TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Official College Football thread

Guest Choken One

Heh...Your national title game is locked.

OKLA VS USC!

Battle of the Ratings stinkers!

What the fuck? Since when does MAC have a football ownage? I expect MAYBE a cinderella team come March Madness but not FOOTBALL.

Well Marshall has been very good in recent years with Chad Pennington and Byron Leftwich at quarterback. This year Marshall is probably the 4th best team in the conference.

Congrats to the MAC, and it would be sweet, but there's no way Northern will go undefeated this year, I think sooner or later (even if its as late as the MAC title game) they'll lose. And even if they went undefeated they will not get a BCS game. Just think who the two BCS at-larges were last year (Iowa & USC) two teams who lost early, then got real hot and most people felt they were both two of the top 5 teams in the nation before the bowls.

And as always it will come down to money, and I just don't know if DeKalb can put asses in the seats.

Living in Ohio, I am amazed by how ESPN & other media outlets are usually surprised by the MAC's success during non-conference games each year. I think a big thing that makes MAC schools competetive is they are right in the heart of football country (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan) to recruit, so even if the best go to play in the Big Ten, there's gonna be some damn good players out there still.

Heh...Your national title game is locked.

OKLA VS USC!

Battle of the Ratings stinkers!

Ratings stinkers? :huh:

Anyways after there usual beating of Texas in a few weeks Oklahoma's toughest game left is at Colorado. Now Colorado has looked like shit for the last two weeks but they are always better later in the season and Boulder can be a tough place to win. That being said there schedule definently looks favorable the rest of the way.

USC doesn't play Oregon this year and gets Washington St. at home and those two appear to be their main competition in the conference. They play Arizona St. on the road in two weeks but ASU looked like shit tonight against Iowa and was unimpresive beating nobodies to start the season so I expect USC will win there. They play Notre Dame on the road still but Notre Dame looks like crap so that should be a win and then what might be there toughest game left is at Washington. I just don't know how good Washington is since they got blown out by Ohio St. and we've seen what they've done since and UW has been beaten up on such powerhouses as Indiana and Idaho since. Right now I just don't see anyone beating USC.

Don't forget the shot of a KSU-OU Big XII title game

(unless K-State fucks up some more in the conference)

the last time they had the Cats and Sooners in the Big 12 title game, it was also in Kansas City and OU barely won.

What about an OU/Miami title game?

What if OSU beats OU again?

Guest Choken One

I was calling them ratings stinkers becaus ABC wouldn't be happy with that Natl. Title game after last year having two major name schools getting a big ratings score...

Miami/OSU could very well have the rematch...

I was calling them ratings stinkers becaus ABC wouldn't be happy with that Natl. Title game after last year having two major name schools getting a big ratings score...

Oklahoma and USC aren't major schools? Oooookaaaay.

Need to brush up on your college football history. ;)

Guest Smark-Raving Mad

Damn, Pitt didn't even make it to the Texas A&M game. The Big East is in good hands. :rolleyes:

USC would really have to have some kind of big foulup or a bunch of injuries to key players in order to not go undefeated. They're so much better than the other Pac-10 teams it isn't even funny. Oklahoma is the best team in the nation, but it's going to be hard to get through the Big 12 unscathed. Ohio State juuuuuuuuuuust gets by everyone every week, but they find a way to pull their butts from the fire every week it seems. I think they still will lose this season though. Miami...we'll see if they can get by FSU and Virginia Tech.

Apparently now just having the Heisman hype is enough to doom players. Chris Perry was the favorite before Oregon held him to 30 yards. Does anyone want a Heisman?

No team is immune to losing the random game against someone that they really shouldn't. We call those upsets, and the rest of these people who say that these other teams should have no problem going undefeated said the same thing I just implied.

Either way, I'll be happy if any non-Florida SEC team is playing for the national championship.

I'm Bored...so here is your AP/Fuck ESPN Top 25 rundown:

1. Oklahoma - won vs. UCLA 59-24; You could see this coming a mile away as UCLA just isn't that good. How the fuck do you give three punt return touchdowns?; next week: idle

2. Miami - won at Boston College 33-14; Hey look Doug Flutie doesn't play for BC anymore so would people stop picking BC to upset them every year?; next week: idle

3. Michigan - lost at Oregon 27-31; So much for a national title. So much for Chris Perry winning the Heisman. So much for John Navarre being loved by the Michigan fans. It was nice for a week.; next week: vs. Indiana

4. USC - idle; next week: at California

5. Ohio St. - won vs. Bowling Green 24-17; The Triple H of college football. Do nothing the entire game and they pull a sledgehammer out (Will Allen serving as the sledge this week) and knock their opponent out for the win; next week: vs. Northwestern

6. Kansas St. - lost vs. Marshall 20-27; Like Texas last week I applaud K-State eliminating themselves from national title hopes early instead of just dissapointing their fans late in the season. 48-10 huh?; next week: idle

7. Georgia - lost at LSU 10-17; Tough loss here but they'll drop the least of the high ranked teams to lose this week.; next week: idle

8. Virginia Tech - won vs. Texas A&M 35-19; Wow this team is probably going to be #5 in the new poll and all anyone talk about is there back-up quarterback; next week: vs. Connecticut

9. Pittsburgh - lost at Toledo 31-35; Bruce Gradkowski OWNZ Rod Rutherford.; next week: at Texas A&M

10. Florida St. - won vs. Colorado; If they don't win the ACC it will be the biggest upset of the year.; next week: at Duke

11. LSU - won vs. Georgia 17-10; They've been kinda like the Texas of the SEC over the years as they can never win the big one. They be for real this year.; next week: at Mississippi St.

12. Tennessee - won at Florida 24-10; They're baaaaaaack.; next week: vs. South Carolina

13. Texas - won at Rice 48-7; *pats Texas on the head* There, there those mean top schools won't hurt you this week. What a joke this team will probalby be back in the Top 10 this week.; Next week: vs. Tulane

14. Arkansas - won vs. North Texas 31-7; Now THEY should be in the Top 10 this week. Hopefully the voters will correct their mistake this week and rank them above Texas.; next week: at Alabama

15. Nebraska - idle; next week: at Southern Miss

16. Arizona St. - lost at Iowa 2-21; Can you say overrated? So much for being a "sleeper" team. Hey remember when Andrew Walter was good?; next week: at Oregon St.

17. Florida - lost vs. Tennesee 10-24; Yes they played Miami tough but they got punked out in this one. They should drop out of the top 25 but will likely stay in.; next week: at Kentucky

18. Iowa - won vs. Arizona St. 21-2; Hey they might be on to something here. Can history repeat itself this year? I doubt it but wouldn't put it past them at this point.; next week: at Michigan St.

19. Washington - won vs. Idaho 45-14; Wow I'd hate to see what Ohio St. would have done to Idaho. I'm not sold on UW at all.; next week: vs. STANFORD~

20. TCU - won vs. Vanderbilt 30-14; Have a shot to go undefeated but struggled in the first half against freakn' Vandy so not so sure now. *Looks at next week's opponent*. Oh they'll win 52-7.; next week: at Arizona

21. Alabama - lost vs. Northern Illinois 16-19; They should be forced on probation for a performance like this! Oh wait. MAC OWNZ!; next week: vs. Arkansas

22. Oregon - won vs. Michigain 31-27; Hey didn't think they had it in them. Who knew they had a defense after all?; next week: vs. Washington St.

23. Missouri - won vs. Middle Tennesse St. 41-40; Woah what the fuck happened here? Almost losing to a team from the SUN BELT? Haven't seen one highlight of this so maybe Missouri destroyed the film; next week: at Kansas

24. Washington St. - won vs. New Mexico 23-13; Errr uhh I don't know, New Mexico is OK but figured this would be a bigger win. Tough team to figure out at this point. Have a better idea next week.; next week: at Oregon

25. Purdue - won vs. Arizona 59-7; *points U of A in the direction of I-AA*. Hey blew out a Pop Warner team which is what your supposed to do.; next week: vs. Notre Dame

There you ummm...go.

There is a difference between being a major school and a big name school. OU and USC have great histories and are great teams, but they are not going to have anyone in the eastern half of the county interested. (well, casual fans, diehard fans will watch any two teams) And losing the east coast drives television people nuts. If you ask people in the east to name 15 college football teams those two might come up.

There is a difference between being a major school and a big name school. OU and USC have great histories and are great teams, but they are not going to have anyone in the eastern half of the county interested. (well, casual fans, diehard fans will watch any two teams) And losing the east coast drives television people nuts. If you ask people in the east to name 15 college football teams those two might come up.

Bah New York dictates t.v. ratings and they don't give a shit about college football. Remember the #2 market is L.A....hmmm where does USC play?

Fuck the east coast!

No team is immune to losing the random game against someone that they really shouldn't. We call those upsets, and the rest of these people who say that these other teams should have no problem going undefeated said the same thing I just implied.

Either way, I'll be happy if any non-Florida SEC team is playing for the national championship.

You're right. Any team can have a bad game and lose. Oklahoma's done it two consecutive years. The SEC is such a tough conference that it will be hard to go undefeated.

Does LA really care about football either?

And don't get me wrong, I don't care who the two teams are. But I seriously doubt you would get two teams that aren't too sexy TV wise in the east. And I can't see a network not getting a team they want in there somehow. And yes I believe the BCS is a big conspiracy with the TV companies.

Does LA really care about football either?

And don't get me wrong, I don't care who the two teams are. But I seriously doubt you would get two teams that aren't too sexy TV wise in the east. And I can't see a network not getting a team they want in there somehow. And yes I believe the BCS is a big conspiracy with the TV companies.

Well okay got me there...I don't know if L.A. cares about ANYTHING.

Yes BCS is definently a conspiracy between the NCAA and ABC and ESPN. *hears a gun shot*

Please leave the BCS alone.

What team besides maybe Notre Dame has any appeal outside of the region of the country they play in? Miami... Do the people in Miami even care about Miami?

