TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

the 2 gun thing

Shooting with two guns is (or used to be) attributed with John Woo movies. I'm assuming he did it first, or at least popularized it, if not then boy do I look like an idiot. If he did, in what movie did he do it first?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

The first movie to feature a stoic Chow Yun Fat useing two .45's to blow away an army of dirtbags was indeed: A BETTER TOMMORROW.

Do you mean just the use of two guns or the way John Woo choreographs such sequences? John Wayne can be seen shooting Indians with two colt's in Stagecoach and his trademark was firing a rifle with one hand while having a pistol in the other, much like in True Grit. Also, Clint Eastwood is showing firing two pistols in the Outlaw Josey Wales as well. I'm sure there are tons of westerns featuring a guy firing two guns at once.

I know an answer hadn't been reached, but someone said it was one of the ones with Chow Yun Fat in it, so that at least narrowed it down.

Um, John Woo usually casts Chow Yun Fat.

Guest Crucifixio Jones

If someone mentioning Chow Yun Fat narrowed it down, then someone doesn't know enough about Chow Yun Fat.

Guys shooting with guns in both hands has been pretty common throughout movie history, especially in westerns.

HOWever, I believe that what Ravenbomb was really asking was "Where did the action movie cliche' of "guy flies through the air in slow-motion while firing automatic pistols in both hands, usually while wearing a trenchcoat or sunglasses"?"

If that's true, then yep, John Woo did indeed start that one, in his 1986 film A Better Tomorrow, in which Chow Yun-Fat (who, oddly enough, is just a supporting character and not the lead) blows away a whole roomful of guys with blazing twin .45's. But the first movie that everyone really noticed it in was Woo's 1989 flick The Killer, in which Chow had ambidextrous gunfights about every five minutes or so.

Guys shooting with guns in both hands has been pretty common throughout movie history, especially in westerns.

HOWever, I believe that what Ravenbomb was really asking was "Where did the action movie cliche' of "guy flies through the air in slow-motion while firing automatic pistols in both hands, usually while wearing a trenchcoat or sunglasses"?"

If that's true, then yep, John Woo did indeed start that one, in his 1986 film A Better Tomorrow, in which Chow Yun-Fat (who, oddly enough, is just a supporting character and not the lead) blows away a whole roomful of guys with blazing twin .45's. But the first movie that everyone really noticed it in was Woo's 1989 flick The Killer, in which Chow had ambidextrous gunfights about every five minutes or so.

Tony Leung was in both movies :firing: :gas: :cheers: