TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

So I'm watching Survivor Series 96 and McMahon references that "Razor" and "Diesel" have credentials.

Unless I missed something during that period, much like the whole WCW/World Heavyweight lineage problems, did they actually build up the characters of Razor and Diesel as former IC and World Champions, so that the fakes walked around with those credentials?

When did Austin go from Serial Killer to red neck? From what I recall it was right after his neck got jammed by Owen that he starting being less Killer more redneck thriller

When Austin was out injured they did an interview from his home, which was in a rural, wooded area. This was when he had "target practice" with an effigy of Owen.

A couple of months later, when he began to feud with the Nation, is when he showed up with his pickup truck and started drinking beer at work.

Why is the UK WWE Tagged Classics DVD's allowed to remain in tact? No WWF blurring or censoring. I'd like to know why that's allowed but the North American WWE DVD's continue to get slaughtered.

John Lister explains it better than I could:

The court ruling is that WWE have to do everything reasonable to cut out the use of the scratch logo and the voicing of the initials WWF. Obviously this means it must be cut out of any new releases WWE put out themselves (including reissues of old material).

However, the Tagged Classics are not being released by WWE. They are DVDs which Silver Vision are putting out themselves, and are simply straight transfers of the old VHS tapes they already have the rights to put out in the UK. So there's no reasonable action WWE can be expected to take here - as Silver Vision are already licenced to sell these specific recordings, it's not possible to for WWE to force them to make all the usual edits to the logo/initials.

If, of course, WWE were to license a previously unreleased tape (such as, for example, 'The Best of Steve Austin on Raw in 1999') the court order means they would have to make sure any relevant edits were in place before they handed the master copy over to SilverVision, or any other distributor.

The ruling applies worldwide - the key point of the case is that WWE are being legally forced to stick to a private agreement they made themselves in 1994, rather than being made to follow a specific law. The ruling doesn't place any specific obligation on SilverVision (or any other third party). So any action SilverVision take is whatever they negotiate with WWE as part of their licensing arrangements - it would be a commercial rather than legal issue between the two companies.

Tagged Classics may have been a negotiated way of them SilverVision their old back catalogue without putting WWE in an awkward situation (by continuing to market stuff in WWF packaging.)

Here's something that's bugged me. With the exception of the main event, that's understood with Burt Renolyds, but WHY did that other announcer announce the big matches such as Bret vs. Owen and The Ladder match at Wrestlemania X? I always thought Fiinkle wasn't there but watching the show again, he was, and I just didn't like the other dude.

My completely uneducated guess is the revealing of Fink's toupee by the Hair Club for Men dude was supposed to be a big surprise so they kept Finkel off most of the show to not let the joke wear thin and had Bill Dunn do it.

What were the original plans for Hulk Hogan for Hog Wild prior to his heel turn if any? The box cover that wasn't updated made me wonder.

What were the original plans for Hulk Hogan for Hog Wild prior to his heel turn if any? The box cover that wasn't updated made me wonder.

You're guess is as good as mine, but I reckon that he would be doing the exact same thing (defeating The Giant for the World Heavyweight Championship) in a babyface capacity.

Here's a question TSM's Canadian contingent might help me out with (though certainly anyone could answer it) but I was wondering why Goldberg always seemed to get huge heel heat on the occassions when WCW went to Canada? At first I suspected it having something to do with Goldberg ending Bret Hart's career but I think he was getting booed before that.

It probably stems from the Nitro in Toronto where Bret called Goldberg out, then tricked him into the spear with the steel plate wrapped around Bret's midsection. No one was cheering for Goldberg over Bret that night anyway, and Goldberg got branded a punk that night by the Canadian fans.

More generally, though, I don't remember many WCW guys who either weren't Canadian or didn't have WWF roots getting big pops in Canada.

This was brought up in the Tape watching Club on Wednesday but I'll ask it here, Did Lenny and Lodi ever wrestle as Standards and Practices?

I scanned Cawthon's site and DDT Digest and it didn't seem like they had any matches under that gimmick. For some reason, they didn't wrestle from the time the gay gimmick was aborted until they became 2XS (which IIRC, seemed to be a watered down version of Standards and Practices).

Maybe I should listen to the Lenny Lane shoot interview I downloaded a few months back and see what he has to say. Though it wasn't very compelling listening. I should ask myself why I downloaded a Lenny Lane shoot interview...

What's the story on the backstage fight between the Bulldogs and the Rougeaus? Shoot interviews and whatnot on Youtube seem to conflict, but the gist of what I've seen is that Dynamite Kid suckerpunched Jacques with a roll of quarters in his fist..........Can anyone shed some light?

What's the story on the backstage fight between the Bulldogs and the Rougeaus? Shoot interviews and whatnot on Youtube seem to conflict, but the gist of what I've seen is that Dynamite Kid suckerpunched Jacques with a roll of quarters in his fist..........Can anyone shed some light?

What I have pieced together from numerous accounts is that, after being bullied around by Dyno after a long time, Jacques got tired of his shit and sucker punched him when the he was walking through a doorway, knocking out some teeth. There's a little more to it but I'm tired and going to bed right now. But that's the main gist.

The Wrestlemania 25 thread got me thinking.

What were the plans for Gurrerro at Wrestlemania 22? Assuming the won the WHC from Batista, would he go in the champ? If so, who would he defend against.

The Wrestlemania 25 thread got me thinking.

What were the plans for Gurrerro at Wrestlemania 22? Assuming the won the WHC from Batista, would he go in the champ? If so, who would he defend against.

Guerrero would drop the WHC back to Batista, who they thought would be back by then.

Ah okay then.

I remember watching the February 1990 edition of The Main Event that featured Hulk Hogan taking on "Macho Man" Randy Savage for the WWF Championship with Buster Douglas as the Special Guest Referee on videotape when I was a kid. I guess my parents must have taped it off of the TV then.

Coliseum released Saturday Night's Main Event's Greatest Hits in early 1988. It was mostly a Best of Hulk Hogan tape.

Then they released More Saturday Night's Main Event in 1989. This tape was much better. Rockers/Busters, Blazer/DiBiase, Hogan/Bad News, ect.

Columbia House went on to release a Best of Saturday Night's Main Event tape in either 1990 or 1991. Other than a Hogan/Tugboat vs R&B match, I really don't remember what else was put on the tape.

Columbia House went on to release a Best of Saturday Night's Main Event tape in either 1990 or 1991. Other than a Hogan/Tugboat vs R&B match, I really don't remember what else was put on the tape.

I had that for a while a few years ago. "Best of" is a stretch, but the Hogan-Warrior vs. Perfect-Genius was pretty good (and started the feud to WMVI), and I actually had a match from it in the matches draft: Rockers vs. the Hart Foundation.

Then they released More Saturday Night's Main Event in 1989. This tape was much better. Rockers/Busters, Blazer/DiBiase, Hogan/Bad News, ect.

I remember renting that when I was a kid. It was a good compilation.

At WCW Sin in January 2001, Goldberg & Dwayne Bruce lost a match to Luger & Bagwell where Goldberg had to "retire." Were there any plans in place at the time on how Goldberg would return had WCW not closed down a couple months later?