TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Baseball Talk

I am thinking, maybe hitting Stinnett, he figured use him in the 5th inning and save the bigger guns. Add that in with Stinnett's experience. Maybe they wanted his plate discipline up there since Redman was wild and young guys might try too hard.

Guest MD2020

Phils Win! Phils Win! Phils Win!

Thome homers in the eight to win the game 5-4.

Talk about a clutch hitter.

Dayum. Thank God we finish with the Mets, and when the Phils come to Pro Player next week things will be different. Marlins are MUCH better at home (but then again who isn't?)

I wouldn't discount the Mets. They are all young guys playing for jobs, so they are going to be busting their ass. On the other hand the Phils are going to be playing a "we don't give a fuck anymore" Braves team on their final weekend.

And Jim Thome should be NL MVP. Just thought I would throw that in there.

I would put him ahead of Pujols, because the Cards would still be good. Without Thome the Phils are awful.

And I think the Giants would still be contenders without Bonds, and he hasn't produced as many runs as Thome.

Thome 184 runs (R + RBI - HR)

Bonds 148 runs

Throw in the fact that Thome is the heart of his team and I think that makes a case for him.

Thome - .269/.390/.566 (150 games played)

546 AB

105 runs

147 hits

29 doubles

43 HR

122 RBI

309 total bases

107 BB

170 strikeouts

Bonds - .340/.532/.750 (122 games played)

368 AB

105 runs

125 hits

20 doubles

43 HR

86 RBI

276 total bases

143 BB

54 strikeouts

Here's a question about MVP voting. Why does a voter even have a player on the losing team on in his top 10?

Seriously, if you think MVP is for players on contending teams than why should you give A-Rod or Delgado any votes at all? If you think he's deserving to win that's fine. But if he doesn't fit what you think an MVP should be, why have him on your ballot at all?

Guest Choken One
Here's a question. Why should the MVP only come from contending teams? I mean, its a voter's choice, but a few posters talk about making it an official rule.

I always wondered if a Player hit .402 hit 50 homers and had 145+ rbi's...and was on a losing team...would people be going "NO MVP!"

Guest Choken One

I did? I never said a damn thing...I might have said ""History indicates they will"...

Thome - .269/.390/.566 (150 games played)

546 AB

105 runs

147 hits

29 doubles

43 HR

122 RBI

309 total bases

107 BB

170 strikeouts

Bonds - .340/.532/.750 (122 games played)

368 AB

105 runs

125 hits

20 doubles

43 HR

86 RBI

276 total bases

143 BB

54 strikeouts

Thome does have a case over Bonds, just because of that gap in games played. I didn't know it was that big.

*looks for case*

*doesn't find it*

*scratches head*

Gold glove caliber fielding is pushing it. Leadership is a bullshit quality.

The big thing is those 28 games. Its tough to create value for your team when you're not playing. I don't know whether it pushes Thome over Bonds, but its certainly an issue to consider. In any case, I wouldn't put Thome over Pujols.

Guest MD2020
28 more games.

9 more extra base hits.

36 more runs produced.

Gold Glove caliber fielding.

Leadership.

Also: not a fucking jackass.

I would be surprised if Thome wins the MVP. However, I'd like it, escpecially since (I think) Bonds won it in 1993, when Dykstra should have won it. Where would the Phils have been without the season put together by the Dude?

I would be surprised if Thome wins the MVP. However, I'd like it, escpecially since (I think) Bonds won it in 1993, when Dykstra should have won it. Where would the Phils have been without the season put together by the Dude?

Well San Francisco won 103 games that year, and lost the division in the last game of the season. Bonds really had Dykstra beat. Dykstra had 3 more BB, and 7 more Steals, but that's all you can give him. Bonds hit .336/.458/.677 that year.

Thome is tied for 3rd in NL 1B fielding percentage. And is tied for first among people who have played over 125 games at the position.

And I don't see why leadership is a bullshit quality. Should it be taken into account as much as everything else? Of course not. But should it be a piece of the puzzle? Yes.