New AP Top 25/Fuck ESPN Poll is out:

1. Oklahoma

2. Miami

3. USC

4. Ohio State

5. Virginia Tech

6. Florida State

7. LSU

8. Tennessee

9. Arkansas

10. Oregon

11. Michigan

12. Georgia

13. Iowa

14. Texas

15. Nebraska

16. Kansas State

17. Pittsburgh

18. Washington

19. TCU

20. Northern Illinois

21. Washington State

22. Purdue

23. Missouri

24. Minnesota

25. Florida

Dropped out: Arizona State, Alabama

Other receiving votes:

26. Toledo

27. N.C. State

28. Arizona State

29. Louisville

30. Wake Forest

31. Bowling Green

32. Virginia

33. Wisconsin

34. Marshall

35. Oklahoma State

36. Alabama

37. Miami (OH)

38. Air Force

39t. Michigan State

39t. Maryland

41t. Cincinnati

41t. UNLV

43. South Carolina

44. Texas A&M

45. BYU

Yes Vern, you're right, the SEC is THE toughest conference in the nation. I won't even listen to anyone who tells me otherwise. You've got Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, LSU, and Tennessee all in the same conference. The SEC style of play manages to strike a great medium between the speed of the ACC and Big East and the straight-up power of the Big Ten and Big XII. Also, the conditioning of the SEC players is always great, considering the kind of conditions these guys train under during the summer.

And, for your purchasing pleasure at VolMall.com...

3850-c.jpg

Now if we could just figure out how to beat them in Knoxville. Where's the dude who was on here last year talking smack about my boys and saying they were Citrus Bowl-bound?

The only thing that takes the sting of my CSU Rams getting shelled - at home no less! - and plummeting off the charts is the fact that the Buffaloes have fallen almost as far, almost as fast. I'd obviously rather watch my team win, but watching a hated team lose is almost as good.

And I've got to disagree with pinjockey's assertion that OU or USC wouldn't get named by anyone on the East Coast. Most people that are older than 30 grew up on teams like Southern Cal (dominant in the 70s) and OU (dominant in the 80s). They'd get as much mention as OSU (dominant in the 70s) or Miami (dominant in the late 80s, 90s). All 4 of those teams would get named before a lot of East Coast teams, I'd think (certainly above any of the Virginia teams, or North Carolina or NC State, and most likely above the random Mississippi's of the world)

Guest Choken One
Please leave the BCS alone.

What team besides maybe Notre Dame has any appeal outside of the region of the country they play in? Miami... Do the people in Miami even care about Miami?

For football? N.D is the #1 WIDE SPREAD popular team but I would throw Texas, Miami, OSU, Michigan as the order at least for now...I'm basing off how many people I see wearing their merch around...

In Basketball? Duke, UK, UNC, are national darlings...but not really UCLA...dispite being Equal or larger in history then those 3...

I touched on it in my post a few minutes ago, but didn't extrapolate on it as much as I could have or should have.

I think it all depends on the age of the people that are being asked. When I was younger, UNLV was a pretty big college basketball powerhouse. So, if someone told me to name 20 college programs, I'd most likely name them over a team like Arizona, who I think is pretty big now. Only because one team was strong at a time that I was more impressionable. If someone watched a ton of college football in the 70s or 80s, teams like USC or OSU would dominate their memories. To kids that are only 15 years old now, they've never seen USC be dominant and only saw OSU get really good lately.

It all depends on how old you are, and that's who you know about or associate with a certain sport.

Yeah Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and SC are recognized by any casual college football fan, so i would say a title matchup between any of these teams along with maybe the three florida schools would have pretty good ratings.

Here's the new Unofficial BCS Top 25 and Bottom 10. As always the source of these rankings is collegebcs.com. They are unofficial because not all computer ratings are available at this time although for some reason this week one of the computer ratings that has been availabe in previous weeks is not available this week. So this week only three of the seven computer ratings are factored in the the rankings. Official rankings come out October 20th.

1. Oklahoma 3.60

2. Miami 7.01

3. Ohio State 7.08

4. USC 13.03

5. Florida State 14.44

6. Tennessee 15.13

7. LSU 17.17

8. Iowa 18.39

9. Virginia Tech 20.01

10. Oregon 20.87

11. Arkansas 21.26

12. Georgia 25.97

13. Michigan 27.57

14. Nebraska 34.27

15. Northern Illinois 37.97

16. Texas 46.67

17. Washington State 46.71

18. Kansas State 47.53

19. TCU 52.80

20. Washington 54.71

21. Purdue 55.32

22. Minnesota 60.01

23. Louisville 60.78

24. Missouri 62.99

25. Wake Forest 63.71

Bottom 10

117. Eastern Michigan 120.35

116. UTEP 119.72

115. Army 119.35

114. SMU 119.11

113. Idaho 117.80

112. Buffalo 116.12

111. LA-Lafayette 113.83

110. LA-Monroe 113.51

109. Rice 111.97

108. Middle Tennessee State 110.05

Right know it seems like 3 teams have pulled away from anyone else. Oklahoma, USC, and Miami.

I agree but I'm worried coming out of this bye week. Petie should have us prepped though.

I'd say our toughest game now is at UW. ASU sucked completely against Iowa and the rest of our away games look easy on paper. But this IS the kind of year the Trojans blow it against either ND or UCLA.