TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Boo_Bradley

Power Rangers

Guest Boo_Bradley

I was at least 2-4 years above the acceptable age to watch Power Rangers when they came out, I didn't care. I flaunted my Power Ranger love. I don't even recall the show being overly cheesy at 1st. I watched from the early days of Rita Repulsa, Goldar, Fingster (?) and that fat blue dude and his lankier blue friend. Billy,Trini, Kimberly, Jason and Zack formed one amazing 5-some. (Although their success caused VR Troopers/Masked Rider/and The Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad to be green lighted, and although I watched all of them, they were indeed poor direct ripoffs) I recall marking out the 1st time Zordon and Alpha called upon the Ultrazord~ to help the Megazord kick some BUTT. I stayed facinated by MMPR as The Green Ranger and the DragonZord were debueted(which led to a subtle power struggle between Jason and Tommy) Eventully Rita was over thrown by Lord Zed but ultimately the 2 evil badasses fell in love. I recall tragically the "death" of the Green Ranger, and the debuet of the White Ranger (seriously, this stuff had me glued to my TV every day after school before Baywatch)

But then the show decided to freshen up, and a few of my heros (Zach, Trini, Jason) were sent off to promote world peace to be replaced by 3 new faces (Adam, Rocky and Aiesha if memory serves) The Zords changed, and the show was still entertaining, but was in danger of "jumping the shark". Once Lord Zed was over thrown (?) by that fat giant Robot (see my apathy growing?) and Billy was chosen by a race of Water dependant aliens to come to their home planet, I just about gave up.

I shudder to think that some of you may have stuck it out as the series seems to change each year now (Turbo Rangers etc etc), but I'll wait loyally for my Power Ranger Series Box Set to come out on DVD.

So who watched it? Memories... and yes I realize I completely ignored the awesome skits by Bulk and Skull at Ernie's Juice Bar. You see Bulk and Skull would take many more paragraphs to properly configure their complex characters. (They went from ass holes to buffoons to heros to having entire subplots all their own... Remember when they spent a whole season trying to uncover who the Power Rangers were? GOLD!~)

Tis all 4 now.

Guest DawnBTVS

I still enjoy watching the "Mighty Morphing Power Rangers" that they air on the Family Channel at 8:30 AM ET...*hint hint* :headbang:

Guest starvenger

My favourite Power Rangers series (most to least):

Power Rangers in Space

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers S2 (Thunder Zords)

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers S1

Power Rangers Ninja Storm (so far)

Power Rangers Time Force

Power Rangers Zeo

Power Rangers S3 (Ninja/Shogun Zords)

Power Rangers Turbo

Power Rangers Lost Galaxy

Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue

Power Rangers Vile Force (Forever Red alone does not make a series great, plus it pales in comparison to Gaorangers vs Super Sentai)

And yes, I am much too old to be watching the show. Still, I gotta say that the new season has been a lot better than some of the previous ones. I thought the whole "extreme" sports thing and Sensei rodent would make it annoying, but they don't play it up a great amount, and have kept a fairly tight continuity so far while injecting some fun humour into the show ("not ANOTHER rock quarry!").

Guest Marshall

I went to see the movie and famously pissed on the seat next to me in the cinema when it was over. Dunno why, I was only about 13. Ivan Ooze was hardcore though!

Guest RenegadeX28

Man, I was such a HUGE fan of MMPR! I had alot of PR merchandise! I even wanted to dress up as the red ranger! But, the costumes were all sold out!

The best part of the series will always be when the green ranger did his debut. He was such an unstoppable force! I remember thinking that they may end the series then and there!

Another great era of MMPR, when Lord Zedd and Rita teamed up. I remember the hype was so HUGE about this....the series premiered on FOX Primetime. They showed Part 1 at 8PM!

Hopefully......a DVD Box set will be released...

Guest KingOfOldSchool

Like starvenger, I still watch it... that is, the new season and any repeats of the old ones, excluding Turbo, Lightspeed and Wild Force, since I thought those three were terrible. My problem is, ABC Family airs the episodes too damn early.

I'm liking Ninja Storm thus far. The fact sensei is a guinea pig is hilarious, another one of those tongue-in-cheek jokes about how silly the show can get. And I don't even mind the extreme sports stuff as a whole, though always seeing them coming to or from those places can be sort of annoying.

