TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

What exactly was the deal with Michael (Corporal) Kirschner. According to somewhat unreliable Wikipedia he was fired from WWF for attacking Vince and apparently had a bit of repuation.

I also read about his incident from the King of the Death Match from Have A Nice Day, but really what's the scoop on Kirschner? Was he nuts or what?

Dr D was fired after slapping John Stossel.

That's sort of incorrect. I think they were okay with the Stossel thing, but actually fired him because of some altercation with Mr. T and then retroactively blamed it on the Stossel thing and subequent lawsuit.

What exactly was the deal with Michael (Corporal) Kirschner. According to somewhat unreliable Wikipedia he was fired from WWF for attacking Vince and apparently had a bit of repuation.

I also read about his incident from the King of the Death Match from Have A Nice Day, but really what's the scoop on Kirschner? Was he nuts or what?

I don't know about how he got fired from wwf but it wouldn't surprise me if he attacked vince.

He was the original Leatherface in IWA. He wrestled there for years until he got into big trouble. He then left and went to tampa. I think he might still go to japan from time to time.

I might just answer this one myself, but I want to see if I'm right:

Was there any particular reason that they kept going with the matches at IYH: Beware of Dog, after the power went out? Obviously it wouldn't be shown on PPV, so was it just a way for them to say that the fans in the arena got what they paid for? I remember laughing out loud when they showed video of Goldust and Taker wrestling in the dark the next night on RAW.

Also.....

When a wrestler dies, and they show an "In Memorium" screen for them before the RAW opening, does that go out live in the arena as well? I'd think it would kill the crowd to see that one of their favorite wrestlers was dead. I know that's how I found out Curt Hennig had died (watching it on TV), and I really didn't feel like watching RAW after that. I can imagine a big *gasp* from the crowd or something.

Was there any particular reason that they kept going with the matches at IYH: Beware of Dog, after the power went out? Obviously it wouldn't be shown on PPV, so was it just a way for them to say that the fans in the arena got what they paid for?

They didn't know when the power would be restored so they kept going in case they got right back on the air. After a couple of the scheduled matches they put Jake Roberts and Justin Bradshaw on to kill time until power was restored. It turned out the power was restored literally the minute they got into the ring so Roberts won in about thirty seconds. During a brief return of the signal, Vince had announced that the taped matches would air on the PPV replay, but the tape was of such low quality it couldn't be broadcast so they made the call to air the matches live as part of the replay. The redone matches took place at the Superstars taping and did air as part of the PPV. They also made a few changes to them, such as Vader winning instead and altering the finish of Undertaker vs. Goldust to just having Mankind cost Undertaker the match, where the original match saw a bunch of heels do run-ins. For some reason, they didn't redo Shawn vs. Bulldog, which annoyed both of them a lot because they were unhappy with the original match.

What was up with Jake Roberts' ECW run? They barely gloss over it on the DVD.

His apperance at Hardcore Heaven in 1997 was just for a surpise, and his apperance at the 1998 November to Remember as Dreamer's mystery partner was a last minute thing when they couldn't make a deal with their apparent first choice, which was going to be Vader.

Ah- so they were both one shot deals? No angles with him?

I think even in 98, a sober Jake might have had potential to be worth something on a roster. Heck in 2006, a sober Jake might make a good manager or authority figure.

Ah- so they were both one shot deals? No angles with him?

I think even in 98, a sober Jake might have had potential to be worth something on a roster. Heck in 2006, a sober Jake might make a good manager or authority figure.

Both were one shot deals, yes.

Jake could indeed be great addition on the creative side or tutoring guys on how to do interviews. The sad thing is I don't think he'll ever be in a state where that could happen. His demons have a hold on him that I don't think he'll ever break.

I'm surprised they didn't redo HBK v. Bulldog, b/c I think Bulldog lifted up his shoulder before the three count. I thought the match was good, and I love the rematch at KOTR

How long did Terry gordy last in the WCW freebirds? I know he was there for Clash 7 but not much more.

