TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Baseball Talk

Guest HungryJack

I think a Cubs/Sox World Series would appeal to fans of Baseballs history, as they're both clubs with long histories and faithful fans.

Guest Anglesault

NY/NY has more of a national appeal. Of course in New York, but there are plenty of Yankee fans (and thus Mets haters) all over the country, as well as plenty of bitter, jealous Yankee haters all over the country. Everyone had a rooting interest.

Not really, there are fans that hate both teams. I'd bet more people around the States would tune in to see 2 teams that haven't won in forever rather than 2 teams they don't like.

TC is right- Nobody likes rooting for big market NY sports teams playing each other.

But two teams that haven't won since 1912 and 1908- that's quite the story.

One of these teams HAS to win.

The winner gets official bragging rights and ends the longest drought in their league.

That's a storyline.

I personally think Boston v. Chicago would draw as would Yankees v. Giants

I haven't purposely watched a single minute of a World Series game for the last three years or have I watched the majority of a World Series game since Game 1 of the '98 series. I guess nothing is a draw to me.

Oh and another reason why the Subway Series probably didn't draw ratings was because it was such a lopsided match-up. Don't fear Chicago...no team out either Central division will be in the series for either league so I wouldn't worry about lack of ratings.

Just got my tickets for the next to last game at the Vet today.

Fucking shithole of a stadium.

And it is our shithole.

Damn straight. As much as I'm looking forward to the new stadium, a piece of me is going to miss the Vet.

As much as the Cubs-Red Sox has the drought vibe going, people forget that the White Sox have gone LONGER without winning the World Series.

Just got my tickets for the next to last game at the Vet today. Time to hit ebay for last game tickets. Al, do you think 40-50 dollars is reasonable for a 600-700 level ticket to that game?

I would say so, considering its the last game and it may very well determine the playoff future of the team. 60,000+ fans will make for a fun atmosphere as well.

It's a shame that they won't make the Playoffs.

Just live with the fact that Marlins are making the playoffs already. It will make your life easier. Lowell is coming back for the last week of the regular season, as if it wasn't already predetermined without that.

97' rides again.

God damn Pena.. why didn't you warm somebody up when Gobble plunked that batter?

Instead he "gives up" five unearned runs.

Great to see that none of our hitters like SWEENEY (the 11 million dollar man) could produce tonight. Ibanez leaves 5 on base.

If the Royals year goes down to 80-81, Mike Sweeney will be the most scrutinized man in the area, and deservedly so, because there is a great shot that the Royals won't hit .500 next year and if they don't do it this year, Sweeney can leave the team and go to play in Anaheim.

As much as the Cubs-Red Sox has the drought vibe going, people forget that the White Sox have gone LONGER without winning the World Series.

Here's an interesting fact. The Phillies went 97 years before the won their first and only World Championship in 1980. That's longer than Cubs have gone.

77 years. You can't count the years before, because you can't make the World Series when it doesn't exist.

Just live with the fact that Marlins are making the playoffs already. It will make your life easier. Lowell is coming back for the last week of the regular season, as if it wasn't already predetermined without that.

97' rides again.

If its '97 again, then call me next year. I've got about $5 and change, and I want to buy Lowell.

Everyone hates New York..cuz it's smells.

Chicago..doesn't have that raw sewage smell.

White Sox vs. Cubs > Mets vs. Yankees

it's that the teams in Chicago have never won anything since the days before Radio became popular

people feel sorry for the Cubs, people sorta dislike the White Sox.

You can put it on the board, yes? How about "I can put my foot up your ass, YEEEESSSS!"

Everyone hates New York..cuz it's smells.

Chicago..doesn't have that raw sewage smell.

White Sox vs. Cubs > Mets vs. Yankees

it's that the teams in Chicago have never won anything since the days before Radio became popular

people feel sorry for the Cubs, people sorta dislike the White Sox.

You can put it on the board, yes? How about "I can put my foot up your ass, YEEEESSSS!"