Guest DerangedHermit

I watched Power Rangers from the end of S1 to the beginning of Zeo, but it wasn't until the beginning of this year that I had my interest in PR sparked. Ninja Storm is surprisingly good, especially after the pile of ass that was Wild Force.

Guest starvenger
Like starvenger, I still watch it... that is, the new season and any repeats of the old ones, excluding Turbo, Lightspeed and Wild Force, since I thought those three were terrible. My problem is, ABC Family airs the episodes too damn early.

I'm liking Ninja Storm thus far. The fact sensei is a guinea pig is hilarious, another one of those tongue-in-cheek jokes about how silly the show can get. And I don't even mind the extreme sports stuff as a whole, though always seeing them coming to or from those places can be sort of annoying.

The thing about Turbo is that it actually got BETTER once Tommy, Adam et al left and the new rangers came in. Still, there was some bad crap in there (the kid, the morphing motion, the kid, the original morphing animation, the kid, Divatox II and did I mention the kid?). The best things about this show were the Zords (of course), Divatox I (played wonderfully over the top by Hillary Sheppard-Turner) and the two female rangers - they got the hotness factor right with those two.

Since I live CST the Rangers block runs 7-8, so it's perfect for me since I leave for work right around 8.

I think the Lost Galaxy-to-Wild Force era bothered me a bit since the characters NEVER CHANGED CLOTHES. Obviously, it makes for cheaper production since you can film parts of several shows at one time but it's not exactly realistic, is it? Thankfully Ninja Storm has corrected this. I still have a problem with the visible morphers but you can't win them all, I guess.

I craved for the one on one duels where it would be pro vs. antogonist in the middle of nowhere. The spark fest and high jumps would usually end in a dramatic escape or forfeit

Golden :headbang:

Guest Sturgis

I stopped watching during the Turbo season. It just got to ridiculous for seeing how they changed there powers(ninjita, turbo, zeo) every year, I mean I know you want to keep the show fresh, but that was insane. That and when Amy Jo left the show just never seemed the same again. I see the new ones from time to time and I just don't get it, but I got more memories.

I do have a best of list though:

Best Male Ranger: Tommy as the White Ranger

Best Female: Kimberly

Best Villian: Lord Zedd

Best Series: The first Lord Zedd series

Best Zords: Thunder Zords

Oh and I almost forgot I have a few questions:

How come the TV series ignored the movie(original) and explined their new powers diffrently?

What was that pig doing in the movie?

How come when they got new animals to represet them they kept their dinosoar helmets?

And why did they have their power coins on their outfits on toys, books, the movie, but the TV show didn't?

Guest Ravenbomb

Zedd as best villain? Come on, the Green Ranger was way better. He didn't worry about being the Charismatic Lead Villain, he just coldheartedly ruined the PR's shit.

I liked the Power Rangers, but I missed the last episode (ARGHH!!!! I love the last episodes! Even if I never watched a show, if it's on I'll watch the last episode) and never got into PRNeo (Zeo? Something-eo) or anything afterwards, and I started wishing death on them when the kid showed up.

btw, Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (yes it was spelled like that) was pre-Power Rangers

Guest razazteca
VR Troopers/Masked Rider/and The Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad

Which one was on USA network? That one with the ultra tight costumes of latex..........you could see almost everything.

Guest Youth N Asia

Green Ranger was the best villain, but you knew he was going to do a face turn. I lost inteterest in the show nearing the White Ranger saga.

Good show for what it was though. Although it led to some of the worst copycats ever.

Guest El Gigante

I was a big fan of the Power Rangers during the first season of it. But once the first movie came out I lost interest because they just seemed to be changing everything and it was getting too confusing for me.

Guest starvenger
I stopped watching during the Turbo season. It just got to ridiculous for seeing how they changed there powers(ninjita, turbo, zeo) every year, I mean I know you want to keep the show fresh, but that was insane.

Oh and I almost forgot I have a few questions:

How come the TV series ignored the movie(original) and explined their new powers diffrently?

It wasn't so much keeping the show fresh as being able to use more fight footage from the original Japanese series. That and selling more toys - let's not forget what the bottom line here is.

