TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman9000

2003 IWA-MS Ted Petty Invitational Thread

First, if you haven't seen the 2002 TPI ::glares at Jay:: BUY IT NOW! NOW! You should have got it yesterday! Well worth the $35 at SMV.

Already announced for the 24 man, single elimination tournament:

1. Danny Daniels (IWA-MS Heavyweight Champion)

2. Chris Hero (2000 TPI/Sweet Science 16 winner)

3. Jimmy Rave

4. Jimmy Jacobs (HUSS!)

5. Alex Shelley

6. Colt Cabana

7. BJ Whitmer (2002 TPI winner)

8. Ace Steel (2001 SS16/TPI winner)

9. B-Boy

10. Sonjay Dutt

11. Jonny Storm

12. A.J. Styles

13. Trent Acid

14. Homicide

15. ?

16. ?

17. ?

18. ?

19. ?

20. ?

21. ?

22. ?

23. ?

24. ?

Don't know who the rest are going to be, but I'll toss out Jody Fleisch, Doug Williams, Nigel McGuiness, Ian Rotten, JC Bailey, Corporal Robinson, Nate Webb, Tracy Smothers, Chris Sabin, and Jerry Lynn.

Tourny scheduled for November 8th and 9th, I believe, so there will be lots of bumping of this motha.

Ye thoughts, predictions, wants, insults, etc...?

I'm glad that Storm has been booked for the show. The fact he is one of the early names makes it seem like hes more than just an after thought, and perhaps he could end up doing quite well.

Like you suggested, Fliesch and Williams will be welcome additions IMO.

With this thread being so early, I hope it does better than my early Uprising 2 thread :huh: .

Looking at how hard they're pushing Nigel, he'll be there. I bet Tracy, JC Bailey, and possibly Sabin are in. I hope Jerry Lynn isn't in it; he half-asses at IWA shows. I hope Truth Martini, Matt Stryker, and at least one more Wildside guy (coughSAL~!cough.....make it happen, Ian!) make it in.

Guest trickstyle_360

I believe Nigel is already announced for it, so there's nine spots left.

I don't know if there is a review anywhere, but I can tell you that the show is great, Night I is awesome and Night II is even better. A.J. Styles vs. Christopher Daniels and C.M. Punk vs. Christopher Daniels are worth your money alone.

Guest Joe_G

I call a finals of Shelly, Jacobs, and Hero, with Shelley going over.

There's a ton of indy guys they can bring in...I certainly hope Corporal Robinson isn't in it.

And the 2002 TPI is definitely worth getting. So's the 2001 SS16, even though the booking's weird and there's a lot of crap, including one of the worst matches in human history between Cash Flo and some ICP turd.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Sandman, you know my financial situation quite well. I'm getting it soon dammit!

My early pick to win based on this field: either Jimmy Rave or Jimmy Jacobs. Discuss.

NEW INFO WARRANTING A BUMP~!

IWA Mid-South Hardcore Wrestling will present its second annual Ted Petty Invitational Tournament (formerly known as Sweet Science Sixteen during 2000 and 2001) on Friday and Saturday night, November 7th and 8th. This two night 24 man single elimination scientific wrestling tournament will take place at Salem High School, located at 700 N. Harrison Street in Salem, Indiana. Bell time each night is 7:30pm Central. Tickets are $50 for a two night weekend pass for first and second row.

The Updated List:

#1: Colt Cabana

#2: Chris Hero (2000 Sweet Science 16 Winner)

#3: Jimmy "Hussboy" Jacobs

#4: Chris "Hail" Sabin

#5: Jonny Storm

#6: Trent Acid

#7: A.J. Styles

#8: Danny Daniels (IWA-MS Heavyweight Champion)

#9: Sonjay Dutt (IWA-MS LightHeavyweight Champion)

#10: Nigel McGuinness

#11: Truth Martini

#12: Matt Stryker

#13: JC Bailey

#14: Alex Shelley

#15: Dino Bambino

#16: BJ Whitmer (2002 SS16/TPI Winner)

#17: Jimmy Rave

#18: Jerry Lynn

#19: B-Boy

#20: ?

#21: ?

#22: ?

#23: ?

#24: ?

Interesting to note that B-Boy, Ace Steel, and Homicide were originally announced for the show, and now are not booked. Homicide might have Z-1 bookings, B-Boy's contemplating retirement (hopefully he'll reconsider), and who knows about Indy Benoit.

Winner? Eh, with IWA-MS's past history of tournys, Whitmer's the safe choice. My pick, however, is Alex Shelley, and this could be the springboard used to vault him past his status as "that guy who wrestles the guy with the furry boots" and into awareness. For a guy who's hasn't been wrestling a long time, he's awesome, and a win here would go wonders towards establishing him.

Ye thoughts again?

