TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest welshjerichomark

English Football

I really fancy Leeds to go down, although Man City were awful when we whupped them 3-1 on Saturday

Its obvious what clubs Adam and I support, but I was just curious as to what clubs you other guys supported?

Dave, There's ANOTHER Derby fan on this board!

His name is Caboose (also a Newcastle fan)

Poor guy, he lives in Leicester.

Come on Beattie? Come on Phillips! He's been a revelation since joining, hasn't he? He seems to have found his old form, he was getting stale at Sunderland.

Shame that as long as Heskey's in football he'll be picked for the England Squad, Heskey could play for us(not that I'd want him to) and Sven would still pick him.

When the Regular season ends, I'll be the only person on here who's team is involved in the Play Offs so that'll help keep the thread bumped for a while.To be honest I'd rather have us promoted through the Play offs than by 2nd place because it puts us on Sky,we get the short trip to Cardiff and we get a Trophy.

Fortunatly, I've never had to experience a play-off final, it just seems to nerveracking, your whole season decided on 90 minutes, phew I get wound up enough every saturday without that, as for Heskey, I think hes got incriminating pictures of Sven and is blackmailing him, thats my only explanation, phillips is a good player, but is VERY hot and cold, during some parts of the season hes been amazing, and some parts he has been plain terrible, Beatts is still my first love :D

My vote goes to keeping this thread for next season.

I reckon it's Wolves, Leicester and Man City going down this year. Possibly Leeds instead of Leicester.

There's no chance of us staying up but thanks anyway, i just can't see us winning another game to be honest. I'm looking foward to going to Highbury last game of the season, we'll already be down and the pressure will be off so the atmosphere in the away end will probably be really good like it was a couple of years ago at Southampton when some fans took the fancy dress option to laugh in the face of relegation.

Fortunatly, I've never had to experience a play-off final, it just seems to nerveracking, your whole season decided on 90 minutes, phew I get wound up enough every saturday without that, as for Heskey, I think hes got incriminating pictures of Sven and is blackmailing him, thats my only explanation, phillips is a good player, but is VERY hot and cold, during some parts of the season hes been amazing, and some parts he has been plain terrible, Beatts is still my first love :D

Derby County Vs Leicester City.

Of ALL the teams to beat us in the play-off final.

Steve Walsh.

:(

we'll already be down and the pressure will be off so the atmosphere in the away end will probably be really good like it was a couple of years ago at Southampton when some fans took the fancy dress option to laugh in the face of relegation.

Yreah, it was a good game, and good atmosphere, was that down at the first season at St.Marys?

Now that i think about it, if Leeds stay up (they're still my pick to go down, i hope they do) i hope it's Man City who go down as i believe it's the only current premiership ground i've not visited.

You arent missing much, its exceptionally flat atmosphere, we took about 4,000 there on saturday and easily outsang them, they might be depressed cos of their shit for a team, but even so

I dont know, if you come to Pride Park, even though we're in a difficult position, the ground is ALWAYS alive. Of course, our home form is brilliant at the moment (something like one defeat in 15 games)

We've scored 12 goals in the last three home games.

Wow... Something good about Derby!

A

Derby County Vs Leicester City.

Of ALL the teams to beat us in the play-off final.

Steve Walsh.

:(

A big grin just appeared on my face reading that = :D

Any Leicester fan has had enough playoff emotions to last them a lifetime....

1992: 0-1 to Blackburn with the infamous Speedie/Walsh penalty

1993: The most heartbreaking match EVER as we come back from 3-0 down vs Swindon only for a terrible late penalty to deny us.

1994: Walshie beats Derby with 5 minutes to go

1996: Claridge with 2 seconds to go, i still get emotional watching that, the look of disbelief on Claridge's face, the fans going absolutely insane and Walshie hugging O'Neil, the premiership years that followed made it all the sweeter.

Baron, if this is St Mary's 3rd season then yes. I agree about Phillips btw, great natural finisher but ever since that 30 goal year at Sunderland he goes long stretches without a goal, he's capable of something brilliant on his day though like that goal against us on the opening day of the season.

I agree, Veron looked absolutely knackered during the 2nd half and makelele should be ashamed of himself.At the start of the Evening I wanted Chelsea to win the Champions League but after seeing the effort that Monaco put in I'd love to see them win it.That's the first time I've ever seen a European team play more British than one of our own teams.

Yeah, it is our third season at St.Marys(god is it three years already), so it would have been spot on, and Chelsea were terrible in the second half, why bring on Veron when you have Joe Cole????

Does Higgy still get a game at Soton?

Yeah man, Higgys an excellent player, Im suprised you guys let him go, one of his main assets is that he works hard for the team, and that is how we play, with everyone giving 150% even at the 90th minute.

Derby have been in Financial trouble so they probably had no choice but to let him go.Either that or his contract was about to expire and they wanted to cash in.

No, it was the money situation, he went for a cut price 1.5m when we had rejected a 8m bid from of all people Rangers only one year earlier.

Why the hell did your board turn the rangers bid down? you could have bought a guaranteed 20 goals a season striker with that.

Did he ever play for the England Under 21 side? I could Understand rangers paying £6.5 million for Michael Ball as he had just received his 1st England cap and everyone thought he'd be the future England leftback, but 8 million for an uncapped player at a struggling side seems ridiculous.

Guest frowned

well it's official - the Canaries are once again flying high - Huckerby, Worthington, Delia... I thank thee.

Heres the million dollar question, can you survive, given that Delia Smith has akready said you wont be spending much money which is death in the premiership, its not 1995 anymore, the standard of football from top to bottom is exceptionally hard, just ask wolves :)

Big Rons been fired!

VERY stupid thing to say as well, although Desailly had a few 'errors'

As for the Higginbotham issue, he was worth it, he formed possibly the best partnership in the defence bar maybe two or three with Riggott, and with Christie and Morris up front, the future was looking good for us.

Of course, they were all sold, and now the future is looking good again, we have a LOT of good young players, Huddlestone is a lock for a full England cap one day, as is Lee Grant and maybe even young Lee Holmes.

Guest frowned
Heres the million dollar question, can you survive, given that Delia Smith has akready said you wont be spending much money which is death in the premiership, its not 1995 anymore, the standard of football from top to bottom is exceptionally hard, just ask wolves :)

tis a fair point and I don't honestly expect to see us outside the bottom 6-8 all season. On the positive side we do have an absolutely ace manager - the best we've had since Martin O'Neill by far, he's a decent tactician, knows his players and guarantees that any money spent will be done so hella-sensibly, and there really is some genuine class in the team - it doesn't run through out, but it's there regardless - Green and Huckerby jump out from a mile and that's without mentioning the latest products of the youth system and a pretty solid midfield.

But as supporters we are by no means kidding ourselves, we may be probably the strongest team in Division 1 (and I don't mean to be blindly bragging - we've shown ourselves to be consistant all season) but we will obviously struggle in the Premiership. But we're enjoying ourselves at the moment, we have a four game race for the championship, a big premiership payday ahoy and plenty of promise on the horizon - it's just not going to be an easy ride.

You have to remember Pompey running away with Division one and look at them now.

Of course, you have to look at Birmingham too, they came up and look at them now.

It's not a lock that Norwich are going straight back, and as my second favourite team (check the archives! i'm not saying that because they won the league :lol:) i hope they can achieve the early 90's success.