TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DeputyHawk

Racism in Current Events

Well my hands are clean of that one.

The Bundy stuff is better when you watch the program. I am sure you have FX. Be sure to watch and support Married W/Children!

Guest cobainwasmurdered

That's disgusting. Just because someone has problems with depression does not mean they are going to kill themselves.

The thread had nothing to do with suicide. It was about anti-depressants. And you don't have to be suicidal to be on those.

I can understand not having sympathy for people who kill themselves. It is a selfish thing to do. but making jokes about it IS wrong. encouraging people to commit suicide IS wrong. Thinking that people who are depressed want to kill themselves IS stupid and uninformed.

Frankly, That thread alone proves everything negative that has ever been said about MikeSC. He wasn't in that thread to discuss the topic. He was there to make fun of people who are depressed. He made incredibly tasteless jokes that are very offensive. I'm not calling for his banning but he should not be aloud to get away with saying things of that nature.

Guest Sigmund Freud

Quite apart from this gimmick, there is a vast difference between being depressed and being suicidal. Anybody who thinks differently needs to talk to their friends when they're down. Or get some friends.

Guest DeputyHawk

i'm interested to hear dames' take on this. i've seen him reading the thread, but as yet no comment. it's ultimately his place and if he says this sort of stuff is okay then fair play, i'll stop whining about it. i guess i want a clarification of what's acceptable in CE and what's not, because lately reading the forum leaves a very unpleasant taste.

marney, i'm not going to rail on you for being a racist out of context, especially as you're just giving counter-examples and your opinions are not actually born from pig ignorance. the difference is, you don't harp on your views constantly and stain thread after thread with them in the guise of 'humour' as some are doing.

Thanks, DH. Quite apart from this particular thread, I have a good opinion of you as well, and your question is pertinent - if only for the amount of controversy this issue has aroused recently. Let's have this settled once and for all by the official arbiters.

Would that silly Vern Gagne chappy still be around if his post concerned Jewish people dying in a heatwave? Discuss.

I apologized for my poor choice of words. If your preconceived notion of what kind of person I am prevents you from believing me than so be it.

I say keep the oh so fucking old and tired "politically correct" movement the hell off of this message board. Either take a joke (or the truth), or take a shit somewhere else. I see no reason why people in EVERY form of communication shouldn't be able to TELL IT HOW IT IS.

With that said, it was over the line to make jokes about innocent people being killed. That's the only thing I saw that would even warrant being even a tiny bit pissed off.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Well DH. Just because you think "this is how it is" doesn't mean it is. No offence man but that's a really ignorant attitude.

just posting a copy of a PM sent to Dames, so I don't get accused of sneaking around behind people's backs, as i was when i said Dr Tom's anti-Muslim views weren't befitting of a mod.

Just to clarify that:

I'm not, and have never been, anti-Muslim. I absolutely despise terrorists, and their apologists and supporters, in all forms, so yes, I despise Al'Qaeda, most Palestinians, etc. Also, regardless whether I'm anti-Muslim or anti-anything, those views have nothing to do with me being a moderator on these boards. "Weren't befitting of a mod..." what does that even mean? Am I supposed to change my opinions because I have a flashing blue title beneath my name? Should I censor myself when I post just because I happen to be a moderator? Sorry, that's not going to happen. I might be a moderator, but I'm also a poster like everyone else, and as long as what I post is within the rules and guidelines, then there should be no problems with it.

To the general issue, I think CE is fine the way it is, but I will offer one caveat. If anyone wants to post French jokes, or anything of similar nature, start the thread in NHB and save us all the trouble of doing this sorry dance again. The rest is all in the nature of spirited and sometimes heated discussions, which the regular posters of the folder have consistently shown they have no problems with.

Carry on.

I say keep the oh so fucking old and tired "politically correct" movement the hell off of this message board. Either take a joke (or the truth), or take a shit somewhere else. I see no reason why people in EVERY form of communication shouldn't be able to TELL IT HOW IT IS.

Common respect for you fellow man and decency is not PC.

I think the anti-PC movement is alot more annoying than the PC movement.

I can't stand how people get so up tight about jokes which are made in good fun. I don't piss my pants when someone makes a joke about a white guy or a person from down south. I know it's all in fun, and I laugh right along with whoever tells the joke.

It's a fine line, yes, but too many people are getting way too uptight. Not just here, I'm not even really talking about here, just society in general.

People are "disrespected" way too easily in this day and age.

Well DH. Just because you think "this is how it is" doesn't mean it is. No offence man but that's a really ignorant attitude.

I'm not talking about stuff that can even be opposed. My saying that all French people such isn't "how it is", I'm not talking about something like that.

I just can't stand when people can't accept the truth and facts about certain things. Not just about France, etc... but even about the USA. Too many people are afraid of facts and truth, ie, "the way it is".

Guest cobainwasmurdered
just posting a copy of a PM sent to Dames, so I don't get accused of sneaking around behind people's backs, as i was when i said Dr Tom's anti-Muslim views weren't befitting of a mod. 

