TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Baseball Talk

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I live in Chicago, so let me assure you that the odds of either team making the world series are about 9 billion to 1. And if both make it, look out for that earth swallowing thing CanadianChris mentioned.

Guest Anglesault
I live in Chicago, so let me assure you that the odds of either team making the world series are about 9 billion to 1. And if both make it, look out for that earth swallowing thing CanadianChris mentioned.

That is the only acceptable ending. That, or The Yankees somehow being declared the winner.

I'm not saying that as a Yankee fan, but just in an ironic "WWF" sort of way. The Cubs are finally going to win with 2 outs in the ninth, when bud Selig comes on the videotron, renders the game void and declares the yanks new champions.

Well, Kyle Farnsworth's worthless ass gave up 5 runs in the 8th inning tonight, which is horribly pathetic, considering the Cubs WERE winning 4-0 and are now losing 8-4. I don't mind the Expos, but they're not going anywhere this year and the Cubs needed this win tonight and it doesn't look like it'll happen. I'm trying to figure out who sucks more, Farns or Alfonseca. It was their pitching that did them in tonight, as the Expos had 3 runs before they even registered a single base hit. That's right, all walks. They ended up with seven for the night and when you give up that many, you're gonna lose.

Farnsworth is worthless. I remember back in 01 I think he was very good. A lot of appearences and a low ERA, but other than that year, he's been nothing but a meatball pitcher with terrible control.

Alfonseca...shit, I know Dontrelle Willis has slowed down, but they gave up the kid up, for this guy? Once again, no control..but he can throw hard..so I guess that's all that matters.

Well they did get Clement in the Alfonseca deal as well. Besides was Willis even a real hot shot prospect at the time? I seem to recall when the trade went down people were pissed because the Marlins were dumping salary and only getting some mediocre prospects in return.

Willis hadn't come into his own yet when they traded him away. I once too thought Farns was good but then he seemed to be unable to have any control and that's been his problem. He's a flamethrower and would be good if he could get some control.

Just seeing the clips from the game has made me even madder. They had 2 out and the Expos popped it up and it seemed like they were out of the inning. Nope. Alou lost it and ended up just missing the catch and thus, the five-run rally began. Fuck. That was a very embarrassing moment and made the Cubs look like they have no business in the race.

Big Win for the Twins tonight. If they can sneak a win tomorrow. It would be a good series.

Magic Numbers

Braves=6 to clinch east, 5 to clinch playoff spot.

Giants=10 to clinch west

Well, Kyle Farnsworth's worthless ass gave up 5 runs in the 8th inning tonight, which is horribly pathetic, considering the Cubs WERE winning 4-0 and are now losing 8-4. I don't mind the Expos, but they're not going anywhere this year and the Cubs needed this win tonight and it doesn't look like it'll happen. I'm trying to figure out who sucks more, Farns or Alfonseca. It was their pitching that did them in tonight, as the Expos had 3 runs before they even registered a single base hit. That's right, all walks. They ended up with seven for the night and when you give up that many, you're gonna lose.

Wasn't all Farnsworth's fault. If either Alou or Gonzalez makes the catch on that pop fly, they get out of the 8th inning with the lead.

The Royals went thru two rain delays totalling 118 minutes (36 for the first, 82 for the second) in the first and second innings.

This brings up an interesting thought

Why does MLB put so many offdays in April?

My idea is simple.

Reduce the season to 160 games. That gives a few offdays when needed.

Cubs blew it again as they were losing 3-0 going into the ninth. They loaded them up, Karros singled, scoring a run and keeping them loaded. Leave it to Alex Gonzalez to ground into a double play. Yeah it scored another run, but then there were two outs and a guy on second. Randall Simon pinched hit and grounded out to end the game. Can't expect the guy to get the big hit everytime, which is what he's been doing. Regardless, they drop 2-of-3 to a sinking Expos squad after taking 4-of-5 from the Cards and a red-hot Brewers team. At least the Stros and Cards lost today, so the Cubs didn't lose any ground, but a win would've put them back in first.

This brings up an interesting thought

Why does MLB put so many offdays in April?

The weather is alot more climatic in April. Rain, Snow, and Cold.

Huge win for the Twins today. I'm really starting to like there chances of winning the division.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

Let me just say that I saw the Alou play this morning and I was in tears. (of joy)

Ok, as I watch the Phils pound the Braves again, I am left wondering what Javy Lopez ever did to Greg Maddux? I know this gets brought up often, but especially this year it is absurd. Maddux is down this year, and Lopez is tied for third in the league in HR. So how is it that when Maddux pitches, he can say get Lopez out of here?

I can see that. I remember Brandon Duckworth having a run or two lower ERA with Todd Pratt than Lieby. But you would think with Maddux and Lopez's experience they could work through it and learn. What is it, 10 years now?

I don't doubt Maddux is more comfortable with someone other than Lopez behind the plate. The Braves however need Lopez's bat in the postseason. With the Braves pitching not what it was, they need the best lineup every game, more so this year than previous years.

Those of you familiar with my thoughts in this forum know that I'm fairly lenient when evaluating players. I give the benefit of a doubt when a player is in a slump, and I don't always criticize poor behavior.

With that in mind, Jose Mesa must go, NOW. Its not enough that he leaves the team after the season. The Phillies should release him immediately after tonight's game.

Mesa has shown a complete inability to survive an appearance without allowing runs. He's posted a post all-star game 9.77 ERA. So far this month, he's posted an abysmal 27.00 ERA. And that doesn't even include tonight's 3 run home run to Reggie Sanders.

Mesa can't show his face in the Vet these days without seeing a massive wall of boos. The Philly fans won't accept him at this point, and he's not good enough to keep around. I say cut him loose.

Brad Penny leaves the game in the first inning. Braves plate a run in the top of the 8th to open a two run lead. Marlins are losing, right? Nope, a little small ball later followed by a Juan Pierre double down the first base line and the Marlins are 1.5 up on the Phils and less than 10 back of the Braves.

Since the Marlins pretty much own the Phillies head to head...Giants better get ready.