TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I have a question I got in my head when I was watching WrestleMania IV the other day (Why? I'm not quite sure) and Gorilla and Jesse were talking about how their were rumors in the National Examiner that Jesse was seeing Vanna White. Now I know this is a stupid question but was there really a story in the National Examiner about Vanna and Jesse being an item or were Gorilla and Jesse just joking around (Wasn't Ventura married with kids?)

Also interesting to note, before the Ricky Steamboat-Greg Valentine match, Jesse said that his friend Barry Blaustein (The future maker of Beyond The Mat I assume) predicts Steamboat to go all the way in the tournament. I always assumed from watching Beyond The Mat that he had only recently openly came out as a wrestling fan. It's just weird to see Jesse mention him way back in '88.

"They used to in WWE, but after Madusa dumped her title belt in the bin on a live Nitro, they got paranoid about it happening again and so the belt stays with someone else, usually a road agent, in between events. They can still get lost from time to time, though."

There were also no guaranteed contracts back then.

Guest jm29195
How and when did Randy Savage join the nWo in 1997? And if it was on a Nitro does anyone have the exact date? Thanks

He joined at Superbrawl 1997- turning on Sting

^ It was actually Piper.

Sting defeated Hogan the following year winning back the WCW World Heavyweight Title courtesy of Savage's interference.

^ It was actually Piper.

Sting defeated Hogan the following year winning back the WCW World Heavyweight Title courtesy of Savage's interference.

yea I think he meant about how savage had started hanging with sting since his return in jan 97 (he dissapeared after losing to hogan at halloween havoc 96) the story was that Eric Bischoff had "blackballed" Randy from wcw so the only way fo rhim to return was to join nWO. Before he did he hung out with that other wcw outcast sting.

Guest jm29195
yea I think he meant about how savage had started hanging with sting since his return in jan 97 (he dissapeared after losing to hogan at halloween havoc 96) the story was that Eric Bischoff had "blackballed" Randy from wcw so the only way fo rhim to return was to join nWO. Before he did he hung out with that other wcw outcast sting.

Yes that was it, Savage had previously passed Sting's 'baseball bat' test on an earlier Nitro and the two were portrayed as allies in early 97...

This is a real odd question, but what the hell.

Watching the 3 way Main Event from WM XX eariler today, I noticed something. Why did Earl Hebner always hang around in the ring after matches were over? What I mean is, at WM XX, Benoit wins, Hebner gives him the belt, raises his hand....but doesn't leave. He stays in the ring, and raises Benoit's hand AGAIN, and AGAIN. He's still in there when Eddie shows up to hug Benoit. Shouldn't he have just raised his hand and left? It was annoying seeing Benoit crying and such, and Hebner's following him around the ring for no reason.

I remember him doing that at WM 12 when Shawn won the title from Bret. Shawn eventually pushes him out of the ring. I think he did it with Austin at WM 15, too.

Is he trying to bask in the spotlight or something? I know it's a weird question but I've noticed it several times.

Something funny I remember from the first time I saw RR95. Owen Hart comes out and Bret runs out after him and beats him down. Then Timothy Well of Well Dunn comes out next, and while he's making his entrance, Owen gets dumped. There was a loud pop for Owen's elimination, but since they were still showing Well running to the ring, I was like "God damn, those guys are really over!" I didn't realize that it was because of Owen until Vince mentioned it.

Well Dunn may be my favorite lame mid-90s wrestling pun. Especially when the ring announcer would say ". . . Timothy Well, Steven Dunn, they are Well Dunn!" I mean The Fink never said "They are the Allied Powers!"

Kevin Dunn is listed in the credits for Wrestlemania2...how can he have been around so long and not care at all about wrestling?

I remember the kayfabe reason was Gorilla Monsoon was interim WWF President and wanted to give the fans something exciting that they've never seen. I can remember them many times talking up Monsoon as the Fans' President and that he wants to give them whatever they want.

It was also used as the kayfabed reason when they changed the Shawn/Sid match at SummerSlam that year to the Shawn/Razor ladder match II, and the weird Diesel/Shawn vs. Owen/Yoko match at IYI when all the titles were on the line in the same match.

It was quite the interesting booking idea. I wish they'd try it again sometime. Lord knows we need something different NOW.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Bill Watts booked it but was fired/quit before he could book out the whole angle and thus uhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Was Hercules a babyface at the end of his WWF run in early 92? His last major match was against Sid at the February 92 MSG show (Where he was squashed in under a minute). If he was a babyface, how did he turn?

Edit: I also saw he jobbed to The Berzerker on the house show circuit in early 92. Why I care so much about Hercules? Beats me.

I think Hercules kind of became a de facto babyface after Power & Glory broke up. I don't think he was really on TV much though, after getting squashed by LOD at WM7.

Why didn't Herc ever go to WCW in the bloated 90s?

He did in 92 as the masked Super Invader, managed by Harley Race. I don't think the stint lasted too long though.

What was the point of that anyway? Hercules seemed like a fairly well known name. I'm surprised he didn't just wrestle under that name. I guess the idea was for him to be a sort of tag team partner for Big Van Vader, though.

Guest wildpegasus

He did in 92 as the masked Super Invader, managed by Harley Race. I don't think the stint lasted too long though.

He would than form a team with Scott Norton after that and win the NJPW heavyweight tag titles. Not too bad, not too bad at all.

I was watching the episode of TNT currently available on 24/7 (not sure of the episode date, but it has Savage's debut Fed match along with Heenan, Jimmy Hart, and Blassie bidding to be his manager) and one thing that caught me by surprise was, in showing a Pedo Morales vs Wrestler X match, the referee was a female. What the hell was that about?

That was Rita Marie. Her most famous moment on television was probably when she tried to control Terry Funk as he beat the shit out of Mel Phillips.

Pretty sure she was involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit or two w/ Uncle Vince.

That was Rita Marie. Her most famous moment on television was probably when she tried to control Terry Funk as he beat the shit out of Mel Phillips.

Pretty sure she was involved in a sexual harassment lawsuit or two w/ Uncle Vince.

More serious than that -- she said Vince raped her in the back of his limo. The chauffeur actually corroborated her story.

He would than form a team with Scott Norton after that and win the NJPW heavyweight tag titles. Not too bad, not too bad at all.

The Jurrasic Powers! I like them, they had a really bad ass vibe to them. I used to have a tape with their 2 or 3 matches with the Hell Raisers (Road Warrior Hawk & Kensuke Sasaki) that I loved.