TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Speaking of relatively obscure '80s managers, what was the deal with Oliver Humperdink? He came in, managed Bam Bam Bigelow (for some reason), and then I think left at the same time as Bigelow. Then he had that short run in WCW as "Big Daddy Dink" managing the Freebirds at probably their lowest point.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

He managed Paul Orndorff and BBBigelow in the WWF, and bigelow in the NWA IIRC.

Humperdink was a long-time manager in the Florida federations, managing Bigelow for a short time down there, I think ... maybe the Fed just decided that BBB needed a manager, and it made sense to bring in someone that had previously shown a chemistry with him.

What was with Bigelow's relatively short first run in WWF, anyway? He came in, seemed like he was super hot, and then was gone after like, one year. Then he went to the NWA and didn't stay long there, either.

"The Big Kahuna" Oliver Humperdink - managed the Samoans in the NWA After Paul E. left in the late 80ties.

Guest Bulldogs'86

Did Hogan ever pin Piper? I don't think he did during Piper's '80s WWF run, but possibly in the WCW.

I heard that Piper had a reputation for refusing to be pinned during his 1980s WWF run. How much creative say did wrestlers really have back then in terms of deciding how their matches would finish?

Thanks.

Did Hogan ever pin Piper? I don't think he did during Piper's '80s WWF run, but possibly in the WCW.

Hogan pinned Piper at SuperBrawl VII when Randy Savage (who everyone thought was aligned with Sting) turned on Piper and joined the nWo.

Hogan (as Mr. America) pinned Piper at Judgment Day 2003 I believe. As good a match as you can imagine.

I vaguely recall readin that at Summerslam '01, between matches, JR absolutely tears a strip from Heyman, who essentially shrugs it off.

Can anyone confirm that, and, if true, when on the show it took place?

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

absolutely tears a strip from Heyman

What does this mean?

Well, there were the FIVE MOVES OF DOOM:

- Vertical Suplex

- Russian Legsweep

- Backbreaker

- Elbow Drop from Second Rope

- Finally, the Sharpshooter

(not necessarily always in that order, but usually close to it).

He also used the cornerpost figure four later in his career (I believe exclusively in WCW). Other moves he'd bust out would be the hanging clothesline, dropkick, DDT, hip toss, bodyslam, etc.

He also used the cornerpost figure four later in his career (I believe exclusively in WCW).

He first started using it in the WWF in 1997.

Yeah, you're probably right. Now that I remember, didn't he use it on Diesel at least once, maybe in '95 or early '96?

The earliest I remember seeing it was the world title loss to Sid on Raw.

Guest Fook
I vaguely recall readin that at Summerslam '01, between matches, JR absolutely tears a strip from Heyman, who essentially shrugs it off.

Can anyone confirm that, and, if true, when on the show it took place?

After the Angle/Austin title match, JR was yelling about how Austin couldn't beat Angle and had to resort to getting himself disqualified in order to to save the title. Heyman just completely ignores him and starts plugging Excess, which was debuting that week. Classic moment.

During the old school PPVs, were the interviews with Mean Gene Okurland (usually with the big PPV name logo behind them) live when conducted or were they already taped prior to the event and just shown?

It's safe to say his interview with Rick Rude & Bobby Heenan at Summer Slam 89 was live :)

I'm inclined to believe they were all live unless special circumstances were involved.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

2002 - RAW: Raven came out and insulted Jerry "The King" Lawler, citing Lawler's "obvious lack of wrestling knowledge"..

~~~Jerry Lawler challanged Raven to a match | Raven ran away from the ring getting himself counted out from the match..

I recall a back story about the CO result...anyone have a clearer memory?

Mean Gene was interviewing Rude (w/ Heenan) live during the pay-per-view...just as Mean Gene starts talking, the "SummerSlam" sign behind them falls off the wall, and Gene yells "FUCK IT" and they quickly cut away, back to the arena.

You can probably find it on Youtube under "Summerslam blooper" or something similar.

Guest Fook

Some of those interviews were live (like the Summerslam fiasco), but a lot of them were taped earlier in the day.

Hogan's were almost exclusively taped and it was apparent on several occasions as he would give an interview "right before his match" then walk out to the ring wearing a different shirt.

2002 - RAW: Raven came out and insulted Jerry "The King" Lawler, citing Lawler's "obvious lack of wrestling knowledge"..

~~~Jerry Lawler challanged Raven to a match | Raven ran away from the ring getting himself counted out from the match..

I recall a back story about the CO result...anyone have a clearer memory?

I don't know if this is the story you're thinking of but I know Lawler knocks Raven in the book for getting out of losing by pinfall but Raven says in his shoot interview that it wasn't his idea.

A few questions if you will -

*Bob Orton - How and when did Bob Orton break his arm and for how long did he wear the cast.

*Crush - Was in Demolition - then disappeared to reserface in 92 as Crush (Hawain) Where was he during this time - Training??

Then he went heel Crush and painted his face and had Mr Fuji as his manager (I was a huge mark for him at this stage of his carrear). Then he disapeared - to reappear again about 96 as prisoner Crush. Where was he during his breaks. Is it true that the WWF was very high on him and even wanted to go as far as putting the WWF title on him?

Thanks

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Orton's broken arm was attributed to Snuka in storyline IIRC

Crush got in trouble for drugs, guns and roids in in home IIRC - The prisoner part was part shoot