29. Rollerball (1975) James Caan, John Houseman: future sports

30. The Rookie (2002) Dennis Quaid, Rachel Griffiths: baseball

31. Baseball - A film by Ken Burns (1994) Documentary: baseball

32. Vision Quest (1985) Matthew Modine, Linda Fiorentino: wrestling

33. Fat City (1972) Stacy Keach, Jeff Bridges: boxing

34. Everybody's All-American (1988) Dennis Quaid, Jessica Lange: football

35. Million Dollar Legs (1932) W.C. Fields, Jack Oakie: Olympics

36. Jerry Maguire (1996) Tom Cruise, Cuba Gooding Jr.: football

37. The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (1971) Arthur Brauss, Erika Pluhar: soccer

38. Field of Dreams (1989) Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones: baseball

39. The Harder They Fall (1956) Humphrey Bogart, Rod Steiger: boxing

40. The Longest Yard (1974) Burt Reynolds, Eddie Albert: football

41. Remember The Titans (2000) Denzel Washington, Will Patton: football

42. The Pride of the Yankees (1942) Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright: baseball

43. Fists of Fury (1971) Bruce Lee, Maria Yi: martial arts

44. The Deadliest Season (1977) Michael Moriarty, Kevin Conway: hockey

45. Grand Prix (1966) James Garner, Eva Marie Saint: auto racing

46. Any Given Sunday (1999) Al Pacino, Cameron Diaz: football

47. It Happens Every Spring (1949) Ray Milland, Jean Peters: baseball

48. The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings (1976) Billy Dee Williams, Richard Pryor: baseball

49. Phar Lap (1983) Tom Burlinson, Ron Liebman: horse racing

50. Best In Show (2000) Christopher Guest, Eugene Levy: dog shows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a bad list, but they also had a 10 worst in the same mag and The Program, The Legend of Bagger Vance, Days of Thunder, and The Replacements were on it. I think that there are at least four movies on the top 50 that suck worse then these, IMO.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Bull Durham higher then caddyshack? Higher then Raging Bull? Higher then Chariots of Fire?

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

The Replacements was better then Rollerball, either of them, and National Velvet.

Guest Flyboy
Rudy was x100 better than the Replacements AND Rollerball and it even isn't on the list.

43. Fists of Fury (1971) Bruce Lee, Maria Yi: martial arts

I guess they are referring to The Big Boss. I don't really see what a guy getting revenge at an Ice Factory in Thailand really has to do with sports.

I'm kinda wondering where was Slapshot...

then i spot it at number 5... a little low IMO.

Low, you expected it to be 4 or higher? It was a good movie, but not top 5, IMO.

And Rudy was good, but my point with THe Replacements is that it should be on the best list and not the worst. Right along with Days and Legend of Bagger Vance.

I somewhat agree with The Replacements being on the worst list. I never really liked it much. There's only a few funny parts, IMO.

One question... where's Major League?

I've seen most of those. There's a few on there I'm surprised by, such as Bingo Long and Grand Prix, which are actually decent little movies. I love The Longest Yard and North Dallas Forty. Slap Shot is awesome and I think it gets ranked so high as being about the only good and well-known hockey film. And if they consider dog shows to be a sport, then they have to consider pool, so why isn't The Hustler or Color of Money on the list anywhere?

And Vision Quest? OMGWTFWWJD!

Bull Durham higher then caddyshack? Higher then Raging Bull? Higher then Chariots of Fire?

You had to have known that SI would have used their infatuation with all things baseball to make sure that a baseball movie was #1. I'm surprised they didn't sneak Bull Durham in a few more times while they were at it. (instead of just limiting it to the top choice, why not give it a few more spots as well?!?)

WrestlingDeacon, The Hustler is on the list, at # 23.

And count me among the people who are wondering how Slapshot can be behind Hoop Dreams. One is still considered a classic 25 years after it came out. The other is an afterthought.

Good ol' Sport Illustrated, reminding me why I cancelled my subscription after almost 20 years of subscribing.

OK, they have Pumping Iron, Rollerball, Fist Of Fury and Best In Show on the list, so I must ask this question: How did Backyard Dogs not make the 10 worst list?

The lesson to be learned here is that I will continue to look to ESPN.com Page 2 for irreverent things about sports, like TMQ's cheerleader of the week.

WHERE THE FUCK IS 'ESCAPE TO VICTORY'? Stupid American list!

That film is the classic 'boys own' sports film in cinema history, 'The Great Escape' made into a football flick for the ages (the proper game which is actually played with your feet). The moment when Pele busts the Nazi's net with an overhead kick and when Officer Max Von Sydow leads the applause to acknowledge the skill and bravery of the Allied team is a perfect symbol of the 'beautiful game' itself.

Kes could have been included as well just for the classic football scene in PE class with Brian Glover cheating like a bastard. Pure GOLD.

Fuck that stupid list

That film is the classic 'boys own' sports film in cinema history, 'The Great Escape' made into a football flick for the ages (the proper game which is actually played with your feet). The moment when Pele busts the Nazi's net with an overhead kick and when Officer Max Von Sydow leads the applause to acknowledge the skill and bravery of the Allied team is a perfect symbol of the 'beautiful game' itself.

