterial damage in his head and was having a pressure bandage applied currently. He then mentions this boxing match he was in the crowd for as a kid where Sugar Ray Leonard's opponent quit because his stomach hurt, and contrasted Dibiase, saying he worked his entire career for a shot at the NWA Championship and he would try to gut it out because a shot to be the world champion in anything was worth fighting through pain to attempt. Watts warns parents who might be watching or those who are squeamish in general to turn off the television immediately, because if the pressure bandage on Dibiase's head comes off there is no telling how gory the scene may be.

The match between Dibiase and Flair is absolutely brutal and bloody. The more of a beating Ted Dibiase took and kept coming back from and the more he bled all over the arena, the more the fans started admiring the hell out of his courage and hating Dick Murdoch for the beating that he had given him. By the end of the match, Dibiase is more over than anyone in the territory. If you haven't seen it, it is worth finding immediately along with the match the two had on New Years Eve 1985.

I remember William Shatner was on an episode of RAW, what was up with that?

I think I have the Murdoch-Dibiase angle on tape somewhere...Ill have to watch again sometime, definitly among the best stuff Ive ever seen in wrestling.

But, how could Watts have been a KID for a Ray Leonard fight?

I remember William Shatner was on an episode of RAW, what was up with that?

He was promoting his new show called Technoir or something like that. Or that may have been the club Sarah Connor went to in the Terminator. Anyways, it was a cheap sci-fi show that came on after Raw on USA for like 6 weeks. After which I believe Silk Stalkings took its rightful place after Raw.

My buddy and I need a bet settled:

How many Royal Rumbles did Yokozuna participate in?

He says both 93, which he of course won, and 96 as well.

I say 93 exclusively, I dont really recall him in 96 at all.

Guest Fook

Yoko was eliminated by HBK in 96. He and Vader were fighting by the ropes and Michaels charged them and knocked them both over.

I was watching the CV tape "Biggest, Smallest, Strangest, Strongest", and Big John Studd is doing a bench press exhibition. After he gets the 700 pounds up, he starts bragging and runs down Hogan and Andre, with one line about Andre being particularly interesting:

"He might come out here and demonstrate a little wine-drinking to you, but he's not going to demonstrate a little power."

From all accounts I've heard, there was genuine dislike between Studd and Andre, at least on Andre's part, and I'm quite certain Andre's drinking was never mentioned WWF TV in those days. So, was this just a slip-up on Studd's part, or is it just something I'm looking too much into.

I have no answer to that...but it did seem like Andre was a bit stiff with Studd sometimes. Particularly after the Wrestlemania match...Andre snaps Studd's head back pretty violently with a hairpull after the match, it looks like he just yanks the shit right off Studd's head.

I was watching the CV tape "Biggest, Smallest, Strangest, Strongest", and Big John Studd is doing a bench press exhibition. After he gets the 700 pounds up, he starts bragging and runs down Hogan and Andre, with one line about Andre being particularly interesting:

"He might come out here and demonstrate a little wine-drinking to you, but he's not going to demonstrate a little power."

From all accounts I've heard, there was genuine dislike between Studd and Andre, at least on Andre's part, and I'm quite certain Andre's drinking was never mentioned WWF TV in those days. So, was this just a slip-up on Studd's part, or is it just something I'm looking too much into.

Well, it was TNT so it's probable Andre was on earlier tasting wine. But yeah, from all accounts I've read, Andre has always been a little threatened of other "giants" coming on the scene.