Just to clarify that:

I'm not, and have never been, anti-Muslim. I absolutely despise terrorists, and their apologists and supporters, in all forms, so yes, I despise Al'Qaeda, most Palestinians, etc. Also, regardless whether I'm anti-Muslim or anti-anything, those views have nothing to do with me being a moderator on these boards. "Weren't befitting of a mod..." what does that even mean? Am I supposed to change my opinions because I have a flashing blue title beneath my name? Should I censor myself when I post just because I happen to be a moderator? Sorry, that's not going to happen. I might be a moderator, but I'm also a poster like everyone else, and as long as what I post is within the rules and guidelines, then there should be no problems with it.

To the general issue, I think CE is fine the way it is, but I will offer one caveat. If anyone wants to post French jokes, or anything of similar nature, start the thread in NHB and save us all the trouble of doing this sorry dance again. The rest is all in the nature of spirited and sometimes heated discussions, which the regular posters of the folder have consistently shown they have no problems with.

Carry on.

I am a regular poster and I have a problem with the way MikeSC conducted himself in this thread:

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...ST&f=18&t=38710

That's not a "Spirited" debate. It's flaming and it's ignorant.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I can't stand how people get so up tight about jokes which are made in good fun. I don't piss my pants when someone makes a joke about a white guy or a person from down south. I know it's all in fun, and I laugh right along with whoever tells the joke.

It's a fine line, yes, but too many people are getting way too uptight. Not just here, I'm not even really talking about here, just society in general.

People are "disrespected" way too easily in this day and age.

I'm not talking about stuff that can even be opposed. My saying that all French people such isn't "how it is", I'm not talking about something like that.

I just can't stand when people can't accept the truth and facts about certain things. Not just about France, etc... but even about the USA. Too many people are afraid of facts and truth, ie, "the way it is".

And what is "THE TRUTH"?

And what is "THE TRUTH"?

I'm not talking about anything specific here, but rather, just in general.

Some people are so pissy to the point where they feel that when someone tells the truth about something, gives facts and stats, etc... that it's over the line or racist or whatever you want to call it.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

People can find facts to back up anyside of an arguement.

There is no one correct truth. Truth is a concept.

Man, I didn't realize how many babies are posting at TSM. I knew there were some, but man...

How about making an International CE folder where all the commies (err, non-North America residents) can post and talk about happy things...

Guest cobainwasmurdered

The issue isn't about talking about "happy" things. It's about people showing respect to their fellow man.

Making rude ethnic jokes is pathetic and an obvious call for attention. Making fun of Depression is also pathetic but it showcases an astounding amount of ignorance.

Shall I buy you a gun for the next time you're "in the mood"?

-=Mike

How is that appropriate behavior in CE?

People can find facts to back up anyside of an arguement.

There is no one correct truth. Truth is a concept.

How cute.

The oh so popular statement which people use when they do not want to believe facts and truths.

I am a regular poster and I have a problem with the way MikeSC conducted himself in this thread:

The "shall I buy you a gun..." remark seems a little over the top, but I have no problems with the rest of it. I see the scenario as this: Rant and Mike posted a couple of jokes in the thread, then everyone who had ever taken an antidepressant theatrically overreacted. I've been online for almost ten years now, and I still fail to see why people give such weight to the words of a complete stranger on their computer screen.

Since everyone else is fond of quoting the board rules around here, I'll play along:

5. Flaming is allowed in No Holds Barred and is discouraged everywhere else. If you have a problem with someone, take it to NHB. Depending on mod’s discretion, flaming outside of NHB can be subject to a one-time warning. Absolutely TASTELESS comments are subject to ban via mod’s discretion regardless of the forum. Keep in mind, though, that a stranger calling you a name on the internet is just that: a stranger calling you a name on the internet. It's really not that important in the grand scheme of the forums. Many problems with "flaming" can be overcome by simply ignoring the other party.

Emphasis added, because it apparently needs to be.

The "shall I buy you a gun..." remark seems a little over the top, but I have no problems with the rest of it. I see the scenario as this: Rant and Mike posted a couple of jokes in the thread, then everyone who had ever taken an antidepressant theatrically overreacted. I've been online for almost ten years now, and I still fail to see why people give such weight to the words of a complete stranger on their computer screen.

Since everyone else is fond of quoting the board rules around here, I'll play along:

5. Flaming is allowed in No Holds Barred and is discouraged everywhere else. If you have a problem with someone, take it to NHB. Depending on mod’s discretion, flaming outside of NHB can be subject to a one-time warning. Absolutely TASTELESS comments are subject to ban via mod’s discretion regardless of the forum. Keep in mind, though, that a stranger calling you a name on the internet is just that: a stranger calling you a name on the internet. It's really not that important in the grand scheme of the forums. Many problems with "flaming" can be overcome by simply ignoring the other party.

Emphasis added, because it apparently needs to be.

By that logic, should someone be banned for making insensitive comments about Mole's mum or not?

Guest Flyboy
By that logic, should someone be banned for making insensitive comments about Mole's mum or not?

No. I mean, it's just someone on the Internet.. what does it really mean to you?

Absolutely not, regardless of the logic. Just because Mole is a pathetic little halfwit who deserves anything and everything he gets.