Edited by Sandman9000

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

This is definitely Alex Shelley's year, and well-deserved. The guy is a freaking prodigy, and a future superstar. Chris Hero basically said the same thing on "We Are Family"-that he's a sure bet to win the whole thing.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Holy Sh-it thats an amazing looking field already.

I really hope they dont add too much garbage wrestlers like Necro Butcher to stink it up, but the whole show should be on

I wont dare predict a winner until i see the final listing, though

And since when has B-Boy been contemplating retiring???

Holy Sh-it thats an amazing looking field already.

I really hope they dont add too much garbage wrestlers like Necro Butcher to stink it up, but the whole show should be on

I wont dare predict a winner until i see the final listing, though

And since when has B-Boy been contemplating retiring???

He's holding off on competing right now, I believe due to his mother falling ill.

Last six people, let's have some fun, I'll say Corp (who can actually wreslte, and will prob just serve a job boy for someone), Nate Webb, Ken Anderson, Frankie Kazarian, Brad Bradley, and Adam Flash. I'm going under the assumption that Homicide, B-Boy, and Ace Steel won't be participating. If B-Boy does decide to return to wrestling, put him in and take Flash out.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

I'm suprised they haven't given someone like Qeenan Creed a call for this tourny: He can wrestle damn good, and he's not expensive talent, so it'd be profitable. Plus, we need a brother in the tourny :)

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Six guys I'd like to see:

Nate Webb

Insane Dragon (this guy is incredible, and he gets almost ZERO exposure)

Sal Rinauro (exposure outside Wildside is LONG overdue for him)

Ray Gordy

Nick Mondo (if he's healed by then, doubtful)

Messiah (sucker can wrestle his ass off when he wants to)

-I'm wondering what the hell happened to Ace Steel though.

Guest Devin
He's holding off on competing right now, I believe due to his mother falling ill.

Grandmother

Insane Dragon (this guy is incredible, and he gets almost ZERO exposure)

I could be wrong here, but isn't Insane Dragon "Izzy" from Special K in ROH?

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

One and the same, yes. But being Izzy- 1/1000th of Special K, isn't proper exposure for Insane Dragon, probably THE most spectacular cruiser on the indies.

My obvious choice: SAL~! Honestly, the guy can go, even with all the silliness that surrounds him.

Also...

Tracy F-cking Smothers. 'Nuff said.

Seth DeLay

Azrael (Another guy who doesn't get nearly enough outside bookings)

Nate or Corp. (representing the DM guys who can work)

Ray Gordy

This is definitely Alex Shelley's year, and well-deserved. The guy is a freaking prodigy, and a future superstar. Chris Hero basically said the same thing on "We Are Family"-that he's a sure bet to win the whole thing.

Who knows, it looks like there is another wrestler who owns Hero's heart....

huss_and_hero_holding_hands.jpg

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Who knows, it looks like there is another wrestler who owns Hero's heart....

huss_and_hero_holding_hands.jpg

I love that photo.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Anyway, in a slight update, Ace Steel pulled out of the TPI because he signed with NOAH.

If anybody would be interesting in actually going to this show, check out iwabustrips.com , the trip is actually a pretty sweet deal.

Now YOU can vote for the last five guys in the TPI. Click HERE to add your suggestions. Remember, VOTE SAL.

Hope they actually listen to those votes, Because thankfully it looks like Bobby Quance and Super Dragon are running away with it.

From the latest IWA-MS newsletter thingy....

"The 24 men competing in the two night single elimination tournament are: "Classic" Colt Cabana, Chris Hero, "Barbabric Berzerker" Jimmy Jacobs, B-Boy, Chris Sabin, Jonny Storm, Trent Acid, AJ Styles, Danny Daniels, Sonjay Dutt, Nigel McGuinness, Truth Martini, Matt Stryker, JC Bailey, Alex Shelley, Dino Bambino, BJ Whitmer, Jimmy Rave, "Spyder" Nate Webb, "Anarchist" Arik Cannon, M-Dogg 20, Josh Prohibition, "Kamikaze" Ken Anderson, and Jerry Lynn. "

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

*bump*

Here's the field in list format, for easier readability:

- Danny Daniels

- Chris Hero

- Jimmy Jacobs

- JC Bailey

- Alex Shelley

- Nate Webb

- Colt Cabana

- Nigel McGuinness

- Truth Martini

- Chris Sabin

- Matt Stryker

- Dino Bambino

- BJ Whitmer

- Jimmy Rave

- Jerry Lynn

- Sonjay Dutt

- Jonny Storm

- B-Boy

- Trent Acid

- AJ Styles

- Arik Cannon

- M-Dogg 20

- Josh Prohibition

- Ken Anderson

The last four to me were a pretty big disappointment, as only one guy from that suggestions list actually got booked (Arik Cannon), M-Dogg 20 had a pretty embarassing match at last year's TPI (vs. Punk) and Ken Anderson, at least to me, is a total unknown.

However, that doesn't take away from the fact that Ian got some HUGE, elite names for the show, and it'll be just as good as last year, if not better.