TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Urban Warfare

NHL Free Agency 2003

Lemelin is reaching pretty far back. Moog was pretty consistent throughout his career, I think.

I know that the Wings are prepared to eat Jospeh's salary, but he'll probably go to the Rangers if they can swing a decent deal. And that would probably mean that they could actually MAKE the playoffs.

Bah, the Rangers already have Dunham and Blackburn. They can build on them, not bring in someone with an insane salary like Cujo.

Of course, knowing the Rangers, they make him a $10 million man. *sigh*

Bah, the Rangers already have Dunham and Blackburn. They can build on them, not bring in someone with an insane salary like Cujo.

Of course, knowing the Rangers, they make him a $10 million man. *sigh*

My point exactly. The Rangers philosophy seems to be "the more $ you make, you'll be THAT much better than the people we already have."

Probably you'd have to go back to Andy Moog and Reggie Lemelin.

I was thinking of Pete Peeters, actually.

While Moog wasn't bad, Peeters was who I had in mind when I typed that. Moog wasn't at his best until he left Boston, in my eyes, where as Peeters played insane for the B's.

Moog was great in Boston, but when he left...man he had success where he went.

I feel stupid ... it was Billy Ranford who had more success when he left Boston, not Moog. They were traded for each other, and I think that's where my confusion came from. Moog was good before his time with the B's (he was part of 2 or 3 Cup teams in Edmonton) and good while he was on the B's (shared a Jennings Trophy with Lemelin) but when he left he was just OK with the Stars.

I still stand by my Peeters > Moog/Lemelin statement though.

Guest gthureson

Pete Peeters was always a product of the system.

He looked good because he played for good teams that ran solid defensive systems or were just overpowering teams.

Early 80s Flyers, the all defence, no offence Capitals, the mid to late 80s Bruins, who also played d-first cause they couldn't score that well.

While he was a good goalie, I would not put him in any kind of 'great' category.

Joe Nieuwendyk is a Toronto Maple Leaf, TSN has learned. The unrestricted free agent centre agreed to terms today on a one-year deal with the Maple Leafs. Nieuwendyk scored 14 goals and dished out 28 assists in 80 games with the New Jersey Devils last year. In 1,113 career games with the Calgary Flames, Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils, he has tallied 511 goals and 501 assists.

Well.....

Marian Gaborik is holding out, as he wants close to Vincent LeCavalier money, and is threatening to play in the Czech Elite League.

And there's this: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=53312

Giguere wants 7mil. I'm with the Ducks on this, until he proves that he's worth it, I'd stick him with an incentive deal for two years, and then see what happens.

And this picture made me choke on my iced tea:

Daneyko_63706.jpg

Daneyko is going to play one game for the Newark Bears. Does this make him the first player to play both baseball and hockey?

I'm glad they picked Nieuwendyk up, I just hope his knees hold up. Hopefully now they'll trade one of either Green or Tucker for a defenceman, which is what they really need.

Joe Nieuwendyk is a Toronto Maple Leaf, TSN has learned. The unrestricted free agent centre agreed to terms today on a one-year deal with the Maple Leafs. Nieuwendyk scored 14 goals and dished out 28 assists in 80 games with the New Jersey Devils last year. In 1,113 career games with the Calgary Flames, Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils, he has tallied 511 goals and 501 assists.

Well.....

Well, new GM John "Turd" Ferguson has gotten Svehla officially retired and signed Nieuwendyk. That's too much progress for the Leafs. Fire him!!

Well.....

Off topic... you are a Seahawk fan in CALGARY?!?

Off topic... you are a Seahawk fan in CALGARY?!?

I think Seattle might be the closest NFL team to Calgary, actually.

Plus the Stampeders are sucking this year.

Well, the guy is obviously a Canucks fan. I imagine he used to live around the Vancouver area, which is only a couple of hours away from Seattle (I'll probably catch a Seahawks game myself this year, and I'm in Vancouver)

Why the HELL can't the Bruins pick up a player like Arvedson?!? He signed a one year deal, which is wicked important for a Bruins signing. And for relatively short money too.

Dammit. At least it makes the Sens a little weaker. Which is almost as good as the Bruins getting stronger.

Wow, good news for the Nucks. I didn't expect them to do anything in free agency, so it's cool to see something happen. Here's hoping Quinn picks up a decent D-man to make up for the loss of Murray Baron.

Speaking of the Canucks:

http://www.tsn.ca/news_story.asp?ID=53440&hubName=main

They signed Magnus Arvedson. I'm still confused as to why Ottawa didn't resign him, but nonetheless, Vancouver picked up a very good player.

They have too many forwards as it is, and Arvedson was looking for too much money for what he was worth.

Why the HELL can't the Bruins pick up a player like Arvedson?!? He signed a one year deal, which is wicked important for a Bruins signing. And for relatively short money too.

Because Jeremy Jacobs is a fucking tightass, and Harry Sinden is worse.

Because Jeremy Jacobs is a fucking tightass, and Harry Sinden is worse.

Yeah, agreed that Jacobs/Sinden/MOC all suck, but Arvedson would have looked really good on the Bruins second line, putting up almost 40 points, and for not much money. Paying a guy $1.5 million isn't bad, and SHOULD have been in the Bruins price range.

They have too many forwards as it is, and Arvedson was looking for too much money for what he was worth.

Even so, he was part of the maturing core of players that they had. I pray that Spezza plays like they're expecting him to.

Even so, he was part of the maturing core of players that they had. I pray that Spezza plays like they're expecting him to.

I saw him live twice last year, and both times, he was the most exciting player on the ice. Plus, his playoff debut was the most memorable I've ever seen. He is going to be scary good.