TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Choken One

Playmakers

Guest Choken One

I don't think I've been so hyped to see a new tv show ever before like I am for Playmakers and it's gotten HUGE reviews...

I smell a new edition to my MUST SEE OR I'LL DIE tv roster that consists of

24...Shield...Sopranos...

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

This show is really looking to be good. I'll watch it. I do think ESPN showed a little too much of the show in the previews. We already know who gets hurt, in a fight, and arrested.

Guest El Satanico

It's been getting good reviews?

Well that moves it from a "I'll probably check it out" show to a "I'll set tivo now" show.

Guest Choken One

I read some where it said "A Reality Shaking ground breaking eye opener" or something and according to Page two it had good reviews

It's on right now, its awesome in my oppinion, and right now its fucking commerical FREE!!!!!My must watches are Shield and Sopranos but this is prob. another one....I hope this series ends before January when Shield starts...I also cant believe its TV-MA at 8 PM.

This show is pretty phat so far, but I believe it is just commerical free for the first show.

Harris just said shit too, that is the first time I heard shit said on ESPN.

Damn that was a good episode, hopefully they can keep it up for the whole season.

I liked how each story was narrated by the character of the story. I've never seen that before in a series.

I found a new favorite show; it's still no Buffy though.

I saw the last 15 minutes...a little far fetched all that shit to go down an hour before the game but whatever...it was okay. But my advice to ESPN is let ABC show it and keep network like dramas off your fuckin' channel. The point of the channel is to report real sports not make believe.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

I was disapointed. It was no more then a pro version of The Program in television form.

I was disapointed. It was no more then a pro version of The Program in television form.

What? The Program was a decent movie, this show was much better.

They had an interview with the program director of ESPN yesterday on the Jim Rome show and they said this Series is gonna break the rules for regular network cable channels(meaning non-premium) as far as language & Nudity go. I am suprised and fucking HAPPY.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

Soap opera with football thrown in the middle.

Lots of unlikely events that happen maybe once in a lifetime all happen within 45 minutes.

Just a bit too far fetched for me.

Soap opera with football thrown in the middle.

Lots of unlikely events that happen maybe once in a lifetime all happen within 45 minutes.

Just a bit too far fetched for me.

All dramas are like that; basically soap operas. Hell, wrestling is a soap opera!

I just had a bad outlook on the show going in because it seemed to be too much "We're edgy, see we say shit and do drugs" type of mentality behind the show.

The 10-15 minutes of the show I saw didn't impress me enough to change my mind about it. I did like the World Series of Poker on before it though.

Guest El Satanico

Well ESPN already broke the language cable barrier with the Bobby Knight movie.

FX already broke the rest of the Cable barriers.

How was that movie?

Guest El Satanico

I don't believe I saw the entire thing. But from what I remember seeing and from what I've heard, it was good.

That is what I mean though. I should have elaborated on that a little. That is the same problem I have with that Nip/Tuck show. They broke the barrier so now everything coming down the pike is trying to be another Shield and just because you say shit and show a guys BUTT doesn't mean that is going to happen.

Plus I usually don't like sports shows in general, because the sports themselves are such drama that shows about them will rarely compare to the real thing.

Guest El Satanico

The entertainment news programs(garbage like Extra) make Nip/Tuck sound alot worse than it is.

Sure they have some stuff that's surprising to see on Cable, but from what I've seen the show isn't really going out of it's way to be shocking.

Shocking to american TV veiwers is Sunday morning Television to Europe, so blah I don't consider anything on american TV shocking.

How was that movie?

Bad. It was funny though.It's basically Knight swearing the entie time.

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

Yeah, the only good thing about that Knight movie was that I decided to read the book, because I knew it couldn't be that bad.

That's what scares about ESPN and movies.

They took Season on the Brink, one of the greatest books of any genre I've ever read, and made that piece of crap? And now they're working off their own material with Playmakers? Yikes!

I didn't get a chance to see it tonight (I will, eventually), but from everything I've seen and read, Playmakers is all the language and dirt of the Sopranos without any of the substance.

I wish ESPN would just stick to sports.

Its funny.

Some of my friends feel that way too much happens in an episode of 24 for it to be realistic, but I balk at that. I felt that too much stuff happened in Playmakers for it to be realistic and my friends balk at that. I find it funny that Imagine Entertainment is behind it, and it felt like 24 (with the 3 hours to kickoff thing ticking down)..it felt like an episode of 24 built around a football game and I half expected Jack Bauer to bust in there and go "Theres A Bomb in the stadium, everyone calm down!" or something.

I doubt I'll go out of my way to watch it next time.

As far as cable barriers go, did anyone see "Most controversial videos" on MTV2 a few weeks ago. I was really surprised because they usually bleep out stuff like "gun" and "drugs" on MTV, but on that, they not only let the fuck word go repeatedly, they even showed titties. Like fading in and out, closeups and everything. I didn't even know they could do that on cable.

I think I'll catch one of the repeats and form my own opinion.

though I doubt that ESPN did this series just to be shocking. The real world of pro sports can be much MUCH seedier than any of us realize or see on tv.

Guest Choken One
As far as cable barriers go, did anyone see "Most controversial videos" on MTV2 a few weeks ago. I was really surprised because they usually bleep out stuff like "gun" and "drugs" on MTV, but on that, they not only let the fuck word go repeatedly, they even showed titties. Like fading in and out, closeups and everything. I didn't even know they could do that on cable.

ESPN and FX and MTV are BASIC cable shows...

MTV2 is usually Paid for in a digital Package...so it's not BASIC CABLE.

Guest Goodear

I saw maybe the last hlaf of the show and I think the problem that is going to eventually surface is a lack of likable characters. Right now from what I can see, there is only the aging running back and the middle linebacker that doesn't want to play to sort of pull for. But with a steroid and adultery storyline winding around the corner for the RB in the next episode, I sort of have my doubts that he'll be someone I'll be investing emoition in.

I saw the last 15 minutes...a little far fetched all that shit to go down an hour before the game but whatever...it was okay. But my advice to ESPN is let ABC show it and keep network like dramas off your fuckin' channel. The point of the channel is to report real sports not make believe.

Took the words right out of my fucking mouth ... ESPN is becoming like another MTV. Rather than just play what they're known for (e.g. sports or videos) they play self-produced TV shows that have something to do with what the network is supposed to be showing (e.g. rather than show a baseball game, they'll show a 1-hour show about a baseball player)