Guest jm29195
I'm surprised they didn't redo HBK v. Bulldog, b/c I think Bulldog lifted up his shoulder before the three count. I thought the match was good, and I love the rematch at KOTR

Michaels hates this match, he said it was one of his worst in his book- he did like the rematch though.....

Just wondering, anyone have any clue, when was Lex Lugers first TV Loss in the WWF? Looking through Cawthon's site, it seems as though on TV, Luger never lost a single match on TV via pinfall from his Debut in 93, untill after WM X. THe first on TV loss for Luger seems to be a Countout loss to Jarrett on the 5.21.94 RAW. His first pinfall loss doesn't seem to appear untill the Summerslam match with Tatanka. If this is correct, that's a pretty damn long time to go without getting pinned.

I remember Luger (still as the Narcissist) lost to Hart by DQ when Razor Ramon interfered on Wrestling Challenge. They were playing off from when Luger cheapshot attacked Hart at the Wrestlemania 9 Sunday Brunch Conference so this had to be close to at least mid-93. IIRC I think this was the blow-off to that feud too.

Just wondering, anyone have any clue, when was Lex Lugers first TV Loss in the WWF? Looking through Cawthon's site, it seems as though on TV, Luger never lost a single match on TV via pinfall from his Debut in 93, untill after WM X. THe first on TV loss for Luger seems to be a Countout loss to Jarrett on the 5.21.94 RAW. His first pinfall loss doesn't seem to appear untill the Summerslam match with Tatanka. If this is correct, that's a pretty damn long time to go without getting pinned.

You know I htink you are right. Odd to think I hadnt realized this.

I guess only Tatanka had a longer unpinned run (undertaker hardly jobbed by pin during the 90s too of course)

I remember Luger (still as the Narcissist) lost to Hart by DQ when Razor Ramon interfered on Wrestling Challenge. They were playing off from when Luger cheapshot attacked Hart at the Wrestlemania 9 Sunday Brunch Conference so this had to be close to at least mid-93. IIRC I think this was the blow-off to that feud too.

I'm pretty sure the match was a dark match, as I know they did that finish on house shows a lot but I don't ever remember seeing that match ever airing on TV. To this day I don't know why Luger-Hart wasn't the KOTR final in 1993.

I'm pretty sure the match was a dark match, as I know they did that finish on house shows a lot but I don't ever remember seeing that match ever airing on TV. To this day I don't know why Luger-Hart wasn't the KOTR final in 1993.

That match never aired on TV - it was on the Bret Hitman Hart - His Greatest Matches Coliseum Video.

And I just watched a match today from the 4/8/93 Paris, France show (it was released on video in France and shown on TV there) and on there is a match between Luger and Mr. Perfect and get this - Perfect pins Luger! What happened was Luger did a back suplex into a bridge but Perfect lifted his shoulder up so Luger's shoulders were down for the full 3 count. (Cawthon's site doesn't list this yet - its listed there as Perfect winning on a reverse decision which is wrong so I'll make sure he changes it later)

My question:

When did the then-WWF tighten up their ropes? I was watching some old matches, and the ropes were REALLY loose, to the point where running across the ring shook the ropes; nowadays you have to physically hit them to get them to move.

Snuka on the top turnbuckle bent it down a good six inches or so; standing on the top turnbuckle today barely moves it.

Pillman had Austin on his regular interview segment one week (this was after Pillman came to WWF, but was still on crutches and not wrestling). Pillman basically asked Austin a really insulting question about Bret Hart, and Austin attacked him ("breaking" Pillman's leg by putting it in a folded chair and leaping off the top rope).

At the Survivor Series, it'll be STONE...COLD...STEVE AUSTIN against THE BEST THERE IS...(Austin looks angry)...THE BEST THERE WAS (Austin looks angrier)...AND THE BEST (Austin jumps Pillman).

Great promo, and it helped plant the seeds to help add one of the best talents our generation has ever seen into my all time favourite stable.