28 more games.

9 more extra base hits.

36 more runs produced.

Leadership.

OPS 332 points less.

Tied in home runs, despite 28 more games.

Only 9 more extra-base hits, despite 28 more games.

116 more strikeouts.

Walk to strikeout ratio less than 1, instead of over 3.

Underachieving team.

And, of course, there's the small matter that Bonds IS the Giants. Without him, they're the Tigers.

28 more games.

9 more extra base hits.

36 more runs produced.

Leadership.

Also: not a fucking jackass.

Bonds has also had at least two other MVP awards stolen from him (see: Pendleton, Terry; Kent, Jeff).

OPS and strikeouts I agree with.

I think the underachieving team is more a credit to Thome than a detriment. It was supposed to be the year of Abreu-Thome-Burrell becoming a god like trio of 120 HR 400 RBI. Instead Burrell died, Abreu decided to just stay where he is as a player (very good, not great), and Thome has done what he was brought here to do.

Thome is tied for 3rd in NL 1B fielding percentage. And is tied for first among people who have played over 125 games at the position.

Fielding percentage doesn't measure much, besides a player not screwing up. In any case, Bonds plays a tougher position, and he's considered a good fielder. So Thome can't gain any ground in that department.

And I don't see why leadership is a bullshit quality. Should it be taken into account as much as everything else? Of course not. But should it be a piece of the puzzle? Yes.

Because how is leadership any different from performing well, in Thome's case? Thome's "leadership" is measured in his hitting stats.

I think the underachieving team is more a credit to Thome than a detriment. It was supposed to be the year of Abreu-Thome-Burrell becoming a god like trio of 120 HR 400 RBI. Instead Burrell died, Abreu decided to just stay where he is as a player (very good, not great), and Thome has done what he was brought here to do.

Bobby Abreu is one of those players who is going to be criticised for not being more than he is, even when he's still very good. He's gone 20/20 five straight years now. An OBP over .400 5 out of 6 years. Every year he walks 100+ times. Players like Abreu are always criticised because they're not spectacular, but I'll take Abreu's production any day.

Guest BobbyWhioux
I always wondered if a Player hit .402 hit 50 homers and had 145+ rbi's...and was on a losing team...would people be going "NO MVP!"

Look up Teddy Ballgame's numbers from '42 and '47, and bear in mind that both years the MVP went to some Yankee second baseman whose name I can't remember.

The Sox went nowhere those two years, the Yanks made the world series, dropping it to the Cardinals in 42 and beating The Dodgers in 47.

Look up Teddy Ballgame's numbers from '42 and '47, and bear in mind that both years the MVP went to some Yankee second baseman whose name I can't remember.

Keep in mind that the press hated Ted Williams in those days. In any case, the 1942 award went to Joe Gordon, who is possibly the Yankees best second baseman in franchise history. A Jeff Kent type player, and a borderline Hall of Fame candidate. I don't know why he got the award in '42. He hit .322, but Williams was better in every facet. Its not like Boston wasn't in it that year. They finished 2nd, and won 93 games.

In '47, the award went to Joe Dimaggio, by one point. If a writer had moved Williams up two spots on his ballot, Williams would've won. Williams did win in '46. Keep in mind that writers in those days were not sabermetrically inclined, so OBP didn't mean as much as it does now.

Williams for years was a top 3 candidate. Even when the Sox didn't win, he got the votes.

Okay now I know batting average doesn't really mean anything, well it does some what but just isn't given as much credit as it used to and isn't a fair way to judge a player. BUT the voters do look at batting average and like I said earlier its been 14 years since any player in either league won the MVP with a sub-.300 avg and the lowest average ever for an MVP winner was .269 by Roger Maris in '61. Thome is right at that and Thome isn't breaking the homerun record so I seriously doubt he is going to win it.

Bonds is going to get sympathy votes for his dad dying but I don't think he's played enough this year to deserve the award a la Pedro when it comes to the Cy Young. I think the MVP should go to Pujols although the Cardinals collapse isn't going to help but I'd give it to him.