Best Villian: Lord Zedd

Best Zords: Thunder Zords

Green Ranger was probably the best short term villain (and Green With Evil rocked), but since he wasn't one for very long I can't count him. Astronema was the best villain in my books.

I'm digging the current Zords as well.

Probably an "alternate reality", where no Japanese footage exists and spandex becomes rubberized armour. The second movie had direct continuity though.

How come when they got new animals to represet them they kept their dinosoar helmets?

I shudder to think of what a Frog helmet would be like...

Good show for what it was though. Although it led to some of the worst copycats ever.

Hey, Copycat shows worked for Peter Engel, so I can't blame Saban for trying.

Failed shows:

VR Troopers (which, iirc, was actually footage from TWO Japanese shows)

Masked Rider

Beetleborgs

Mystic Knights of something or other

There was also a dubbed Ultraman show on Fox a couple of years back, as well. I can't really call it a copycat (because it's Ultraman, dammit) but it didn't last long.

I'm not entirely sure that Syber Squad was before Power Rangers (it wasn't in Canada, I know that) but it wasn't all that great, either.

Anyways, the copycats had the martial arts down, but I guess without the Big Ass Robot in a it just wasn't the same...

Guest Ravenbomb

true, SSSS wasn't great, but a show with Tim Curry in it can't totally suck

Guest EdwardKnoxII
Which one was on USA network? That one with the ultra tight costumes of latex..........you could see almost everything.

Yeah I remember that it was called Beverly Hills something about 4 spoiled beverly hills teens that could grow into giant fighters. It was funny cause the actors playing the fighters all have some ripped muscles even the girls while the regular actors weren't built at all. The teens could then join together to form a knight.

Guest The Mighty Damaramu

Yeah I've always wanted to watch the original Japanese series where they took all there footage from.

I still think it was funny when they'd show them going "This is how we do our fight scenes" and go into this big elaborate thing. Sure later they had to do there own fight scenes(during the Zed era I believe) but this was while they were lifting footage!

Oh and I quite watching around Turbo. I saw scenes of Lost Galaxy. It looked like they were ripping off Starship Troopers with the costumes and setting.

Guest Youth N Asia

Yeah I remember that it was called Beverly Hills something about 4 spoiled beverly hills teens that could grow into giant fighters. It was funny cause the actors playing the fighters all have some ripped muscles even the girls while the regular actors weren't built at all. The teens could then join together to form a knight.

That was the very worst of them all. Awful awful acting.

Guest ICE-MAN

I have gotten back into Power Rangers because of Ninja Storm. Back in the day I was a massive PR fan but it kinda lagged off in my high-school years. I had the figures and everything.

My favorite was Zeo. I guess because of the change of the suits, powers etc.

Next year's show will be called Dino Thunder and It'll be back to the Dinosaur zords.

If you want to learn more about the japanese shows go to http://www.supersentai.com. It has all the info on all the Japanese versions of PR. And http://www.rangercentral.com for American shows.

Those sites are great time killers.

And I remember the show on USA. It was called Tattoed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills and it was terrible

Dude, Power Rangers was the BEST!

But you know what I miss more than PR (mostly b/c PR is still on)?

Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog!

Rohan...

mysticrohan.jpg

Ivar...

mysticivar.jpg

Deirdre...

mysticdeirdre.jpg

and Angus!

mysticangus.jpg

And the fifth Mystic Knight that came in at the end of the series... Garrett!

mysticgarrett.jpg

Guest EdwardKnoxII

One of the funniest thing about the 1st Power Rangers was the Yellow Ranger. On the show it was a girl and she had decent size chest in the costume but, when they would show the Japanese footage she would be competely flat chested cause the Yellow Ranger was a guy in the Japanese one.

I'll be honest. I LOVED MMPR. The Green Ranger was the shit and so was his cool Zord. The show jumped the shark when the original 3 left...and the White Ranger showed up.

Dames

Okay everyone, after reading this thread, I got interested in PR again, and got curious, so I started looking around... and I found out what the next incarnation of PR is going to be after Ninja Storm ends... and the PR are going back to their roots!

PRDTlogo.JPG

here's pics of the five rangers and their zords:

PRDTpics.JPG

Cool, no? Here's the plot... and read VERY closely, I think you'll recognize a specific name if you're an old-school MMPR fan.

"When Dr. Anton Mercer, an evil paleontologist, unleashes his Dino Zords -- creatures of incredible strength and intelligence -- on the world, Dr. Tommy Oliver, a mild-mannered high school teacher, must stop him. Reigniting his secret past as the Black Power Ranger, Oliver recruits three students as Rangers. But can a rebellious basketball star, a beautiful loner musician, and a laid-back champion gamer become superheroes in time to vanquish Mercer and his mutant warriors?"

Yes, it seems as though the most popular ranger of all time, Tommy, is returning to action in the new series! I am totally psyched for this... I can't wait!

BTW, it is set to debut February of 2004.

EDIT: NOW the pictures work. Tripod sucks.

Guest ICE-MAN
Cool, no?  Here's the plot... and read VERY closely, I think you'll recognize a specific name if you're an old-school MMPR fan.

"When Dr. Anton Mercer, an evil paleontologist, unleashes his Dino Zords -- creatures of incredible strength and intelligence -- on the world, Dr. Tommy Oliver, a mild-mannered high school teacher, must stop him. Reigniting his secret past as the Black Power Ranger, Oliver recruits three students as Rangers. But can a rebellious basketball star, a beautiful loner musician, and a laid-back champion gamer become superheroes in time to vanquish Mercer and his mutant warriors?"

Yes, it seems as though the most popular ranger of all time, Tommy, is returning to action in the new series!  I am totally psyched for this... I can'

Don't mean to burst your bubble but the thing about Tommy coming back has been proven false.

Guest Big McLargeHuge

Tatooed Teenaged Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills.

I loved Power Rangers and although the quality may have increased over the years, I've been turned off by it. Too many cast shake-ups for my tastes. I admit it. I had become attached the 6 original characters. The Rocky/Adam/Aisha changeover didn't bother me much. When they lost their Ninja zords within like 3 seconds of having them and switched over to the Shogun zords, I started to lost interest. Then Kimberley left. And I left with her.

I still have the original Megazord... minus the Pink Ranger Zord though. I have the Green Ranger's Dragon Dagger AND the White Tiger Zord Tommy used during the Thunderzord era.

I DID see the Red Ranger Reunion Ep though. My god did it own. Sadly Rocky was the only Red Ranger missing... I think.

This thread reminded me of how much I used to love the Power Rangers. I don't think the show started to suck until Ninjor showed up. In 6th grade I decided to watch the show for the first time in about three years, but immediately quit once I saw the Rangers stuck in a giant pizza in an oven. I haven't seen anything about the Power Rangers since.

Guest starvenger
I DID see the Red Ranger Reunion Ep though. My god did it own. Sadly Rocky was the only Red Ranger missing... I think.

Forever Red was about the only good ep from Vile Force (even making it to the Ultimate Rangers DVD) but it's one of those "screw continuity" eps - otherwise Jason's still without powers and Rocky would still have the Power Coin (seeing as Adam still had his) - so Rocky not appearing doesn't bug me too much. Hey, at least he's still the blue Zeo Ranger. Funniest thing about the ep for me was seeing how they hid the red Space Ranger's 'slight' weight gain...

Don't mean to burst your bubble but the thing about Tommy coming back has been proven false.

They probably WANTED to have Jason Frank do it but he probably didn't want to travel to New Zealand to film it. Of course, he was also never a Black Ranger but I'll ignore that since it's probably a PR guy (or Jayson Blair) writing this. Still, with Disney now behind the PR machine, I'd expect that it'll be another good season, despite the crap names - and make no mistake, as much as I like Ninja Storm, it's a shitty name.

One of the funniest thing about the 1st Power Rangers was the Yellow Ranger. On the show it was a girl and she had decent size chest in the costume but, when they would show the Japanese footage she would be competely flat chested cause the Yellow Ranger was a guy in the Japanese one.

Thankfully with NS they decided to avoid that. Not really PC with 5 guys and 1 girl but I'll take it over unavoidable gender switches.

I thought Power Rangers was the biggest piece of shit to ever appear on television and pass itself off as children's entertainment.

Then I saw Pokemon ...

Guest Sturgis

VR Troopers

I use to like that show until it became repettive with Ryan and his father. But, the girl was hot :)

Beetleborgs

I thought it got good in the 2nd season when they changed costumes plus having that artist draw the villians was cool.