• Bon Jovi
    • Quiet Riot
    • White Snake
    • Poison
    • Dokken
    • 80's Kiss
    • Warrant
    • Tesla

I didn't include Guns 'n' Roses cause I nor most people wouldn't classify them under as a hariband. I gotta go with the Crue on this one kicked ass for the entire 1980's unlike most of the other bands on this pole who only had a few or no moments of kick ass.

Guest Doyo

I like most of the bands on there better overall, but I will vote for Poison

because if you could look up "hair band" in a dictionary, their picture would

be next to it.

Even though they always get lumped in as 80's, Warrant actually achieved

most of their success in the early 90's.

Hair Metal Pantera is cheesy...

at least you didn't throw Iron Maiden on there or there would be hell broken loose...

Thus I say Crue

Crue all the way. My buddy just picked up the Decade of Decadence CD, and it rules all the way through.

...speaking of Maiden, is anyone planning on picking up the new album on Tuesday?

redbaron51 Posted on Sep 7 2003, 10:23 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hair Metal Pantera is cheesy...

at least you didn't throw Iron Maiden on there or there would be hell broken loose...

Thus I say Crue 

Pantera's "Power Metal" rocks all kinds of ass, I can only assume that the stuff before that(pre Anselmo) is horrible, based on most accounts.

Maiden aren't cheesy Hair Metal, they are cheesy Metal. B-)

And btw, the album is guaranteed to be cheese of the highest order, just look at that cover. Lame.

I'm doomed now ain't I?

Guest Plushy Al Logan

Fuck Grunge, Rap, and whatever is being played now, this is real music.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

For the most part, it's all utter crap, but Crue had a couple good solos, so I picked them. George Lynch can jam, too, but I can't think of any Dokken that stands out to me.

Every other band on that list is interchangeable and bad.

Maiden aren't cheesy Hair Metal, they are cheesy Metal. 

:bonk: :firing:

:headbang:

I've heard lots of positive feedback about the new album, musically. I won't defend the cover, though. Absolutely shitty-looking, and while I was a bit disappointed at the Rock in Rio and Brave New World album covers, at least they aren't this lame-ass CG shit. I've yet to find anyone who doesn't think it sucks. Even the guys who maintain the Maiden site seem to think it is BUTT-ugly because they don't show the whole thing.

Did Derek Riggs stop doing the covers and concept art or something?

There's some controversy about it being put on a "Copy Controlled" CD, but don't know if that's here or just in Europe, because versions of it on regular CDs are out, too.

Have a blast, BAR. I saw them live last month and they were awesome. However, they played mostly the classic stuff, but I guess they had a lot of material to cover of course. Nothing from Brave New World was played other than "The Wicker Man."

"Copy Controlled"? Meaning that you can't make a burned copy of it?

"Copy controlled" as in you shouldn't be able to, but somebody on the Maiden MB already claims he's been able to do it so it doesn't work. It probably just would require more high-end equipment to do so.

Supposedly there's difficulty if you try to play the CD on a computer even, depending on the PC. I'm not very computer literate so I'm not exactly sure of the details.

Chalk it up as another weak attempt by record companies to stop piracy. Nevermind it discourages buying of CDs if you can't rip songs to make CD mixes for personal use, and fails to stop downloading of music since most CDs can be downloaded in their entirety BEFORE the CDs even hit stores.

I'll be buying it myself and listening on my CD player, so it's none of my concern. I'm not sure what version the US is getting, but the ones that are "Copy Controlled" have a sticker on them saying so.

Edited by AndrewTS

Oh, and ON-topic, I voted for Quiet Riot. Kevin DuBrow is a funny sonnuvabitch, it's where Randy Rhoads got his start, and their songs...well, mostly sucked aside from the Slade covers, but oh well.

Edited by AndrewTS

Crue is clearly the superior hairband here. Any band that can have their bandmate, one of their best friends, die on them of an overdose, then give him an adrenaline shot to the heart (a la Pulp Fiction), then write a song about it (Kickstart My Heart) deserves the nod here.

Guest Doyo

Tesla had another hit with "Love Song" and had a little success with "Heaven's Trail"

and "The Way It Is".

"Glam" or "hair" have never really been official forms of music. They are just kind of

terms that get thrown out there to describe the more pop-oriented hard rock.

Most of those bands would never call themselves that. Most any band in the 80's had

long hair. Some of those old pictures of U2 are pretty funny.

Sorry I'm late on this one, BUT:

Brave New World album covers, at least they aren't this lame-ass CG shit.

Actually, half of the Brave New World cover IS CGI. Derek Riggs only drew Eddie in the clouds.

And yes, Derek Riggs is DONE with Maiden. This also explains why Edward the Great has a shitty cover, as do some of the CDs in the box set.

But it's all irrelevant, because while a good cover is nice (And personally, I think this cover had the potential to be good - it's a neat idea, but just done in the worst possible way) it's not essential, and anyone who's opinion on the album will be swayed by the cover before they've actually heard the MUSIC behind it needs to seriously re-think why they listen to music in the first place.

I plan on heading right to HMV after I'm done school tommorrow to get it, by the way.

I vote KISS, to stay on topic here...

But it's all irrelevant, because while a good cover is nice (And personally, I think this cover had the potential to be good - it's a neat idea, but just done in the worst possible way) it's not essential, and anyone who's opinion on the album will be swayed by the cover before they've actually heard the MUSIC behind it needs to seriously re-think why they listen to music in the first place.

Preach on...preach on