People don't feel sorry for the Cubs. They may not win all the time, but their games are almost always interesting and whether you'd like to admit it or not, they're one of the most interesting teams in baseball, past and present. Yeah they haven't won the Series in almost a century but look at the draw they still are. I think most Yankees/Braves fans are bandwagon jumpers. Let's see them suck for a couple years in a row and see how they respond to it.

I've just always found the Yankees to be quite uninteresting, to tell you the truth. I can respect the legacy, but the way their entire team is just built and operated, it's just not interesting. Maybe it's because I can be loyal to a team that's not always on top, but the Yankees are very unappealing to me.

I'm just tired of seeing the Yankees.

They are constantly on ESPN and FOX for their feature broadcasts of the week.

And then baseball wonders why interest diminishes when these teams are eliminated from the postseason, it's because the rest of the casual viewer hasn't been exposed to the other teams that happen to be in contention. Teams like Kansas City and the White Sox get hosed because they aren't featured as much.

Guest Ghettoman

Come on the only time the Yankees are leading shows like Sports Center is when there making history or facing the Red Sox. That may of been true a year or two ago, but this year they've been taking it the other way, a little too much in my mind, I remember a few games back late spring that were good games that didn't even get more than 2 clips on SC.

My pick for NL Wild Card, Cubs. I see Yankees, Twins, Oakland, Red Sox, and Atlanta, St Louis, Cubs, Giants. My pick to win it all as of now, Giants. I smell big things frm Mr Bonds....

If the Cubs get into the postseason, I actually think it'll be via winning their division. St. Louis' pitching is going to end up being the end of them (hopefully) and it'll come down to Houston and the Cubs.

I don't think the Yankees are that overexposed, but it's just tiresome seeing them on top every year (or at least, at the front). I know that's the mark of a good team, but it's not from playing well as a unit, it's from being put together with their millions of dollars. The Yanks just seem like a completely manufactured team, with no signs of any personality. You take a team like the Red Sox and put them next to New York. On one end you've got a bunch of guys who really seem to be friends and get along, thus they play better ball while on the other, you've got a team that's always cutting down someone else in the organization and the only reason that they're even in the race is because they were put together with the insane amounts of money that the team has.

One thing I don't undertand is how all of these players come over to the Yankees, take a few meaningless million dollars more, but then lose their souls, like Giambi, who had just now starting to get over the fact that the mop and badass goatee are gone.

They are mechanical..and Derek Jeter gets to me for no real reason.

Guest Anglesault
TC is right- Nobody likes rooting for big market NY sports teams playing each other.

People are mad because their owner sucks, so they get mad at someone elses. Logical.

But two teams that haven't won since 1912 and 1908- that's quite the story.

To tell you the truth, I had no idea whent he last time the White Sox won was. It's not played up enough to gain interest. There was also the opportunity that they had and threw away within the decade.

I think Boston/Cubs would draw as well though.

like Giambi, who had just now starting to get over the fact that the mop and badass goatee are gone.

Yeah, now he looks like a grown up. Perish the thought.

People are mad because their owner sucks, so they get mad at someone elses. Logical.

Whether you agree or not- It's the truth. The Yankees are the most hated team in baseball- and no one cares about the Mets. That's why the Subway Series bombed to the other 99% of the country.

To tell you the truth, I had no idea whent he last time the White Sox won was. It's not played up enough to gain interest. There was also the opportunity that they had and threw away within the decade.

If the ChiSox star advancing- You're gonna have 1912 hammered into your skill- I think a series with the two biggest droughters (or Boston) would sell. I mean come on: SOMEONE has to win

Guest Anglesault

If the ChiSox star advancing- You're gonna have 1912 hammered into your skill- I think a series with the two biggest droughters (or Boston) would sell.

I think having a Series in their grasp and litterally throwing it away hurts the ChiSox a little in that respect. If not for the Black Sox, Chicago might have won in 1919 and the next 10 years. Who knows.

Boston has fucked up over and over and over and over again, but they have never flat out thrown a series, so more people might be willing to see them win.