Kes could have been included as well just for the classic football scene in PE class with Brian Glover cheating like a bastard. Pure GOLD.

Fuck that stupid list

I really don't care for the list either, but that's no reason to bash America. If you have that big a problem with this country then maybe you should get the fuck off of an American message board. ;)

The people at SI are on Rock!!

There should be no way a lame ass movie like "A league of their own" should be considered in higher standing than a classic like "Rudy".

Fuck SI. Rudy 0wns your face.

Rudy > SI

And count me among the people who are wondering how Slapshot can be behind Hoop Dreams. One is still considered a classic 25 years after it came out. The other is an afterthought.

Although you make an argument that 'Hoop Dreams' isn't essentially a film about Basketball (i.e i'ts just the backdrop to a wider social issues/commentary) maybe its ahead of Slap Shot because its just a more engaging, emotional and important film. Your assessment of the two films status is curious to say the least. Hoop Dreams is widely considered more of a 'classic' (rather more as flawed but fascinating in truth) than 'Slap Shot' could ever hope to be, 'minor cult film' would be a more appropriate and truthful title for it.

Guest Sturgis
OK, they have Pumping Iron, Rollerball, Fist Of Fury and Best In Show on the list, so I must ask this question: How did Backyard Dogs not make the 10 worst list?

Maybe because it's not a sport

Fuck that stupid list

I really don't care for the list either, but that's no reason to bash America. If you have that big a problem with this country then maybe you should get the fuck off of an American message board. ;)

You're not too bright are you?

That line was purely in jest my brainless friend (check the exclamation point you thick cunt!!!). I would be offended by your accusation but after re-reading my post I think most sane people will come to the obvious conclusion that you are one ignorantly thick little shit. I don't know if you really are as dim as you appear or whether you're just trying to start crap for the sake of it but either add something worthwhile to a thread for once in your life or shut the fuck up.

Carry on everyone, nothing to see here.

Now why did you go and make this personal? All I did was let you know that I didn't like you taking a jab at my country. You are calling me brainless yet you have to call me 3rd grade names to defend yourself. I never flamed or attacked you. You really should grow up and learn how to take criticism.

For once, since you have already showed your maturity level, I will be the bigger man here and get this thread back on track.

Fuck that stupid list

In the US, the movie is known as "Victory" and you can note that it also stars Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine. And how can you not note that it's directed by John Huston. It's a pretty good movie and I like it. It has a lot in common with The Longest Yard in the staging and how playing scenes are shot. You also have that "inmates vs. the guards" type storyline going on. If you like Victory, I highly recommend that you check out The Longest Yard.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20
10. When We Were Kings (1996) Documentary: boxing

30. The Rookie (2002) Dennis Quaid, Rachel Griffiths: baseball

41. Remember The Titans (2000) Denzel Washington, Will Patton: football

Good.

Somebody notices.

I thought both The Rookie and Remember The Titans were VERY underrated.

And... WHAT THE FUCK? NO MR.BASEBALL ?

Tom Selleck & Dennis Haysbert > You

Dear Johnson, that post seemed a touch familiar.

Ok, you made an incredibly dumb and completely groundless accusation and told me to fuck off for good measure so I slapped your wrists for being so silly. I don't think tone of my response was innapropriate in the slightest considering how hostile, immature and plain dumb your original post was and you deserve another slap for being such a hypocritical prat in your second post but I guess i'm too late as you've already claimed victory in this one. You're welcome to the 'glory', i'll concede before my remaining brain cells melt.

Twat.

Edited by Anorak

Fuck that stupid list

In the US, the movie is known as "Victory" and you can note that it also stars Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine. And how can you not note that it's directed by John Huston. It's a pretty good movie and I like it. It has a lot in common with The Longest Yard in the staging and how playing scenes are shot. You also have that "inmates vs. the guards" type storyline going on. If you like Victory, I highly recommend that you check out The Longest Yard.

I don't really think of it as a John Huston film as much as the film where Pele, Michael Caine and Sly Stallone thrash the Nazi's as football. I like the comparison you made between between 'Escape' and 'The Longest Yard', both have really long and dramatic matches played out and engage your emotions in similar ways.

I'm disappointed that Major League isn't on the list, and that Best in Show, one of the funniest movies that I've ever seen, isn't on there.

Slapshot could have snuck into the top 3, IMO, but I'm hockey biased.

And Rudy should have been on there.

Maybe because it's not a sport

And bodybuilding, roller derby and a dog show are? Martial arts nowadays is considered a sport, but calling a Bruce Lee movie a sports movie is really stretching it.

My point was that SI was playing very loose with the definition of a "sports movie", so something like Backyard Dogs can fit in there, as they play fast and loose between works and shoot(out)s.

Hell, since they've got competitions on their top 50, put Highlander on there since it's a 'competition' between swordsmen where you try not to get your head lopped off...