TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Baseball Talk

I think the most important stat here is that Bob was born in 1991 and is attending college, which makes him what, 12? 13?

As for the playoffs, I'm a Yanks fan, and the way they're playing right now, they don't deserve to make it into the playoffs.

Boston, Chi Sox, Oakland, Seattle

Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, San Fran

Bos d. Sea, Oak d. Chi

Atl d. Chi, SF d. Hou

Bos d. Oak, SF d. Atl

SF d. Bos

Guest Anglesault
As for the playoffs, I'm a Yanks fan, and the way they're playing right now, they don't deserve to make it into the playoffs.

The Yankees are absolute shit right now, but I think they will beat out Boston for the division.

Well, you've got four major players slumping, a shaky starting rotation with ONE (Mussina) pitcher that I trust to make a key start, a bullpen that's even more fragile then Boston's, pretty much the entire roster banged up, and a closer that's a lot closer to mortal then invincible these days.

Christ, you look at it like that, they should be fighting Toronto for second, not leading the division.

Can I just say that the argument over "have the Braves won 11 straight division titles?" is boring and pointless...I mean who gives a shit? Anyways winning a division in the wild card era means less and less now.

BOREDOM strikes...don't ask me why but I figured it'd be time to look at how long teams have gone without winning or making it to a World Series. Guess we'll just call this the Fan Suffering Index.

Number Years since winning a World Series, or if never, how many years a team has been in exsistence (those teams have an asterisk next to them).

Cubs 95

White Sox 86

Red Sox 85

Indians 55

Giants 49

Rangers 42*

Astros 41*

Expos 34*

Padres 34*

Brewers 34*

Mariners 26*

Pirates 24

Phillies 23

Cardinals 21

Orioles 20

Tigers 19

Royals 18

Mets 17

Dodgers 15

A's 14

Reds 13

Twins 12

Blue Jays 10

Rockies 10*

Braves 8

Marlins 6*

Devil Rays 5*

Yankees 3

Diamondbacks 2

Angels 1

Same as above just number of years since playing in a World Series:

Cubs 58

White Sox 44

Rangers 42*

Astros 41*

Expos 34*

Mariners 26*

Pirates 24

Brewers 21

Orioles 20

Tigers 19

Royals 18

Red Sox 17

Cardinals 16

Dodgers 15

A's 13

Reds 13

Twins 12

Blue Jays 10

Phillies 10

Rockies 10*

Marlins 6

Indians 6

Padres 5

Devil Rays 5*

Braves 4

Yankees 3

Mets 3

Diamondbacks 2

Angels 1

Giants 1

That's what I base it on Max. No one won the division title in 1994.

Yes, it is, mainly because the goal of the season is to win the big trophy in October, not some meaningless scrap of fabric in September. The Braves have done that once, in their 11 trips, which gives them a "success" percentage of 9%. Any school in the world will fail you if you put up numbers like that.

We disagree there but you said in an earlier post-

has failed more often than any other in recent history

You claim the Braves have a failure rate of 9% since they won 1 World Series in 11 seasons. During that span the Yankees and Jays have won multiple WS titles while the Marlins, Twins, D-Backs and Angels have won one title.

So that means that there have teams that have failed a lot more then Atlanta in that span

Guest Choken One

But I guess someone will argue that the Angels are 100%...

in some twisted arguement...

I'm still confused and pissed over what happened with KC today.

First off.. 7th inning, 2 outs, 2 men on, 5-3 Royals. Darrell May is pulled from the game.

In comes Jason Grimsley.

Guess what happens?

Grimsley gives up three runs and the Royals lose!

Guess what happened with Grimsley pitched on Thursday?

20 pitches, 7 strikes.

Grimsley also sucked in about every game he's come into since June.

Tony Pena's rise to "Manager of the Year" shouldn't be without the question of "Why did you put in Jason Grimsley tonight?". Pena has some serious issues with the bullpen.

Also, the Royals need to fire alot of their "medical" staff. About every starting pitcher in KC has been on the DL. About 4 or 5 are on the 60-day DL right now.

As for game 2. Jamey Wright, of all people, throws 88 pitches in 8 innings, gives up 6 hits and 3 runs and loses since the Royals did NOTHING resembling 'Scoring'.

When you are up 1-0 in the first, with a runner on third and no outs, you don't just make 3 straight outs. But, they did.

Fucking ridiculous.

Can't the Royals just fucking release Grimsley now? or is there some issue with the playoff roster that has to be resolved?

Did the Angels not win a road game today?

I'm suprised May didn't stay in the game. He's been the Royals best starter. That sweep really hurt the Royals. If they could manage to walk out 2 games behind 1st after tomorrow's game. They get the White Sox 6 more times?, and the remaining schedule is just like the Twins. Games against Cleveland, and Detroit.

Yankees really miss Jeter. He's the leader of that team. Before he was injured last week he seemed to be the only player hitting well.

Did the Angels not win a road game today?

I'm suprised May didn't stay in the game. He's been the Royals best starter. That sweep really hurt the Royals. If they could manage to walk out 2 games behind 1st after tomorrow's game. They get the White Sox 6 more times?, and the remaining schedule is just like the Twins. Games against Cleveland, and Detroit.

Both games were home games for the Angels

And May left after 106 pitches

*shrug*

Guest Anglesault
a shaky starting rotation with ONE (Mussina) pitcher that I trust to make a key start,

I have faith in Pettitte. The other day was an abnormality.

Yankees 3

Diamondbacks 2

Uhm.... Something doesn't add up.

Im hoping for the Yankees to choke down the stretch and not end up making the playoffs at all. The Steinbrenner can go and fire everyone and jack his payroll up to 300 million next year and fail even worse.

And I think it would be insaneyly hilarious if the World Series was Cubs/Red Sox.

And I think it would be insaneyly hilarious if the World Series was Cubs/Red Sox.

I said this at work the other day.

I also swear that at some point, the Red Sox are going to make it to the series....and get swept. Just the Masshole in me though. :P

I said this at work the other day.

I also swear that at some point, the Red Sox are going to make it to the series....and get swept. Just the Masshole in me though. :P

Nah..the next time they make the world series, they'll take a 3-0 lead in the series and then lose the next 4, including game 7 at home, probably in extra innings.

I think the Cubs will win a WS before the Red Sox do though. Heck, the White Sox might win a WS before the Red Sox.

Yankees 3

Diamondbacks 2

Uhm.... Something doesn't add up.

Typo...sorry...wait no I'm not..FUCK THE YANKEES!

Anyways my A's just played like shit this past week getting punked out by the Orioles and Devil Rays...ugh. Thankfully the Mariners have been playing like shit for a couple of months now. It will definently come down to those six games at the end of the season and I just hope the A's have it clinched before the final three in Seattle.

Cubs take the lead in the NL Central

Twins and Sox remain tied

Yankees get some breathing room (especially in the loss column)

Phillies and Red Sox lead in the Wildcard race

Oakland leads by 2 over Seattle.

AL Batting 10 hitters within 9 points of lead.

The Phillies and Marlins just keep winning. The Phillies are 10-1 in their last 11 games. Tonight the Phillies face a tough test in the Braves.

As for fan groups, the Padilla Floatilla owns all. Except for those four guys who painted W-A-L-K on their chests, took off their shirts for each ball, and danced in the aisle after Jeremy Giambi drew a walk.

Millwood facing the Braves has not been the best thing so far this year.

And no fan group can beat a bunch of guys wearing full suits to a baseball game in the middle of the summer. That takes some fan dedication.

Guest Bobby Cox is God

How the hell can you base a 162 game season on eleven post season wins? Ask anybody baseball player in the big leagues where he wants to play, and Atlanta will be at the top of most lists. Bobby Cox is the ultimate players manager and has been the BEST manager in baseball the last 12 years. All the Braves hate, unless you are a Yankees fan, is pure jealousy. The best rotation in baseball history, countless great players. I can live with being a fan of an overhyped team, the only thing I hate about being a Braves fan is bandwagon bitches.

Braves own Millwood/Glavine btw.

The best Phillies fan participation was the group of guys who set up a baseball diamond in the right field upper deck, with each guy representing a Phillies starter, taking positions in the "field" and on the "bases".